Are there going to be bitcoin futures every month?

Are there going to be bitcoin futures every month?

oh shit

Oh shit

what even are bitcoin futures? why does it effect the market?

This. I don't understand how some dudes buying or selling btc futures contracts on a Chicago exchange would affect the price of bitcoins on other exchanges? Which one leads the other? When they buy or sell futures are they actually buying coins on other exchanges? If not, then whats the connection? Maybe someone can explain.

Well, their success depends on the price. I don't know if this is all bullshit or not, it's plausible, but people seem to think that prices are being manipulated to fulfill the shorts and longs of the futures contracts by large scale institutional whales it seems.

its a bet on what the price will be in 30 days.

alot of those people who bet on it usually know something others dont, like know a whale that can manipulate the market in the last day to meet the expectation of the price.

so its a psychological move if some investor says bitcoin will be worth 7k by the end of the month, people will be scratching their heads.

Litterally nobody give a fuck about a couple of boomers betting on Bitcoin price.
They always closed at a different price, always shorting it.

Any brainlet can short or long on Bitmex, as far as Wall Street shark could, there's no real purpouse about futures.

What if they go long next time?

Because, dumbass, let's say the price of Bitcoin is $10,000 now and the futures price for a futures contract that expires in 1 month is $11,000. That means that if I sell you a futures contract, then you agree to pay me $11,000 for a Bitcoin in 1 month, no matter what. If the price is $20,000 per Bitcoin, you still get to pay me $11,000 for a Bitcoin. If it's $9,000 for Bitcoin, you still have to pay me $11,000 for my Bitcoins. I am aware that these contracts are just settled in cash and not actual Bitcoins but that's the basic idea.

So here I am as an investor knowing that I could buy 100 Bitcoins today at $10,000 each and make 10% on my money risk-free a month from now. Well now, when the futures contracts expire, I sell all my Bitcoins, driving the price down because some sucker still has to "buy" them from me at $11,000 each. Me selling drives the price down so I make even more money.

Every person who is long on a futures contract has someone else who is short on the other side. What you said makes no fucking sense, unless you mean "what if there are more people long than short" but that's completely irrelevant to the price.

More people going short = more people who are in contact with btc whales (or are btc whales themselves already) that will dump btc into oblivion

>I am aware that these contracts are just settled in cash and not actual Bitcoins
They're actually talking about using physical now. Not sure if it'll happen, but it's interesting.

That's a forward, not a future, but whatever

I don't understand how the futures keep causing the price to crash at the end of the month...

like isn't there a long for every short? a buy for every sell? so how does "bitcoin futures are now a thing" == "bitcoin is always going to crash at the end of the month now"

Its due to retards not understanding this. They think futures are all shorts.

generally the institutional investors are heavier on one side.

usually the institutional investors (with heavy BTC bags) are more concentrated on one side

but if all the money is betting on one side, who pays off their winnings? zero sum game, someone loses for every winner?