Cooking with foraged ingredients. Tonight we're making slow-cooker risotto with chanterelles

Cooking with foraged ingredients. Tonight we're making slow-cooker risotto with chanterelles.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zOgR4NsidZg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Where are you from, roughly? I'm in Oregon and I get pretty decent chanterelles this time of year.

Halfed the larger chanterelles, smaller ones are going in whole.

I'm in Mississippi.

Saute the chanterelles with some diced yellow onion, garlic, and butter.

Hey OP, I have gotten a huge bag of homemade, dried chanterelles. Do you have a suggestion of how to use it?

Add the arborio rice after the chanterelles have given off liquid. Saute for a few minutes.

I've used dried chanterelles in chicken marsala. The marsala wine did a decent job of rehydrating them.

Add the rice and chanterelle mixture to the slow cooker.

Add chicken broth. I'm currently out of homemade stock and I'm on a budget, so the canned stuff is going to have to do.

Put the slow cooker on high for approximately an hour and a half. Now we wait. I'll provided an update once the rice is cooked.

I made a mistake, they were actually horn of plenty's

I haven't used horn of plenty's before, but I imagine they would still work well in a marsala dish.

>I'm a poor fuck that dumpster dives and eats random fungus I find

all you're missing is a tripcode and a signature

Your lack of intelligence is showing.

Picking mushrooms is such an incredibly upper middle class trendy hobby though.

Plus, I often sell what I forage to local restaurants. It's an easy way to make ~$500 a summer.

The rice is taking a little longer than anticipated to cook. Updates are forthcoming.

Any good course on identifying local edible mushrooms?

I love mushrooms but have never gotten around to going out and hunting them, so I'm stuck with normal grocery store fare.

I'd suggest purchasing an identification guide if you plan to become serious about mushroom hunting. On the other hand, it isn't hard to stick to easily identified fungi. Pic related is an example I found last week.

The rice has absorbed a lot of the broth, but it is still slightly al dente.

Add parmesan cheese.

Then mix in some sweet peas. Cover for another 30 minutes. Final updates forthcoming.

Rice is now done.

Final product finished with more parmesan cheese and black pepper.

Jelly as fuck

If you're on a budget why not use boullion?

>not myzithra cheese

faggot

Well if you find any regular looking ones, you could always try this out.

youtube.com/watch?v=zOgR4NsidZg

That's OK. It was delicious and I have leftovers.

>american """""risotto"""""

Is that supposed to insult?

The Peas killed me

Eh. To each their own.

I would've used frozen and blanched then canned. It's really the color, the grey just made it look not appetizing

Oh well. I may try frozen next time.

jelly

nice thread