Anyone drinking wine this weekend?

Anyone drinking wine this weekend?

I've been overdosing on beer lately so I got a 2004 Saint-Emiloin from Chateau Simard

Does that make me pretentious?

>2004

You know that once it leaves the barrel, it can't really age anymore, right?

You know that wine works differently than fortified spirits, right?

Depend on the wine.

No, I'm pretty high right now so I couldn't even begin to fathom anything more complicated than forming this sentence

>being this retarded

Drank half the bottle with a sirloin and fries for dinner.

Pretentious would have been drinking insisting on the '05.

How was it?

Borolo producers will be shaken by this new fact

Im having some white tonight if the hangover abates. Not pretentious, you like what you like. Never be ashamed for that.

They didn't have any '05, but it was good. A bit thin, but good.
Murrieta is quality stuff. I've long wanted to try an old bottle of Castillo Ygay but I'm too poor to drop $200 on one bottle without stressing over it

No I'm just drinking brandy. all the time. Water is for pussies.

I have today drink a Chateau Pierrail 2014 with a beef rib grilled on BBQ with some aromatics plants, mainly rosemary.

>Borolo
Is this some kind of California knockoff of barolo? Kind of like their horrid "chablis" and their fake "champagne"?

Bottle age is a thing. Tames down the fruita and tannins. Of course a wine without much structure will just fade in the bottle over the years. If you doubt this go scare up a bottle of Provence rose from three years ago, and tell me if it has anything left to it. Very unlikely it will. Some vintages fade by the end of summer.

It's probably just an American who thinks that wine exists to make him feel uncultured and has a collection of BuzzFeed clickbait saved to "prove" it any time someone mentions a drink that isn't HFCS or bacon flavoured beer

You mean we're gonna hear that somms can't tell red from white when blindfolded and some bad extrapolations from the Judgment of Paris ITT any minute?

That, plus "I've never actually tasted chablis from California or chablis from France but AOC is a protectionist scam and in no way tells us anything useful because I'm not used to being able to trust the words on a label and neither should anyone else"

WIne turned into a meme around where I live the last couple years. The white trash that populate this city have begun to see themselves as sophisticated because they drown their problems in $3 bottles of barefoot moscato in a sitting.

I don't even bring up wine around women here anymore because getting piss loaded on grape booze is now the hot new thing to do.

Sorry to hear you live in a place like that. Television is probably to blame. The lead characters on many shows targeted at women seem to be constantly drinking wine. Watch any Shonda Rhimes show and they've always got wine glasses in their hands.

I never understood drinking wine to seem classy, because showing off with wine is really fucking expensive. The only folks I've seen do it are Wall Street types. And the kind of showing off that goes down in places like Veritas really isn't about being classy - it's displaying how good you are at making money.

I'll just stick to my $12 daily drinkers, and consider myself lucky I can get wines as good as I do for that price.

I'm not really bothered by plebs drinking wine to "be classy"

It's near impossible to get good wine in flyover land without paying out the nose because there's just no market for it

The more normalized wine gets in these places, the more people will be willing to try it, which increases demand, which makes more room on the shelf for something worth drinking

It's a vicious cycle out there, people are afraid of something because doing something different is seen as putting on airs, so there's no profit in selling something that's not KBS or Spotted Cow. What little wine gets sold is Aussie dogshit and maybe the odd bottle of Montelena at the finest steakhouse in town because it was in that movie with the chick from Dollhouse

If Midwestern normies learn to accept wine it's not such a stretch to see the development of a sub group of Feiring cultists or Asimov fanbois clamoring for something that isn't a bottle of new oak and mega purple

lol bro i live in la

I dunno what LA is like but I lived in NorCal for a long time and there are a lot of wine drinkers out there. It can be provincial, some people seem to think the only wine styles are bordeaux blends because that's what put California wine on the map in the first place, but it's certainly not some new thing.

On the other hand it depends on the city, in SF or Palo Alto it's never been too hard to find nice stuff, Los Gatos too. Not so much in Union City or Livermore, but things may have changed since the second tech boom.

I would be very surprised if LA was much different, you don't have as many wine regions down there but from the limited time I've spent in the LA area it's not some new thing

Right. Like the idiot a few weeks ago who repeatedly claimed Bordeaux was a "style" of wine that could be made anywhere, and not associated with specific vineyards in the Bordeaux region.

That kind of willful ignorance is one of the tiresome things about being an American. The constant push for American exceptionalism because we get to write our own rules. Certainly hasn't done us any good as far as our food and wine are concerned, because the most profitable standards are usually not very high.

>the more people will be willing to try it, which increases demand, which makes more room on the shelf for something worth drinking
You would hope. But there are still large parts of the country where beer is for men and wine is for women. As long at it's seen as a "chick drink" it will never be taken seriously.

California is a brutal place to be a wine drinker if you aren't rich. Good imported wine is expensive, and the California wines worth drinking are even costlier. Actually LA and SF are awful places not to be rich. I only go to either for work or to visit rich friends. And if they're not buying the wine I'll just drink beer, because it's really hard to find something drinkable there for under $20/bot.

No because im not a fucking degenerate.

(Tú)

Total bullshit, you are an idiot.

Having wine tonight, no idea what kind yet.

One of my favorite grenaches, great spice and a terrific finish that goes on forever.

so you drank a bordeaux from a region that pumps out a ton of it, and it is of no particular quality

Tannin structure changes in bottle. Oxidation occurs in barrel. Very different types of aging but wine absolutely does age in bottle.

Borolo on california wines wasn't grandfathered in to the treaty of madrid like "california burgundy" and california chablis" were. You'd have to call it Nebbiolo

Honestly, even in california you can't get people to shut up about orin swift or the prisoner or the other fruit bombs. The midwest isn't so bad, it's just an emerging market.

Grenache is my shit bro

I make sonoma wine and I had to look up where moon mountain is.

If you want to buy me some Petrus, I'm happy to accept your generous gift

California really has its head up its own ass about wine, it's a shame because there are some really nice ones here and there, but as a whole it's just the wine version of bacon flavored DIPA

They also love to crank out supertankers full of pinot noir made for people who love the idea of drinking pinot noir but aren't really sure and don't much care what pinot noir actually tastes like

Wine is so romantic. Could have brought meaning to 'a labor of love' after giving it some thought.

What is your first language? Because it doesn't seem to be English.

I'm going to buy a rose DP (2004 iirc) for my friends wedding I think, what do you reckon?

I know DP isn't the best bang for your buck, but I can't think of another champagne that carries that same kind of prestige / weight that most people recognise on the spot..

Pol Roger?

I've been looking for Silvaners lately but they are a complete bitch to find in America. I usually settle for a dry Riesling in its place.

I mean, we make fruit bombs because you can sell them in steak houses in Texas and Florida.

crystal roederer..
taittinger millesime
Nicolas Feuilatte

but DP rosé is a nice one too, interesting story how it was created too

>Nicolas Feuillatte
I don't think your average murkin knows what that is

How do I get into wine? I don't much care for the taste but imagine that could be conditioned otherwise. It seems like a nice class of booze to indulge in.
Note that I don't want it for some kind of wannabe bourgeois cred, I just want to be able to do something with the wall of bottles at the grocery store besides walk past it wonderingly.

>grocery store
It's usually a good idea not to buy wine there unless you have no other option

Not that wine shops are all automatically good, but grocery store selection is almost universally not so good, overpriced pleb shit

My recommendation is not to look at wine in isolation to begin with. Approach wine the way people in wine drinking countries do: wine goes with food. So look at the meals you like to eat, figure out which would seem to go with wine, then look up what kinds of wime would be traditional (or recommended) pairings with them. Then go buy those wines when you're having those meals. Do this for a while and you'll find some wines you like.

I'm not saying drinking wine by itself they way you'd drink a beer or a cocktail is wrong. It's just that wine is an acidic drink, and most other popular acidic drinks are sweet (lemonade, juice, Coke) where most wines are not. That acidity and lack of sweetness means most wines will be more enjoyable with food than they will be on their own until you've cultivated a real taste for them.

Moet & Chandon

Last weekend I took tasting notes on three beers and later drank a G&T and a bottle of white wine. I like white wine because unlike red it doesn't give me much of a hangover. And it's also one of the forms of booze, besides vodka, that contains the least amount of calories.

>white wine
>besides vodka, that contains the least amount of calories.
Whoever told you that, you should ignore anything they have to say about booze, nutrition, and probably most other things in life

Nobody who actually likes wine drinks sweet white wine user

You can pretend to be a "sophisticated adult" all you want, I'll be enjoying my aged beerenausleses and coteaux du layon because I actually like most styles of wine, while you drop howlers like "south africa makes some pretty good chenin" and others struggle to suppress their laughter

(You)

>I just got outed as a poseur but somehow I can't let it go
Did you learn about wine from that show with the black lady who makes a big thing about drinking wine to seem sophisticated?

I'm not

No shit, what appellation are you/case production? Local Sonoman?

Moon Mountain is pretty new, maybe five years old, it's basically the Sonoma side of the Mayacamas Mountain Range.

No it makes you a wannabe pretentious 20 something trendster cunt

Yes it's a shame but because of what
Said. Fruit bombs sell really well in the US and companies looking to make money will make a wine most people will like to drink, mainly super fruit forward.

Meomi is one of the worst offenders but that's due to regulations that should be stricter in labeling practices.

Michel Forget rose would be a good choice and save you a bunch of money. You can get like half a case for the same price.
Dom is pretty delicious though.

Is boxed wine as good as bottled wine? What's the difference between them, or is it pretty negligible?

boxed is better in every single way, except fashion

There isn't really a difference between them. There are some shit wines in bottles and there are some great wine in boxes. You can't make that broad of a comparison.

A box with a sealed bag inside it is actually a technicalyl superior method for storing wine than a bottle is, especially if you don't drink it all at once. The bag-in-box prevents any air from getting to the wine so the un-consumed part will keep a lot better.

OTOH, people perceive the box as "cheap", so it's rare to find really good wine in a box package.

Brand and year end up being far more important than the box/bottle.

There are no "great" wines in boxes, sorry hipster. There are better ones now than in the past, but despite breathless predictions by bloggers it's unlikely to be accepted by consumers and nobody is going to stick their flagship wine in a box. Even screw cap and synthetic corks have met resistance, because someone paying $30+ for a wine would rather have something that doesn't have mass production aesthetics.

>There are better ones now than in the past

That's what I meant. I meant "Great" given the context of this board, not something that would please an actual wine expert. I agree with your post 100%.

>no difference between boxed and bottled wine
Theoretically there should be no difference between the two. But in practice it works out more like this

Killed this in an hour, it was fucking awful

ugh

I'm thinking similarly for this evening.

I see you've been to reddit in the last week

My cousin used to buy that brand for getting drunk in college

I'm pretty confident that it and Blue Nun are a big part of why sweet wines have a reputation among plebs as being disgusting swill

I've had good sweet wines, never trust anything under $20 honestly

>that's due to regulations that should be stricter in labeling practices.
What does that mean with regard to meiomi

>hello darkness my old friend

I bought a charles shaw wine once, it was fucking gross

Sorry am college student. And TJ's wine shop is literally next door from my apartment. I'm not a wine connoisseur. Most of my alcohol fund goes to higher quality beers or liquor.

So current regulations only require wine to be 75% of the varietal they put on the bottle.

For example Meomi says it's Pinot Noir, but that means it only has to be 75% actual Pinot and then they can add in a cheaper juice like Paso Syrah to beef up the color and body of the wine to make it more appealing to consumers all the while adding Mega Purple flavor additive.

I don't mind that someone wants to make a pinot syrah blend or that people like to drink it, but it does suck they don't know exactly what they're drinking.

>Americans have come to equate darker red wines with better red wines
>some pinot noir producers are adding syrah to darken their pinot noirs
Why do Americans pretend to have good taste

This. It's got a lot of advantages- packaging is cheaper, easier to recycle, way cheaper to ship (boxes stack, bottles need a ton of extra packing), and the bag inside presses down to keep air out, meaning your wine lasts longer. It is, however, perceived as 'low class' or 'cheap', so not much good wine goes into it. This is likely to change though, imo- same way screw tops used to be for nothing but hobo tier wine.

Still won't supplant cork-stoppered bottles for wine intended for aging, though.

Is it required to list additives like Mega Purple on the bottle? I've never tried much Cali wine.

Just finished a bottle of Radikon Oslavje 2005- really incredible stuff. The only thing comparable to it in its style is probably Gravner Breg Anfora, but that's more than twice the price where I am.

alcohol tastes like ass. I don't get the point.

Mega Purple is considered grapes, so, no. No one, ever, will admit to using it.

I've only had one orange wine, it was fine but not sure I can see myself drinking it often

red wine ages in the bottle

>meiomi
REE

Wine isn't required to list its ingredients, so no. Most people aren't even aware Mega Purple exists.

>wine isn't required to list ingredients
Wow that's kind of shitty actually

It's really different but I really like it. Top-tier ones like Radikon and Gravner are really incredible imo- they're incredibly complex and unique. I can totally understand how they're not everyone's cup of tea though.

All wine ages in the bottle, it's just less often a good thing with whites than reds. But it's certainly not a hard-and-fast rule; many reds don't hold up well to aging, and some whites can age for decades.

Fite me

Also, why does it taste so salty?

>hello darkness my red blend

you missed a golden opportunity user

put my bottle of white bordeaux in the freezer for a while to chill it quickly. forgot about it and now it has a slushie-like consistency.

will this affect it much?

Not really no

Yeah I've only had a cheap one that was like $11

I'm about to go to a friend's birthday party and I'm taking this Lugana. I'll tell you guys how it was later.