What spices does Veeky Forums use in their chicken fried rice with soy sauce?

What spices does Veeky Forums use in their chicken fried rice with soy sauce?

dried tiny shrimp or shrimp paste
dobanjiang

some cha

5 spice, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder

Garlic Powder, Cumin, maybe some paprika or parsley or something

Cumin?

He wanted Chinese, not Mexican.

OP fry an egg in it, put soy sauce, sesame oil (probably the most important), onion, garlic and maybe Chinese 5 spice. Paprika also gud.

>sesame oil (probably the most important)

Not all that common in Chinese cooking. That's more of a Korean and Japanese thing. Tasty though.

The Chinese make the worst Chinese food.

>garlic powder
>cumin

what the fuck?

Fair enough, I just thought it was silly that called out someone for suggesting cumin because it wasn't Chinese, and then went on to suggest something that the Chinese rarely use, and certainly not in fried rice.

>no saffron
seriously people?

That's fair, I guess I just associate cumin with an entirely different continent while sesame oil at least still feels "Asian". I'm certainly not a purist and I don't doubt that cumin could be delicious. I'm actually a pretty big fan of fusion experimentation.

>paying $4000/lb for a vague sense of superiority
cuck

calm down Richie rich

Also how has nobody mentioned MSG

you just need a little for it to be tasty, you'd literally not go through a pound in a lifetime.

I meant you should add MSG spergo

>Also how has nobody mentioned MSG

I didn't mention it because I suggested using the real deal that MSG replaces.

>dobanjiang

>fried rice

Nothing, whole or ground it's going to burn away under all that heat.

learn2aromatics

>oing to burn away under all that heat.

then why is it that every single time I have seen fired rice made by an expert they ALWAYS start the wok with an aromatic paste? go watch some of the old iron chef shows on youtube. they make fried rice often. notice how it's always something like douchi, toban jiang, etc, that's the first fucking thing (other than oil) that goes into the wok?

Not really that common in Japanese cooking. It's mostly a Korean thing.

>aromatic paste
>paste

The keyword here is paste, so it's really thick and can withstand the heat.

Anyway, for my aromatics I just use one clove of garlic, brown onion, scallion bulbs, and ginger root; all finely chopped. I let them sit for a while before throwing in all my other shit.

Garlic, ginger, white, black, and cayenne pepper.

Viscosity has nothing to do with the ability to withstand the heat. Not to mention, the moment it gets hot it liquefies. Have you ever cooked with those ingredients I mentioned? It's tiny little bits of peppers, beans, etc, from the fermentation. It's very easy for it to burn. It's simply a matter of keeping it moving and adding the rice before the aromatics get too hot and burns. All about timing.

Garlic, ginger, chicken stock, soy. That's how grandma used to do it.

Pro tips:
- make sure the rice is at least 48 hours left over in the fridge
- add rice after most other things have already cooked
- add a little more oil to the bottom of the pan with the rice
- do not disturb it for about 5 minutes so that it forms a dark crust

ginger, lots of onion (fried rice tastes bland and awful without enough onion IMO), and five spice. and sometimes chili oil.

>do not disturb it for about 5 minutes so that it forms a dark crust

Don't get me wrong--I'm not knocking your personal preference. If you like it, go for it. But that is pretty much the antithesis of how most fried rice is made. Someone looking for normal restaurant-style fried rice would be seriously derailed by that suggestion.

>What spices does Veeky Forums use in their chicken fried rice with soy sauce?
1) a very miniscule amount of toasted sesame oil
2) tamari sauce or low sodium soy, not some random brand of high salt soy. Both need to be naturally brewed or you simply won't get the flavors you want from those fake caramel colored products when you cook down the rice. Sometimes sherry, vermouth or good rice wine vinegar, a tiny amount. Sometimes a bit of ginger.
3) Properly brown the veggies and meat that you're using. A cast iron pan is perfect if you don't have the high BTU burner or actual wok. Green onion is a MUST for the herbal flavor which I add near the end, but cilantro is a nice addition too if you want to take it more Thai.

I cook my meat, remove from pan. Saute veggies. Push to side. Add a few more drops of cooking oil if needed. Add cold rice, push flat, lift up veggies above it. Pour over slurry of tamari, toasted sesame, splash of sherry, and any curry powder if using. I might use a Tbsp of makoto salad dressing for the fresh ginger carrot component. LEAVE IT. Let it get to the bottom of rice without any tossing around until the soy caramelizes and you get a nice color. It'll lift off nicely like nonstick once this happens. Think hash brown. Add the meat back in now, lift the rice up to combine the veggies, meat and rice, and pat down for a new surface. If you think it looks dry, add a little more drizzle of soy. If you desire you can push this aside near done, and make a little scrambled egg corner of the pan. Chop it up when cooked through, and fold into fried rice. Sprinkle of green onion to finish.

>
>>do not disturb it for about 5 minutes so that it forms a dark crust
>Don't get me wrong--I'm not knocking your personal preference. If you like it, go for it. But that is pretty much the antithesis of how most fried rice is made. Someone looking for normal restaurant-style fried rice would be seriously derailed by that suggestion.
Well, if they had a firey hot high BTU gas burner like a wok restaurant, they would need to jump everything around in the pan or it would burn. The fact of the matter is, they are stir frying at the speed their pan is dictating for doneness. Use your brain, silly.

It's kind of like trying to duplicate a dry heat coal fired brick pizza oven at home. Your pizza isn't done at home in 4 minutes flat of course with a crisp crust. Or like trying to duplicate the 1800F ruth's cris steak oven on your own grill. It's just not the same, so you adjust your method to get a similar result.

Fair enough, I claim my recipe to be neither restaurant-style nor Chinese, just delicious.

I think you've missed the point. Restaurant style is not served crispy.

>firey hot high BTU gas burner like a wok restaurant

That's not even the same thing bro.

My point was that regardless of what heat source you have, fried rice is supposed to be light and fluffy. It's never supposed to have a "crust".

>>so you adjust your method to get a similar result.

But you don't seem to be going for a similar result (yours is crispy, traditional is fluffy).

I agree 100% that if you don't have a high BTU heat source that you need to change your methods. But you seem to be changing more than just the method, you're changing the result.

>- make sure the rice is at least 48 hours left over in the fridge

You don't need to wait that long for the starch to settle, especially if you're experienced enough to know how much water is too much water when cooking rice.

Starch... settle... what? You want those grains hard, senpai. Dehydrating them a bit is what you're going for.

They go good together dude. One heats it up the other cools it down

>Starch... settle... what?

I mean cool.

>You want those grains hard, senpai.

Yeah, that's what I mean.

>Dehydrating them a bit is what you're going for.

No, I meant using enough water for the rice to be cooked, but tender, and not "popped" or mushy.

It's not that care to find cumin in Mongolian and Chinese food. You are aware of the silk road yeah?

Did you think cumin was native to fucking mexico?

*rare

>soy sauce mix of light and dark soy, dash sambal
>sichuan pepper, salt, black and white pepper, cloves, fine grind, pinch of each
>garlic, chilies, ginger, finely diced
>carrots, finely sliced
>bell peppers, holy trinity for color
>scallions and shallots, finely sliced and diced
>egg scrambled with another dash of sambal
>toss that shit

I'd like prawns in it, but fucking allergies etc