twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Doing the cashier's job for them

youtu.be/FxINJzqzn4w?t=1m22s

>waiting in line like a cuck

How does one wait like a cuck?
As opposed to what?

I see a lot of people wait in line just to use the self-checkout

It's because they have autism and hate the social interaction

You know you can mute these things right?

You realise that the cashier is actually way faster 9 times out of 10, but self checkout is designed to seem faster psychologically because you're actually doing something rather than just standing there?

Also means you don't have to make bullshit small talk with the cashier. That is the reason I use them.

>waiting in line to use the self checkout
>stationary selfcheckouts
>not shopping in a store that gives you a handheld POS scanner

You guys live in the stone age or something?

>have three $5 pasta trays that are half off because they're near expiry
>have to ask for assistance to get the discount
>the check out babysitter lady fucks up and rings all three through for the price of one
>get $15 worth of fancy stuffed ravioli for $2.50

It was a good day

I don't believe that. Whenever I go to the cashier lines, almost all of them have like 2 people with 100 items each. Self checkout lines usually have the same number of people but only like 1-10 items each.

>use express lane instead of self checkout
>get stuck behind some indian woman arguing over sale price with the cashier for several minutes until the cashier gives up and walks across the store to check
>the sale was from last week's flier

>buying packs of ramen becuase I'm hungry and poor
>fat sheboon in front of me is bitching about her ebt card not paying for 100% of her junk food items and spends 10 minutes fumbling in her new put while her niglets are laughing "we holdin up de line haha"

this is why trump is going to win

Never seen this and I live in a largish city, but would love it desu

It's still less boring.

People who hold up lines are the worst, I was at the corner store a few days ago buying a drink and some sickly looking older woman spent almost ten minutes spending her welfare money on lottery tickets while everyone in line stood there sighing and rolling their eyes

Im way faster than the cashier, every time

It's great. You don't have to unpack anything, just put it in your shopping bags as you go alone, and when you're done you just put the scanner in it's cradle, pay in a machine (there's 4 pay stations in my smallish store) And go home, bags ready. Think there was a line once, the day before christmas. You need a store membership card though to use 'em, so the electronic jews have their eyes on your shopping habits, but eh.

>local grocer has a mobile app
>use camera to scan barcode
>pay with Paypal directly from my phone

I just scan my items as I pick them up and walk out the door.
It's great living in the 21st century.

How do you do fruits/vegetables? Do they just slap a bar code on every single thing?

They have scales in the produce section.
You put your fruits/veggies in, select what they are on the touch screen, and it generates a code you scan.

nah, i worked as a cashier for a couple of years in high school and i go faster because 1) i know exactly how to scan my shit, 2) exactly how to bag my shit, and 3) care about getting done quickly because i'm not a high school student making $7/hr or whatever

Couldn't you just label everything as bananas (cheapest produce) and no one would be the wiser
At least with self checkout stations there's generally someone keeping an eye on them

You probably weigh the veggies, and print a barcode.

Yes, but Generally people don't install these things in areas with a lot of trash people.

They fixed this shit in Australia both major supermarkets turned of the weight thing in the bagging area.

>when the machine instantly marks an item as "not bagged" in the one fucking second it takes you to put in in a bag, triggering a strange item warning and forcing you to set it somewhere else for the transaction looking shady

>when the computer is literally just wrong about how much something weighs and will reliably get stuck on the "checking weight" screen and require attendant assistance

>using self checkout

kill yourself

Use the real HUMAN cashiers, DONT support automation, it starts with small minimum wage jobs and ends with yours. You might not care right now, it might even be a little more convenient at times (not really) but remember this fight is bigger than you and me. This is the first skirmish in a long war for human jobs, rights, lives.

t. retarded luddite

>Person buys scratch off lottery tickets.
>They stand there AT the counter scratching the tickets off.
>"Hey here's a $1 winner, gimme another tickey"

This drives me
>I N S A N E
>N
>S
>A
>N
>E

>just a straight up fucking lie

>first skirmish

nigga luddites were around hundreds of years ago bitching about the steam engine. adapt or die

>WAHHHH don't buy a car you guys!! Automobiles are going to put horses OUT OF BUSINESS!!!

This is what luddites sound like

>no alcohol today?

Fuck you too self-service approval bitch

dont see many horses, Barn Manager, Barn Foreman, Horse Trainer, Assistant Trainer, Riding Instructor, Schooling Rider, Farrier, Groom, Stall Cleaner, Handler, or Stable/Barn Hand around these days, do you?

No you dont, but the world is a much better place with people riding cars instead of horses.

Sometimes, technological progress means you need to learn how to do some new skills to survive.

You don't see any blacksmiths around anymore either. That doesn't mean that all the jobless niggers should have been blacksmiths

As a cashier, I prefer it if you don't talk to me at all. It's the CUSTOMERS who almost always initiate the smalltalk, and not the cashier. Also, when I remain stone silent, customers often get offended and tell me I'm being rude.

I don't get why customers argue. When it comes to deals and "this should be a lower price", they are virtually always wrong. Almost always they misread the coupon or a sales flier. It's maddening. And what makes it worse is they usually end up getting the deal anyway because the manager (understandably) wants them to leave satisfied and continue to be a customer.

>order comes to something like 13.97
>hands the cashier a 20 dollar bill
>fine
>the customer then goes "oh wait I probably have some change", and starts slowly digging in their pocket for 97 cents

What makes me rage is when people pay with checks too. It just seems so utterly stupid.

greedy fucking hebrew monkey peices of walmart shit are so greedy and greasy they expect people to check themselves out so they dont have to hire more employees and pay wages, their so fucking lazy and worthless soon they will prolly make it to where you just like call em up on the fuckin phone and blip and bloop and they bring you the shit with a drone so they dont even have to pay for a store, lazy fuckin peices of monkey turd capitalist ooga booga gorilla dingleberrys oh well who cares

Ask them if they're for Trump or Hillary.

>people in front of me
>look in their cart
>all frozen meals and cases of pop
>pulls out food stamp card

self-checkout is only faster than a cashier if...

>all registers have a line
>you aren't buying an age-restricted item like alcohol
>you aren't buying any produce or bulk scale item
>you aren't buying any item that otherwise requires an attendant such as manual markdown items or items that can't scan due to not being on file or have an impartial/damaged barcode

and you better fucking hope that after that, all still goes well. If any pricing issues occur or if the machine just feels like halting all progress so an attendant has to come over and fuck with the machine until it resumes, then you just spent more time at self-checkout than if you had just gone to a cashier.

It's still faster to go through a cashier even if you have just one or two items. Self-checkout makes you wait to put the item in the bag so it can weigh the product and confirm you bagged it, so for each item you scan at self-checkout, a cashier is a couple seconds faster by default.

self-checkout is the psychological and moral equivalent to "bull-prepping"

>hide steaks in pants when they come to assist so they don't see me trying to use the banana code for ribeyes

Just remember kids, all fruit and vege are onions

>As a cashier, I prefer it if you don't talk to me at all. It's the CUSTOMERS who almost always initiate the smalltalk, and not the cashier.

Bull fucking shit.

'Hi!'
'How are you doing today?'
'Hows it going? Did you find everything okay?'

Its your job to small talk you fucking cash wringing monkey.

>buy usual stuff
>super brand PB happens to be 25% off,dont even notice
>at register
>"HURRR DURR BARCOD DUN WORK,REQUIRE ASSISTANCE"

EVERY FKKN TIEM

Not our fault monkey.

Robo cashiers will be GOAT in 3-4 years but they suck ass right now due to shit like this

>go to express line
>some mexishit / fat nigger is ran out of food stamps and now it will take a year for them to send the food they dont want back and or fish change from their pockets

Ramen is actually shit tier food for the cost. you can buy a fuck ton of brown rice and some eggs for less than the price of a couple packs of ramen and it does not have 80% of your daily salt intake

checked

No my job is to ring up items. And besides, what are you complaining about? From this thread it seems like most people don't like smalltalk anyway. The way I see it, I'm doing them a favor by not really talking. I'll give a "hi", and then at the end I'll say "have a great one", and usually leave it at that.

I feel like super-friendly employees is a very American thing anyway, kind of a weird part of our culture.

Asking if I found everything ok makes it seem like the cashier thinks I am a tard and is shit talking me

Buddy we gotta say something to fucking everybody, so when it happens, it doesn't mean anything. It's just breaking monotony from the same script. We want you out just as much as you do.

I know it is something you HAVE to say I just wish you could ask me if I liked cookies or something

Well I'm just saying, no ones shit talking you. That's why I only ask old people that because they're the only ones that care anyways.

oh sweet man thanks for the tip!

what animu is this

I've actually left when I've got this error, if I'm only buying 5 or 6 things I just don't care enough. I live a block away from my grocery store, so I can just come back tomorrow.

Yeah, the cashier is sooo much faster, however she isn't 6-10 times faster, and that's how many self-checkout terminals a single employee can look after.

Reasons to use self checkouts:
>Condoms
>DXM

Suprisiginly nothing comes up like "Please wait for assistance", so you don't get weird looks while buying condoms or cough syrup.

no but the problem is, while "robots do everything for us", "robots do some/nothing for us" are alright, "robots do most of our things for us but not all" is also known as "high unemployment" and it's exactly where we're heading by replacing so many low paying jobs with machines

these are great.
i do not want to have to talk to anybody doing shopping. if i wanted to, i would.
this doesnt just apply to supermarkets its every fucking shop.
some fuckwit trying to ask how my day is when all i want to do is, at my own pace, inspect clothes or wares or whatever,
just makes me leave
no, im not autistic, in fact i am excellent in conversation with people
that doesnt fucking mean i want to talk to every random shit on the street

also
i can listen to music, i can get in the groove, while at the supermarket. hell i even do a bit of dancing sometimes when its pretty empty.

so even if a manned lane was faster, which it isnt because people with huge trolleyloads use them, i would still use the self checkout

as per taking people jobs? well maybe? create jobs elsewhere. or how about you fucking make sure the operating hours are 9am-6pm or some stupid shit and make things 24 hours
objecting to this seems facile, as youre asking for something that isnt helping service, and youre fighting against something i thought you supported- capitalism
should we get rid of all automated contruction machinery so it takes more people to build things?

>Condoms
I've never understood why people are nervous buying condoms, you're literally telling the clerk "yeah, I'm going to have sex soon", if anything you should be proud of it. The one time in my life I've bought condoms the checkout girl got really awkward - to be fair she was about 17 - but I was completely unphased. I dunno, maybe I'm just weird.

its awkward buying them when your 12 tho.

Threads like these are why I don't regret working at a grocery store for a bit in school.

are you retarded?

self checkout is way faster because they fit 6 machines into the same amount of area that 2 cashiers take up.

even if you're slower individually, 6 customers are much faster than 2 cashiers.

I always use the self check out, you can bull shit your produce for reduced prices, it's hillarious. Even when I'm buying alcohol @ self checkout they don't notice that I bought 2 pounds of onions for 50 cents.

>go to self-checkout
>lemons were on sale, 4 for $3
>charges me $4

Fucking robot shit.