>avocados are 4 dollars each
>have to wait a week for it to ripen before I can even make guacamole
>bought peppers and cilantro at the same time I bought avocados
>the peppers and cilantro have withered by the time the avocados ripened

Other urls found in this thread:

thepacker.com/news/avocado-prices-shoot-lower-volumes-strong-demand
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>$4 avocados
What?! They're $1 a piece here. I'll mail you some if you want. They should even be riped when they get to you.

I'm currently living in flyover land and even when avocados were completely out of season they were rarely more than $1 a piece.

Why would you even bother if they were that expensive? Just buy some pre-made grocery store guacamole instead; they probably used better tasting avocados anyway, and you can always doctor it up with other fresh ingredients without having to wait for your Brazilian avocados to fully ripen.

>have to wait a week for it to ripen
Why didn't you just buy ripe avocados?

go to a farmer market, they have ripe ones

>premade grocery store guac
people eat that shit? it's not even the right colour

Buy ripe avocados you nerd

unripe avocados is a worthless commodity

Not OP, but I live in British Columbia and the large grocery chain around me has avocados for $3 a pop. my local store sells them for 99c though, so maybe OP just needs to shop around a bit more.

Most stores around me make it in house, so it's not like it was made with 100 preservatives 1000 miles away in a factory somewhere. One place usually has samples out and there's nothing wrong with it other than being heavily under-seasoned and bland, which is easy to fix at home. $4 for an avocado is just ludicrous.

>tfw I buy ripe avocados for 40ct. each at he vietnamese grocery store
>tfw first world country

life is GREAT

>it's not like it was made with 100 preservatives
it is though
good guac turns black if you don't eat in within a few hours

That's called oxidation and is easily prevented by adding some acidity and using a lid that squishes directly down on the surface so that there's no contact with any air.

where do you fucking live op

>most expensive fruit/vegetable at the supermarket
>is absolutely disgusting unripe and equally disgusting when over-ripened, unlike bananas or other fruit
>window of perfect ripeness is exactly 1 hour, then it instantly becomes inedible tripe

Fuck this retarded vegetable

it's a good tradeoff though because it's pretty fucking good

I live in hollywood

Some mexican lady told me that if you leave the avocado seed in the guacamole it helps keep it green longer. I don't know if it really helps because I put a decent amount of lime juice in my guac so I don't know if that's what helps keep it a nicer color longer.

a peruvian lady told me exactly the same so it must be true

Its really not even that amazing.
I can see if it were cheap then sure, justifiable for having to time it to hit the right time window.

But it's not, it's insanely expensive, it's a fairly bland tasting vegetable, and you need like 4 of them to make any decent bowl of guac.
In fact the only reason guac is any good is because of all the other shit you put into it. The avocado is just a big, neutral tasting goop to hold it together.

seems like it's your just diifferent taste

i like them, i like to eat them raw

A Jaguar Warrior told me there's nothing wrong with adding MSG

my dad always does that but it may be a wives tale sort of situation

>avocado
>NEUTRAL TASTING

nigger WHAT? did you burn off your tastebuds or something? have you never eaten a good avocado in your life? avocados taste nuttier than the nut I busted in your mom's nutshell

Avocado also renders the spice away from peppers so you have to use a lot if you want to make it spicy. You can add 2 habaneros to guacamole and not even be able to feel the heat.

Most recipes recommend 2-3 peppers, but that's because anymore and the guacamole's texture is ruined.

Put them inside paper bags and in two days they will be ready for eating.

Even faster if you put a banana or apple in there with it. The ethylene gas those fruits emit ripens the avocado.

I live in Maryland and avocados are literally 2 for 4 dollars at the giant

what the fuck 2 dollars for an avocado? that's ridiculous

>ethylene gas
>not vespene gas

Supply and demand. The Mexican drug cartel Hass avocado crops have all but shipped, and the Cinco de Mayo ad campaigns were apparently very successful this year, so demand is up. This article suggests prices should start falling again soon for the end of the season. Hope so. A $2+ avocado is pretty lame.

thepacker.com/news/avocado-prices-shoot-lower-volumes-strong-demand

does it ripen faster if I use both a banana and an apple?

Sounds like a good experiment. I don't know how much ethylene gas various fruits emit. I don't see how it would make them ripen avocados more slowly though. Might just be a volume thing. I bet one avocado in a bag full of bananas would ripen in mere hours. But would banana flavor permeate the avocado?

>guacamole is bland
>don't know what to add

Are you fucking shopping at whole foods or what? You're in California go to your local mexican market.

its because it sits on top and blocks the air from reaching it. you will be better off using cling wrap and pushing out the air bubbles

just look up a recipe. if its still bland add a pinch of salt. its not supposed to explode with flavor

avacados are so fucking nasty the textures is like fucking this nasty fucking paste
disgusting people like acavados
and they are the same people who sit there and think its appeitizing to drench every fucking thing with a pound of liquid cheese

I get these bags of avocados for $5 from latino guys on the side of the roads. they are smaller sized avocados but there is usually 40 or so of them. pic related. I eat guacamole everyday.

Jelly. Wish we had Latinos here. All we have is Asians, and they don't hock stuff on the side of the road.

we have lots of asians too and you know what they dont sell stuff on the side of the road either...go figure

they ripen over time and you can wait to eat them you mongoloid

Forgot how much I like avocado. There must be something about the fat content that makes it deeply satiating. I like just making a simple salad of sliced avocado with lime juice and olive oil drizzled over it, a little salt and pepper. I think I could eat one of these pimply testicle fruits every day.

if you buy them ripe then you don't have to wait as long to eat them

Avocados are like 4€ each here because muh fitness

west germany, hard as fuck tasteless avocado for 2-3 euros.

life is suffering

Penny and Aldi have them for 1,29€ each, 0,88€ for sale. In Asia stores you can find them for 1€ each

>want to make guacamole
>I fuck up and have to wait a week for it to ripen before I can even make guacamole
>I fuck up by buying the peppers and cilantro at the same time I bought avocados
>the peppers and cilantro have withered by the time the avocados ripened

>too stupid to let them ripen
>too dumb to find them at €1, hint: fucking everywhere
>west germany

moron

Go to a market.

Produce is waaaay cheaper there, I can buy a box of 9 mangos for 1 euro.

well, i have just taken mine from the trashbin. Those retards always throw them away just when they become ripe.
could anybody tell me what quick meal can i make out of those?

do you live in alaska?

>wives tale

>tfw my home town has a yearly avocado festival
>either just pick em off the tree in your own yard or if you don't have one buy them off a stand on the side of the road for a quarter apiece
>half that if you buy a bunch

> live in SoCal
> avocados 3 or 4 for a dollar, underripe, but just wait, or let them chill with bananas.
>buy guac every now and again from the tiny Mexican mercado
>Guac is delicious, but those estupida Abuelas leave 3 pits inside
That old wives tale exists because when you use al old avocado, and pull the pit out, the area with the pit is still green. That's because when the pit covers it, there is no oxidation. Same with apples or wine. THIS IS WHY YOU ADD LIMEJUICE! Add lime juice while dipping, and then, before you store your guac, use a spoon to flatten the guac, and then squeeze more lime juice to cover the the top. Then in a day or two, it will all remain green, since the oxygen could not get to it!! Just mix the lime juice in and repeat!!! THEMORE YOU KNOW!!!

>Wife's son's tale

Any tips how to use these retarded shit fruits I tried to make something with them once and it turned to shit damn fast

Squeeze lime/lemon juice on it after you have diced/mashed it.

Also the rest of your produce doesn't spoil while waiting