What does Veeky Forums think of the Sous-vide method? All the trendy restaurants are doing it now

What does Veeky Forums think of the Sous-vide method? All the trendy restaurants are doing it now.

>all the trendy restaurants
nigga fast food joints are doing sous vide now, are you a time traveller from 2006?

sousvide is so hot right now

>Fast food
>Sous vide
>Fast
>Sous vide
>FAST

It's a reddit meme, just like cast iron pans.

cast iron has at least a few legitimate advantages, whereas sous-vide is a completely useless cash grab with a bunch of retarded hipsters suckling at the teat.

>I don't understand it so it's useless

do you have any idea how much fast food gets pre-cooked?

>I am a dipshit hipster who prefers to boil my steak in a grocery bag in a $500 tub for an hour before cooking it because reasons

Sous vide posters on Veeky Forums are cancer.

>Boil
>$500
>Before cooking
>only steak

Thank you for proving you don't understand or know how to use one

Looks like he was spot on

(You)

>I don't like the way he said it therefore he's wrong

Did I hurt your feelings, nu-male?

>flyovers intimidated by anything that isn't deep frying

>/pol/ slang
please return to your containment cage

I got one for Christmas last year and I've only really found it useful for proteins and even then it's barely better for more time/work.

Also, I've eaten well done pork my whole life and while the flavor is better I find the texture of medium rare pork off-putting.

All the trendy restaurants in my city are overpriced garbage.

Yup, we've got hurt feelings here guys. Someone call the EMT, stat.

Whats a legitimate reason it's not good? other than you can't afford it

Name a reason why it is good. Preferably a reason that justifies the price tag.

>X SUCKS!
>Why do you say that?
>WHY DON'T YOU TELL ME WHY IT DOESN'T SUCK? HUH?

>he doesn't know that you can pre-cook food and reheat it still in the bag
>he doesn't understand what sous vide even is

hello flyover

Lol, aspies BTFO

>Also, I've eaten well done pork my whole life and while the flavor is better I find the texture of medium rare pork off-putting.
Me too, mate. Never understood why fall apart tender pork isn't preferred to that weird rare texture. I guess people who want rare pork really don't know how to cook it so it's tender. Silliness.

>Whats a legitimate reason it's not good? other than you can't afford it
>What does Veeky Forums think of the Sous-vide method?
No grill marks. No browning. And, I don't want my food boiled in plastic. With great technique and experience, no idiot would ever want sous vide food except for poaching, such as fish or chicken. Nothing more. It's just a restaurant cheat for high volume food. Just cause a few people figured out a few more dishes in order to justify more use of the machine, doesn't make it better than any other way you could prepare something.

There are some doughs like for salt-rising bread, which can use a constant temp water bath to grow the yeast. Yogurt culturing. Maybe some niche cultural foods like skyr or any of the above would be reasons a daily-cheese-making home cook might really benefit from ownership. But, well, it's just a bain marie. You can always cook that flan in the oven or a pressure cooker, which are far more versatile.

Showing once again that people vehemently against sous vide miss the point.

from a flavour and texture perspective it is probably the best method to cook any protein, but it is too slow for me to use it at home

this desu
i have one and rarely use it (regret)
its great when I feel like spending time but I tend to spend less time making food now

You like your food to have no chew to it? Also fish would like to have a word with you. Or any kind of lean meats for that matter.

>You like your food to have no chew to it?

exactly, yes

>fish would like to have a word with you

all seafood is great sous vide, it's especially good for the tricky ones like calamari that are easy to overcook

>he thinks fish doesn't behave well sous vide

lol

>from a flavour and texture perspective
You might like the texture soft and without a crust, but WTF is a plastic bag doing for the flavor? Nothing. That's what.

but you marinade it during cooking and then sear it after

>he still doesn't understand what a closed cooking environment is and how there is no evaporation or loss of flavor/nutrients
>he still thinks sous vide means "boil in a a bag"
>he still doesn't understand that food cooked sous vide needs to be seared and allowed to bloom

next you're going to tell me it "takes too long too cook" but you'll gladly cook a crockpot pot roast for 8 hours

I think it has its uses.

Pork rinds that are sous vide first and then fried are the bees tits.

I like my meats to bounce back a little bit. Sous vide seems to make everything a bit too tender for my tastes.

Why would someone want to sous vide seafood when it only requires a little bit of skill to cook well and quickly? The flavor and texture of fish is so delicate that marinating and cooking low and slow for a long time seems overkill. The gradient from searing fish is also quite nice.

>sous vide calamari

this is when you realize sous vide fags have deep mental issues

taco bell

>I like my meats to bounce back a little bit

I think you are just being contrarian here. When you go to a really great steakhouse and order it blue rare you are doing so enjoy how tender it is. When you braise something for 4 hours you are doing it so that it falls of the bone.

tenderness is synonymous with good cooking of protein

I agree that you need the maillard crust too, but you still get that with sous vide, you just add it at the end

>I think you are just being contrarian here

Please don't label my post with a buzzword like that.

>I like my meats to bounce back a little bit.
Most people don't. Why do you think a flavorless cut like the filet is so popular. Tenderness is valued over flavor.

counterpoint: beef jerky

>contrarian
>buzzword

'buzzword' is more of a buzzword than contrarian m8

what's wrong with buzzwords anyway?

>but you marinade it during cooking and then sear it after
Or you could just do that without the sous vide.

the texture of beef jerky is horrendous, people only put up with it because of the convenience

if you had to choose between the same amount of meat either freshly sous vide and seared or as jerkey you'd take the fresh meat 99 times out of 100

generally avoiding ****hot**** words can make an argument stronger without sounding like a polemic or generalizing dickhead

especially on Veeky Forums

enjoy having to babysit your food and worry about overcooking it, imma set it... AND FORGET IT

>people only put up with it because of the convenience
Not really, or else everyone would be buying Slim Jims/pepperoni sticks instead. Jerky can be chewy or tough.

but you won't get the same texture

though as i said earlier i don't personally sous vide at all, it takes too long. i only order it at restaurants.

Yeah, and I'll be impressing girls while you're decoupaging dildos in your flat with no water utilities

I worked as a food runner at an "upscale" restaurant and we used one of these machines just to keep stuff warm and down on prep time. We never put steak in it though, just chicken, pork, and potatoes. I don't see the value of buying one of these unless you're cooking in volume.

>he thinks girls won't be impressed by the superior tenderness and flavor of sous vide food

Sounds more like you're trying to impress guys by helicoptering over your food. I'll be mackin it with the ladies while my food reaches its final temp.

Do you get a 72-hour discount with those hookers?

>eating beef jerky

not even. they're so impressed by the food that they pay me. true story.

It's wrong to take money from elderly women.

I like sous-vide stuff at restaurants, but it's more trouble than it's worth at home. Takes 5x as long to cook stuff for maybe a 20% improvement in texture/flavor.

but I'm just so charming, user. they can't help themselves. Also let's talk about the real sous vide meme: the searzall.

It's pretty much a portable salamander. How expensive is it anyway?

Assuming you already have the right sized tank and nozzle I think it's around $80 just for the searzall itself

I use a beer cooler and ziploc bags and everything turns out good desu

I think its one way of making edible food when the chef staff have no skills other than burning the outside of a piece of food.

In a home kitchen, where the cook has skills, or is willing to learn standard and simple cooking techniques it's currently a retarded and expensive unitasker.

If I wanted to eat overly processed food in a plastic bag, I'd just go to a restaurant or buy overly processed food in plastic bags from a grocery store.

This I a commercial process in use at factories since the 60s, or before, and foodies have been making fun of it as a manufacturing method ever since, but fucking grant achatz boils food in a cancerous plastic bag, gives himself tongue cancer, and Everton fucking worships it as a technique.

The whole world is retarded these days. Sous vide is perfectly du joy considering all the other stupid stuff these days.

>overly processed food

Literally it's just the food and maybe some fat and/or cooking liquid sealed up to allow more contact with the heated water. There is next to no "processing" involved, let alone "over processing". Please stop with your hyperbole and strawmen arguments.

>flavour and texture perspective it is probably the best method to cook any protein
No,most consistent, not best. Anyone with enough experience and skill can produce similar results. Sous vide is an easy way for consistent results, not some modern magic that suddenly produces better meat

I've used it a few times, makes great osso bucco. Don't care about how long it takes.

Its not necessary, thus - overly processed.

>but user, plastic bags are necessary to cook food perfectly
Hows that for hyperbole and straw man?

you can do it in a pot with a pad on the bottom. you literally dont need any special equipment, just a pot and a thermometer

Actually pretty full of hyperbole, 2bh. I'm not sure what you object to the most about sous vide. You do realize that slow, covered cooking has been around for hundreds of years right? So do you just hate how mainstream the process has become? I literally don't understand why you care so much about just another cooking technique. Makes you seem autistic, to be honest with you

nah he's just a flyover

I try to avoid food touching any kind of plastic. Cooking food in a plastic bag for hours seems even more retarded to me.

What's wrong hippie? Afraid your crystals wont be able to align your chakra if you eat food that touched plastic? Lol good luck finding a food item that's never touched plastic.

It's just my preference, not saying that you have to do the same. Why are you so aggressive?

It's Veeky Forums; it's what we do.

>we

Stop

u mad bro? it's just cooking, it's ok

No I'm not mad. Just upset that you dodged a question with " it's what we do"

shills gotta shill

>"Cooking in plastic gives you cancer"
citation needed