Inexpensive cooking options

so in a few months I'll be moving out out of my parents and losing the comfort of eating proper food for a while. Is there anything I could read about how to make food on a tight budget that would be both fulfilling and nutritious. Advice from anons is also highly appreciated. granted I know how to use kitchen tools so complexity isn't much of an issue.

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/s/jhbn0c4ae0qp0v2/recipe.odt?dl=0
seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/02/pasta-chickpea-sauce-recipe.html
incredibleegg.org/recipe/mini-cheddar-quiche-bites/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Cook for multiple days.
You could take an eggplant, a zucchini, some bell peppers, carrots, onions, garlic, tomatoes, mushrooms, some minced meat, whatever you want, throw the things together, and eat for two, three, four days, depending on how much you made. Make rice (cheap as fuck) to go with it every day. This doesn't exceed 3€ per day, except if one of these ingredients is very expensive where you live.

You could try the same trick with a pasta sauce. Or with quite a lot of things actually.

Over time, I've put together a massive chart of the cost of foods per X calories, plus some info on macronutrients.

I recommend trying it out, it's a neat way to look at the things you eat.

For example, a day of half rice and half peanut butter would be almost a dollar.

Or, if I lived off of ketchup for one day it would cost me a little over seven dollars.

Or frozen spinach, which would cost me nearly forty dollars. Which is about 14 pounds of spinach, minus some water weight.

Eight eight
Ninety nine Ninety nine

can you post it?

Hey Op im a poorfag as well and what i do is ill cook enough plain rice for a week and a half and ill buy a breast of chicken. I cook the chicken with zuchini, carrots, and potatoes and make my own chili with the actual chilis and cook that into something like curry. ill have that over my rice every day. If you want ill post a link to dropbox with the recipe later

That would be great if you could link

Ok let me type it up
How much longer are you gonna stay in the thread because if you want i could email it to you as well

dropbox.com/s/jhbn0c4ae0qp0v2/recipe.odt?dl=0

Here you go user. Also its a bit spicy because habanero but feel free to take it out or replace it

Also any helpful criticism from any other anons would be helpful in making it better.
Also i forgot to include this in the recipe:
Puting 2 pinches of cumin in the blender for the sauce helps round out the flavor

Just buy canned beans in bulk and drink plenty of water. Don't even bother heating it up; they taste delicious straight out of the can.

Thanks mexianon, I'll definitely use that. Would you also happen to have any rice / macaroni recipes I could use since buying potatoes in bulk is fairly expensive right after I move out.

Not macaroni but you can boil some noodles and fry them in soy sauce and eat them with any stir fried veggies. I recommend carrots zucchini tomato onion and bell peppers. Half a pack of spaghetti is enough for a week and 1 of each of these veggies is more than enough

Also you can just fry the chicken (season it with garlic salt and/or chicken flavoring) and eat the little nuggets with rice

go with ground meats instead of an actual cut.

buy those bouillon powder/cube can add taste to anything.

all I can give really.

Ground meat is cancer

Oh, and another tip from me, stock up on spices. It's a bit of an investment in the beginning, but it will pay off as simple and cheap meals that would otherwise be bland will be flavourful. This encourages the cheap and healthy cooking that you're looking for.

Often during dinner I say to myself 'this shit is good and it cost me nothing', which for a miserly Dutchman such as myself is an incredibly rewarding feeling. Cooking a tasty, healthy, nutritious meal for under €2 feels like victory.

>see poorfag recipes
>dont even own a blender or any other kitchen gadget, devices a lot of these recipes call for
fuck my life

Just get a mortar
Most of time you don't even need to blend it to death like wi the blender.
Just finely chop shits will do.

All you really need is a knife and some sort of stove or other heat implement. Use your imagination. The result doesn't need to look perfect.

oh thank you friends, now i feel retarded

Its alright. And i decided to buy some and skimp on my budget for while because it was a worthshile investment

Also sorry but i left out that to put in the sauce you have to sift it through a metal mesh so none of the skin or seed pieces end up in the food, just their flavor

Metal mesh strainer*

Thanks bro it looks good but could you please email it to me?

I always by enough meat for the whole month, rice and pasta too. Then i'll always have something to eat for dinner and it's very cheap 500 g. Pasta costs maybe 1 dollar and rice costs 2. Then i have a limit that says i will only pay about 3 dollars pr. 500 gram meat i buy.
I don't know where you're from so my numbers might be a little off

my favorite poorfag meal is the following:
>can of tuna
>100-200g rice
>salt, pepper, soy sauce
optional if you have more money to spend:
>can of kidney beans
>some lime juice and parsley

just cook the rice and and put everything in a bowl.
Fast, tasty and nutritious...but most importantly it's cheap.

Aubergine is disgusting, otherwise what this guy said.
Also, buy a whole chicken for $5, make stock, make noodles, have soup. You can also thicken it for gravy on rice, or buy a bottle of caravelli's to put on your rice.
You can also put the gravy over biscuits or savory pancakes.

can also cook shit with ramen noodles. boil some ramen noodles, set aside. cook in beef with some veggies, set aside. add soy sauce in a pan with some sugar and cook it until sugar disolves then add all cooked items. toss around a bit and serve

seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/02/pasta-chickpea-sauce-recipe.html
This is pretty darn cheap and gives a lot of meals if you have a blender or food processor and is one of my go-to cheap meals. Sometimes I just make it with one 14 oz can of chickpeas and a pound of greens instead of cooking a whole pound of chickpeas for real nutrition.

Really just get used to liking beans. Beans and rice is the classic poorfag meal which you can make a little fancier if you have a store nearby that sells cheap bulk spices. I like to make bean burritos with tortillas, cheese, and some salsa, which freeze really well and allow you to break things up so you don't get sick of eating the same thing over and over.

Ill add this recipe to the bunch.
Eggs are another wonderful ingredient that are relatively cheap but packed with nutrients and macros (barring you don't have high cholesterol or something)
You can make them just about any way, and eat them with anything to add protein - poached or fried over ramen, added to rice, scrambled with beans and served on a tortilla. Lots of choices
incredibleegg.org/recipe/mini-cheddar-quiche-bites/
This recipie is to make ahead for breakfast and snacks. It calls for breadcrumbs, but if you cant afford or don't want to buy that make your own or just stuff a piece of bread in the bottom of the tin to make a bit of a crust.
Pre-shredded cheese os expensive, so if youre worried about that buy an actual cheap block of cheese and shred it yourself with a .99 cent hand grater.

^this. If you live in the States, go to a Mexican market, spices are super cheap. And stock up your larder: flour, rice, pasta, potatoes, etc. (starches), canned tomatoes, pasta sauce (Victoria is outstanding), onions, garlic, shallots, eggs, sour cream, a bottle of dry vermouth, soy sauce, fish sauce, sriracha. Bouillon cubes (paste is better). I buy veggies (spinach, mushrooms, green onions, pre slice the latter) and pop em' in the freezer. Get some frozen shrimp. Canned anchovies, tuna, etc. Grow an herb garden if you've the space. Buy veg/meat daily per meal, plan ahead. It will cost you $€£ upfront, but pays for itself in the long run.

Oh! And Dijon mustard. You'll be amazed at what you can do with Dijon mustard. And roasted red peppers. A must have pantry item.

This is a good idea, also Aldi if you have one nearby. It's not great for things like produce or meat but they've got really cheap staples like eggs and dried beans.

Sure, whats your email

Tuna is expensive

Try pasta
One Fresh sliced little shallot (a bag of it is pretty cheap)
Olive oil
Pepper
Slice of ham (cheapest animal protein here)

I know this is always helpful, but this isn't normally the healthiest option

>pasta sauce
>Bouillon cubes

Get the fuck out and never return.

You're right about jarred pasta sauces, that guy is literal trash for using them.

I use stock cubes because I don't actually buy enough whole chickens to make stock for all the things I need it for.

Sent ;)

Apparently you suffer from reading comprehension issues due to your extra chromosome. The topic of the thread is how to create cheap meals. Making your own stock, either chicken, fish, beef, or vegetable does not fall into that category. I'm sorry for your affliction, but if you are going to participate, do try your best to pay attention.

Or pretty much any foreign grocery store if you're somewhere in the US with a large immigrant population.

I live next to a big vietnamese grocery store, and it's great being able to make vietnamese and Thai food cheaply.

And using a jared sauce is fine you effete cunt

*jarred

Thanks pham just confirming it has been received

Lurk moar

Stir fry everything.

Don't forget the soy sauce and corn starch.