How do i get into drinking whiskey? What's good, what's bad, what's a meme?

How do i get into drinking whiskey? What's good, what's bad, what's a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

whiskyforeveryone.com/whisky_basics/whisky_or_whiskey.html
youtube.com/watch?v=exc3Rzrvi7o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You drink whiskey, you figure out what you like.

Don't put ice in it unless you're a faggot

If I only know shit stuff I can't get to know good stuff

don't drink whiskey, drink whisky.

It's spelled whiskey

nah m8 it's spelt whisky

>don't put ice in unless you wanna be a pussy about it and water it down
>Jack daniels is definitely a meme
>try to avoid bourbons Americans call whisky
>a good starter would be glenfiddich 12, or the little more expensive pic related

Maybe on your meme island

Don't listen to this, this is what hipster douches act like.

Whiskey is not inaccessible like wine where you are expected to know terminologies and subtleties in flavour. Scotch from regions tend to have the same taste profiles so find one you like and stick with it.

I've always felt really welcome hanging out with old dudes as whiskey tastings in a way I never have at hipster beer tastings or rich people wine tastings. I don't fit the demographic at all either since I'm neither old or a man.

>bourbon is shit but single malt scotch is real whisky

Are you a retard or do you have no taste buds?

I honestly think young pelicans disrupt most get togethers, but we welcome you nonetheless.

The only answer when you hear the word whisky should be Lagavulin.

Go get a cheap version of Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich, or Glenlivet. If you want to try a little smoke, get a Johnnie Walker Black. I say these because they're easy to find, not expensive, and are pretty friendly on the palate.

Drink it plain in a wine glass or a tall tumbler, and feel free to add water, but just enough water to make it not taste too alcoholic for you. If you're used to spirits you may need little to no water, but I recommend even just a few drops regardless because I think it really does help it "wake up", whatever that means. Let it rest a bit after pouring and adding water, 10 minutes in the glass can really make a difference.

Then, just drink. Take a small mouthful, and hold it. Swish it around like a doofus if you want, it actually does help you notice more flavor. Spread it around your mouth and see what you taste. Don't swallow too soon, and pay attention to the aftertaste.

PS: There's nothing wrong with bourbon either, but I have no recs since I don't drink much of it.

This is a blatant shitpost.

American whiskey and Scottish whisky are two totally different drinks. One is not "better" than another, they are very different.

Which kind are you looking to try?

Also, don't listen to anyone who gets autistic about ice or water. It is YOUR dram, drink it how you like it. My "go to" is Highland Park 10 with a drop of water. I recommend you try it straight (sip, obviously), and if you get a burn then add water a drop at a time until you don't.

I personally don't like ice in scotch, but give it a go and see what works for you.

I've had whisky once when on a distillery tour recent, it was Glen Moray 12 year. I really like it, but I'm not actually sure if it's a good example of the better stuff.

Should I try some cheaper examples to really get the flavour?

Glenlivet will probably put him off on Scotch desu. Stuff is nasty.

Opinions vary. I think it's fine, but not very interesting. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not user you are replying to. Glenlivet is pleasant but bland. Many better options for the price IMO

Google it you stupid fuck

Maybe it's because my first scotch was the Laphroaig Quarter cask but Glenlivet felt so boring and one note to me that i really didn't want to finish my glass.

Pleasant but bland is why its a safe babby's first. But that's about all it's good for.

My first was also Laphroaig but I don't think that's typical.

>Laphroaig
>Glenlivet

Totally different drinks. Always start on the Highland / Speyside stuff before moving onto the Islay stuff. All brilliant in their own right, but I am not surprised Glenlivet tasted disappointing after Laphroaig.

I think it is a good introduction to a single malt, and as someone who has a drunk a fair bit of whisky (fine, borderline alcoholic) I would buy it over the likes of JW or Chivas. But only if it is cheap. Wouldn't pay more than £20 for a 70cl.

I'm 21 and enjoy Jameson and ginger ale. Does this make me a faggot

Only if you also want to fuck men.

I would start out on bourbon and rye, because american whiskey is both better value due to economies of scale, and also a more approachable flavour profile in general

The way to drink it is room temperature with a teaspoon of filtered water, the first thing you'll notice is the burn of the alcohol, but as you become accustomed to drinking spirits you will build a tolerance to this and it will not burn any more

Flavour wise with american stuff the most noticeable flavour is usually caramel, this comes from the sugars in the wood used for barrel ageing (american law requires the use of virgin barrels whereas most european whiskies use second hand sherry or bourbon barrels, so there is much less sugar and more wood flavour)

also look for particular spices, citrus notes, chocolate, coffee, leather and smoke flavouring

Once you are comfortable with bourbon you can move on to other whiskies

Damn I'm screwed

Google Richard Patterson, watch his video on the yewtube and learn how to drink whiskey first. From there, take your time to consume with the intention of looking for flavours and gaining an appreciation for the subtle qualities of good whiskey. In terms of what is good or what is bad, it is generally a very difficult question, I would suggest looking to ensure you are not buy whiskey with high premiums. I enjoy some of the videos Horst Luening puts out on yewtube to help get a bit of insight before buying sometimes. It is great to spend time and money to develop a great collection, it is very satisfying for the soul. I started when I was 18, and now I am a little older, but you wil know that it is well worth it to put your time and effort into buying gems while they are undervalued. Good luck my friend, I hope this helps.

>learn how to drink whiskey
Piss off

>>try to avoid bourbons Americans call whisky
>>a good starter would be glenfiddich 12

Ignore this vulgarian OP, just like how even a baby learns how to drink wine, so you must learn to appreciate whiskey

>How do i get into drinking whiskey?
Buy some whiskey
>What's good, what's bad,
Good: above bottom shelf. Experiment. Try asking whoever is working at the liquor store what they like.
Bad: bottom shelf
>what's a meme?
Jack Daniels is the closest a liquor can come to regarding becoming a meme

>sugars in the wood used for barrel ageing (american law requires the use of virgin barrels

Wait, really? What the fuck.

This is pretty good and relatively cheap, family

if you really have no idea at all, you can often find seminars on whiskey that are cheap to attend
They're not filled with snobs and hipsters, or at least not the ones I went to, but you get to try multiple styles of whiskey for cheap and get some interesting background info.

Other than that, try out different brands, dont use ice because it does nothing but numb taste buds, water is okay though and can often completely change how a whiskey tastes.

>why no qt guy to drink whiskey with?
>I'm a girl btw

Fuck off whore

Ladies please stop the bickering.
You're both right.
It's like gray and grey, both are accepted spellings.

i am gonna sue you.

whiskyforeveryone.com/whisky_basics/whisky_or_whiskey.html
No, Google it faggot.

I was lucky enough to learn about whiskey from my Dad who had quite the collection. If you don't have any friends of family that drink whiskey and are willing to share with you (provided you bring a bottle to share as well), I'm sure there are whisk(e)y clubs that send out 50ml (about 2oz) bottles every week for their members to try. Cheaper that than buying 5 bottles especially if it turns out you dislike 2 of those bottles. And unless you're an alcoholic or drinking it every night it is hard to go through a bottle of nice Scotch in less than a couple of months I think.

Weirdly enough, I found my whisky palate to have matured a lot after the months in which I had started drinking wine occasionally. So don't be afraid to have a glass of wine with dinner. If you live in America you have access to great wines relatively cheap so you don't really have an excuse.

My advice would be, try everything you can neat, as well as with about a teaspoon of water. Even the cheap whiskys. If you try a whisky now and you hate it, don't be afraid to try it again in 6mo to a year. I wasn't sold on a Laphroiag's 18 I was gifted for my 18th (Australian drinking laws) but a couple years later I drank some and it was like a completely different drink. Instead of tasting like smoke and alcohol it tasted rich and sweet with a beautiful peat coming through.

Just try everything you can, don't be in a rush however. Developing your palate and learning what you like is a journey and is supposed to be enjoyed - and it's very unlikely you'll be able to sample everything anyway so why rush?

A good islay single malt scotch (Islay refers to a region of Scotland, single malt refers to a single whisky not blended) for a beginner is Talisker 10 y.o. One of my personal favourites and another one I learnt from my Dad.

friendo it's more to do with where it is made. you'll also find that 2nd generation whisk(e)y makers like Japan, Australia, or America use the spelling of the country whose whisk(e)y culture they were most influenced by. (eg America spirits mostly influenced by Ireland, spelt whiskey)

This link proves my point you dumb fuck.

OH MY GOD MY PENIS IS GOING OUT OF CONTROL FUCKIN LONDON PLEASE LONDON

Fuck off and shitpost elsewhere

Pretty basic, not too expensive, should help you to get into whisky's world.

> Want to drink whiskey
> Nah you need to learn to drink

No really piss off

>wine is inaccessable
>you are expected to know terminologies
Jesus, is that why you neckbeards have this myopic obsession with whisky and beer only, no exceptions allowed? It's because you can't just enjoy a drink, you have to be an insufferable pedant about it and drop "terminologies" and so you need to pick something that's adequately simplistic and nobody will make fun of you for saying the wrong thing?

Veeky Forums is elitist central. Which I can respect to an extent, if you're going to do something you might as well do it right.

Parroting "terminologies" that you memorized is "doing it right"?

What is the purpose of drinking alcoholic beverages, in your view? To "be classy"?

>try to avoid bourbons Americans call whisky
George Dickel No12 is damn good "whisky" though.

Bourbon laws are really serious about preserving purity. No coloring allowed, for example; and yes, all whiskeys claiming to be "bourbon" have to use fresh, American white oak casks, which never never held other spirits inside of them.

Can someone help me find some Scotches (probably from Speyside) which taste like The Glenlivet but which aren't The Glenlivet? I like the 12yo but it's time to try something new.

>floral
>fruity (like and crisp, like apples, pears)
>honey

I love my salty peat-bombs (Ardbeg 10) and also my rich, chocolatey sherried whiskys (Bunnahabhain) but now that it's summertime it's time to find a lighter sipper, I think.

>A good islay single malt scotch (Islay refers to a region of Scotland, single malt refers to a single whisky not blended) for a beginner is Talisker 10 y.o. One of my personal favourites and another one I learnt from my Dad.

Yeah except Talisker isn't from Islay. Sorry, dad. An ACTUAL Islay for a beginner would be Bunnahabhain 12 since it's not ridiculously peated like Laphroaig or Ardbeg.

>single malt refers to a single whisky not blended
Untrue. It just means all the whisky in the bottle is from the same distillery.

A "single malt" bottle often has dozens of casks in it.

light and crisp**

If your whisky is written with an "e" as in Whiskey - it's inferior.
Never put ice in whisky.
You only put ice in the inferior WhiskEy to make it taste less shit
You may put a drop or two of water into your whisky to open it up.
More than a teaspoon and you might as well not bother at all. That's also part of the reason why you never put ice in whisky.

Exactly 80% of the things you said in this post are bullshit.

youtube.com/watch?v=exc3Rzrvi7o

Some people always get triggered by the truth.