Traveling food experiences

Getting to know a countries food is literally the best part about traveling. Especially when it's an entirely different palette than what you're use to.

>So Veeky Forums, what are your favorite fucking discoveries while traveling?

>What Kind of food are you use to?

I am from rural Indiana with my family all being from either the midwest or the south. I grew up on foods like biscuits and gravy, porcupine meatballs(groundbeef with rice mixed in, seared, and then boiled to fully cook in tomato sauce. With potatoes in the sauce as well), chicken and dumplings, fried green tomatoes, country roast, beef stew, ect.

When I went to mexico to visit my GF I discovered the wonders of gorditas with burnt fatty pork, queso blanco, and... the best food I have ever had in my god damn life. Tacos al pastor. Like holy shit. Carnitas, barbacoa, and all of that other shit is alright but al pastor blew my god damn mind.

We walked past a taqueria and on the side I saw the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in my life. I asked my gf "Baby, what is that... that meat tornado thing?" Then we got some.

(was wondering other's peoples experiences after I saw the pizza thread)

Did you have any menduno?

That shit is amazing

Damn fucking right m80 those trompos are the shit, but nothing I tell you NOTHING can beat a good campechano I'm still amazed at how someone could come up with that shit and I eat them pretty much every day

>He doesnt know a kebab when he sees one

>making a kebab out of pork

Why hasn't ISIS suicide-bombed Mexico yet?

I have not had that yet I don't think. There's so much food in mexico.. I just... even my GF who was born in DF and has lived there her entire life couldn't tell me what half of the stuff I saw there.

I have been to mexico from september->mid november so I tried a bunch of the stuff available at those holiday markets and went back december28th -> end of feb so I got to try all the awesome stuff for christmas markets. And she would laugh everytime I would be confused when I saw kings everywhere.

I have had those and they were amazing as well. Also I discovered how amazing chilaquiles was as well.

I have absolutely no idea how mexicans aren't all terribly obese. Not only is all of the food just fucking amazing but it was extremely cheap as well. There is almost always a market close by open that you can go and get an infinite amount of veggies and fruits for $10usd but you can get taco's for less than a dollar each and holy shit they are amazing.

Perhaps you don't know what rural indiana is like. A "kebab" to me as just chunks of meat skewered and grilled. I had not seen a building over 4 stories tall until I was 18. I was 19 the first time I had ever even seen a parking garage in person. When I did I was like "It's like the movies! Car chase!"

I came from New Orleans which has a great food culture and a pretty wide spread of international options, but I live in Japan now.

Fresh made soba noodles are the fucking best, and I've eaten more tofu in the past two years than in the preceeding 26.

I've traveled a bunch. Some memorable food experiences:

Jerk pork at the Pork Pit in Montego Bay in Jamaica,
Grilled octopus at some seaside place in Greece.
Gyozas and beer at some little stall in Gion, Kyoto.
Korean BBQ in Tokyo's Koreatown.
Ceviche from a papaer cup at Carnival in Bocas del Toro, Panama.
Croque Madame with a small carafe of wine in Paris' 11eme.
Tiny grilled sausages on a stick in th medina in Fez late at night.
Every amazing meal I had in Seville, Spain.
Hot dogs in Copenhagen.
Getting a munchy box in Glasgow.
Best fish and chips of my life in Edinburgh.
Super hot curry at Akbar's in Leeds.
Irish breakfast with amazing white puddings in Dublin.
Porketta sandwiches from a tiny little place off Campo di Fiore in Rome.
The best breakfast of my life at a hotel in Nordenstadt, Germany.

Mexico is awesome. Planning to go to DF and Puebla this winter. Currently live in a Mexican neighborhood, so I already know and love that food.

Tofu is surprisingly delicious when cooked right.

And I so badly want to go to japan solely for the food. I don't care too much for sushi but good god do I want to try all that other stuff.

I was watching some kind of documentary, I have no idea about what, but they went to a restaurant that was Chankonabe. Just a mountain of veggies, meats, mushrooms, tofu, surrounding a bowl of broth. It looked amaazzinggg.

I forgot to mention, I made my GF 3 different kinds of biscuits and gravy (by far my favorite southern food). Sausage, Bacon, and Cornbeef gravies on homemade johnny cake. She had never had anything like it in mexico and she loveeeedddd it. Like, wanted it every day. Which would have made us the two fattest people alive and when we go jogging in the morning, biscuits and gravy kinda defeats the purpose. Shes like 5'4" and maybe 105lbs but she can eat twice what I can.

Chankonabe is sumo stew, and is a subset of nabemono. There's a place for it near where I live run by a retired rikishi.

Come to Japan during winter; it's most popular then and some places have special offerings at that time.

>I have absolutely no idea how mexicans aren't all terribly obese

But they are user

If anyone goes to DF try Nicos. Its probably the best traditional restaurant in DF. And if you have balls, go to Tepito, the food is fucking delicious there.

Is tepito that market where you can just buy whatever the fuck you want no matter if it's legal or not? Like, shrooms, weed, ect?

Because if so I went there. My GF was like "You need to see this market. Don't bring your wallet, passport, or wear nice clothing." Let me tell you... I stood out. I'm 6ft, pale as a ghost, have a stocky saxon build, big beard, and long hair. Mexicans on average tend to be abouttttt 5ft tall. They are tiny, which is something I wasn't expecting. Every single vendor gave me the shiftiest look I had ever seen.. a "what the fuck is the gringo doing here" look.

Anyways, 150pesos will buy you an infinite amount of weed in mexico. The shrooms were too god damn much that's for sure. (never had them, curious though).

The worst part was that all the spanish I had learned was from my ex before, who had Spaniard parents and they all still speak the spanish to one another. Which apparently to mexicans, spaniards have a retarded lisp to their accent so for meeeeee that was the worst as latin-spanish is a completely other language basically.

Man you get around.

>Korean BBQ
Is that really any good? I've heard that it's either amazing or makes you want to vomit. I have no idea what it tastes like because no one ever says anything other than "it's the best thing ever" or "it's awful"

>munchy box
I have never heard about this until today and this is the second time I have read about it. I want it

I also have lived in mexican neighborhoods quite often by pure chance. Both in florida and utah, salt lake. Salt lake had a couple El Rancho grocery stores where I lived and even closer to my apartment was another mexican market called El Potrero Bors Market. Even then...when I got to DF I recognized NOTHING.

Korean BBQ - thin sliced beef marinated in soy sauce, sugar, ginger, scallion, garlic and sesame oil. Pork is done in the same marinade with some hot bean paste is added. Then you sit around a charcoal grill in the center of the table with a vent over it so you don't get CO poisoning, and either grill the meat yourself, or someone grills it for you. You drink beer and shojou and eat it with pickles and rice.

It's a novelty meal, like fondue or shabu shabu, but selicious when done well. Just be sure you get it at a place where you're not just paying for the novelty because the customers can't tell any better. Probably good to go to a Korean neighborhood where they have to maintain a certain standard.

Munchy box: This is trash. It exists because the cheap take out joints in Glasgow sell pizza, Indian food, fries and kebabs. So throw all that together in a box with some salad fo the drunks (of which there are many) and you have a local thing. Great to share with a few of your drunk friends at the end of the night, but if you want some good Indian food in Glasgow Mother India was the place last time I checked.

Yeah, I had a job that took me all over the place last decade. Got to see a bunch of places I never would have made it to on my own, if only for a day or two in each place.

Uptown New Orleans here.

>palette

>
>been posting here since
>Veeky Forums will NEVER use the correct word

PALATE
A
L
A
T
E

jesus wept

>palette

Yep thats tepito

I want a Mexican gf so bad

>Duck Egg Noodles from Wing Wah in Wanchai, Hong Kong

Fuck me the food in that place, just off the fucking charts.

Out of curiosity, do AmChi places have authentic things on the menu to order?

Sometimes I see the workers eating things they made for themselves, I wonder if they'd make that for me if I asked

>have authentic things on the menu to order?

In my experience, most of them do. Just ask for what you want.

Any recommendations? Also for when I go to an actual Chinese restaurant.

> favorite discoveries
Danish high-end cuisine is fucking amazing, but so is smorrebrod bought in the street
it all has an almost Japanese feel, but bolder about the flavors and of course there's very good cheese
I heart Macedonian cevapi
Spanish-style cured pig meat is a transcendent experience

bump

Live in Korea.

Obviously Korean BBQ is great, Korean Fried Chicken is extremely popular here (nothing like southern style though).

Even the cheap here is great. And for the Americans there are all you can eat meat buffets, cheap as shit because most gooks don't eat much.

Not that user, but I'm over here in Mid City. Have you noticed how much good pizza there is in mid city? G's, Wit's Inn, Theo's, Mid City Pizza...there are probably more. I really don't understand why.

>seriously, that had to be an amazing job. Traveling really is something everyone should do.

I'm an artist, I don't care. You sound like a miserable faaggot.

Awesome. I loved it there. Given my size, I don't think many mexicans would try to mug me though.

>Spanish-style cured pig meat
Is it more like cured ham in the southern states or italian prosciutto? I really like both but prosciutto is easily on of my favorites. Put some prosciutto, baby spinach, soft fresh mozzarella, on french bread that has been drizzled olive oil sprinkled with coarse sea salt and it's seriously the best sammich fucking EVER. Prosciutto Piccolo not only smells like rotten feet, it tastes like rotten feet as well. I cannot eat that kind.

>most gooks don't eat much.
Are you sure about that? I know a few vietnamese and phili that are tiny little women and they eat their weight every meal. It's absolutely insane.

Hey man it's pretty great.

I mean, my Mexican gf has Chinese grandparents that moved to mexico in the 40s. Also her parents are also both Asian. When I first met her I was like "Hey" and she replied with her Mexican accent... which just confused the fuck out of me.

Wasn't expecting her to have a Chinese accent but Mexican was the last accent I was expecting.

I get a kick out of speaking espanol with my southern/kentucky accent. It's a lot like Inglorious Basterds "Bonjourno" but "OOLAaa"

>eating food made by nonwhites
lmoa

I've noticed this too. Don't think I've ever seen it spelled correctly. Always "pallet" or "palette." Starting to think it's a running joke.

>Full Definition of palette
: a thin oval or rectangular board or tablet that a painter holds and mixes pigments on
a : the set of colors put on the palette
b (1) : a particular range, quality, or use of color (2) : a comparable range, quality, or use of available elements

> comparable range, quality, or use of available elements

Christ, kill yourselves.

Seriously, have you faggots ever touched a dictionary? Palate is the roof of the mouth or sense of taste. Palette is a range of colors or a comparison of a group of elements.

Therefore, both words work in the context of taste. "Food is the best thing when traveling. Especially when it's an entirely different palette ( (comparable range, quality, or use of available elements) ) than what you're use to."

Maybe instead of desperately trying to put others down to make yourselves feel superior you should just accept the fact you're worthless and retarded faggots. The saddest part is how absolutely confident you morons are. Take this as a lesson in humility. You aren't as smart as your mother says you are.

Full Definition of palate
1: the roof of the mouth separating the mouth from the nasal cavity
2a : a usually intellectual taste or liking
2b : the sense of taste

Full Definition of palette
1: a thin oval or rectangular board or tablet that a painter holds and mixes pigments on
2a : the set of colors put on the palette
2b (1) : a particular range, quality, or use of color (2) : a comparable range, quality, or use of available elements

But "palate" is a different word.

pal·ate
ˈpalət/
noun
the roof of the mouth, separating the cavities of the nose and the mouth in vertebrates.
synonyms: roof of the mouth, hard/soft palate
"the tea burned her palate"
a person's appreciation of taste and flavor, especially when sophisticated and discriminating.
"a fine range of drink for sophisticated palates"
synonyms: (sense of) taste, appetite, stomach
"menus to suit the tourist palate"

Don't kill yourself but try to relax.

It doesn't matter that it's a "different" word you stupid fuck they both fit the context.

Are you seriously this stupid?

I travel all around the US for work, a lot of smaller towns not many big cities and I always go to a bar or two because that's the only thing to do there. Best burgers and beer in the country bar none are in Wisconsin.

How does that fit the context you dumb nigger. Pallete relates to colors not fucking taste.

>they both fit the context.

Hell no, at least not most of the time.

I do agree that the word "palette" could be used as describes it in , but I have never seen that in actual context. Every time I see it it's clear from context that the writer meant "palate" but misspelled it.

>try to have a decent discussion of international foods
>autistic grammar nazis ruin it
Good job Veeky Forums

>Pallete relates to colors

It certainly could refer to flavors:

>>Chef Jack stepped back, spatula in hand, and admired his creation: the chicken burrito was larger than a regulation football. The exterior was perfectly cooked: a deep, charred, and grainy black reminiscent of asphalt shingles which perfectly contrasted the raw, ice-cold, pink interior. Only one question lingered in Jack's brain: what sauce to serve with it? Chef Jack had an impressive palette of sauces to choose from: Horsey sauce pilfered from the local Arby's. A large packet of ranch salad dressing rescued from the crows in the McDonald's parking lot. Three ketchups and a relish from Burger King. And last but not least: a veritable rainbow of salsas, courtesy of a late-night Taco Bell dumpster run. Jack hesitated for a moment as though contemplating a major life decision. Salsa may be traditional for a burrito, but Chef Jack wanted to step things up a bit. His creations didn't follow the rules, they established new ones. His decision finally made, the meditative silence was broken. Chef Jack slammed the spatula spatula against the counter with the force of a Judge's gavel. "RAAAANCH" he exclaimed, as his greasy paw went for the packet.....

It was a totally amazing job. I got to be a touring musician twice. Backed up two different artists on world tours. Lived the fucking dream. Then used my frequent flier miles for pleasure travel. Had to get a new passport before the old one expired because it was out of room for stamps! Good fucking times.

But if work hadn't been involved there's no fucking way I could have afforded to travel one tenth that much. Seriously, if you're not rich and you want to travel you gotta work to land a job where travel is part of the deal. And competition for those is fierce. I lucked out twice.

Id be so happy to live in Japan

>Pallete relates to colors not fucking taste
Are you illiterate? For starters, you can't spell. So, way to fail. The definition below of palette is in multiple dictionaries. Just because you're ignorant doesn't change it's definition.
>a comparable range, quality, or use of available elements

>writer meant "palate" but misspelled it.
Or maybe it's correct... because it is.

Even if it weren't technically correct (which it is), palette works as a metaphor, simile, or even symbol in OP's context. As in, "A palette (a particular range, quality, or use of color) of colors are is like the range of available elements of foods or tastes". A culture's flavor profile is composed of a certain range of foods. This palette of flavors can be used to create unique dishes that cater to the familiarity of that culture's tradition.

>Hell no, at least not most of the time.
Why would you say "hell no" and then say "most of the time"? That mean's you're wrong. You know you're wrong but continue to make a fool of yourself. Why do you continue? Why, why? Why do you do it? Why, why get up? Why keep fighting? Do you believe you're fighting... for something? For more than your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? Is it freedom? Or truth? Perhaps peace? Could it be for grammar? Illusions, user. Vagaries of perception. Temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence that is without meaning or purpose. And all of them as artificial as language itself, although... only a human mind could invent something as insipid as grammar. You must be able to see it, user. You must know it by now. You can't win. It's pointless to keep fighting. Why, user? Why? Why do you persist?

>of colors are is like
I fucked the pooch

>Why would you say "hell no" and then say "most of the time"?

I say that because there is nothing in this world that is without exception. There is always an exception, and I feel the need to point that out.

I agree with you that the world palette can be used the way you suggest. I even posted an example of such a use But most of the time I see people write "palette" in the context of food it's clear they meant "palate" and simply misspelled the word.

I agree with you 100% that your interpretation here works with OP's post. OP's post is that exception. Most of the time you see "palette" it's some moron who can't spell.

BS, the op still doesn't make sense unless it's spelled palate. If you wanted to say range just say range, not a word that specifically denotes a range of colors. If you are being super specific and comparing an array of sauces like paint colors arranged on a palette then you can use it like . Just using it to mean range is wrong.

>not a word that specifically denotes a range of colors

Is it so hard for you to grasp that it could be used metaphorically, to imply a range of flavors the same way that a painter's palette has a range of colors on it?

>not a word that specifically denotes a range of colors
No, it doesn't "specifically". Why are you so fucking reluctant to google "palette"? Why are you ignoring posts like and that have the full definition clearly laid out for ignorant assholes like you?

>Full Definition of palette
>1: a thin oval or rectangular board or tablet that a painter holds and mixes pigments on
>2a : the set of colors put on the palette
>2b (1) : a particular range, quality, or use of color (2) : a comparable range, quality, or use of available elements

>(2) : a comparable range, quality, or use of available elements
as in "Especially when it's an entirely different palette than what you're use to."
or "Especially when it's an entirely different [range, quality, or use of available elements] than what you're use to."

Even considering that's obviously not what the OP meant, I explained why it's still wrong.

No, you didn't explain anything other than your preference for the word "range".

they tried, their bombs got stollen half-way the taqueria

Menudo is so fucking good. I always freeze a little bit of the broth. Better than chicken soup when you're sick. Not hard to make either!

The tripe doesn't taste funny?

>>making a kebab out of pork
Yea, they were introduced to the vertical spit rotisserie from lebanese immigrants, who were an overwhelming majority of ethnic Lebanese-Christians and didn't have any issues with pork. Don't equate being Arab with muslim religious food laws, or you look uneducated.

Look up Lebanese immigration to Mexico for some interesting reading history. It used to be that the richest man in the world is a Lebanese american (#4 now), and of course Lebanon used to be composed of 33/33/33 of the major three world religions....once upon a time, and a pretty forward thinking place. It's pretty much a diaspora now where they reside elsewhere, much as the Armenians. In Mexico, you could even say they ARE the de facto ruling class after 4 generations of commerce.

Tacos al pastor is not a true fusion food just because it uses the meat tenderizing ability of locally grown pineapples, an ingredient that was imported in the 1500s back to Europe and grown all over the Mediterranean. It simply uses the tortilla. It's one of my favorite foods :)

Those same Lebanese immigrants introduced quipe (kibbeh) to Mexico as well. And to Brazil, for that matter.

Lebanese surnames seem common in Mexico and Ecuador