How does one pick out good blueberries?

How does one pick out good blueberries?

Is it possible to tell by looking at them? Seems like the biggest crap shoot in the produce world. I just bought some that looked divine; large, plump, and dark blue, but they turned out to be mushy and tasteless.

Is it an acceptable practice to open the package in the store and sample one before purchasing?

try one or two pussy

Yes, it's acceptable, but you have to do it with something else at the same time. The blueberry is not a standalone fruit.

>blueberry is not a standalone fruit.
Wut?
>mushy and tasteless.
the farmed ones are big and watery , tasteless.. you need wild ones, picked in the woods, they are small and full of flavour but rarely in shops, you had to harvest them by your self

blueberry ( like most berries) need to be cooked to release the full flavour ( tartes, jam, pancakes, in a pan with butter and sugar over ice cream, etc)

>is it acceptable to try the fruit in the store
No. Nobody is going to say shit to you, but blueberries are sold primarily in containers that are pre-measured and not strictly by weight. So even if someone sits here and makes the grape argument, they aren't sold the same way.

Look for where they came from, give them a sniff, check their color and firmness. Know when they are in season. Also in general with produce larger = less taste of the same variety.

Why would i cook over ice cream, user?

>I just bought some that looked divine; large, plump, and dark blue, but they turned out to be mushy and tasteless.
and you were surprised???

let me give you a simple rule. the bigger and plumpier a fruit is = more water in it and less taste.

blueberries in stores are usually the cultivated kind

More water does not mean less taste. It's not just plain water that plumps up the fruit.

It's more that when supermarkets try to make produce attractive to the consumer, they concentrate and hardiness more than flavour. There are plenty of fruits that can be large, beautiful, and full of flavour but that's not going to be the standard in a supermarket.

Best way is just to try a variety and remember the breeds that you enjoy, if you're lucky enough for your supermarket to state the breed on the packaging.

And blueberries can be delicious by themselves. But as with any fruit, if they're bland, they will become more flavourful when you cook them.

>blueberry is not a standalone fruit.

Tss

This. The fruit in grocery stores is bred and raised for long shelf life, sturdiness for ease of transport, large size/high yield, and regular appearance. Flavor is a consideration only after these things, because that's what makes money.

Flavour also counts, but infortunately most fruits are bred to be sweeter and simpler in taste rather than more complex in flavour. Sweet and simple sells, no matter what fruit/vegetable we're talking about.

Go to a farmers market. Taste them before buying. It's like strawberries, and pink tomatoes at the store. They're usually crap

Go innawoods and pick them yourself. The season has started, friend.

It's july. Go pick them down by the powerlines. Freeze or jam all you can't eat. Hell blueberry pie freezes alright.

Actually, most commerical growers don't give a shit about flavor at all. The goals are maximum yield, a perfect appearance, and durability during shipping to the market.

I... work with fruit farmers user. People change their plants to more tasty types to sell better. Taste strategies work because you get repeat customers.

>buying fruit at the grocery store
It's as if you like wasting money.

Buy frozen. Just bought 10 - 1lb bags @ $3 US each.

Every year I pick my own strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. Blueberries are the biggest crap shoot. It's impossible to tell whether one will be good or not before you eat it.

Here's your (you) now fuck off.

Just go to your local farmer's market for fuck's sake.

See, this guy gets it.