/rum general/

Don't see rum mentioned here often.

Though I am completely brand new to rum, as pic related is the first I've ever tried. Basically tasted like a bourbon, but a crap ton sweeter from the maple taste.

What are some of your favorites to drink neat?
What kind of rum mixed drinks do you guys like?
Is rum a drink for the weaker man?

Rum.

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=yay
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What is your opinion about Angostura rums guise?

Rum is for pirates.

best rum mixed drink is a dark and stormy

Rum is like vodka imo, hard to fuck up.

Rum can be fantastic just like other spirits aged in wood. And unlike Scotch and Cognac, you can buy quality stuff for less than $60 (as with bourbon), and you can get solid rum for under $20.

Haven't had many great rums, but some really good ones in the $25-$35 range are:

>Appleton Estate 12/15 year old
>Diplomatico Reserva Rum
>Barbancourt 8 year old (the 4 year old is very good too for a few dollars cheaper)

All of these were plenty good enough to drink straight and made great dark and stormies and mojitos. Lots of nice vanilla and oak going on in the AE and DRM. The sweetness, especially of the DRM, goes really well with the oak and wood flavors, and you don't get that sweetness in other spirits of course.

For solid mixers around $20 and under:

>Flora de Cana
>Gosling's
>Gosling's Black Seal (dark rum--fantastic)
>Appleton

and plenty of others. Cruzan's also a solid mixer (never had the black strap). The only rums I haven't enjoyed are Cpt Morgan and Myer's Dark Rum. Cpt tastes very chemically, very artificial, and Myer's is just way too strong, like it's been "overcooked." You should try both though, since they're part of the rum world.

Gosling's Black is a must try if you liked Cruzan's black, as it's the gold standard of dark rum.

Not a big fan of Cruzan personally. If you want a good cheap rum, I'd recommend Castillo spiced rum (not Gold). Failing that, there's Sailor Jerry's, but it's gotten too expensive for something that's supposed to be a knock off of Captain Morgan. If you want to get experimental, Kraken isn't too bad, but dark rum is not for everyone. When I lived in Jamaica, I drank a lot of Appleton, but I consider it overpriced for a frequent purchase in the states and their lower-end products aren't that great. Their 12-year Reserve rum is excellent, though.

Diss me if you want, but I appreciate a simple rum and coke, half rum half coke, lime or lemon optional.

>drinking anything except barbados rum

plebs

Get yourself some smith and cross

Captain Morgan light rum is the objectively best rum.

cruzan black is dope. like a molasses bomb.

otherwise you got myers dark or goslings black seal for darkies.

you want good white rum, bacardi is fine. or you wanna get fancy and pay more, got your flor de cana, havana club, brugal, appleton, mt gay. all good options

aged? shiiit, you got appleton, diplomatico, flor de cana, brugal, el dorado, pampero, plantation, cruzan single barrel, pussers

i just went shopping and picked up
>2x pusser's blue label
>1x plantation dark
>1x goslings black seal
>2x cruzan white
>1x flor de cana 4yr

Who /cheap rum best rum/ here

>he buys bottom shelf shit
Eww.

The Zacapas are all tasty, though only worth the price when you are not into doing some experimentation. there are a lot of rums in the 25 to 45€ range that are equally as qualitative.

Just got 1.75L of Cruzan White Rum so I can have mojitos and daiquiris for the rest of the summer.

This

Sweet vanilla bombs. I preferred the Angostura + Caroni blend that Plantation used to market, but they've run out of the old Caroni stock so they're using jamaican now. Damn shame. Angostura's rums are decent for cocktails that have a good sour and bitter element.

That stuff is pretty good in mixed drinks

What's a good rum that's

maple syrup and rubbing acohol

So they're mainly good as a mixer, but not a sipper?

Which rum has the most distinguished taste of vanilla bean

I don't really like to sip them, for sipping I tend to go more toward old spanish style rums (dryer end of the rum spectrum) or demerara rums (also sweet, but heavier and funkier in a way more typical of the english style). Don't let me turn you off of though, if you like caramel candy and baking spices, you'll be drinking Angostura 7 by the bucket, and you should always taste your mixing spirits straight at least once so you know what you're working with.

Tanduay 5 year dark
Arthur Alleyne's Special Barbados Rum
Ron Carlos Dry Dark
Doorly's Macaw White
Ron Hispaniola

See
Also try shellback silver, but im pretty sure that stuff gets its flavor from a lot of extract and some sugar. Tastes and smells like cotton candy to me.

>Basically tasted like a bourbon, but a crap ton sweeter from the maple taste.
Blackstrap refers to the molasses, which is a sugar refining err almost byproduct. I like the dark burnt sugar flavor, but I wouldn't call it maple. It's the major flavoring ingredient in ginger bread, outside of ginger of course.
>What are some of your favorites to drink neat?
For neat, very aged. The oldest. Family reserves and whatnot. Papa's Pilar has good press/awards, and it's 24yr. Pyrat XO has great citrus flavors. I'm a Floridian where we import this stuff ourself from flights and cruises, but you're going to find that your local selection might feature only a few things if you don't have a Total Wine. There's a lot of great rum not all of it famous, just look for gold, just google it while you're in the store if you want a review.
>What kind of rum mixed drinks do you guys like?
I don't even buy white rum. Not for me.
Gold and anything up to 12 year I use as a mixer in anything. My favorite is Barbancourt but it only edges out a good dozen others I like nearly as much, from foursquare to appleton to mount gay, all gifted to me quite often.
Dark and stormy (a biting ginger beer and dark rum)
Banana-lime or hemingway grapefruit-lime or mango-lime daiquiris (fresh lime is paramount while I -limed each, even if you have to use limeade frozen concentrate)
Rum punch
>Is rum a drink for the weaker man?
Because of the sugar component versus being dry, it's fallen out of fashion among the health conscious watching their carbs. All that sugar also has a hangover linkage too, between the mixers and the booze combined. Vodka, which I don't love as much as rum, seems to just be healthier for those that binge drink a good deal.

Only one thing I like better than rum drinks: tequila which indeed can be a great aged sipper. I don't buy white tequila either, reposado or anejo. I haven't found anyone who doesn't like a sangrita chaser once trying a fresh one.

All mules are top notch

I like rum, but I don't think I've ever had a "good" one

Kirk and Sweeney 12 year. Yay or nay? It's $25 at my liquor store.

>Yay
It's yea.
Yay isn't a word.

Appleton Estate's older offerings are really good.

>Kraken isn't too bad

You are human garbage

lmgtfy.com/?q=yay

You know the whole Berenstein/Berenstain Bears thing?
It's kind of like that.

Fuck yeah

Steer clear of spiced rum products

Quality, but a little sweet and smooth for my tastes. Plus, with Solera, ya never really know what you're getting...

K&S isn't that great. It's no bacardi, don't get me wrong, but..

CURRENTLY STOCKED AT HOME:

>Wray & Nephew
>Smith & Cross
>Mezan '06 (the Panama, wonderful rum)
>2 enormous jugs of Appleton "Special Reserve" (fuck that, it'll always be the V/X to me)
>Plantation 5 year (Barbados)
>Plantation Stiggins (the pineapple product they recently released)
>Banks 5 Island

/A G R I C O L E/
>JM Blanc
>Clement Bleu Canne Blanc
>Neisson 52.5 Blanc
>La Favourite Blanc

>Fuck that, it'll always be V/X to me

Mah nigga. I was finishing up a bottle of V/X when I heard that they were changing the label and knew that I had to keep the old style bottle so that in 80 years some dorks from an annoying antiques show on the history channel can dig through my crap and piss themselves over finding one of the last Appleton V/X bottles from before they changed their packaging.

As you may know, only thing that changed is the packaging. The juice is the same.

Lately I've been drinking Appleton with a splash of Wray & Nephew (neat of course).

It's great. It's like funkier Appleton with way more banana in the nose.

STROH 160
T
R
O
H

How is Appleton signature blend?

is there a dark rum that I can drink straight? I bought a bottle of gosling but apparently you're supposed to mix it with stuff.

Stroh 160 proof is pretty good for sipping

I know it's disgusting, but I can't get enough of Lamb's Navy recently. Living in Bristol, it's a choice between that or cider at my local.

Why does it seem like rum is the least refined liquor? It's like there is no really "amazing 10/10 give me a cask" rum and even the worst rums are still drinkable.

Nigga I wish I could get my hands on Lamb's. Navy style rum is bitchin awesome for old school tiki cocktails.