Is it ok to eat butter?

Is it ok to put butter on vegetables? I'm trying to be healthy but eating vegetables withou butter is awfull. Any advice for making vegetables taste good without butter?

It's fine. Eat whatever you want.

health is relative.
if you wanna be as healthy as possible, butter is not ideal.

depends on how much and what butter u use. if you wanted to be healthier smart balance light is a good brand

If you'd stop grazing like a fucking cow and allow yourself to actually become hungry between meals, you'd find lots of things taste good withour butter.

For steamed, I think a squeeze of lemon, sea salt and a grind of black pepper, adds the zip I want. I sometimes steam with slivers of red onion too.
Try frying garlic in butter, and then tossing with the cooked green beans.
Or roll in a touch of olive oil and herbs, and broil or bake until sweet and caramelized.

Try not relying on an abundance of butter for the right amount of acid, salt and other seasoning. Things need to be cooked well too.

Eat them with Olive oil.

Try pepper. Or, if you feel like getting a little crazy you could sprinkle a bit of salt on them.

yes in moderation. margarine is shit

Think of it like this: butter is a fat, with a fair bit of saturated fat in it. If you enjoy using butter you may want to watch your intake of other (particularly saturated) fats. Do that and it's no big deal.

Alternately there are very few veggies that do not taste good cooked in olive oil;, garlic and a pinch of salt. You might want to try that just to mix things up.

forget butter, drizzle alittle olive oil, its good for you too

>butter is unhealthy
>saturated fat is unhealthy

it's 2016 you fuckin twats

It is about a hundred times healthier to put sugar on vegetables than to put oil or butter. Putting sugar on vegetables essentially turns them into fruits, whereas putting butter turns them into heart attacks.

>Putting sugar on vegetables essentially turns them into fruits

Lol for two reasons:
1) that would take a fuckload of sugar
2) fruits aren't exactly healthy broseph, the amount of sugar contained is ridiculous.

Butter is not inherently unhealthy. The small amount one would add to vegetables is negligible from a calorie perspective, and it actually helps from a nutritional perspective since many of the vitamins found in vegetables are fat soluble rather than water-soluble.

i'm of the school of thought that butter is perfectly fine...
just make sure to skip the breads

this

Sugar is not unhealthy.
Butter is inherently unhealthy because it's very high in saturated fat.
The "small amount" of one tablespoon of butter contains 100 calories and 7g of saturated fat, which is about 50% of the upper limit.
Whereas butter has direct negative effects on health, sugar is just empty calories. Of course whole foods are preferable, but sugar is one way to make vegetables tasty without harming your health in the process.

Yeah but I mostly eat butter with fruit

I use gravy to eat my veggies.

If you put a half-stick on the veggies, sure.

guys this so much
pls open your eyes
fats are imperative for reducing gi of foods. not to mention, the claim that they are bad has found to be kinda stupid claim

Fat is very important part of your diet.

As long as you don't overdue it, you will be fine. I throw half a tablespoon into my veggies with salt and pepper, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Don't listen to this idiot.

>Sugar is not unhealthy.
>Butter is inherently unhealthy because it's very high in saturated fat.

Good goy.

No. It is Haram.

i eat butter with flax oil, is it better?

The primary advocates of the notion that sugar is unhealthy are Jews. I've pointed this out before though. The trifecta of sugar idiocy is Ludwig, Lustig, Taubes - these people are Jews. So it makes no sense to call me a good goy when you're just regurgitating something you heard from a Jew on YouTube. Sugar is not unhealthy.

The proud Aryan man Walter Kempner is known for successfully treating people with T2D and failing kidneys on a diet that's half rice and half sugar, both refined and from fruits. If you put people on very high carb diets including sugar and excluding animal products, diabetes and other chronic diseases induced by diet disappear quite quickly.

>The "small amount" of one tablespoon of butter

Yeah, and that's enough for several servings of veggies.

I fail to see the problem here.

Just eat in moderation and don't sit on your ass all day. Easiest way to lose weight. You can eat whatever the hell you want as long as you are rating 2 and a half servings every meal.

Butter isn't inherently bad. Just don't overdo it

Whoa jewish sugar conspiracy confirmed.

I'll buy your water filters, Alex Jones.

Salt and pepper often does the trick, but a bit of garlic or lemon juice can help too. Cutting out butter is a consideration if you're trying lose weight, since it is very calorie dense. If your weight isn't a concern, then have as much butter as you want.

Sugar is unhealthy. The limit for sugar is >5% of total daily calorie intake. Stop making shit up.

Sugar is unhealthy. The limit for sugar is

I use duck fat or olive oil for my veggies. You do need fats in your diet for pooping and hormone regulation. As long as you aren't going over your calories and getting enough protein in, your good.

MSG and salt

>If you put people on very high carb diets including sugar and excluding animal products, diabetes and other chronic diseases induced by diet disappear quite quickly.

Kempner never did a comparator study with another diet. With such a low standard for evidence you can irrationally justify any diet paradigm you want, unless Occam's razor is employed and the realization is made that all those outcomes can be attributed to calorie restriction / weight loss.

>For steamed, I think a squeeze of lemon, sea salt and a grind of black pepper, adds the zip I want.
this, i usually just put vinegar and salt on my steamed veg.

it's okay to use butter or oil for roasting or sauteing though. and it depends on what else you're eating. if you're eating lean chicken and rice, you'll probably want a bit of fat in there so it's okay to put it on the veg.

but, if you're eating pork ribs with french fries, it's already a lot of fat so you should probably skip the butter.

remember that butter isn't inherently healthy or unhealthy, the problem is over consumption of fat in general. balance, grasshopper.

This. I literally eat whole wheat toast straight from the toaster now. I find the taste to be... More robust than what I perceived before. Condiments are for people who don't like food.

>Condiments are for people who don't like food.
that's a pretty silly statement. condiments ARE food and they can enhance almost anything when used properly. there's a difference between using a small amount of mustard to enhance pork and drowning your eggs in ketchup.

>there's a difference between using a small amount of mustard to enhance pork and drowning your eggs in ketchup.
True, but it is a slippery slope, especially in the English speaking world where there's a long tradition among the lower classes of using condiments to add flavor to bland, cheap, poorly cooked food.

>English speaking world

Lol, you haven't been to India, China, South America have you? Adding condiments to improve the flavor of cheap-ass food isn't limited to the English speaking world. It's everywhere.

I'm not saying it isn't prevalent elsewhere. I'm just saying the presence of a bottled condiment at the table is a pretty clear class "tell" in the English speaking world.

My point is that it's a pretty clear class "tell" in any world.

i.e. you go to China and eat with some poor peasant. There will indeed be a bottle of sauce on the table. Go to China and eat with a high-class family: there won't be any commercial condiments on the table at all.

In some cultures specific condiments do make it to the upper class table. Wealthy Indians do not turn their backs on chutney. The French will not frown on a little Dijon mustard served with the charcuterie plate, or a little mayo served with a simple meal of poached cod and vegetables. Or a little harissa with your couscous.

But I agree with you in general - enthusiastic condiment use is almost always a lower class tell.

>Wealthy Indians do not turn their backs on chutney

Nope, but they will make it themselves (or more accurately, the Chef that works for them will make it), rather than having a store-bought brand on the table.

>> The French will not frown on a little Dijon mustard served with the charcuterie plate....

Again, that won't be a bottle of French's on the table, it will be a small amount of mustard that was probably ground & prepared moments before it was served.

It's not so much the use of condiments in general that's a tell. It's the use of mass-market bottled condiments. As we seem to agree, even high end cuisine uses condiments in its preparation--but those aren't bottles from the dollar store, they're things freshly prepared from scratch.

Americans, everyone

The vast majority of people don't get to choose their "class". Stop talking like it's anything to brag about.

Nobody said it was anything to brag about user, just that one can distinguish different classes based on that detail. It wasn't an insult, it was an observation. A statement of fact.

I wasn't being pejorative about it. Truth be told the best food is usually at the top and bottom - poor people figuring out how to make garbage delicious and rich people buying the best of everything. It's in the middle where the food is more of a dice roll, because that's where food fads and phobias take priority over taste. Which is why the hole in the wall taqueria will always serve tastier food than Chipotle. So will the ridiculously expensive high end Mexican place. But your local margarita mill will still be a let down.

>mass-market bottled condiments
Mass market anything is a low sign.

Stir fried veg in any kind of stir fry sauce or just in soy is delicious

butter is gross. stop

On my first week as a diet tech, I had JUST learned that people put butter on their vegetables, put butter in oatmeal, put butter in mashed potatoes (seriously Americans, there's more than one flavor in the world), put sugar in cereal, eat ice cream with their fruit, cannot eat finger food without some form of condiment, and unironically like American cheese.

Just saute with some light olive oil and garlic and you're good

Extra virgin olive oil.

Are you one of those guys that used to advertise coca cola that it was not unhealthy and sugar doesn't make you fat?

This is why in America they should add food education and make it mandatory.

Fruits (and vegetables) have fibers that help you feeling more full and help your body, same for the vitamins, sugar is just a refined product and that's it.

>extra virgin
>cooking
Come on

It's better to lose a percentage of flavor when they break down with the heat than to have started with none to begin with. Smoke point is something to be monitored, but doesn't need a religious adherence when using in different applications.

Alton Brown a shit.

olive oil

Your body needs fat. So go ahead, use a little butter on your veggies

Also use salt, peppar, nutmeg and such.

Uhhhh no - it's not just that it breaks down flavors. It also introduces new foul ones once the smoke point is hit and the oil chemically changes.

Tell that to the restaurant chefs who swear by searing in EVOO.

kill yourself

>Tell that to the restaurant chefs who swear by searing in EVOO.
Sure, name some of them.

Geoffrey Zakarian

"Is it ok to eat butter?"

YOU KNOW WHAT FIND A DIFFERENT BOARD YOU FUCK.

OP I have managed to ween myself off of real butter completly by replacing it with this stuff. Its vegan but tastes so much like butter you cant tell the difference. Not sure if its much healthier in essence,but if you're looking to at least cut out the real thing,try one of these. Maybe eventually you'll get to a point where you wont use anything like that at all. But thats up to you. I think in the long run its not particularly unhealthy per se. Depends on your diet as a whole.

Why did the thread continue after this post of wisdom?

>Not sure if its much healthier in essence

Then what is your motivation for switching?

I've been attempting to switch to a mostly vegan diet. Dairy has been one of the hardest things for me to cut out so its a slow process.

I find that if you take a shot of good quality EV olive oil when you get a dairy craving, it really helps.

But if you are unconvinced of the health benefit of the switch, why do it? Just because? Or is it an animal rights concern for you?

Not OP, but vegans don't get buttcancer, for a start.

That's a pretty good reason.

Will try this,thanks.

I cant answer this properly in all honesty. I do love animals but its not about that. I've tried a lot of different diets and I do think veganism could be potentially healthier and also help me maintain a more decent body weight along with proper exercise obviously. But like I said im still in the first stages,so I do not know how its going to go yet and cannot speak for other people. Cutting out meat almost entirely wasnt hard for me. And im not sure if i will ever actually be a vegan. But I dont mind switching some stuff out for vegan products of it helps with what i want to accomplish.

>That's a pretty good reason.

Not really. We know the specific risk factors for that, and they don't appear in butter. They appear in cured meats containing nitrites. (i.e. cheap bacon, salami, pepperoni, etc. made industrially rather than in the traditional manner)

exactly. vegans don't get buttcancer.

there's no such thing as a vegan who eats butter. If they eat butter, they're not a vegan.

American cheese is the best cheese for burgers.

it's really not good for you but there are worse things you could be eating. try cutting down and just adding more salt if it appeals to you.

Butter >>>>>> any """"healthy"""" margarine

I like extra virgin olive oil on vegetables better tho

Its better to eat vegetables with some fat, othewise you won't ingest vitamins soluble in fat (A, D, E, K)

If you want to eat more healthy try cut down sugar

I find EVOO rather overpowers the flavour of more delicate vegetables such as your cauliflowers and your romanesco

there is nothing wrong with cooking with butter, it's a funny concept called moderation, I suggest you try it sometime.

>"original"

cringe, enjoy your cancer in 20 years kek

This. Anyways, get a real butter, something like Kerrys Gold grass fed irish butter if you're worried or mix it half each of evoo and butter.
You need to eat some fats, and some types are better than others. It's not healthier to put sugar on vegetables, it'll be downright moronic actually.
1tbsp would be enough for several servings, 50% upper limit, that's a lot of butter to consume in one sitting. You're not making any logical sense.
They're covering up the rot and off taste of meats in some of these countries, China though has a culture of selling things still alive.
Probably not worth the price and its palm oil and regular shit tier olive oil in the ingredients, wouldn't be surprised if a grass fed butter is healthier.
This. Considering it has a few fillers and shit tier oils.
Put less then, problem solved.

Olive oil, vinegar, salt, lemon juice

Why do you say butter is """"healthier"""" than margarine?