Frying some chicken tonight, my third time doing so. The plan is to dip in egg, flour, then breadcrumbs...

Frying some chicken tonight, my third time doing so. The plan is to dip in egg, flour, then breadcrumbs. Should I dip in egg first, then flour? Or vice versa? Should I do that twice over before breadcrumbs? Any other advice?

No breadcrumbs or eggs. Seasoned flour, then buttermilk, then flour again.

>go to serious eats
>type in "fried chicken"
>pick any of Kenji Lopez-alts techniques

He just put up a food lab on "southern fried chicken"

Adapt that for whatever you're doing.

I'll give you my tips for the best fried chicken. This has been passed down for generations, but you know, take it or leave it as you wish.

>marinate chicken overnight in either a mixture of buttermilk and seasonings OR salt water and seasonings (they both achieve pretty much the same thing, but the buttermilk adds a bit more tangy flavor)
>drain chicken and roll in seasoned flour (I use a mixture of flour, pepper, salt, paprika, granulated garlic, granulated onion, and cayenne, but your seasonings are up to you)
>let chicken sit in the fridge for 30 minutes, so the coating has time to attach to the chicken.
>roll chicken again in flour mixture
>fry in pure lard if you can, if not, peanut oil or rice bran oil. Those are the three best options for frying chicken. Unless you can accumulate enough bacon fat to fry the chicken, which makes delectable chicken, but that's a LOT of bacon fat.
>the fat should be at 350F, fry till golden on both sides, drain over a wire rack in the oven while you fry other pieces
>serve immediately for insanely crispy and juicy chicken, but it's also still great to take cold on picnic or other outdoor event.

Fuck. I forgot the key flour mixture ingredient. Use 1 part corn or potato starch to 3 parts flour. Makes the coating more crispy.

Confit fried chicken is fucking amazing.

I always do flour>egg>crumbs

Pleb tier

thanks user, i'll incorporate this next time

make sure the chicken is DRY (pat it with paper towels)
then dip in seasoned flour first
egg second
then panko breadcrumbs

WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH THIS BREADCRUMB SHIT.
STOP IT.

You're welcome, bro. Hope your chicken turns out great.

sitting in fridge for 30 minutes is completely unnecessary. your seasoning doesn't adhere to your chicken because you didn't DRY YOUR CHICKEN properly before coating in flour. it doesn't matter if you use buttermilk soak, the point of that is to tenderize the chicken -- which an overnight soak does, come time to fry you need to dry the pieces then batter before frying

here, when I deep fry chicken I am usually making a cordon bleu or kiev, idgaf about muh southern heritage shit, breadcrumbs work great

Sorry, you're wrong. I've spent many years making fried chicken, both professionally and at home, and my technique stands. So, you know, fuck off with your shit tier opinions.

>I am usually making a cordon bleu or kiev,

which is completely DIFFERENT from fried chicken.

it is deep fried chicken, exactly what OP was asking about

Anyone who uses batter for fried chicken is making carnival tier abominations.

He was asking about BONE IN fried chicken, faggot, not chicken breasts that have been flattened and stuffed. Very, very different.

FPBP
Throw a little cayenne in the flour

>spends years mastering art of making fried chicken
>his batter falls off the chicken as soon it hits the boiling hot oil

duck torturer!

bread crumbs? why?

Cooked fried chicken for a shit hole for years in high schoool. I do it at home every now and then to stay sharp. I like bread crumbs but not for fried chicken, bucko.

How much time does it takes to fry the chicken?

I don't know why confit poultry isn't more popular with home cooks. It's fucking effortless, foolproof, and the results are always delicious.

It takes too long and you need a fuck ton of fat or a PERFECTLY shaped container so you can get away with minimal fat

I'd rather just buy it

You're a faggot.

I wish you were dead.

>spends years mastering art of making fried chicken
>his batter falls off the chicken as soon it hits the boiling hot oil

>Being this butthurt and wrong

I just season my chicken and put it in flour then hot oil.

Have I been doing it wrong all this time?