Have any of you guys made coconut milk curry?

Have any of you guys made coconut milk curry?
Is there anything that I should look out for? Any recipes I should follow?
My favorite curry.

If you're buying canned, make sure it's unsweetened. Some people like to use canned coconut cream but I find its slightly too sweet and doesn't lend the right texture compared to milk. Also if you're tending towards a more Indian style than try adding cashew, poppy seed, sesame seed, or even peanut cream/butter. Soak the seeds/nuts then grind to a fine paste for best results. Also coconut milk mellows out flavors so be generous with the spices. And remember to fry the ginger/garlic/onion along with any meat before adding the coconut milk. You want to seize everh opportunity to create a deeper flavor with a coconut based curry. Lastly add some sort of acid towards the end, and optionally finish with cilantro or the green end of a scallion

unsweetened for sure, and I'm definitely adding scallions to it as well.

get a thai wife

I like the kind that comes in the tiny can. Just make sure you use coconut milk and not coconut water, and sautee your onions, garlic, fruit, and curry paste before you add the coconut milk
Top with chopped basil and lime juice and add salt to taste

Is there any specific recipe I should follow?
Or do I just toss chicken into a pan, wait till they cook some, add curry + coconut, and then vegetables and just let it sit there?

>canned coconut cream
>too sweet
You might be buying canned cream of coconut rather than coconut cream. SImilarly named product, but not the same thing at all. Grew up on coconut cream/coconut milk-based foods, & I'm not sure I've ever seen pre-sweetened coconut cream.

Coconut cream is also called "thick coconut milk" or "first coconut milk" in many of the local languages of places where coconut milk is a traditional ingredient.
When you make coconut milk at home, you grate coconut into the smallest shreds possible or, if you're all fancy & shit & have a blender, you put chunks of shelled-and-peeled coconut in it.
Then you add boiling water. If it's in the blender, you blitz it smooth, otherwise, just stir & let it sit about.
Then... you just... wait.
The coconut solids will drop to the bottom, the water will stay around the middle & the coconut cream will rise to the top, all as the liquid cools.
The cream can then be skimmed or scraped off, depending on how cold you got it (like room temperature or in the fridge, respectively).
That's all coconut cream is.

Generally, coconut cream is at least 15% fat by volume, but in many countries, there are no labeling standards for what is coconut cream & what is coconut milk, so just take any tin of coconut cream/milk & check the nutrition label.
Outside of the US, it's easy to spot what percentage of the stuff is fat because we our nutrition labels are standardised based on 100g/100ml of product. In the US, however, you can have a nutrition label that gives information based on literally any quantity of the product that they want, so it may give info for 30ml of product just as it might for 250ml. There's no standard.
In that situation, just divide the number grams of fat per serving by the grams/millilitres of the serving size. If it says, say, 56ml of product is one serving & 9g of fat per serving, then 9 รท 56 = 16something% fat.

Shall I continue on how to make coconut curry?

>shall I continue

Yes please, I'd love a recipe or technique

If you use a lot of coconut milk, don't cook it with the other ingredients, just add it in the last step. The oil in the coconut milk would otherwise separate and ruin the sauce.

Yeah it's easy and delicious. Try it out!

Okay!
Not sure about where you are, but here, coconut cream is sold either in 400ml tins or cartons of either 250ml or 1000ml.
250ml is about enough to cook up four servings of curry.

To do so, you need to break the coconut cream. Basically, you cook the coconut cream until enough of its moisture evaporates out leaving only coconut oil and a few solids behind. Pic related is coconut cream I broke (with a spice paste, hence the colour) for making a curry. This is the result of 250ml of coconut cream reduced down until broken.

use like a can of coconut cream
and a 1/2-1 cup of stock (usually chicken broth)

This is what it looked like before reduction. Note just how much it reduced in order to break it. That lump is the spice paste.

Once broken, you add other ingredients, then fill it with thin/second coconut milk (or half coconut cream and half strong stock).

And this is what it looks like once filled. Note the fat globules floating about. That's how you know it's done correctly. The green is lime leaf. The white thing is a catfish fillet.

ty maestro

Is it easy?

I recommend this company. It's very good, inexpensive, and the small cans mean that you can try many different types without the worry of not liking it or the hassle of making large portions.

Easy: yes
Expensive: also yes.

This guy knows what he's talking about.

I second and third this suggestion. This brand is fucking god tier.

Last bits of advice for you from me, coconut cream - highest fat content you can find or gtfo. Coco cream taste is very heat sensitive, so add at least half at the end the cooking is done and never boil again after this point. A common issue that noobs experience is overcooking the milk at the end - it will taste like wet dog. Jasmine rice is your friend.

Good luck.

the panang curry paste made by the same company is 500% better

some canned coconut milk has shit amount of coconut milk fat. end result will be watered down tasteless curry. spend more to get more (i.e. avoid cheap value $0.99 cocunut milk brands like Rooster)

grind lemongrass, ginger, garlic, and some chili of your choice into a paste

saute onion and bell pepper (and meat if thats your thing)

add paste, let cook for like a minute or two

add coconut milk

bring to a boil then simmer for a bit (and add in a bit of fish sauce)

BANG - thai curry