Hey, so I'm visiting a friend over in Portland...

Hey, so I'm visiting a friend over in Portland, and I'm looking for some good restaurants/bars to hit up while I'm there.

Anyone have any good recommendations?

I'm not looking for anything crazy expensive.

Other urls found in this thread:

sillys.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Big-Menu-4.16.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

wats up with that dude, he looks deformed

Why do so many people decide to dress up their kids like little faggots now?

so they get beat up in school and build character

Not deformed; just a hipster.

Because it's current year.

Which portland

Your friend doesn't have any recommendations? You have to come to Veeky Forums to get them? What kind of friend is this? Are you two basement dwellers shacking up for some anal and want some mickie D's or what? Your friend lives there, how do they not know any where to eat/go to? Would you not be better off asking them or did you just want to advertise you're in Portland and think you should feel special for it? I really don't understand this.

that baby looks like michael gove

My buddy has a few places that he wants to take me to, but I was just wondering if there are any cool spots that I shouldn't miss out on.

Silly is great both the bar and the restaurant.
Duck fat is award winning.
Nosh is great.
Domillos is good touristy fair.
Ben K has an award winning sushi chef
Rosens deli has great kosher food
The cookie jar has the best donuts in the state.
Wander around the old port and you'll find something good if you don't feel like finding parking. There's a ton more the towns got a lot of restaurants.

OP's pic is only slightly less creepy than those Anne Geddes babies

Cool, thanks man. I'll make a note of these

Wait, shit, I'm going to Portland, Oregon

I was hoping you wouldn't catch onto that until it was too late.

no socks is the most uncomfortable thing ever.

Allen Gregory?

When I was in Portland for business last year, I ended up eating at Pine State Biscuits for breakfast or lunch pretty often. Cheap and delicious, kind of got addicted to it.
But there's tons of good restaurants in Portland.

This is child abuse. Call the authorities.

Not OP but heading to Portland next week. Is Voodoo Donuts overrated? Some people swear they're the best. Also had someone recommend a place called Country Cat, it's like elevated American cuisine or some shit.

Voodoo is overrated. Try Blue Star Donuts. It's much better.

Portland is one of the shittier suburbs of Seattle. If you want good restaurants and bars you should drive into the city, Seattle.

>city in a different state is a suburb

Obviously, your Washington State Department of Education failed you.

That is a child?

we be smokin week errday cuz

I've never been there, but from what I've heard it's good but not worth waiting in the long ass lines that are usually out front.

Yes voodoo donuts is overrated. According to my friends who actually eat donuts, blue star is better.

As for OP's question:
My favorite place in portland is a Korean bbq place called Toji's somewhere on hawthorne, they have an all you can eat meat thing with an hour and a half time limit where the quality of the meat rises with price (20-50 I think, been a while)

An xuyen on 52nd and foster is also my favorite cheap place. $3 banh mi and nice baked goods.

If you want a good sushi place, my favorite closed down but Yoko's somewhere on Gladstone was pretty good.

Can't really think of anything else that stands out to me here, there's a ton of meme foodcarts people love.

A lot of my friends like pine state biscuits, I've never been there though.

I don't drink so I dunno about bars, there's a kava bar if you want to be hip.

Thanks, will seek blue star instead!

Parents who dress their kids like this need to be shot.

Because a lot of these parents are young first timers who grew up knowing nothing but Democrat """leadership""" so they think turning men into girls is not only okay, but the right thing to do.

Pok Pok if you can get a reservation.

I also really enjoyed Le Pigeon.

100% do not go to voodoo, it's for basics and you will be furious at the quality, especially after you wait an hour in line.

Blue Star is good. Salt and Straw is good ice cream but you need to know that people will hate you for going there.

My favorite sushi is Sushi Takahashi 2. There's fancier places but that guy has been doing sushi for fuckin decades.

Generally any place that you've heard of is going to be pretty good but have a huge wait and probably not as good as you'd expect the hype. I tend to stick to pubs (NEPO 42 has a great steak salad, Moon and Sixpence/Horse Brass have solid English pub food) and brew pubs. BTU has great beer and Chinese food. And it's right near Pho An Sandy, which is the best pho in the city.

Sandy food carts are great, as are the ones on 50ish just south of Division. Hawthorne carts are the OG east side carts and may not be around long - suggest finding a bar, shutting it down and heading to potato champion for poutine. Downton carts are fine, nothing mindblowing.

Higgins is a pretty decent 'farm to table' place downtown, I like their risotto.

This is correct. Get the PB&J donut.
Kim Jong Grill is a good Korean food truck.
Le Pigeon
Fuck it's been a year and I can't remember the names of the restaurants I went to.

Oh yeah check out Stammtisch for some German food and beer you are most likely not going to find anywhere else.

>Listens to sunbather once

The donuts themselves are actually good if a bit sweet to my taste, but they completely go overboard with the toppings and frosting. I get its their shtick and all but it's too much in my mind.

Yard House is good.

S H I
T T A
S T E

This.

>implying there's more than one Portland that matters

It's been a few years but Whiskey Soda Lounge across the street is just as good, but has a smaller menu.

I don't know if it still even exists but there was a great Peruvian restaurant called Andina downtown.

If all else fails, just walk around on 82nd street and you'll be sure to run into something.

OP here, thanks for all the feedback dudes. I'll use a less distracting image next time I start a thread.

>grow up poor only eating home cooked meals
>rich friend's parents are in town
>takes us and other friends out to eat at Andina's
>I had never been into such a nice and expensive restaurant before
>order cheapest meal
>pretend I don't drink so I'm not pressured into ordering overpriced alcohol
>don't want dessert but family encourages me to order it
>don't even know what any of them are, just order what my friend ordered
>have massive anxiety the entire time, don't know proper etiquette or anything

That was the first time I had creme brulee

I think the place still exists, this was 4 years ago though.

Yeah, I guess it was probably a little more upscale than what OP's looking for.

In situations like that the person taking you out most likely knows that you can't afford that kind of meal and assumes from the beginning that they're treating you and not expecting you to pay your share or anything. They just want to have a nice meal with you and not have it be awkward, so just say thanks at the end and say that was an amazing meal and one of the best you've had in your life.

People with money don't really care about treating a friend or family member to a nice meal; they just want to spend time with you.

Oh I knew they were treating me and I thanked them a lot, but I couldn't help but to be extremely anxious the entire time.

Yeah, that's understandable. Just know that from their perspective they're not expecting anything in return other than to share your company and for everyone to have a nice time.

It's really not that uncommon for people to not eat out.

I'd feel sad to live in PDX and not eat out at least occasionally. It's easily one of the top 5 food cities in the country.

Are there any particularly outstanding food carts that I should keep an eye out for?

There are probably as many new food carts popping up every day as there are websites/blogs of people reviewing them. I'd honestly just use Google for that.

If you're downtown I like Tabor's Schnizlewiches and Nong's Khao Man Gai.

Because that's what normal people dress like now, you're just stuck in some kind of weird midwestern time warp where people dress like in this picture and the new avocado meme hasn't taken upscale fast food restaurants like Subway by storm yet

Make sure to rant about being culturally intimidated by "sandwich artists" next, cleetus

I would punch this lil faggot

I like Kim Jong Grillin
Potato champion if you want fries I guess, people seem to really like it.
I hear PBJs grilled is good but haven't gone
Heard good things about Nong's as well.

This little cunt triggers me so much, I just want to throw him in front of the train, and its his parents fault

can we please put all flyovers in camps

>know nothing but Democratic leadership
>only been a Democrat in the white house for 8 years

So all these 8 year olds are dressing their kids up like hipsters?

no punch whoever dressed the poor kid

thewifesson.jpg

What is Chicago, St Louis, Kansas City

>first timers
Yeah when I have kids for the first time I'll make sure to have some experience as a teen parent first like those down to earth Real American republicans

Huh?

Portland maine fell behind post ww2 but it's catching up quickly. Out of states are buying investment properties and almost no natives can afford to live there. Plus food, hipsters, etc.

Why does Veeky Forums accuse everyone they don't like of being flyover?

>accuse
You think we can't tell, but we can

I'm fine with being """flyover""" tbqh.

flyover is the perfect Veeky Forums "insult" because it:
-refers to a majority of the posters
-it's an incorrect assumption about taste
-it's elitism
-it's somewhat obscure/hard to define

so it confuses, angers, and forces people to respond, flooding the board with yet more stupid bullshit

I wanna stomp that fucking toddler into a bloody pulp.

Born and raised in flyover country. It's not nebulous at all, and there is a distinct lack of culture and identity. It wasn't always this way, but sadly dumbass hillbillies have forgotten almost every bit of their roots and never bothered to try to progress.
You got the elitism part right though. You should see how people react when they hear where I'm from.

You have to get through me first kiddo

>It's not nebulous at all
Its very nebulous. Often it just means the Midwest, sometimes it also refers to its cultural opposite the south too, it often also includes the sparsely populated plains and west, and even most coastal cities that are not LA/New York
Its all over the place

>You got the elitism part right though. You should see how people react when they hear where I'm from.
Is it much worse than hillbillies telling third generation Americans to "go home"?

At least coastie elitism is justified

It's all of those places. No one important has ever flown to Wisconsin, Atlanta, Tulsa, or any state with a cardinal direction in the name to do business. No one's ever vacationed in Idaho. No one has ever accused Nebraska of being a tourist trap.
I hate to admit it, but you're right. I wonder why it turned out this way.

I hope that kid gets hit by the train. Parents as well.

lol, who do you consider important? None of us matter at all. Also, just because you haven't been to these places doesn't make them or the people that live there similar to each other, the south, midwest, the plains and the west are all very distinct from each other culturally. Sounds like you are specifically describing Kentucky or something

I've visited almost all of the congruent continental states, only missing a few tiny-ass East Coast states. The only flyovers that stand out are ironically the most barren - Arizona, Wyoming, New Mexico. Kentucky is actually one of the best if you like baseball, horse racing, and BBQ.
It doesn't matter that the regions are diverse, they're still culturally worthless for the most part. At least we have BBQ though.

>Kentucky is actually one of the best if you like baseball
So long as you don't like having an actual team
>horse racing
lol, who gives a fuck?
>and BBQ
How is the BBQ in Kentucky any better than anywhere else
>hey're still culturally worthless for the most part.
No one anywhere has any cultural worth, what a ridiculous bullshit metric to try and assign a place, we are all just fucking sacks of chemicals walking around

>no one has ever flown to Atlanta to do business
This is how I know you're an idiot or baiting

>congruent
I don't think that word thinks what you think it means

Huh?

He was looking for the word 'contiguous'

Not him, but I have, and it's flyover land with a strange, erroneous belief in its own relevance

Anyone who's left their village knows exactly what "flyover" means.

>I want to punch this kid
>I want to punch this kid's parents

Holy shit Veeky Forums

Yeah, exactly. It means you don't live on the east or west coast.

Mainefag here - is Silly's actually fucking good? My friends have said it wasn't bad but the entire menu is in comic sans and their website sounds like something out of Kitchen Nightmares

sillys.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Big-Menu-4.16.pdf

If you want something simple, just go to Tebow's, it's pretty down south of portland and it's ok food. The style of serving is very unique to this area.

Pine st. Biscuits for the obvious and their chicken pot pie
Salt and straw for good meme ice cream
Blue star donuts (voodoo is memeshit)
Ichidai is excellent japanese
Taste tickler makes a good pepper steak sandwich
Bollywood theatre on division st has a great pork vindaloo, and if you walk a block east theres a great bottle shop where you can drink a variety of portland beers

Is it? I've been here 4 years and only go to Round Table. Then again I'm in the suburbs and never eat downtown.

What's considered the suburbs in Portland?

There's downtown, but then there's all 4 quadrants (e.g. Milwaukie, Lake Oswego, and pretty much everything West of 82nd are mostly suburbs, but I'd still consider them Portland proper). When I think suburbs I think Beaverton, which is completely different.

Beaverton, Tualatin, LO, Tigard, Hillsboro, at least imo. I don't know what's on the east side, Gresham I guess, I never go over there.

Is Colorado flyover country?

Well if they were 10 when Obama was elected they weren't following politics at the time so their earliest memories of a president when they came of age and learned about government in their teens would've been a Democrat. I was born in 83 and can't remember a damn thing about any president before Clinton.

>third generation
>American

>>>/leftypol/

>
>
>
>
>
>being culturally intimidated by a toddler
This is even funnier than people getting culturally intimidated by a chain coffee shop

this lil nigga's gonna hate his parents so much as a teenager

He'll probably rebel against them by being fat, poorly dressed, racist, and dumb °~°

You just described yourself except for the raycis part.