Hey guys

hey guys

I'm planning on ordering some whiskies online to broaden my tastes a little. I usually drink bourbon and some of the more popular single malts, with my go-to options being Buffalo Trace, Bulleit, Glenmorangie and Laphroaig.

I'm getting two bottles, a scotch and a rye. The only one I'm decided on is Lagavulin 16, but I know nothing about rye because it's proven hard to find in the UK. I'm considering either Bulleit or Woodford Reserve Rye, but I don't know if either of these are particularly worthwhile or if there's a better option out there.

My budget is £100 total, with maybe a little wiggle room. What would be the best bang for my buck? I'm open to suggestions on both the rye and the scotch, for what it's worth.

Other urls found in this thread:

oldripvanwinkle.com/van-winkle-family-reserve-rye/
thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/28/your-craft-whiskey-is-probably-from-a-factory-distillery-in-indiana.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>

Bulleit is decent rye, Woodford rye is bland shit for people who like the idea of rye more than actual rye. Whistlepig is probably my favorite, not sure if you can get it over there though.

you mean bourbon right?

Also I live in central Kentucky. Woodford reserve is like 20 dollars here.

>please play in my sandbox so I can boss you around
Fuck off and take your stickes and generals and "QTDDTOT" garbage with you

Not op, I just hate control freak board nazis

>Woodford rye is bland shit for people who like the idea of rye more than actual rye
Good to know. I'm definitely trying to experience what makes rye so distinct rather than just have a bottle of something with "rye" on the label to show off, so that's helpful. I can get hold of Whistlepig, but it's a little outside of my budget. Might pick up a bottle separately further down the line though, thanks.

>you mean bourbon right?
I don't think so, I'm not exactly hurting for bourbon options around here. It's rye whiskey I'm after.
I can get Woodford Reserve bourbon easily enough, though it's a little pricier than $20.

Guy who likes Whistlepig here. Don't buy Woodford bourbon either, it's crap.

I've had it before, I didn't think it was all that bad, but definitely nothing special.

>Lagavulin 16
My favourite whisky. Try the Pedro Ximinez editions as well if you enjoy/and have the cash.

Glenfiddich 15 is a good shout if you want different types of whisky and not stick to Islay.

if you were less autistic you might even see it as pointing op in a helpful direction to a thread that has information he's directly asking for

>Lagavulin 16
>watered down Diageo shit that got popular due to product placement
>when Ardbeg Uigeadail kicks its ass by being near-cask strength for the same price
>Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength too

It's OKAY as a 40% Islay single malt, but way overpriced when compared to Uigeadail or Laphroaig CS in the same price bracket.

Did they do something to Lagavulin or something? I haven't been drinking whisky for a few years but I don't remember it in any way being "watered down"

It's smoother than MUH LAFROOG CS because it's 16 years old

Try to wrap your mind around the idea that not all whisky has to be some kind of flash-bang grenade that shows off what a REAL MAN you are because you can HANDLE It

This guy is not wrong. Lagavulin 16 was godly about 5 years ago. Something has happened to it since then. As memey as Laphroaig is, it's a better scotch. I'd say Laphroaig Lore is more comparable to the excellent Lagavulin 16 of years ago & Uigeadail.

With the budget you're working with
Scotch - Ardbeg Uigeadail or Lore (if you can find it for a good price)
Rye - Bulleit if you're drinking straight, Rittenhouse if you're mixing

Buy the small 50ml bottles if they're available. That way you won't end up spending a ton on a bottle you might hate.

Bulliet is made at a mass distillery in Indiana. It's OK. If you want a rye there's non other than Old Rip Van Winkles Rye: oldripvanwinkle.com/van-winkle-family-reserve-rye/ but honestly -and ill undoubtedly get flamed for this- Jim Beam Rye is pretty gud for the every day. Source: known drunkard and rye whisky lover, myself.

*Bulleit: thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/28/your-craft-whiskey-is-probably-from-a-factory-distillery-in-indiana.html

>16 year old whisky
Whatever went wrong, I doubt it was due to product placement and the typical dips in quality that come with it. If you're drinking it today, it went into the barrel in 2000 so it probably just had a couple of weak runs around the turn of the millennium.

>meanwhile at the distillery
>Oh shit, this whisky is selling like crazy because of meme moustache!
>If we dump in these terrible casks that we'd normally sell to Johnnie Walker for blending then we'd have 500 more cases this batch!
>Do it.
>repeat in every production run until whisky is shit

>buffalo trace

My nigga, I've yet to find a bourbon that appeases my palette as much

>muh cask strength

I'm sorry kids, I drink whisky for the taste.

>le evil diageo bogeyman
lol

Feel free to add water if cask strength is too strong. Your bottle will last longer.
But I do get your point. There are some CS whiskies that burn in a bad way like Macallan CS, which is 58% ABV and burns to the point where you can't taste any subtle flavors until you dilute it.
Then there are some more finely crafted CS whiskies like Octomore 6.3, which is a hefty 64% ABV and intensely flavored without any significant burn. You'd never guess the ABV if it weren't written on the bottle.

Why are people still trying to get into whiskey. The ship sailed. Chinese colonizers bought up everything and the distillers are trying to solve the problem by making everything more expensive and shittier and shittier. At least get into craft beer instead. It hasn't peaked yet.

Or maybe some of us are looking for something interesting to drink and not just be part of a trend

I'm already into whiskey. I just want to try more.

Every time I scroll past this thread I think that thumbnail is a picture of a bottle of hand soap.