Does Veeky Forums cook sous vide?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/awy1HhoHcZE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

yes, once or twice a week

yes. either when i'm too busy to supervise a tender cut of meat or when i'm doing a big project.

my mum keeps all her meat/fish in the freezer so i usually take it straight from there, bag it and sous vide straight up for a precook before i do anything else.

No, I do not want even more plastic particles in my food.

Yes, quite often. Mostly chicken or vegetables.

No but I'm interested. Seems like a good way to cook foods with minimal time spent in the kitchen.

No, I don't meme-cook.

I..is this a meme? Or do you ha/ck/s actually do this?

Witnessed

Just when the west started getting worried about plastic in their food they invent this shit.

>cooking something in a plastic bag

Doesn't sound healthy to be perfectly honest.

no bpa is leeched from ziplock type bags under 158F
bags meant for vacuum packing are good up to boiling and higher.

>bpa is leeched from ziplock type bags
So you're saying I shouldn't be sous viding with ziplock bags?

as long as the temp stays under 158f you should be fine
if its something you are actually worried about, i would spend the extra money to buy the bags that are actually meant to handle higher temperatures for extended periods of time

I've checked out a friend's set up. Not something I would do at home, but I could see how useful it would be in some restaurant situations. I know a restaurant I like uses it all the time.

But as a home cook I find I get more use out of my pressure cooker than I ever could imagine from a sous vide set up.

Gonna do a beautiful flat iron with a demi glace tonight.

Ordered a Joule back in december when they were doing a $100 off promo for preorders for christmas

Supposed to get here in september

Yeah it's great. You can make a shitload of duck confit and save it for later. Super useful but really expensive.

Yes, pic related. Steaks, chicken, creme brulee, salmon, turkey burgers. I've yet to take advantage of the long/slow cooking. Mostly, I find it useful for making tender, medium rare steaks. Also if I feel like being lazy and procrastinating on dinner a couple hours.

And by long, I mean like the 24+ hrs foods, like tenderizing tough cuts. I wanted to go full meme and make oxtail risotto with it, but no oxtail here.

as long as it stays under 158F your worst worry about ziplock type bags is the seal failing during longer cooks.

Anyone done a hanger steak before? What times/temps worked best?

Every week.

It's the best way for most pink.

Seriously - 72 hour short ribs are like nothing you've ever had. Should be the first thing you make when you buy a sous vide rig.

youtu.be/awy1HhoHcZE

IT'S FOOKIN RAAAWW

I've done slow cooker short ribs, but I can't say I've ever tried sous vide short ribs

That steak looks beautiful. I don't have a souis vide machine. Is it hard to keep the temp perfect with a pot of water on the stove top?

Nope.
It's cooked.

You just can't get this much with any other technique.

I wish I can but I don't want to spend $200 on just a kitchen gadget D:

>bought a foodsaver on Prime day for ~$50
>do some research
>everyone says a chamber style vacuum sealer is a much better option
>a good one is easily $400+

FUCK.

I just bought a really nice juicer too...

Well, I guess you'd be able to, but you'd have to stand there and flip the switch between the two different settings to keep the temperature balanced.

You can build one yourself as well. But these things are "cheap" enough that it's totally worth it.

foodsavers are fine, vacuum sealers are more expansive then they're worth honestly.

go on ebay and buy a foodsaver by tilia, has amazing build quality compared to the newer models and the motor gives no fucks if you suck liquid up unlike the current ones.

well i already bought it, seems to be working fine now.
i impulse bought due to the 50% discount (stupid), if and when it breaks ill do some research on a better one

with ones that dont like liquid your best bet is to hang the bag over the edge of your counter/table while it works so you can get most the air out before the liquid starts moving upwards.

Thats smart. I picked up that i had to manually determine the seal timing as it apparently doesnt notice when it starts sucking up liquid

I'd like one cause I'm quite the kitchen autist but won't get it for various reasons
- Don't want another appliance (and also a vacuum sealer) in my kitchen
- Don't want to plan dozens of hours ahead what I will eat
- Don't want to keep an 800W+ electric heating element turned on for 24 hours, electric current is too expensive here
- I'd be afraid I wouldn't be using the correct temp/duration for the whole time

>electric current is too expensive here

You mean electric power