Traveller's foods

Hey Veeky Forums, I'm looking for some food that will keep for long periods in variable temperatures with plenty of energy. I'm going to be out away from stuff for most of a day. It should keep at up to 80F for ten hours minimum. If it's damage resistant, so much the better, because it's gonna get shaken around a lot.

Any ideas?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2fE5KzvOZRk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Obviously trail mix and nuts have been considered, and so have various power bars.

thermos of meal shake if you just need calories

Invest in a thermos

Are there any places that make decent thermoses anymore? I heard that the quality of them went sharply downhill sometime mid-last-century.

Yeah, I figured you'd have covered the obvious stuff.

Other ideas:
Jerky
summer sausage
anything pickled or cured (though may not be high in the energy department)
anything canned

Just buy a thermos brand thermos. They're fine

various nut butters + tortillas

that's what all my hiker friends eat

>Any ideas?
Don't use a bag like that or you'll look like the ringer of Notre Dame when you're done traveling.

log of cured salami
packets of tuna chicken ect...
underwood meat spreads
jerkys

not so hard to do

keep food supplies and liquids separate, as in dry food and some bottles of water. It will fix your weight problem in case your bag gets too heavy (drop some drinking water when heavy, but make sure you have at least 1 liter when traveling in hot environment). This is why dehydrated stuff is favoured by the army and by hikers. When you need to eat you can rehydrate foods and get decent volume on it even if you don't carry around much food.

Christmas pudding or similar if you want a dessert type food

Throw it back old school and make pocket soup. That's not a joke. It's essentially soup jerky. Look it up.

unsalted/lightly salted roasted peanuts

this
youtube.com/watch?v=2fE5KzvOZRk

Is this a one day trip? If so what the fuck do you need to make a thread for? You'll be fine.

If it's longer than one day (i.e. you're backpacking for a few days with no cooler) it's a bit trickier.

I still agree with A thermos is great for something hot or cold, or both, if you have a way to segment your vessel you're carrying food in. Something else you neglected to mention which is important.

Disposable ice packs (the kind you "crack" and they activate work well when pair with some sort of insulation. Or dry ice even for that matter. But once again, you were too vague on the duration of your trip for us to know what the fuck you're asking for.

OP, why not clarify the air and tell us wtf you're doing?

>...(drop some drinking water when heavy, but make sure you have at least 1 liter when traveling in hot environment).

Did you really tell him to get rid of the one thing more important to the human body than food? Holy shit dude, humans can go weeks without any food but a few days with no water and you're dead.

>Are there any places that make decent thermoses anymore? I heard that the quality of them went sharply downhill sometime mid-last-century.
If you buy a vacuum-insulated thermos, you'll be paying about 4x the price, which is your clue it is probably decently made. The vacuum insulation keeps foods at desired hot (or cold) temps a good 8-12 hours. Old timey ones which were lined with glass were fragile, but could do up to 24hours. Glass also doesn't have as much memory between washing so you could follow some tomato soup with lemonade and not be the wiser. If that is needed by you? You'll deal with the fragility, but I wouldn't bother.

As a traveler, I do always pack 3-4 bars in my carry-on for use throughout a trip, from being stuck on the tarmac for ages in an airport delay, or being in an airport past normal business hours where things are closed...to the hike idea, or missing breakfast and waking with a sour stomach. That kind of thing. I like dry ones, like basic nature valley. If I worry about nutrition I like Luna bars. A Kind bar is like trail mix and less salty.

When I shop as a traveler to save money, or again for hiking, I buy whole fruit, from bananas to peelable apples or oranges (helps to have a knife). Whole salami, some aged cheeses, can help a basic loaf of french bread to be a meal. Pack a few tea bags, and you can sometimes top off a thermos with hot water and add your bags to steep if caffeine headache is your typical concern.

I've not drank water in over a week.

Drop some of the water if the pack is too heavy.

Some.

If you have 5 liters, drop three and keep two if you need to move from bus to hostel and so on.. It's not like the guy is going to hike in the sahara desert or anything. He'll be fine.

did you drink your pee

no

y not

beef jerky/dried fruit are the obvious choices.
Grain stuff/grain salads if its not too demanding

it's brown and doesn't appear appetising.

t. not drinking enough water

Water is unnecessary.

hardtack

k

I just drink milk and get the rest of my liquid needs from my food.

Needing water to survive is a meme.

This goes back to the other post I made, chewing out OP for being a dumbass and not giving us any more info than "needs to be able to be ok in fluctuating heat:

metal also benefits from precooling/heating with ice or hot water respectively for best effect

Be cautious with cured meats. Many say you have to refrigerate them after opening. However, in my experience they're fine for several days, if you can eat a log of cured meat that quickly. If you're in hot/humid it may go rancid within a day.

Instant/regular oatmeal, wax wrapped cheese, bread, fruit/veg, gorp, anything shelf stable.

>Christmas pudding

>Christmas puddings are often dried out on hooks for weeks prior to serving in order to enhance the flavour. This pudding has been prepared with a traditional cloth rather than a basin.

The fuck is this shit, magic?

This. You are not guaranteed to find water. I'd sooner gulp the food or outright trash it than toss the water. After even two hours of hiking in heat without water you can feel effects of dehydration.

Careful with instant oatmeal, and instant a lot of things. They often add a large amount of salt so they cook faster. Watch your sodium intake, especially when it's hot.

pop tarts
mixed nuts

What are you needing the food for OP? Wanting it for backpacking in the mountains is different than wanting it for backpacking across Europe.

M. R. E.
One a day will keep you alive for at least a month. Field strip them to their basic components and you can carry a weeks worth in very little space.

M.R.E.s are expensive, and are just dehydrated food stuffs of low quality. OP is better off just bringing dehydrated food stuffs with enough calories to keep him through the days he's traveling.

OP said nothing about it having to be extremely cheap. One MRE is about $15. $15 a day is pretty cost effective. OP wanted something heat resistant, impact/damage resistant, and portable. That is pretty much the definition of an MRE.

>>portable
Alas, MREs contain a great deal of packaging and extra crap in them (gum, toilet paper, etc.) They are certainly durable and whatnot, but they're also heavy and bulky.

-peanut or peanut butter
any kind of compact nuts: almonds, etc
-jerky is the most obvious to bring
-fried noodle snacks [mamee]. high in salt, but damage shouldn't be a problem as people i know usually crush them before eating

Fucking this It has loads of plastic, cardboard and paper that you have to bring back with if plus all the extra stuff you don't need.
And 15 bucks a day for garbage is not cost effective. You can live off that for a week if you plan your meals ahead and choose non-processed produce and basics.