Is a beef wellington a sandwich?

Is a beef wellington a sandwich?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwich
zefrank.com/sandwich/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

idk how to eat that either

Do Australians subsist on nothing other than shitposting and memes?

No because pastry isn't bread

I guess one could call it a sandwich, but it's a very different dish.

No you can't. The meat is being surrounded, not sandwiched between two slices of bread.

So it's a burrito

If hot pockets are sandwiches, why isn't this a sandwich

That sounds like a sort of burrito

WTF thats how you cut beef wellington? the fuck is the point of the pastry

you can cut it thicker if you want
but the meat is really tender and chewy so maybe don't shove a bunch in there are once

>hot pockets are sandwiches,
Wut? it's a Snack

???

anything enclosed in bread can be called a sandwich if convention accepts it. the core idea behind the sandwich is having a barrier between your hand and then bread.

however nowhere near enough of the surface of a slice of beef wellington is covered with 'bread' in order for it to really function as a sandwich, so i have to say that it really can't be called a sandwich.

It's clearly a pie

> the core idea behind the sandwich is having a bread barrier between your hand and the filling

>Americans are too stupid to understand a simple concept so it must be universal

Look, I'm sorry about your continued intellectual slide into the abyss, but beef wellington is not a sandwich and calling Hot Pockets a "sandwich" is equally as retarded.

If it is a sandwich then corndogs are as well.

Hot pockets are what you call a pocket sandwich.

Are you an ape or just blind?

I'm not the guy you're replying to, but IMHO the text on the packaging is simply wrong.

A sandwhich requires a filling between two seperate pieces of bread.

Wellington and hot pockets don't count because:
a) it's pastry, not bread
b) it's a homgeneous coating, not two distinct peices.

Wellington and hot pockets are both technically pies, but it's not as if anyone calls them that during normal conversation.

Corndog is not a sandwich, it's a sausage dipped in batter and fried.

Is cereal a cold soup?

Salad with milk dressing.

What about sandwiches where the bread is sliced far in enough to hold toppings but it's still a single connected loaf? Or those French hot dogs where they just slice out a hole down the center of half a baguette and jam a hot dog in it?

This thread is a perfect example of just how fucked this board is.

holy fuck I need to lurk this board more often

>tender
>chewy
>pick one

Since a cheesy gordita crunch has two tortillas, does that mean it is a sandwich?

Stop breathing

They aren't.

But its made of flour and water... it must be bread.

bread has yeast in it

I started this and I'm so proud it's still aground.

Basically it's just a hot pocket for pommy cuckolds. So yes, since they're all fat cunts.

Yes. So is fried chicken. They both follow the same rules
1. Breaded
2. Eat with your hands

Give me a really good beef wellington recipe.

This thread made me realize this is an option for a main dish I can make for something different next holiday.

Okay, so I've been wondering if a jelly donut could be considered a pie. Also, could you call an open faced sandwich nigiri?

A sandwich consists, topologically speaking, of a filling, with two seperate pieces of bread for the top and bottom

Anything else is not a sandwich

Is pussy a sandwich?

No, a donut is injected after baking.

No, no filling and not two distinct slices of bread

What if you add flour, water, and a filling to it.

Still not two slices of bread is it you moron

Veeky Forums - Ontology, Epistemology and Topology

I can only think of eight classifications for sandwiches off the too of my head. It doesn't match any of them

You've got the ingredients for a slice of bread. Add some heat and it should become bread. Thus, sandwich.

is an kebab a sandwich?

But you wouldn't get two, seperate slices of bread

if the pita is fully cut in half, yes, otherwise it is a hotdog

It's a beefy welly mate

Hotty stuffer

Floaty cornrollers

Splitty sand breader

You'd just have to cut along the center. Vertically across the vaginal opening. Like cutting a loaf.

what about a dürüm? its made with flatbread

if the pita is fully cut in half, yes, otherwise it is a hotdog

is a mexican stack a sandwich?

not bread

>otherwise it is a hotdog

This thread is great.

What about ice cream sandwiches

Wrap not a sandwich

So an individual sized beef wellington counts as a "savory handheld meal." Which is the basis of all sandwiches.

Pic is totally related

>A sandwich is a food item consisting of one or more types of food, such as vegetables, sliced cheese or meat, placed on or between slices of bread, or more generally any dish wherein TWO OR MORE PIECES OF BREAD SERVE AS A CONTAINER or wrapper for some other food.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwich

Thank you based sandwich Darwin.

If you put a slice of bread at both poles, does the earth become a sandwich?

The on or between part of giving reference to an open face sandwich. Which is still in the sandwich classifications. This is also from wiki... Which isn't the best source.

A sandwich is a dish consisting of two or more slices of bread with one or more fillings between,[1][2][3] or one slice in the case of an open sandwich. Sandwiches are a common type of lunch food often eaten as part of a packed lunch. There are many types of sandwiches, made from a diverse variety of ingredients. The sandwich is the namesake of John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, a British statesman.

>posting pizza in a sandwich thread

zefrank.com/sandwich/

>An EARTH SANDWICH is created when two slices of bread are simultaneously placed on opposite sides of the EARTH.
>In May of 2006 Ze Frank issued a challenge to his audience (Sports Racers), in an episode of the early influential video blog "The Show" to create the first earth sandwich in history.

What the fuck man

Huh. Guess that a yes.

>One attempt was made between the island of Fiji and the African nation of Mali. In the story that was related to me, a young man in Fiji tried to call an embassy in Mali. The bureaucrat on the other end patiently listened to the request before saying that 1) it was certainly possible and 2) that it would cost money.

What the fuck Mali

that is clearly too restrictive though.

Just use spain and new zealand

>If I just call a thing a thing, it's a thing

Cool: You're a retard.

It's a fancy pasty

t. Brit

Why?

Is wafer a type of bread? If so, good, but I don't think it is

but is pizza a vegetable?

So salad can be a sandwich if you put croutons in it?

That is bread IN the salad. The bread has to in some sense contain the salad.

I think the fight was about how much tomato sauce would count as a serving of vegetables for school lunches.

which is odd because you know, tomatoes are fruit

Still completely, 100% misses the point about why people wanted to serve vegetables.

You can serve deep fried battered carrots and go "ohhh but it's carrot"

right so if you put croutons on the bottom of the salad and on top it's a salad
Otherwise you couldn't call this a sandwich

so is cannoli pie or a burrito

The meat it between the two breads, so Yes

More specifically, we could define a metric d(a,b) by the vertical distance between two points.

Take b1 to be top bread, b2 to be bottom bread, and F to be set of all filling points f, then a sandwich can be defined by anyshape which has d(b1,f)

>The meat it between the two breads, so Yes
but the meat isn't contained by the bread
if that wasn't on the plate, the meat would be touching the table and you have to either take a bite of the meat without eating the bread or you would have to eat the bread part and then eat the two slices leftover

It matches my sandwich metric definition which I feel is sufficient

Also, would macaroni, mostaccioli, penne, and rigatoni just be tiny burritos?
Would a pasta dish containing those types be burrito salad?

>It matches my sandwich metric definition
But that's not the definition of a sandwich

It is an attempt to formalise the sandwich definition. You are welcome to submit your own definition. In mathematics it is common to postulate various definitions and then consider their implications. I think the definition I provide gives the most natural formulation of what most people would consider a 'sandwich'

>I think the definition I provide gives the most natural formulation of what most people would consider a 'sandwich'
Wouldn't that be the dictionary definition though?
Like, most people would say that Hot Pockets are sandwhiches because the package says they are

Ask the normal person to define anything and they will give a non-serious answer. That doesn't mean that mathematicians and others shouldn't try and formalise definitions

Americans need not apply

>That doesn't mean that mathematicians and others shouldn't try and formalise definitions
Doesn't it?
shouldn't they focus on more important things?
Specifically the things that normal people cannot define?

What is wrong with you people?

>How dare you discuss food!
you didn't have to even read this thread

1. nothing wrong with us

This thread proves most people cannot define sandwiches

>so is cannoli pie or a burrito

Neither. Cannoli is stuffed pasta. It can't be pie because it's pasta instead of pastry. And it can't be a burrito because there's no tortilla.

None of those are burritos because they are encased in pasta, not a wrapped tortilla.

>Cannoli is stuffed pasta
I think you're thinking of Manicotti
Cannoli is pic related

>not a wrapped tortilla
but a tortilla is just flattened dough that's been cooked
pasta is also flattened dough that's been cooked
and a burrito is filling wrapped around flat dough that has been cooked
so wouldn't pasta that gets filled up with cheese sauce also be a burrito?

So if I fill up a burrito with cheese, it becomes a fucking cannoli?

Or the other way around
Either way both burritos and cannoli are wrapped around a cheese based filling

because it is preposterous to assert that there is a substantive difference between a sandwich made of two slices of bread and one folded over or sliced open. one can scarcely imagine that whoever invented the sandwich would have a problem approving of a hot dog or wrap being grouped with their creation. it is fundamentally the same thing. the mode of eating is the most important thing. the layer of bread that encloses the ingredients is functional, and that functionality is what defines the sandwich. i don't think it matters that the bread is in any number of pieces.

So a whole fried potato is the same as fries?