Bread thread - rustic edition

This time I made the ciabatta with sourdough.

It's different. It's good. But I think I like the sour flavor better in a rye bread. If I were to make this again I'd add olive oil to give the savory tones more depth.

I'm very happy with the bubbles. I let two spoons of starter ferment for 3 hours, then proof for another 1, no kneading. It's a wheat/rye starter that began life as a pure wheat culture.

Show us your bread.

Other urls found in this thread:

samartha.net/sd/procedures/PPN01/index.html
abreadaday.com/westphalian-pumpernickel/
youtube.com/watch?v=E9MoLyyR088
youtube.com/watch?v=ZvgUySdbC3o
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Here's the fluff.

For comparison: this is the yeast version.

I used dry yeast because the leftover fresh yeast I had caught a cheese mold in the fridge. I had a little trouble with the oven, leaving the circulation fan on with the steam already in. It made the crust a little softer.

OP, I don't know what the fuck you just said, but that is some damn fine looking bread.

Would eat with balsamic and olive oil

Thank you very much.

I used to make a lot of bread in my school's foods class and I want to make more but I worry that without those recipes it will be hard to make sure what I'm doing is right, what's the most trusted book/site for bread recipes you know?

Jas Townsend makes lots of historic breads on YT.

Honestly, it isn't so much recipes and more experience. You have to make the yeast happy. The ingredients are always flour, water, salt, and leaven.

King Arthur's website.

Anybody got tips for a pound cake.
Made one and it came out really dense. and not fluffy like entemans

I have to revise.

With cold cuts and cheese the sourdough is excellent. The sour tinge still shines through, but it fits. Will make again.

I don't really know pound cake. It that leavened with yeast? Most cakes are made with bicarbonate. The only exceptions I know are brioche and pannettone which are both sweet breads. Pie base can be made with yeast.

Bicarbonate doesn't structure the dough like yeast does. It just bubbles when it gets hot or sour.

Try 3 things:

Wet your flour the night before and leave it covered for a night before adding sugar, fat, and baking powder. This will allow the gluten to get more sticky.

Add a drop (not a dash!) of lemon juice. The acid will help the baking powder make bubbles. But it will also activate it before heating, so put it in the oven soon.

Use more water. Make the dough wet and sticky, it should really draw strings when pulled. Makes it harder to work with, but it also amps up the steam created in the dough during baking. This steam will inflate the bicarbonate bubbles before the structure sets, giving you a fluffier structure.

Alright, having looked it up, pound cake is unleavened. The only thing in there that could provide structure is the egg, and that isn't whisked, so it doesn't. It is supposed to be a brick.

Don't like it? Add baking powder.

Alright, I need a recipe, I can't figure out what the heck it is.
It's a type of bread that they eat in the Greek army that doesn't have yeast, and it's made with a special type of flour.
I was thinking maybe the flour was Emmer, a greek cereal flour that was common in Ancient Greece and Rome and is related to wheat, but I don't know anything else about it, but it might not even be emmer that I need. Basically I was wondering if any of you could assist me in searching for old Army Bread recipes.

And this is my repost of my bread.

Still no idea.

>scoring ciabatta
once again, doing it wrong

Pound cake is 1 part flour, 1 part sugar, 1 part butter.

The end result is all in how it's mixed and in what order.

Damn it.

>Pound cake is 1 part flour, 1 part sugar, 1 part butter.
No.

It's a sourdough wheat baked ciabatta style. If you don't like the scoring, wait till you taste the acidity. It goes great with cheese.

Please see for the classic interpretation.

I made a bread

white bread is so nasty. Needs more whole grains.

I got sick of my sourdough starter growing too fast and smelling like acetone/alcohol constantly, so I just said fuck it and now I'm making a loaf of unleavened rye mush. Here it is sitting in the pan, "malting" or whatever they call it. Gonna wait until tomorrow around mid-day (20-24 hours after I put it in the pan) to actually bake it for 4 hours.

I made another bread

Looks pretty good, but you could probably bump up the hydration level a bit. From the pictures it looks less like a ciabatta and more like baguette, which probably means either your dough or your poolish didn't have enough water. Nice crust and shape though.

The dough was as wet as can be. It was a wobbly blob that could only be moved on a sheet.

I didn't really use poolish. The complete dough just sat for an hour or two before I put it in shape and let it proof for another hour.

First time making a banana bread, still has like half an hour to go.

Never used a bread machine before. Are they worth using? Seems like it would kind of limit what types of bread you an make...

It's actually the first time I've read properly how to make bread and got proper flour so I'll let you know after. It's my partner's machine, so didn't really look into how good they are.

At least it's pretty easy, don't have to do a lot of work.

That bread looks so damn good.

10/10 user.

>tfw no bread-baking boyfriend to put a bun in MY oven

They're like crockpots and rice cookers, so yes. They do limit you to making a few specific types of bread. Those few specific types they do pretty well and it's ridiculously simple. Everything else they don't do well at all.

I use mine for pizza dough.

Looks okay to me.

I would eat it by myself, but I wouldn't offer it to friends, family, or co-workers.

Haha thanks. I'm hungover though, so I don't really feel like eating it, but tasted a bit. It was pretty okay I think.

Bread machines are shit. It's like using a microwave for making steak. It has the wrong heat, the wrong humidity, the wrong bake time, it's just bad. And for just having a timed kneading machine that takes up a lot of space, they're pretty expensive.

Get a pizza stone or a fire clay tile and a wide metal dish to put water in your normal kitchen oven. Should run you about $20 new, so get something old for free. It stores away easily. And it will make you baker quality breads.

I want my oven preheated as hot as it goes, a real wood fired oven would get twice as hot. The clay holds a lot of that heat and transfers it to the dough much more quickly than circulating air. With the dough I put in the water and turn off any circulation. The steam also transfers more heat than air, and it keeps the crust from drying too quickly. Lower heat and keep an eye on it. That's it, perfect bread every time.

A bread machine just gets kind of warm for a much longer time. The bread has no crust and it gets stale quickly. There is no steam inside making it fluffy. So bread machine mixes often contain bicarbonate as well as yeast which also influences flavor.

And they always bake the kneading hook into the bread.

That looks good.

Could have more crust, are you using steam at all?

Thanks. I had a pan of boiling water beneath it. I think my oven is shit and vents the steam too fast for it to really be effective, but it's better than nothing.

It shouldn't vent at all when you're baking. The circulation feature is for making lasagna or casserole faster.

Baked it for 6.5 hours. Gonna put the foil back on top and let it cool down, then I'll take it out of the pan and wrap it in plastic and foil for a day or two two let the moisture level homogenize. Even without cutting it I know the inside is almost liquid while the outside is pretty hard. I didn't expect it to "rise" as much as it did. Pretty impressive for an unleavened bread. Ended up getting squished by the aluminum foil and getting that ugly looking crater in the center.

I'm excited. First time trying to make real rye bread and if it turns out well I'll never have to go to the hipster import store to buy German bread again.

That sounds like a really peculiar method. Also unless your flour is sterilized there is always a little leaven in it from wind borne yeasts.

I have heard of similar strategies for those long lasting shredded barley or rye breads. Where is your recipe from?

I was originally going to use the recipe here
samartha.net/sd/procedures/PPN01/index.html

But after three weeks of fighting a sourdough starter that I literally could not feed fast enough I gave up and went for a non-authentic recipe here
abreadaday.com/westphalian-pumpernickel/

It's not authentic because it has some wheat flour and molasses in it, but it was unleavened so I decided to just go with it before I lost another weekend. He baked his for 4 hours, but my pan is way bigger, and I ended up leaving it in until it stopped smelling like "fermented mash" and started smelling like "bread". I imagine if I left it for another good 10 hours it would turn into proper black bread, but I'll save that kind of time slot for when I actually go back to the original sourdough recipe.

Yeah, pumpernickel is steam baked for a day to get its dark brown color.

Yeah this hasn't been cooked long enough to be called pumpernickel. At best it's "German rye". At worst it's "user's failed chemistry experiment".

I can already tell I'm going to be too impatient to wait a whole two days to slice it. After I get back from dinner tonight I'm going to tear into it. I have to know what the inside looks like. I can feel it taunting me from inside of it's cocoon already.

>circulation feature
That's not what I'm talking about - it's just an old, shitty oven that's not very efficient and will vent out a lot of heat and steam.

But that's okay. So do traditional bread ovens.

hello Veeky Forums I made bread for the first time today. here is the first bread I have ever made c:

I found the hiding place for that other board and hopefully haven't made too much of a stir.

That looks tasty.

There is room for improvement, but it has risen, it has a crust. That's bread. And you even knew to cut the top. Well done.

looks good. personally, i would have left it in the oven a bit longer, but I like darker crusts.

White sourdough with 10% wholemeal. I've got such a rager for this bread.

Loosely followed the Tartine book but mixed to 75% gluten development and used less folds during bulk proof.

The second loaf is sitting in the fridge, hopefully getting it's sour on

Those are some huge bubbles!

Anyone else here bake bread professionally? Just started about a year ago and would like to have a conversation about it.

Yep, that's a lot of negative bread.

4/10.

Bread is all about negative space. That's why we put leaven in.

Not all bread is intended to look like pic related

>it's meant to be bad

I made bread for my game night crew last week. We have a jar everyone puts money into to buy ingredients with. Does that count?

As I understand it professional bakers have to work inside very tight margins and most baked goods today are fabricated at industrial bakeries using lab quality leaven with enzymes far from any natural process. Those ovens in bakeries and gas stations? Those just reheat the stuff for a few minutes so that it smells really strongly. The smell is also managed with artificial enzymes.

The only actual professional baker I know who does what I would consider making bread is the one at the farmer's market.

But that's Europe. We used to have actual bakeries on every other street 20 years ago. They disappeared a few years before the butchers did. Now it's all chain store markets. No one can compete.

How do you do it?

Yeah but your not supposed to get air bubbles like the other pics genius. Hence the cuts on top.

Starting a new experiment, looking for maximum rise.

I mixed white wheat flour with water and put it away unrefrigerated over night. Tomorrow I will add sourdough starter and attempt to make rolls.

Who said you aren't supposed to get air bubbles?

It's a style of bread. Plus more volume equals more $

that's not the point, nobody except you implied that scoring affects the flavor. the point is that with a dough like ciabatta, you don't expect much oven spring which makes scoring pointless, and in my opinion detracts from the aesthetic appeal of your bread.

It's mediocre but filling. Dinner tonight is two slices with some nice cheese and one slice toasted with butter.

spelt bread

crumb

Seriously dude? This is one of the silliest posts ive ever seen on this board.

If people keep feeding the troll it won't go away.
I just fed my starter. It's bubbling.

Who exactly would you consider the troll in this situation my dear user. Atyeast tell me that.

Really? Some accolade. And a totally wrong and uninformed perspective

Have you tried reducing the hydration of your starter? Mine was the same but now it goes a day between feedings and smells ok

Rate my rolls?

6 / knot

That poolish is mad!

It's one stringy blob. Very sticky and very stretchy. It had 3 popped bubbles on it, probably from mixing. It's basically inert. But it has become glue over night.

I just mixed in a teaspoon of starter and a little flour because it was too wet to handle. Now I'm letting the sourdough spread for an hour or two, I used very little.

I will not be kneading this again. It will just be shaped and allowed to proof. Should be done in a few hours. And I'm really excited to see what happens.

HOW IS BAGGLE FORMED?

No, seriously, I have decided that fresh bagels with Philadelphia schmear and sprouts is probably the best breakfast in the world. I make my own bread, but I've never seen bagels made. What's the process? Are they steamed? The hole implies some fast bake heat pervasion magic.

Any experts around?

Cook's illustrated has a great bagel recipe. They retard the rising process by keeping it overnight in the fridge. They have a great chew to them.

Their page is too overladen with scripts for my browser. All I get is the frame.

But I gathered that bagels are boiled? For how long?

Haven't made them in awhile, it isn't long. Just enough to form crust on the outside before you place them on the sheet for the oven. Couple minutes

Not the guy you responded to and i know very little about bread but whybis he uninformed for wanting to make bread that doesnt have massive holes in it?

The best way is to boil them.

I'll experiment.

that's either under cooked or you don't know how to let the dough rise

Yes, very constructive. Thanks!

Okay. Overhydrated.

The texture is fine, lots of small bubbles, some medium. But the shape is all pancake.

I live in Montréal, basically the other city in North America apart from NYC that has an obsession with bagels. We normally boil them in honeyed water or malt water.

Here`s a couple of our shops doing it:

youtube.com/watch?v=E9MoLyyR088

youtube.com/watch?v=ZvgUySdbC3o

(Bonus points, can you spot the Jewish one)

Pic related my first attempt at baguettes.

Looks excellent. And thanks for the links.

Where does everyone get their flour from?

I can get basic bread and AP flour from Costco at reasonable prices, but they don't carry big sacks of whole wheat flour or cornmeal, so I have to resort to Walmart/Kroger for those.

I ask because I'd really like to try my hand at baking with rye, spelt, and interesting varieties of wheat flour, but there's nowhere near me to buy those things that doesn't cost $2/lb.

Anson Mills.

Yeah, it's expensive. But it's so tasty it's worth every penny and then some. Fuck that industrial mass produced bullshit with no flavor.

I'm currently working on a yeast risen cornbread. It should be ready to put in the oven in about 2 hours, and be fully baked a half hour after that.

If the tread lives, I'll post picks then, unless you guys want to see pics of a half risen loaf of cornbread.

Beautiful dark loaf.

>10# Rye flour
>$49.60 shipped
Yeah, that's definitely too pricey for someone who bakes mostly because it's a cheap way to feed oneself and just wants to play around with different kinds of bread.

My promised cornbread.

All in all, not bad. This was my first attempt at a yeast risen cornbread, and it had some ups and downs.

UPS
-Firm, crunchy crust
-Soft crumb
-Hearty

DOWNS
-Needs more salt.

so i baked this today, Veeky Forums, and i have just one problem, this loaf took fucking 1kg of flour to make. its a spelt loaf, made using scoobys recipe, only with muscavado replacing the honey and molasses.

am i doing it wrong, Veeky Forums? 3500 kcal in a single loaf seems to be taking the piss a bit. i dont use anywhere near the amount of flour in terms of weight for a white loaf.

Looks interesting, what's your recipe? How does the taste compare to cornbread made with baking soda?

How much liquid went into the dough? I'm guessing you've made something extremely dense.

quite a bit, though i kept adding flour til the dough was no longer sticking to my hands effectively. im fairly new to this, how sticky can you go with a dough and still get a good loaf?

'Stickiness' doesn't mean much, you really have to keep track of the percentage by weight of liquid that goes into a dough, and the amount of liquid that goes into a recipe is the biggest factor in determining how open the crumb of the finished product will be.

>variation of Lembas
>too nutritious
I don't understand

so its all about the consistency of the dough?

Meh. I'm still eating it two days later and it's fukken amazing.

If an user wants to say exactly why it's wrong for that style of bread, and what they would do to correct the fault, then that I'll wear. If you merely say 'it's shit' then you out yourself as a fool

The recipe is as follows.

2 cups white flour
1 to 1.5 cups fine cornmeal
1 cup warm water
1 cup warm milk
2 tablespoons olive oil
dry yeast
1 1/2 tablespoon of salt (though I recommend more than that)

Mix warm water and yeast and let sit for 10 minutes. Then add a cup of both flours. Let sit for 30 minutes. Then add rest of ingredients. Let double in size. Knead for about 10 minutes. Set in a greased and cornmealed bread tin until it doubles. Bake for 10 minutes at 450 f and then 20 minutes at 375 f

The bread itself is, in my opinion, much better than a store bought cornbread. It is FAR from as sweet or cake-like. It has a nice firm crust, yet the crumb is far from as crumbly as a store bought. The bread is lighter than a store bought cornbread and denser than white bread. It goes well with cheese and salami, and I imagine it would be good with your standard corn-bread fare (bbq, roast chicken, etc.)