Do they actually do this in Italy?

Do they actually do this in Italy?

Other urls found in this thread:

tuscantraveler.com/2012/florence/italian-food-rule-dont-dip-bread-in-olive-oil-balsamic-vinegar/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes, that's why they are so greasy/disgusting.

they do this in a lot more places than just italy

Only in murica i guess.

tuscantraveler.com/2012/florence/italian-food-rule-dont-dip-bread-in-olive-oil-balsamic-vinegar/

I don't know or care because good bread with good olive oil and some balsamic is fuckin amazing

>tuscantraveler.com/2012/florence/italian-food-rule-dont-dip-bread-in-olive-oil-balsamic-vinegar/

it's not only in murica and that blog post is completely fucking up its own jacksy

To be fair, there is literally nothing worse than trying to talk to italians about how "italians" eat because everyone says "but that'sa how mya mamma used to make it" and it's always different

T h i s
h
i
s

wise man has spoken

ive had an italian tell me to my face that they never put onions or garlic or herbs in tomato sauce in italy.

Yeah sure buddy. Maybe if you have the highest quality san marzano tomaters available 24/7 you don't need onions and shit, but for the quality of canned tomatoes we get in this country you're damn right im gonna put some aromatics in it, if you dont like it go back to fucking italy.

Plus all italians are #noskills, 100% talk and when it comes down to making a gnocchi or angoloti fresh they cant even get the texture right on the dough.

Fuck italians they're shit tier.

this

also being overly concerned with whether or not something is authentic, is a warning sign that you might be a hipster. just eat what's good

>ive had an italian tell me to my face that they never put onions or garlic or herbs in tomato sauce in italy.

he's wrong.

mad 'merifat detected

They don't, but it sure tastes good.

Have you ever considered the possibility that Italians dont operate as a single hivemind which only does things that the collective has deemed "authentic"?

Wtf do amerifats really do that?

No, the fat ones would be uncomfortable at a real restaurant. They eat fast food.

But yeah, what OP mentioned is pretty common for low tier "Italian" restaurants in the US.

>But yeah, what OP mentioned is pretty common for low tier "Italian" restaurants in the US.

it's common in restaurants and homes all over the mediterranean as well.

Daily Europe obsession thread.

I don't understand why this board has such an hate-boner for italians

>ive had an italian tell me to my face that they never put onions or garlic or herbs in tomato sauce in italy.
No you haven't. Why do you lie to people you don't know, user? Who hurt you?

They dip them in olive oil or drizzle them with it sure.

The balsamic? I don't know.

From Italy here.
Never seen it with vinegar, but I don't see why not. Italians do dip or drizzle in olive oil lots, though. At least in the south, anyway. Less common the further north you go.

I'm Italian, never did this or ever heard of anyone doing this in Italy.

Probably because if you have bread, oil and vinegar then you might as well make a bruschetta.

My favorite Italian place doesn't have this. They serve a rustic loaf with butter on the side. I was originally disappointed, but soon found that the bread they serve greatly complements the soups and wiping up sauces from the entrees.

does it matter?

various mediterranean countries ive been to do this - south italy was no exception but i didnt see it in the north

I do it here in england m8, it's fackin' lavely.

si fa anche al nord, not as ubiquitous though

truth to this and everywhere on the planet. most countries are not unified in culture as we tend to imagine them. this includes americans, italians, germans, french, chinese, indians, etc etc etc etc. this shows itself particularly in the cuisine.

i hate fucking italians who think they're experts on italian food just because they're italian.

onions and garlic belong in basically every meat dish tho

Cultureless mystery meats tend to envy countries with a strong and insular culture. This site exists because of it.

Yeah those darn actual Italians knowing what they do or don't actually eat regularly really makes it hard for you to keep your preconceived notions and memes around Italian food going.

There's far too much variation in real Italian food due to regional differences to make blanket statements like that. Anyone who says "nobody in Italy [does this thing]" or "everybody in Italy [does something else]" is a shithead and probably has never been to the country in the first place. The USA is full of 'Italians' like that who think that just because their mother is a short fat bitch with black hair, her recipe for [tomato water simmered for 12 hours] is the Lord's True Sauce and anyone who disagrees is a fuckin jabroni.

Now, there are some Italians out there who actually know their shit. They can tell you what town the dish they're making is from, why they make it there (because the ingredients are local, etc) and they are proud of their food, but never pretentious. Some of these people aren't even Italian, they just learned the shit and fell in love with it (source: I worked with a Cuban guy from NYC who made baked mussels that Satan would repent for).

On a side note, people who cling to tradition and refuse any sort of change or alteration for the better should fuck off. Just because your home town didn't have garlic 200 years ago doesn't mean we shouldn't throw a few cloves in the chicken stock, faggot.

do americans really eat dinner in bed?

What a retarded article

I dunno, but they should if they don't.

correct

some salt also makes this better

The only nationalities that I regularly hear this kind of bullshit from are Italians and Turks.

Even plenty of true Italians I have met would speak as if their tiny regional variation of a dish (or the way their mother made it) was the only correct Italian way. For instance, one guy insisted that ragu was meat fried with onions and nothing else.

Turks just seem to want credit for every dish that exist in South Asia, the Middle East and Northern Africa.
Kebab, pita, falafel, naan, pilaf, tzatziki, meat balls; All of these are purely Turkish and anyone who says otherwise is a liar and a thief!!!
It's especially odd when you consider how many great dishes they can actually lay claim to.

they can talk about what THEY do or don't eat but not their whole fucking country. just as bad are the brits who come in here saying 'brits NEVER actually eat english muffins, i've never seen one'

I grew up in SoCal, and the great hole in the wall Italian place I always went to did this. Then when I went to Italy (Rome/Sicily/Venice) there was only one place that did it, and it was this place in Syracuse, Sicily. We sat down, and just got the shittiest service. No drinks, than no menus, and then bread with nothing else. Just as we were about to get up and leave the owner came up to us, with the Olive Oil, and a special balsamic that looked like it came from the back of his grandmothers pantry (There are bottles of balsamic on the other tables, not this stuff) it was so good I almost came right at the table. Italians are too varied to discuss any hard and fast rules about the whole country, but hands down the best food I had was in Sicily. Dat Freah Seafood. Nom.

pshh

>not wearing skirts to school

Do you even effay?

oh shit son, people in different regions act different, call the news, just like people in Texas will eat in a different way that in say, California.

That was literal my point you obtuse american fuck

Well then hold on to your butt because, io sono italiano, giĆ .

IT'S NOT A SKIRT IT'S A KILT

What a waste

Nice digits btw

>that pic
>someone out there is actually mad about this

Best post here

I prefer it with salted linseed oil and no vinegar.

I am Italian
I can confirm that I have done this
I can confirm that it is delicious

are italians white?

I've spoken to the Italian Overmind and can confirm that you are wrong.

I've met a couple of Italians like this.

The thing that weirds me out about it is - wasn't a lot of what we currently understand as Italian food only developed relatively recently? It's not some grand culinary tradition in an unbroken line of descent back to the dawn ages, but relatively modern innovations and experiments.

if I'm going to cook a dish for myself I want to have something authentic in my mind as a starting point. Why do autists assume that "authenticity" is just a meme?

At a restaurant, while you wait for your food, you generally will have balsamico and Olive oil on the table as well as some bread. what you make of it is up to you.

Cut the bread in half, pour the oil and balsamico on one half and make a sandwich

I bake this thing like once every few months and make a dish of the olive oil/BV and some herbs/salt and my daughter and I will eat the entire thing in like 15 minutes right after it comes out of the oven. I don't think it's Italian in any way but it's really good. I wish I knew how to make actual home made bread, though.

>"I wish I knew how to make actual home made bread, though." - A man on the Internet

What did he mean by this?

I think you have it twisted. people who are overly concerned with
>muh authenticity
>muh food culture
>ohgodisthisevenauthentic??
are autistic. I agree with you. keeping in mind what is actually authentic, as a starting point, is helpful and makes it easier to improve it or make it to your taste.

I don't think anyone thinks authenticity is a meme, there's just pushback when boring people have insisted for decades that there is only one way to cook something.

>oh my god americanized pizza is sooo inauthentic lmao probably never even been to italy.

^ that type of shit gets real old especially when you know they order pizza from a chain just as often as whoever they're replying to.

He's probably as italian as me, and i'm belgian. My grand father is an italian who grew in italia and i can say your guy if full of fucking shit, also you're a fucking moron.

I really, really hate that shit. It is so utterly tasteless that the only way TO make it good is to soak it in shit.

When I was 18-22ish I lived with someone who made this like two or three times a week. butter couldn't even save it.

That's probably why we dip it in that shit honestly but when soaked in it, it's not bad. I don't remember ever trying it by itself before but couldn't imagine just butter would be good on it at all.

MAYBE it's not that bad and I just got tired of fucking looking at it after seeing it/eating it so often. But probably not. I remember it being utterly void of any taste.

No it probably actually is but it's cheap and I can't really mess it up unless I burn it

Use the internet to figure it out man.

Huh?

THIS, PLEBS DON'T FUCKING KNOW

When I visited my sisters in-laws they did that.

Hi Ulrich.

the only thing they don't do in Italy is monogamy

All over Southern Europe actually.

Define "recently."
Restaurant food is young. Most home cooking is much, much older and unknown to foreigners.

Some dishes date back only about 150 years. These are generally the ones you hear about abroad. Others date back 400 years or more. These you hear about far less commonly because they're peasant foods, barely differing from what Arabs eat today. An example is white bean pottage. It's from Sicily. Other than the swap of lard for tahini and white bean for chickpeas, it's pretty much the same thing as hummus. Because it's such a poor-people food, it's pretty much unknown outside of Sicily because no restaurant will want to serve something so humble at you, despite how delicious it actually is.

Similarly, pasta with peas, a dish I grew up on and fucking love, dates back to the 13th century. It's a very, very simple dish of onions and cubed pancetta or guanciale slow cooked in olive oil, topped with freshly shucked peas (though frozen are more common today) and veg stock then, finally, with broken pasta added and cooked in the broth. Some people make it into an egg-drop dish by adding beaten egg to the broth just before serving.

It's super simple and super good, but not something you'd see in a restaurant because, again, it's very, very humble.

Basically, if it's vegan or uses very, very little meat or cheese, it's likely a very, very old dish.

There's no such thing as authenticity only who is right and who is dead

FUCKING THIS

Did he have a strong New York accent?

This website has convinced me that Italians are awful people

>Similarly, pasta with peas, a dish I grew up on and fucking love, dates back to the 13th century. It's a very, very simple dish of onions and cubed pancetta or guanciale slow cooked in olive oil, topped with freshly shucked peas (though frozen are more common today) and veg stock then, finally, with broken pasta added and cooked in the broth. Some people make it into an egg-drop dish by adding beaten egg to the broth just before serving.

I'm actually gonna try this tomorrow, sounds nice.

Are we just going to ignore these quints?

Thanks for explaining it that way user. Makes sense, to be honest.

Fuck off

t. someone who has never left his parent's basement

No. I did it recently and my friends like dudewatlmao and I told them it's an Italian american thing and then they reminded me I am not a character in the Sopranos but just an average guy in Italy.
Eh/10

They are awesome....

Now that I think of it it's much more usual to slice bread then drizzle oil ON TOP of the bread, accompany it with oregano, tomatoes or garlic and shiet and call it a bruschetta (if toasted) in not who cares.

italian here

don't believe a word we say, we only care about ourselves and our families.