Do you believe glassware makes much of a difference when drinking beer?

Do you believe glassware makes much of a difference when drinking beer?

I have a collection just because I like keeping merch from all the breweries I've visited, but aside from a snifter or a rounded pint glass I don't feel there's much of a difference between the minute differences in other glass styles.

I notice differences, mostly in head retention and carbonation. Drinking a lambic from my 1l stein is a lot different than in my Sam Adams glass or in a oversized snifter.

All that really matters is that you can pour into the glass correctly and easily so that you can avoid a large head.

I drink mostly sours, so that's rarely an issue.

no

I think pouring it out of the bottle is what matters

There's a bar in town that sells all their shitty homebrew in snifters so they can charge you twice as much for less beer.

I've noticed my beer tends to go flat and tasteless when I drink it out of a wide open water glass I've got.

But other than drinking from something rounded in like a snifter I don't think it makes much difference, or at least not enough of a difference to buy a whole set of slightly different glasses.

Yes, definitely

Not as much as your pour and preference.

I like no-head in a tankard, for everything. So I can chug it all down and get the most liquid possible.

It can make a difference. But it depends if you have a "clean" palate that isn't overtly greasy/garlicky etc.

ALso it depends on if you can pour it right.

I would say someone who is not good at finding tastes and know where they come from in beer will most probably not find any real difference.

People who aren't exceptional at finding little differences in obscure beer styles only need a Tankard för light/low abv/lager beers. Also a tulip for belgian/aromatic beers.

That's it in my opinion. I have brewed beer for almost 10 years and made most beer styles. So I can find the little differences in taste and attribute them to right ingredients/process.

Glass is for pouring. So you don't need to do it at a special pace to avoid a huge head or lose it all together.

It affects the experience, but not directly the taste obviously.

Like you could drink coffee out of a narrow, tall glass. But you want something that won't allow you to pour too much, will protect you from heat and allow you to sip and slow down the process of drinking it so you can enjoy it. In the other side, iced coffee isn't good in a cup. But they don't taste differently in different receptacles, but the receptacle affects the experience.

>
>I drink mostly sours, so that's rarely an issue.
Found the dirty hipster

I took a biostatistics class where the prof showed us an experiment which demonstrated that women tend to drink beer at a faster rate if it's offered to them in a curved glass rather than a straight one. Aside from that, there's no evidence to prove that one type of glass is more significant than another.

>stop liking what I don't like
You have to be 18+ to post here.

Yeah, I have many different glasses and do notice the differences. They are never make-or-break differences though.

Generally these are the most noticeable things:
- any glass that requires putting your nose into the glass will get you to smell the beer more. It will probably be more enjoyable
-thin glasses keep carbonation longer
-stemmed glasses provide a nice place to grip without warming the beer

I use a kind of spherical stemmed glass as a go-to for most beers and usually an average shaped pint glass for easy drinking beers like lagers.

i always drink my beers either from bottle or cans
why is pouring it out so special? is it a taste difference? and if so what makes it taste different?

The drinking sensation is different. Just try it yourself and see if it its worth the effort

If I were to pour beer STRAIGHT DOWN into a glass, creating tons of head, would it eventually settle into the full contents? Like if I had a 12 oz bottle, and made too much head, would it eventually settle into 12 oz of pure liquid beer?

Like said, the main reason is that with the glass you get to smell the beverage. As with food, the smell is as much of the experience as the taste. Also beer is a very aesthetic drink, you don't get to appreciate that when drinking from a bottle/can.

No, you'd only end up with 9oz for asking such a stupid question.

So what kind of glassware would make a pale ale not taste like ass? Because I'm drinking one out of the closest thing I own to a sniffer (whiskey glass), and it's still the worst part of every variety pack I have ever bought.