The difference between a good and bad cook

A good cook will taste everything they cook multiple times throughout the cooking process, regardless of how many times they've made the dish.

You taste every time you add a new flavor element or ingredient (obviously excluding proteins by themselves or basic steps like sweating onions/garlic), including anything you're baking. Taste that raw dough/custard/meringue/whatever before you put it in the oven..

If you don't do this, you are an objectively bad cook.

>mrw somebody says they can cook by feel/memorization without tasting

>OP

>i'll post a fat guy on a scooter to refute his point

why

does anybody here even cook?

yes, that doesn't mean they have to rpely to your thread.

>i'll taste these raw, puréed tomatoes I've just added to my caramelised onions and garlic without letting it reduce first because these raw, puréed tomatoes will taste exactly like the finished sauce and I need to check for some reason
wut
also
nobody ever says that. ever. who says "i cook without tasting?" nobody, that's who.

>i'll taste these raw, puréed tomatoes I've just added to my caramelised onions and garlic without letting it reduce first because these raw, puréed tomatoes will taste exactly like the finished sauce and I need to check for some reason

testing for salt level and acidity and stuff will inform your expectations of how it will turn out

>nobody ever says that. ever. who says "i cook without tasting?"

i've seen people on here say that a number of times

you should always taste your raw ingredients, man

What are pictures 1-170 like?

>Making carbonara
>"remember to be a good cook"
>nibble raw pasta
>sip raw egg
>bite chunk of pancetta
>wew this is gonna be gud:)

>he doesn't eat bits of uncooked bacon when making carbonara

It's like you hate life.

why wouldn't you cook a little piece of pancetta before using it in a dish to see how it tastes?

i mean pasta dough is foolproof so it's not super necesary to taste as long as you have a recipe but still, it wouldn't be a bad idea

i do taste the raw egg component for seasoning actually. as do i with sausage meat, pasta fillings and so on. if you're scared your ingredient is gonna kill you why are you using it.

lel

> if you're scared your ingredient is gonna kill you why are you using it.
>This egg contained harmful organisms, but they denatured in seconds! Check this weird tip to find out how!!1!

You don't season raw egg man, it fucks with the consistency once it's cooked

>The difference between a good and bad cock

I could tell you a lot of stories senpai.

>i've seen people on here say... a number of times [that they don't taste as they cook]
then find me a number of examples
>>>/warosu/
>>>/4chandata/

>plebs don't eat all ingredients raw, over time building up a resistance to all bacteria

Enjoy dying, faggots.

>cook by feel/memorization without tasting
oi you calling gamgam a bad cook you faggot?

Gamgam WAS a bad cook, but you always pretended her turkey wasnt dry and the gravy was the best ever.

>found the shit cook

>not having "ethnic" grandmothers
You Anglos and your dry-ass roasts ought to be ashamed.
I gotta admit, though, you guys sure do know how to make some delicious-as-fuck gravy. Well, when you're not using gravy granules, anyway.

I cook for a living now, but god dammit if the concepts of brining and continually basting a turkey and then using the giblets/drippings/roux to make gravy werent known to her.

I decided I'm gonna make turkey faggots this Christmas because fuck dry-ass turkey.
Gonna get some boneless turkey meat, some liver and gizzards and a bit of streaky bacon for fat and flavour and have the butcher run them all through the mincer for me.
Form the faggots, wrap in caulfat or turkey skin roast them shits then finish in some nice turkey onion gravy.
pic related

I sometimes taste before I add herbs or something, so i know its too salty or sweet. Im pretty confident with pasta sauces so i dont bother with that, and theres often other dishes that you know won't be too fucked up with minimal additions.

Ops a fagit

Look up jacque pepin's poultry roulade video.. Turkey roulades are badass and you can fill it with other animal parts like pork sausage or whatever.>taste after adding herbs
>so you know if its too salty or sweet

youre an idiot, and youre especially stupid for thinking you can make a batch of sauce without tasting throughout.. Even if you know the recipe by heart.

`This is how you cook meat when you can't use a thermometer or cut into the flesh (bcus presentation). By the feel.

We're talking about flavor, not texture user. Of course you can check doneness by feel with sufficient experience. But what does that have to do with the taste?

>durr, can tomatos, onion and garlic. I wonder how it taste good and stuff?

you are fucking dumb, and a fat bastard

how the fuck do you season a sauce without tasting it?

Like i get it, im sure i could get from canned tomatoes/raw onions/garlic to a red sauce but theres no way you can season without tasting as you go.

Why are you so against making sure something you cook tastes good?

I seldom taste the food I am making and because of it get scolded by my grandmother who taught me how to cook.

Not him, but you don't 'taste as you go' when making that sort of a sauce.
You season at the end. See, once the sauce is reduced, you taste it, adjust salt if/as necessary, then stir in whatever herb you intend to use.
Before that point, the only salt you should be adding is to the onion and garlic at the very beginning, just enough to help them sweat and release moisture, but not enough to season the tomatoes once you add them.
Because of this, there's no reason to taste it until the sauce is reduced because if you adjust the seasoning at the point where it's half cooked, it will reduce to be too salty by the time it's finished.

>say they can cook
>can cook
>difference between a good and bad cook
food as a whole, actually, not flavour

I do this whenever I cook. I'm never hungry when the meal is actually finished. Its suffering.

>giblets/drippings/roux to make gravy
What?!
you just put water on the powder.

Powder gravy sucks ass.

Well I'm sorry we aren't all michelin starred french gravy chefs.

You don't need to be a fucking pro to make a basic gravy from pan drippings stock, and wine.

implying I have pan drippings
implying I have stock
implying I have wine.

Yes, I am implying that. Of course you have drippings: they came from whatever you want to put the gravy on.

Wine and stock are kitchen staples. They're as basic as salt and pepper.

pepper sounds exotic

Yes
I don't even care if I not a good Cook
I just learn from my parents and grandparents