Are there any craft brewers who use pre-prohibiton recipes?

Are there any craft brewers who use pre-prohibiton recipes?

If you want a beer that is using a pre-prohibition recipe/method you'll need to import or a time machine.

Sam Adams lager is literally based off of a pre-prohibition recipe.

Sam Adams is run by a Jew who shills whatever bullshit he wants. Pre-prohibition no one was writing down recipes. You were taught directly how to brew beer and I doubt he was taught by anyone from that era.

>Following Jim Koch’s great-great grandfather’s recipe, Samuel Adams continued to use traditional brewing processes, including decoction mash (a four vessel process) and krausening (a secondary fermentation).

This is pretty much common knowledge for anyone who knows anything about beer and brewing.

Basically he is using the same techniques as others your saying and you won't get anything out of his beer you wouldn't get out of one of its contemporaries?

Back before I was an alcy I used to homebrew. I remember I got this one book of recipes that used raisins to bottle carb.

Think it Was just called prohibition style ale. Can't remember the name of the book though.

I would guess Anchor Steam does.

That made since date is bullshit.

YOU NASTY MOTHERFUCKERS SAM ADAMS IS TOILET WATER. GOT IT?

Well, at least you have to give it to them that their process to this day is rather unusual (primary in open vats, lager yeast brewed at (almost) ale temperatures). From what I've read their current beer is also relatively characteristic of what you'd expect of a pre-prohibition San Francisco steam beer.

Thanks Captain Obvious.

All I was saying was that it is brewed according to a pre-prohibition recipe, no more and not less, and that's exactly what the OP was asking about.

He is using some processes that are claimed to be traditional. That's all we really know. Anything beyond that is assumption. His great great grandpappy handed him down a recipe for beer? Highly doubtful. If it had said it was passed down from him then it would be more credible but still dubious.

I have never known someone to fall for marketing so easily and willingly.

Who's to say that he actually likes the beer or not?

Personally I find Sam Adams to be pretty nasty. I've only ever tasted it once. I've never bought it myself. Yet I happen to "know" that it's supposedly a traditional recipe. Does knowledge about a product automatically mean that someone likes it?

>all i was saying was that it is brewed according to a pre-prohibition recipe, no more and no less
>oh my god! he fell for the marketing and actually believes a well-known fact about one of the first major craft breweries in the country! he must love that shit and suck that guy with the beard and suspender's dick on a daily basis!

This is how stupid you sound.

Never mentioned an assumption of his preferences but the quote sounds like marketing spin.

Craft beer is a con and everything about his business is a con yet you are happy to believe some of the con is fact?

>craft beer is a con

Stopped reading there. You obviously have no clue what you're talking about, and probably aren't even old enough to buy your own beer.

Don't tell me on top of being a craft beer hipster you are a nu male as well? Come clean user.

>Implying Americans somehow forgot all their brewing knowledge over the span of a decade when they were brewing anyways.

>Bath tub gin and ethanol for medical purposes is still brewing user.

>people all over the country and now the world homebrew
>some of those people made a decent product and actually started their own business selling it, not owned by a multi-national corporation, making beers they liked that weren't rice adjunct lager budweiser clones
>other people actually realized that beer can taste good and the craft brewing boom began
>"i-it's totally a con!"

What kind of an upside down, crackpot tinfoil world do you live in where there's actually some kind of rationale behind that line of thought?

>nu male

Oh, you're just shitposting and have no clue what you're talking about. Thanks for wasting my time.

You really are far gone, drank the koolaid, and now spout hipster memes for a living.

>all beer other than the adjunct lagers I like is a con because I don't like it!
>hurr durr nu male

You're just as bad as that retard is for replying to his shitpost in anything resembling a serious way. Mock and move on.

Belgium, Germany, England, and the Czech Republic have been making great beer for a very long time. Where the fuck are you from that you couldn't get good beer before the ultra-hoppy, disgusting American style IPA trend came along?

I don't drink alcohol. It is microbial waste that literally rots away your brain and kills your liver.

America, where we had this thing called "prohibition" a while back and the hundreds of breweries we then had were forced to shut down. Afterwards a few shitty breweries came to dominate the market and so aside from imports, America became a beer wasteland for about half a century. Then craft brewing took off and now America has the best beer scene in the entire world.

>the more you know

>I don't like hops therefore nobody does
>everyone is exactly the same and likes the same things
>all american craft beer is massively hoppy

If you wanna drink pilsners and other lighter varieties of beer nobody's gonna stop you user, just recognize that other people might have different taste. Not everything is a feminist conspiracy.

>I don't drink
>posting in a beer thread

Why do adults pick on kids? Why do kids pick on the mentally handicapped? You alchies are my lessers and are here for my amusement.

Do you seriously think you're trolling or triggering anyone, though? Half the reason I come here is to work my brain a little to stop it from dying so fast, and when I see something I don't like I simply stop looking at it or take another swig. What's your excuse?

No matter how much you work it that won't save it from the alcohol.

>medical purposes
Just like medical marijuana today.

VIRGIN
VIRGIN
VIRGIN

>Pre-prohibition no one was writing down recipes.
are you fucking retarded?

>are you fucking retarded?

I'm not the poster that posted that post, but as the one that did not post that post I have to say that I may indeed be retarded (or some other rmore better way of expressing that, you ungracious cunt) but yes indeed I may be retarded.

And what's it to you?

Foookin' Eeeegit.

When did humans have the capability to brew a beer that wasn't sour?

coors light is pretty good

spoken like someone who doesn't know the true purpose of beer.

surly used a pre prohibition recipe for their lager #merica. its meh.

I believe ethanol was used mostly as an antiseptic so no not like your medical pot.

Incorrect, the brewery crash was in the 70s-80s

You need to learn your history kid. There were hundreds upon hundreds of breweries in America and prohibition wiped them all out. The entire alcohol culture of America was decimated in a matter of moments. When the booze started flowing again there were very few involved in alcohol in America for a very long time.

>beer being 'pre-prohibition' is a good selling point

Beer is better now than it's ever been. Most beer then were shit. Worse hop varieties and worse everything else. Drinking archaic beer recipes is fun as a novelty act maybe once, then you instantly long for a modern, real, actually good beer again. One exception is Anchor Steam Beer that is bretty gud.

There were probably a lot more duds but back then they were just trying to get drunk. Though because of probability and the wider variety of independent brews, there would have been more good beer producers as well but they would have been much more local. In the end your chances of finding a good tasting beer back then in your community were probably just as high as it would be today.

>Writing was invented during prohibition

Recipes were always written down but people didn't have access to unlimited videos demonstrating the techniques back then.

Recipe writing didn't become a preoccupation until the later half of the 20th century. Sure there were written recipes and cookbooks before then but there were very few since passing on recipes depended more heavily on an oral tradition and demonstration. With more women going to work than ever before, less culinary knowledge being passed down, higher demand for consistency in food production, and growing affluence allowing one to afford what one wanted rather than making do you saw the proliferation of cookbooks and written recipes.

He's referring to all of those small, regional breweries (e.g. Blatz) that were bought up in the '60s and '70s.

I know we used to have a fuckton here in the Midwest, though I've never gotten a consistent answer in regards to their quality.

Yeah, I think you're right that this would be the closest. It's not like beer post prohibition is radically different. Just stay away from the american light ales and the west coast hop bombs and you'll see the older beer styles.