Next time you cook rice, fry it in some butter before steaming it

next time you cook rice, fry it in some butter before steaming it

you're welcome

t. AliReza Ghassei

Idk why but I can never get the perfect texture while cooking rice. I use a 1:2 rice to water ratio in a normal pot. I might try reducing the water a bit.

>this

ive tried the 1:1+3/4 method too. what are we doing wrong lol

I use 2 cups jasmine rice and 2.75 cups water when I make rice, and I fry it beforehand if I have the time. Always comes out perfect. I've found that a 1:2 ratio is far too much water.

I'm a vegan

Ok.

I'm having difficulties to cook rice properly. It's always too fucking spongy or hard as fuck.

So?

I'd be happy to help, but alas that's impossible since you didn't provide any useful information.
-what kind of rice are you cooking?
-what procedures are you using? Be specific. Times, temps, everything. Details matter.

Basic long grain rice. Like Uncle Bens.

I wait until the water boils, put the temperature on medium (4-5), add the rice and wait around 10 minutes or so.

Always end up meh.

fry the rice before adding boiling water

>Basic long grain rice. Like Uncle Bens.
Uncle Ben's isnt basic long grain....it's parboiled which they call "converted brand." It's a different beast, much as Minute Rice is a different beast. If you specifically like parboiled rice for some reason like for one-pot dishes you don't wish to add starch (and really you shouldn't like parboiled), then you should follow the exact directions on the box, which you aren't, and use a pot that isn't too small or too large for the quantity you are making, with a tight-fitting lid

Normal rice, like normal long grain, takes 20 minutes to steam over the heat, and 10 more minutes before you lift the lid, for it to absorb the rest of the steam. I add the rice (a little salt, and if doing latin food a little olive oil) and water to the burner, bring to boil, once boiling, I stir by dragging a spoon once across the entire bottom, just to lift them off the bottom during that bring to boil process, and ensure the whole thing is the same temperature, then watch it come back to boil. Then, I cover and reduce to simmer-low lid on for 20 minutes. Set a timer. Depending on your burner type, turn off heat or remove from burner, and leave it alone 10 minutes.

I already stir butter into the water I cook rice in, why should I fry it instead?

When you fry the rice in butter chemical changes happen that turn the inside of the rice into a more croissant-like texture. (this is called velveting) This reaction doesn't occur with boiling, and you just end up with a residue on the outside of your grains.

texture

bring 3 cups of water, salt, and tbl olive oil to a boil, add 2 cups rice. reduce heat to low and cover. do not open the cover for at least 20 minutes. perfect rice.

Why does my rice keep fuming no matter what I do?

thank you mr pilaf man

>the joke
>your heads

What kind of rice needs a 1:2 water ratio? I use 1:1.5 for short grain and jasmine.

Have you tried soaking it in water for 30 mins first, then rinsing fully before you cook it?

Also you can spice it throughout by adding pepper sauce to the water you cook it in

RICE COOKER
R
I
C
E

C
O
O
K
E
R

Yep I usually let it sit in water for a bit before I cook them. I'm pretty sure I'm putting too much water in the pot.

Fry the uncooked grains you mean? Sounds kinda weird to me.

It's more like lightly toasting than frying. It's not any weirder than toasted oats.

Grow some brain cells, weeaboo.

what are you quoting?

But what if i use a rice cooker do i just fry the rice before putting it in the cooker?

That's what he is saying, yes.

Any idea on how much butter i should be using?

op here, this was the result. look at the separation between the grains!

just, like, a knob

the next time you cook...butter

you're welcome

Search for Maillard reaction

i put a little bit of garlic, chicken stock and Worcestershire sauce in

Follow amounts and directions on bag, put rice in boiling water, turn heat down to low, then move the pot lid so it's barely covering it. This will let steam escape, it won't boil over or over boil, and when all the water is gone you can turn off heat, stir a little, put lid back and let it sit for a few minutes to let it sit. I get perfectly fluffy white rice, only a couple burnt grains. My mom doesn't follow these instructions and fucks it up terribly. Her brown rice always comes out undercooked, and when my brother makes rice each grain tastes like tiny silicon gel packets. Follow my advice and you'll be making godtier rice in no time

Seriously. Mine was a 14 dollar econo-model that I got for free. It's been great. All my friends at work made fun of me for using it, "How hard is it to cook rice in a pot?".

Then that bitch went home and burner her god damn rice.

True story.