Mussels recipes

Sup, guise, I want to make mussels this weekend, but I never tried to cook them before. Recently had them in toamto sauce and they were just perfect. Do you have any good recipes for them without involving wine? Also while cooking them, should they be all covered with sauce/water, or do I just cook them with the lid on and the steam and temperature would be enough?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YKn-PiJJjEM
taste.com.au/recipes/9109/mussels in spicy thai broth
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

make a Paella

I just want mussels with sauce and some crusty bread for dipping, paella is like 90% rice.

It's a common meal here in Belgium, I cook them in a large pan for 6 minutes.

3 cm or 2" of water with celery, carrots, onions, pepper & salt.

I love to make a garlic cream apart (fresh garlic, salt, pepper).

It's really easy and delicious.

Eat the mussels with fries.

Thanks, do you pour garlic cream over them when done or do you use it for dipping?

It depend of your tastes, you can pour it in or using it to dip the mussels and bread, personally i prefer dipping. If the cream is too liquid you can use a bit of Maïzena or flour.

youtube.com/watch?v=YKn-PiJJjEM

Sweat onion, carrot and fennel in olive oil. They don't need to be completely done. Add the mussels, then pour in white wine to cover mussels a little less than half way, cover and cook until the mussels have opened up. It won't take very long. Discard any that don't open. Save the broth to dip with crusty bread.

Thanks, m8, but I explicitly asked for no wine recipes, somehow I don't like winey taste in my food, I preffer it in a glass with my meal.

Just use water like he said

What about something like this?

taste.com.au/recipes/9109/mussels in spicy thai broth

I just add white wine and garlic. And some chopped parsley. They don't need salt, because seawater is obviously salty. Ground pepper goes well with them.
My home is near the sea and I love seafood. (a little island in Western Scotland). Lobster and shellfish are abundant. I just get on my boat and take what nature provides. I never take more than I need. Taking the life of an animal for food is a gift from God.
I put down kreels which are traps for the shellfish. They are box nets. I weigh them down with stones so they don't wash away.
I always say a prayer when I go out to sea. The weather can turn in an instant. The sea is very dangerous.

>They don't need salt, because seawater is obviously salty
What about storebought? Do they need salt?
Also sounds like a dream for me, I'd like to downshift into libing of the land and sea and work manualy, but I live in poorest european coutry and even if I sell my appertment it wouldn't be enough to buy a shack with a scratch of land.

spoken like a true sailor.

I usually just make a kilo pot steaming them in a glass of white wine with shallot for 4 mins then stir in a chunk of butter and chopped parsley. Serve with warm soda bread and a pint of Guinness.

I find them salty enough already, but it depends on your taste, obviously.

>What about storebought?

They still come from the ocean, user. Most likely they don't need salt. But hey, you can always taste the dish you made and add more salt if you think it needs it.

This
And add some beer

Do either
>Mussels Epices
or
>Mussels au Pernod

Both are fantastic. And make sure you have plenty of good baguette to sop up the delicious broth. Serve with a good green salad and maybe a cheese plate for dessert.

>tfw you find a reason to be envious of having not been born french

Saute shallots in white wine and butter. Good white wine. Add debearded mussels and cover until they pop open. Toss any that are still closed. Enjoy.

"I didn't read the OP", the post.

>without involving wine
When doing the mussels in tomato sauce I would not leave out the wine. As the alcohol cooks off the white wine it changes the acid taste of the tomato, replacing it with the acidity from the wine. That's part of what makes the dish delicious, instead of just tasting like seafood cooked with tomatoes.

My favorite creamy version also involves white wine, and is this: fry cleaned, sliced leek in butter. Add salt and pepper. Add washed and de-bearded mussels with a glass or two of white wine. Cover and cook for 6-10 min until mussels have opened. Discard any that didn't open. Finish with generous glug of cream. Serve in bowls with the cooking liquid and bread for sopping. Drink the rest of the white wine with the mussels and have a salad after.

Pretty simple, and fucking classic.