What's the best technique for frying burgers in a pan?

What's the best technique for frying burgers in a pan?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WAUpelESAXo
boscovs.com/shop/prod/george-foreman-compact-grill/480871.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Apply heat. Take it off the heat when it's reached the desired doneness.

>put pan on high heat
>drizzle olive oil
>leave 10 minutes
>oil should be smoking
>salt your burger
>place in pan for 10-15 seconds
>flip
>leave for 15-20 seconds
>remove from heat

The perfect medium-rare burger.

George Foreman singlet makes the best fried burger I've been able to create at home. I never pan fry.

Oil? I used butter. How does it compare?

You shouldn't need to add extra fat to the pan...

Singlet? Link?

meant for

Does the same job.

Medium high heat. 4-5 minutes on each side. At the end a table spoon of butter and some aromatics such as thyme and garlic. Tilt and spoon aromatics infused butter over the burger until its reached the doneness you want.

you use beef that has plenty of fat, pack it gently into a patty and use your thumb to put a dimple in the middle and pop it in the fridge till you're ready to cook it.

when you're ready, use a grill pan and put it on high heat with no fat as the patty has enough. Season your patty on one side with salt, pepper and maybe something else if you'd like - I like to give it a couple drops of worcestershire sauce - then place the patty seasoned side down in the pan, season the top side, and leave it for 2-3 minutes, then flip it and do the same. If you're gonna use high quality mince from a butcher that you trust, then do it for less and have it rare, but I don't do that.

Then let it rest for the same amount of time that you cooked it for, and you got a lovely juicy beef patty.

Hmmm...is it better that way?

>use your thumb to put a dimple in the middle
I've never had to do this, just gotta make sure it's decently thin

>high heat
>olive oil
>smoking

>tips from someone who has never cooked a day in their life

if I don't do it, it always turns into a flying saucer for some reason.

It's simply unnecessary. An 80/20 (or even 85/15) patty will cook just fine in a dry pan, and will usually be swimming in a pool of its own fat anyway. One of the reasons everyone says grilling is much better is because as the fat renders it drips onto the coals, which in turn adds flavor back into the meat. In a pan or under a broiler the fat just sits there.

Same. I assume when they say decently thin, they're talking Steak n Shake style.

Pan on high heat, a cup of extra virgin oil, sear on both sides for 20 minutes to lock in the juices.

wa la

Nobody eats burgers Steak 'n Shake style. Nobody.

jack?

I swear to god you're trying to trigger us, I won't let you

Literally just cook it, op. There's not much to it. Make your patties however you like, put a pan on the heat and get it hot like your mom's sweet ass. If you're using a pan that isn't nonstick, you can add a bit of oil to keep it from sticking at the beginning but you won't need much if any. When there first side is seared to your liking, make it do a sweet ass flip just like Hillary Clinton's opinion on fags. Keep cooking it until your shit's all cooked, if you're adding cheese throw that shit on top for the last like 30 seconds it's in the pan. Remove from the pan onto some paper towel or something to let the excess grease drain off while it rests a few minutes. Or just lick it off like a fat fuck, I'm not your dad.

BUN.
CONDIMENTS.
MUSTARD IS KING, MAYO NEED NOT APPLY.
KETCHUP CAN GO FUCK ITSELF.
EAT YOUR FUCKING FOOD YOU NEEDED SO MUCH HELP MAKING. ARE YOU PROUD OF YOURSELF?

>trying to get le upvotes

embarassing

>Cooking something in its own fat won't add flavor

Anyone made burgers using hand minced meat? How did it go?

That was never implied.

What was implied was that you'll end up with a burger covered in grease, like in OP's finished product. What was also outright stated was that fat and juices dripping onto the heat source of a grill and creating smoke that adds extra flavor to the meat is one of the main reasons that grilled burgers taste better.

Do you guys freeze your patties before cooking it? I find that the burger contracts and causes uneven cooking if I make it from soft meat, but frozen burgers retain it's shape. Not sure if it's just due to compressing from the factory

I see, I'll keep that in mind, although this came out okay with the butter too.

>styrofoam plate

yes you should.

>What was implied was that you'll end up with a burger covered in grease

so towel off the grease.

>What was also outright stated was that fat and juices dripping onto the heat source of a grill and creating smoke that adds extra flavor to the meat is one of the main reasons that grilled burgers taste better.

this doesn't have anything to do with whether or not you should add extra fat.

i used to just rub myv steaks with oil or just put burgers in dry and so on because i heard people saying beef has enough of its own fat etc. but then i realised that they are fucking stupid. oil conducts heat to the surface of the meat and you get more consistent browning with a good layer of the stuff. i also spoon the oil over the burger which helps keep the cooking even and develop the sear.

You know what else conducts heat to the surface of a burger? A hot skillet.

youtube.com/watch?v=WAUpelESAXo

Looks good.

>i also spoon the oil over the burger which helps keep the cooking even and develop the sear

>spooning oil over the burger helps develop a sear

That's not how it works, and while the point of adding fat to the pan is to conduct heat and evenly cook it, the point was that a burger patty has enough fat on it's own to get the job done just fine. Butter might add extra flavor, but in my opinion it's kind of just overkill.

>crank heat
>drop wad of beef in
>wait 5 to 15 seconds
>smash with spatula
>wait until sides begin to brown
>flip
>season w/ salt & pepper
>apply cheese
>wait
>repeat, stacking the results
>wala.m4v

>smash with spatula

>he fell for the "muh juices" meme

but a skillet is flat and rigid.

that is how it works. spooning hot oil over the burger sears it.

> the point was that a burger patty has enough fat on it's own to get the job done just fine.

no, it doesn't. putting fat into the burger with the express purpose of rendering it into the pan is not the optimal way of using it. you want the fat to stay in the burger.

Adding additional fat to the pan isn't somehow magically going to keep some the fat in the burger from rendering out as it cooks.

i didn't say it would, i'm saying that putting extra fat in the burger to be rendered out is not the best way of using it. if that extra fat were to go in the pan you wouldn't have to render it out.

The fat is going to render. Unless you're flash searing that thing in seconds and leaving it raw in the middle, the fat will render. That's just what happens. You're saying nothing.

kys an buy a grill

It's like you don't know olive oil has one of the highest smoke points. He didn't say extra virgin, which is both what are you and what you're referring to

some fat will render. nowhere near all of it. the point is, when you put fat in the pan and preheat it in the first place, you have a better searing medium than waiting for it to come out of the burger and heat up. and then you don't have to worry about too much coming out of the burger.

it's quite simple logic.

kiss who? the pan? why would he kiss the pan if it's hot? why would you buy a grill after kissing the pan? you're really not very helpful

it's not bacon or foie

You're retarded.

Why should you wait till the pan is smoking before throwing in the burger? I usually just go when i reckon there is a bit of heat in it

And apparently you've given up

>KETCHUP CAN GO FUCK ITSELF.

>no ketchup on a burger

retard detected

Ketchup is a useless condiment if you're not eating pure shit. It exists to mask the "flavor" of bland or shitty food. Good mustard is superior every time.

mustard has p much the exact same function if you're being reductive

Why?

no

Salt is a useless condiment if you're not eating pure shit. It exists to mask the "flavor" of bland or shitty food.

get some ground beef with decent fat content and some salt and pepper. roll some meat into a ball and drop it on a hot af cast iron pan with some olive oil on it. apply some salt and pepper and after 20 seconds or so flip the ball over so the seared side is facing up and then press the ball flat with a spatula, as thin as possible. season it again and cook to preference.

Fry it on high heat for caramellized crust, don't overcook it or it will become dry.

That is objectively false.

Is this why I shouldn't use this board to learn cooking

What constitutes "dry" vs "not greasy"? I don't like feeling like im eating a ton of fat even if im having a burger

Loaf 'em if you don't want them to shrink. Add egg whites and breadcrumbs to your ground beef.

Caramelization isn't the same thing as the Maillard reaction; just saying.

As is the comment i was mocking by making this post.

>desired doneness

you talk as if you should do something other than waiting for well-done

butter is better. scientific fact.

A lil fucked up that you're frying an animal in the fat produced from its mother's milk, but the world is a dark and cruel place

>A lil fucked up that you're frying an animal in the fat produced from its mother's milk

Jew detected

best burger technique is to flip it every 15-20 seconds until cooked to your desired doneness. doing it this way treats your great source like s tortoise and drives a much more even heat through the burger. Also produces a great crust. Try it before you hate on it.

>medium-rare ground beef

>not grinding the meat from whole cuts that you've picked out yourself

stay plebe

Smoke points, butter has lower, oil is higher. Means less toxic fumes during cooking and higher heat overall with oils.

boscovs.com/shop/prod/george-foreman-compact-grill/480871.htm

it stayed nonstick for sometime as well. I prop it up a bit and let the drippings fall directly in my sink.

>not raising, then butchering the cow yourself, and getting the most primo cut
who is the real pleb here?

>the package literally tells you there's fat inside of the beef
>but let's add oil

for what purpose?

>What's the best technique for frying burgers in a pan?

Add heat.

on a pan or griddle, use a press to keep some pressure on to press some fat out for browning/keep the meat from sticking to the pan and burning, but do NOT actually press down on the patty

he's right you know

find a small pan lid that fits inside your pan/skillet, you'll get a more even cook if you create a mini over over top the burger.

THIS

>pressure on to press
>do NOT actually press

are you female or homo?

you are contradicting yourself.

dry means there's not enough moisture in the burger, both from fat and from the aqueous portion of the juices.

You forgot to add some ice cubes when the pan has reached high heat temperature

You technically eat unborn baby chickens.

In that order, of course.

Place pan on stove top of whatever type. Turn heat to medium. Place patty in pan. Wait. Flip it. Wait. Once it is cooked through, place slice of cheese on top after turning off heat. Cover pan to melt cheese. Remove patty from pan and place on bun or paper towel so absorb grease. Remove pan from stove and place ito fridge. Eat burger. Scrape out solidified fat from pan in fridge and place into empty butter container for later usage. Continue on with your day. Take large red meat shit later on. Stink up the whole house. Laugh about it with your buddies. Pet your cat.

Fetuses are not people

No, you technically eat the chickens unfertilized period.

>A lil fucked up that you're frying an animal in the fat produced from its mother's milk, but the world is a dark and cruel place

you people are animals

yeah they are, but that's not why you should be disagreeing with him
see You're only eating the fetus if it's balut or something similar

Don't use a pan, faggot.

Mix 1/2lb ground beef with Lea & Perrins, garlic granules, and onion granules

Pan on medium-high heat, sear both sides, reduce to medium heat, with 3 minutes left add a tbsp of butter to the pan, tilt pan to side, spoon butter over burger, remove from heat, wait 3-4 minutes, serve

>69
Wow best way to cook a burger i have ever seen on ck ever