Cooking rice in the curry sauce

Hi Veeky Forums, Im new to this board and Im looking for a spot of advice, Im not too great at cooking but I want to give it a shot so im going to try to whip up a curry using a paste, now I am abysmally bad at cooking rice, I havent ever cooked it and it turn out right. so I was wandering could you throw the rice in the curry pot and have it cook through properly to just sort of make it a one pot deal?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3uLIgFsfWhI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yeah, I don't see why not. It'll take longer to cook than anything else in the curry, so keep that in mind.

Would soaking it first lessen the cooking time?

PS. You can actually just cook rice like pasta, boil in a big pot of water and drain when it's cooked. I don't think it tastes as good, but it's how a lot of non-asian restaurants make their rice.

Whenever I do that it just goes all sticky and clumpy, is there a way around it?

I've never had that issue. Do you wash the rice first?

Yeah I rinse it through a sivve like it tells me on the packet, but when it comes out its all sticky and mushy

You might just be cooking it too long. Consider buying a rice cooker?

Yep, it's called a byriani. Shitloads of recipes on google. I do them a lot when I go camping.

Cook it on a low temp. You don't want a hard rolling boil. Simmer it. And make sure there's plenty of water in the pan. Use the biggest one you've got.
And keep checking it regularly. scoop out a few grains with a fork and check the consistency.

I dont really eat rice enough to warrant that, if I did I would probably be half decent at cooking it, are you supposed to put boiling water through it afterwards?

Of course you can make a one pot meal. Rice, in my opinion, complements a curry, but isn't so good mixed up in a saucy kind of sense. Think about making biryani, curry scented rice, really.

How does one make a one pot rice meal? Add sufficient liquid for it to reconstitute, and keep it covered so it steams. Add a little extra time for it to get all that steam around all your other ingredients, so 35-45 rather than 20-30. Use the 2:1 ratio, and any liquid you like. I like tomato juice, stock, and a mixture of both, even a little wine.
So, saute your "paste" with other aromatics, onion, garlic, ginger, whatever. Veggies, meats get browned. Then your liquid choices. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Cover or bake. Finish with an herb.

There are several dishes found throughout greater Persia which are basically rice cooked in curry sauce.
The rice is par-cooked in water, drained, rinsed, put into a pot, topped with a sauce and baked in the oven to finish.

If you want to do it entirely on the hob, cook plain rice, let it cool, then make curry fried rice instead to get that flavour.

BIRYANI
I
R
Y
A
N
I

Cheers for the help :) fingers crossed, if I pussy out there are always microwave packs

easy start for your masala, quick and ez masala

Look up yakhni pulao. Use beef or goat

Hey guys. I might need some advice here.
So its 3 AM, just about to finish my work and I am really hungry, so I decided to cook some curry now. Not the most exquisite curry since I use instant curry blocks where you only need to boil it with water with meat and other seasoning that you'd like. I usually add carrots, potatoes, some veggies and milk with peppers and tabasco.

The problem is now I only have just curry blocks, meat and some pepper. Then I remembered I have this syrup kinda thing (cordial, pict related) which I learned the hard way that you must dillute it before drinking it. My question would be that would this actually improve the taste of my curry or would it actually screw it up? As I usually cook in bulk for 1-2 days serving and I do not really want to waste 2 days worth of food. Cheers

Don't ever open the lid, its that easy.
If its mushy, you added too much water. or didn't rinse enough. or added vinegar.
if you have acidic water a pinch of baking soda or powder will fix it.

Its not biryani you idiots. The process for biryani (dum or not) is completely different. Its more akin to yakhni pulao or for south indian stuff, bisibelebath .

I frankly wouldn't cook it in the sauce itself. Simply topping the rice with the curry sauce adds an extra layer of taste. Mixing the two together just makes it taste like curry-everything. Separate, it adds an unevenness of flavors that heightens the overall dish.

I wouldn't add elderflower to curry.

Isn't biryani just stir fried rice south asian style?
Anyway I don't think throwing it into one pot will turn out good.

Try this
youtube.com/watch?v=3uLIgFsfWhI

This is how you cook rice.
2:1 ratio of water to rice.
Pinch of salt.
Boil initially then low simmer for around 12 mins.
Do not take the lid off until you can no longer hear bubbling from the pan.
When there is no more bubbling/violent steam the rice is done

its more like a rice casserole, and the rice and meat are cooked separately partially with different spices, then layered and cooked together without mixing.

What advantage does that give as opposed to cooking it like pasta - i.e. loads of water and just drain it when done?

Might give your way a go

The method you describe usually over-hydrates the rice.

Though, different kinds of rice are best cooked in different ways. Basmati needs to be soaked before cooking. Short-grain rice (aka sticky rice or sushi rice) uses a different proportion of water than most long-grain rice. Carolina Gold benefits from cooking it with loads of water and then letting it dry out a bit afterward. etc.

No.

I usually drain the rice when it is still slightly firm in the middle, will your method give me a similar texture? Last thing I want is for it to turn to mush.

Will give your method a go with dinner, never tried soaking it before either.

Thanks user.

what's not biryani? the OP question was extremely open ended.

rinse the rice thoroughly before cooking

Yeah it's fine to do that, but you should spend a bit of time trying to cook rice well. Depending on your appliance, the time taken can vary by a few minutes as what's stated on the packet. As for me, I rinse, soak (at least 30 minutes) then rinse. To cook, I use 1 part rice to 1 2/3 part water. Bring to boil with lid on asap then simmer for 11 minutes. Rest for 5 minutes before opening lid. This is for basmati rice.

That's a biryani.

I'm kind of tempted to try a curry risotto now.

...with parmesan?