Deep Frying

My grandmother gave me this old deep fryer / cooker which has been sitting on a shelf under her sink for 20 years. It has never been used.

I cleaned it up (there was a lot of residue on the outside).

Now what should I do with it? I am thinking of frying yukon gold potatoes and fish. Maybe pollock or cat fish. Should I use corn oil or canola oil? Health doesn't matter to me, I only care about taste here. My local grocery does not carry peanut oil.

Any of those oils are fine and don't really make a difference. If you have an latino grocery store anywhere near you they usually sell gallon jugs of peanut oil for much cheaper than regular stores.

I would like to get a sort of savory but clean flavor if I can. Like Long John Silver's (my grandmother's favorite restaurant) but better.

Well I say fuck that local store, drive your ass out there and stock up on peanut oil. The further it is the more you buy.

>savory but clean flavor

The only difference the oil is going to make is whether or not it's been used a few times. You obviously want to filter your oil, but perfectly clean oil kind of just makes the food taste like... oil, and that's not really a nice flavor.

For fish/clams get you some shore lunch mix, and make some hush puppies to go along with it

Make some wings man. Some good fried wings are the bee's knees.

& collard or mustard greens sauted w some smoked ham

Make your own fries. Ridiculously easy. Always a good place to start.

Or, if you're a seasoned fryer vet, make your own mozzarella sticks. Hell just make up a batch of batter and fry everything you have.

Fried candy bar? Go for it. Fried soup? Shit, not sure how you'd do that but I think someone managed to fry booze so I say why not? Fried onions? literally no reason not to. Just chop that onion, throw it in the batter, then scoop 'em out, roll the sticky mass in flour and fry that. Let me know how it goes.

Fry fish. Fry vegetables. Hell, what if you fry a bunch of rice? Just make a sticky batter rice ball thing. I hear ground up cheerios make a good breading.

*cajun style shore lunch; zatarans (sp.?) or even old bay with a pinch of cayenne will work depending on where you're at.

I've done this before, *hangs head in fat shame* make Mac&cheesew bacon, add a little jalapeƱo, roll pasta into balls, bread in panko, deep fry. You can do it poor (Kraft) or high class with bechamel, smoked Gouda, etc., Fucking amazing.

So maybe corn oil for the first go around since it has some more flavor than canola?

I used to own a fryer. It's great for wings or a fish fry. It will stink up your house though which caused me to fry in the basement.
I ditched it when I got married to a health nut that had no basement.

So the basic order seems to be

>prepare french fries
>soak in salt water
>pat dry
>blanch them in deep fryer
>remove the fries and set them to dry
>prepare fish
>fry fish
>take out the fish
>put fries back into oil
>finish fries
>remove them from the oil
>serve

Does this sound right?

Canola, you want to taste the food m8, & it's cheap

Yup.

Except, finish fries first, the fish will impart a "fishy" taste to the oil, heat your oven and spread them out on a baking sheet lined w aluminum foils to keep warm while you finish the fish.

Could this be a good thing to some people?

Use it often and eat a lot of wings.
Also I use lard in my deep fryer.
If you have a burrito that you like, from el Monterey or something similar, defrost it and deep fry it. Cheese sticks at home is great too.

And my favorite fried onions. Get a slicer, and slice onions very thin. Soak it in milk for two seconds and let the excess milk drain off, then dredge in flour. Deep fry those onion straws.then season. White onions, and a mandolin or deli slicer works best to get them thin enough.

make sure to toss the fries with salt as soon as you take them out, anything that needs salt do it while theyre still hot

learn to make a simple beer batter and for sweet stuff use pancake batter, i have done quite some experimenting, if the thing has something that will melt or is already cooked and you dont want it to over cook then pop it in the freezer a while before battering, so it just warms up, like say a candy bar or pic related, frozen white castle burgers

or a battered and fried caramel apple

also beer battered pickles or jalepenos are dank

tostinos party pizzas are actually good once battered and deep fried

dont forget to pick up some twinkies or something, maybe grab some insulin while your out!

also for the record I just use canola oil, Id use peanut but its over 3x the price here and I need all my money for chicken wings

you can also make bomb ass tendies now

chicken fried chicken livers and gizzards

bump for clogged arteries

I might do this just for the meme value.