Qtddtot

How do I make a bernaise sauce that isn't shit? All my life I've only tried the shit tier storebought stuff, but I've heard tell that a properly made one is on another level

Other urls found in this thread:

epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/bearnaise-sauce-395049
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

start by making mayonaise by hand. learn to emulsify foods because thats what you need to do to make a good bernaise

Is emulsifyimg the thing you do with a hand blender when making mayo?

The reason you'll notice a huge difference in homemade and packaged bearnaise is that fresh herbs like tarragon don't preserve well. Fresh will indeed be unbelievably better.

Blender Bearnaise (as well as Hollandaise) is the method you should do as a newbie.
epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/bearnaise-sauce-395049
Try using very fresh eggs, and irish butter. Don't get any color on the shallots when sweating them. Tarragon is universal, but you'll see some recipes use chervil too, but it's harder to find if you don't have a plant. Some recipes use wine reductions as well as wine vinegar.

What's the method for non-newbies?
It might seem arrogant and foolish, but I just feel immensely better about it if I don't do a dumbed down version. Not saying this is a dumbed down version though

Guys, I have some thin cuts of lean meat here, similar to pic related.

What can I make with them that also uses tomato?

I'd prefer something I could make on a pan to something I need to put in the oven, btw.

now traditionally, you start off with brunoise (2mm dice) of shallots - 1 shallot will do -, about 2 teaspoons of finely chopped fresh tarragon leaves and some white wine vinegar. lightly sweat the shallots on a knob of butter until soft but not coloured. Then add the vinegar (2 tablesppons for starters) and tarragon and slowly reduce until thick. Set this aside and let cool down to room temperature. Meanwhile, gently melt a pack of butter (250 g) and put 3 egg yolks in a metal bowl. Get a saucepan of a similar diameter as the bowl with around 2 cm water, and bring to a simmer. Add a teaspoon of vinegar into your yolks, and start whisking vigorously. For most volume, heat the yolks over your water bath (the simmering pot of water) to blood temperature, and whisk until a thick foam forms. Now return the bowl on top of your waterbath and continue whisking until they thicken to a ribbon stage - draw an 8 with your whisk in the yolks and the shape will remain for a few seconds. Be very careful not to overcook the yolks, they have a tendency to scramble very easily. When you reach the desired thickness, remove the bowl from the heat, place on a loop made from a kitchen cloth to prevent sliding, and continue whisking with one hand and adding the lukewarm melted butter in a slow stream with the other hand. Important thing here is that your sabayon (cooked yolks) and butter are approx. at the same temperature. Should the mixture become too thick, whisk your melted butter a bit to get the milk from the bottom to mix with the butter, this should prevent your bearnaise from splitting too early. After adding the butter, mix in your vinegar/shallot/tarragon mix, then add another teaspoon of freshly chopped tarragon and a god pinch of salt. Taste and adjust, I like my bearnaise with a good kick so I usually add more vinegar.

Few things to watch out for - make sure the simmering water is not touching the bottom of the bowl, this would overcook the yolks almost instantly. Also, bearnaise (just like any hollandaise derivates) mustn't get too cold or too hot - it would split. In case it does split, there are a few ways to re-emulsify it. One of them is adding a teaspoon of cold water, and starting from the spot you poured the water in, you mix it slowly with a toothpick. It should start emulsifying at that place, once enough bearnaise get s emulsified, you can whisk it all together. Another methond is getting another egg yolk with a bit of vinegar, and cooking it to sabayon as in the normal method, and feeding the split bearnaise slowly

Ty bae, I'll eventually try my hands at this

Does blood temperature mean 38 degrees?

yeah, but you don't need a thermometer, just stick your little finger in there and if it feels the same temp, you're good

yes

Only if you have the flu.

I made some jam a month ago and I'm terrified to eat it because I'm afraid I might have fucked up somewhere and give myself botulism.

The jars were cleaned, put into the oven at 350 for ten minutes and left in the oven at 200 until I needed them. They were processed for ten minutes, and I think I even left them in for another five after turning the stove off. They popped and were left out for 12 hours before I took the bands off. All the lids are still flat. It's sweet cherry jam if that matters. All the things I read on botulism specifically mention home canned vegetables.

And does i matter if I missed some air bubbles in some of them?

nobody here is going to give you advice on whether or not you might have botulism in your shit. botulism is life and death.

if you have a .0001% doubt throw them away. would kill you to eat it.

wrong thread? you should be ok, jams last for years when properly sterilised, and since none of yours popped, they should be good

Except they did.
>They popped and were left out for 12 hours before I took the bands off

>wrong thread?
Do you know what qtddtot means?

damn, I'm retarded, haven't noticed the thread title, sorry.

try re-sterilising them, also did you use any citric acid in the jam?

I know it will. Sucks.

I was more wondering about if the procedure seemed correct. Apparently the lids can become unsealed and reseal themselves if you leave the bands on and by then the bacteria would have already had a chance to grow. Some places say to take the bands off when they hit room temp which is apparently about 12 hours. Some said 8 hours. I made the mistake of doing this at night and didn't get to them in time to check after 8 hours. I guess that's where my anxiety about it is taking over.

I said popped. I meant that popping sound they make when you pull them out of the bath and they seal. Not like the lids popped up. They're all still down.

I think I'm being overly anxious, but I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of them. I just hate wasting shit.

so they sterilised properly then, your jars are airtight, the jam got hotter than 85 degrees celisus for longer than 5 mins, nothing to worry about.

What is some stuff you must have in a kitchen?

Literally everything you must have, starting from nothing.

a knife is essential

>The reason you'll notice a huge difference in homemade and packaged bearnaise is that fresh herbs like tarragon don't preserve well. Fresh will indeed be unbelievably better.

This.
Freshly made Bearnaise will always be superior because of the herbal flavors. Not only that, but if you make it yourself, then you don't have that odd flavor that the additive emulsifiers and preservatives give the packaged stuff.

Get a good French cookbook, or just look up Escoffier, Madame Toulouse-Latrec, Juila Child, or Jaques Pepin's recipes.

Why not start your own thread? Season & bread them, slice on bias and swish in soup to cook, make sandwiches...

Quality post m8, +1. Stick around. A

>qtddtot

I made some teriyaki chicken + noodles with just stuff I had in my cabinet, so I used linguini.

Bretty gud but if I make it again I want to figure out how to make it so the noodles aren't sticky and dry after leaving the pan. I know the recipe for teriyaki chicken but I kinda winged it on the noodles, basically just boiled em and threw em in the wok.

also what veggies can I throw in? I used just green onion as garnish this time

Have 50 dollars for Macy's what should I get

I'm thinking about making Cheese Fondue, but I don't know what cheeses I should use. Could anyone recommend which cheeses would work best?

This question certainly deserves its own thread

I got some OJ that has a "best by" date of about a month ago. Would it be safe to make screwdrivers with it?

When dealing with pastas, after draining you want to get them into a sauce as soon as possible. The longer they sit, the longer they gum up and stick together. Try adding some broccoli.

Is it 100% OJ? It is probably no good, but the best way to tell is just to smell and taste it. If it is an unopened bottle I suppose there's a chance it's still good.

How do I make a dish that will wow a boy?

throw it out, it's probably old by now

Can I grill raw Tenderstem Broccoli?

Start with having a vagina

When I make a savory pancake like okonomiyaki or pajeon, I can never get the inside to not be gummy. I've followed various recipes and methods - low and slow/hot and fast, lid on/off, and I can't get the perfect combination of a fully cooked interior with a crispy exterior. They're never very thick either. Any tips for a retard?

yee, just be careful it doesn't fall through the grill. If it become an issue, just put it on a tinfoil bed.

Thank you m8. Doing it now!

Is this donkey kong's fridge?

Chicken fingers and grilled cheese. Boys love them.

This image made me really nauseous. I used to live in an apartment with a lot of banana eaters, so we used to buy like 7 bunches every 2 weeks. Only problem was that the bananas we bought (Costco) ripened super quick and would only be good for like 8-9 days. One time we ended up buying extra for some reason, and nobody was eating them, so me and one other guy ended up eating 5-6 bananas a day just so they didn't go to waste. I should have just peeled and frozenT them in retrospect.

Now any time I see a ton overly ripe bananas I get triggered.

Frozen bananas, blended with honey or nutella is god-tier ice-cream.

Where is good to eat in Dublin?

its pretty much a hollandaise, substituting cooked down vinegar/wine/herbs for the lemon.

All sauces which you can do with an immersionblender are incredibly easy and quick once you know how to do it.
you can check the seriouseats recipe for a basic guideline, then adjust in the future

Kids and manchildren like bento

serve a nice big bowl of pussy

>Serious eats
sorry, I wouldn't touch a website with such a toxic, masculine name with a ten-foot pole.

I left some ground pork in the freezer since January. Some places say 6 months it will last, so it's been 7. It looks good, maybe a little off colour. should I cook it up or toss.

Is it okay to chill red wine? Like, not just cold but to a semi slush state. Summer is hot and I don't want to drink room temperature wine.

sorry hun, ill put a trigger warning down next time ill write that name out

seriously though, it's such a pandering, lowest common denominator name. what's next, EXTREME eats? it's just food.

No, its not okay. Drink something else if you want ice cold.

To pan sear chicken breast i use olive oil yes

Wine originally was stored at the temp of the cellar.
In Europe.
In winter.
It would probably be the same temp as out side.
Just freeze some grapes and drop'em in your wine like ice cubes.
Tl;Dr do whatever the fuck you want.