Anyone got any good recipes for homemade mozzarella sticks?

Anyone got any good recipes for homemade mozzarella sticks?

Sure:
Get mozz
Flour, egg wash, panko
Deep fry

I would use italian style bread crumbs because of the herbs and spices in them.

I'd rather put that in the sauce. Adding herbs to the breading is kinda silly, IMHO. The heat involved destroys a lot of the flavor, and it also tends to contaminate your frying oil more than leaving them out.

you can use wonton wraps if you want something a little different

This. Just make sure it's low-moisture mozzarella.

Pretty sure you need to make sure the mozzarella is frozen before you deep fry it.

All of the best mozzarella sticks I've had used herbs in the coating like the op's pic.

It helps, but it's not strictly necessary.

Sure, because it's easier for fast food places to do that. And they don't really care much about the longevity of the oil since they replace it daily anyway.

I was simply suggesting a better method that is practical for a home cook. But hey, if you like to use the herbs in the breading then go right ahead.

>heat destroys flavor
>posted on a cooking board

It is easy to do at home. They sell bread crumbs already with the herbs in it thus italian style bread crumbs. I believe that's what they call them. You were suggesting pre-bought breadcrumbs anyway unless you thought op should make his own panko. Also most people will be throwing the oil out after one or two uses anyway. They won't be passing it down to their children. Probably a better idea to use a small cast iron pan filled with oil rather than a deep fryer. Saves oil if you are so concerned.

The extreme temps of frying do reduce flavor.

Yes, I agree it's easy to do at home. I'm with you 100% there.

My point was that I wouldn't want to do that at home since I normally get dozens of uses out of my frying oil, and I'd rather not have to throw it out (or have everything taste of oregano) after cooking these.

In my opinion simply putting italian herbs on the sticks as a topping or added to the dipping sauce is a win-win: it keeps the oil clean, and it does an even better job of flavoring since the herbs aren't subjected to frying temperatures.

Something to keep in mind if I ever make my own sticks since I do find many restaurant and frozen food sticks to be quite bland.

the coating gets that way by adding herbs and spices directly after they come out of the oil

>Corn starch
>Egg white
>Bread crumbs, seasoned how you like
>Back into the egg white
>Back into the bread crumbs
>Set in the freezer for half an hour
>Fry hot and fast, if you see little beads of cheese starting to burst through the breading, it's done.

Young provolone and a mexican cheese called either "Asadero" or "quesadilla" are good alternatives to low moisture mozz if you're looking to try something different.

I once tried that.
Evoid this recipe unless youre a big lard ass without shame and stadarts

Never got it to work, kept unraveling. Ended up microwaving them and calling it a day

This +salt the flour

heat does destroy flavor
just look at a steak you faggot

>extreme temps of frying do reduce flavor.
>extreme temps
Holy shit you're stupid.

The first time I realized frying killed flavor was with tempura'd vegetables. Everything tasted the same and everything tasted like nothing. No idea how it is so popular. Probably people just like it for the crunch.

Whenever I make mozzarella sticks they never turn out as good as at restaurants. Even when I dip them in crumbs twice and freeze them for awhile they usually still leak, and the cheese never seems to get as melty and stiffens up quickly.

I love a pot of near boiling oil filled with burned cheese floating all over in it when they mess up and just fall apart. Mix in some corn starch or flour and you have a nice southern breakfast gravy.