Going to make guacamole for the first time. Any tips?

Going to make guacamole for the first time. Any tips?

Other urls found in this thread:

foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/guacamole-recipe.html)
patijinich.com/recipe/chunky-guacamole/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

OP here. Just going off of Alton Brown's recipe (foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/guacamole-recipe.html) but I'm subbing the jalapeño for serrano. Anything I should add or subtract?

JUST

IMO, inauthentic >>>>>>>>>>>>> authentic so go for garlic instead of onions.
Mash garlic (and chillies, if you want) with a little salt in the molcajete, then add ripe avocado and whip it all together with a spritz of lime juice, lemon juice or vinegar (in decreasing order of preference) and some cilantro leaves.

If you want authentic, just mince up some onion and whip that with the avocado etc, but don't mash it first. Personally, I just find the garlic version tastier.

I think simple is best. Avocado, chili pepper, onion, cilantro, lime juice, salt. There's really no reason to add anything else. You can, but you're not going to improve the result.

>lime juice

when is this meme going to end?

Fuck are you talking about? Lime juice is practically a condiment in Mexico.

just nowhere near lemons brother and it is way more $$$

trust me on this one

Again, fuck are you talking about? Limes are 15 for $2, lemons are 4 for $1. I got nothing against lemons in Mediterranean food, but always use limes for Mexican. So do Mexicans. Where the fuck do people substitute lemons for limes? Some place with bullshit Mexican food like Texas?

why do people serve guac in a mortar?

Say what you will, but this is the answer to the question, "Why is the stuff I make at home never as good as when dining out?" You could probably get away with just adding MSG in place of the salt, but this also has a sour cream powder that adds creaminess.

Midwest and Southern idiots, who just discovered avocados a few years ago.

Sorry you can't afford 10 for $1.

It's a molcajate. Made from volcanic rock, so it's really rough. Makes it very easy to mash all the ingredients together into a uniform texture.

>sour cream powder
Hopefully OP knows better than that crap.

>molcajate

its called a guacabowle you fucking fool

>onion
This shit again. Onion is fucking garbage in guacamole. Garlic or gtfo, faggot, like says.

Qualified Memexican here, you don't put lime juice in the guacamole, it ruins it; you only put in lime juice to preserve it. Don't pretend you know Mexicans and then say you put lime juice in guac, pendejo.

Lemons are good, limes are good. Oranges are good, and tangerines are good. Red apples are good, green apples are good. They don't taste exactly the same and as such are not interchangable to get the same flavor.

That may be what you like, but like lemon juice, garlic in guacamole ain't Mexican.

do the saints of cultural appropriation approve of adding:
>salt and pepper
>garlic
>jalapeno

OP, a lot of the dickering people do with Guac recipes have to do using avocadoes that aren't fully ripe and flavorful or not creamy enough (big Forida avocado vs Hass for instance). Some of it is ignorance, back in the day for tex-mex fans trying to make somethign taste good (pretty much defines all the salsas at Moes). Alton is adding cayenne and cumin? Oh hell no.

Where else do recipes differ? Some people don't like tomatoes in the salsa. Garlic is optional as well. Always taste a guac for flavor, to adjust salt or acid (add more lime).

I scoop out the avocado, cubing half in the skin, and folding it without breaking up the chunks too much. I add salt, pepper, lime juice, chopped red or white onion, cilantro. (Some people fold in premade pico de gallo which is where the tomato arrives). Add as much serrano or jalapeno as you enjoy, knowing that if you derib and deseed it, you can get more chili flavor before it gets too stinging hot. I like my guac cold. I might cover it with plastic wrap and chill down about 30 minutes, of course checking it again for balance, typically adding more fresh lime just before serving.

Unripe avocadoes might benefit from a smidge of sour cream, those tomatoes, or even a bit of mayo. If you really need a ripe avocado for a menu buy them in advance, or several and hope for the best that some are perfect on the day you want them.

>garlic
>no onion

¿Por qué no los dos?

>implying Texans ever use lemon instead of limes in Mexican food

You don't know much about Texas, do you? The Rio Grande valley is covered in citrus farms, mainly grapefruits, limes, and oranges.

You are fucking pig disgusting

The person you're responding to is likely one of those idiots that thinks Tex-Mex is derivative and uses the word 'authentic'

Cumin and Cayenne optional. I personally wouldn't add garlic because I usually add a tiny amount to my salsa, but go for it. Jalapeños will be fine. Use nice ripe avos, too green and everyone gets the shits.

Knowing the word "pendejo" doesn't make you mexican, pinche chingadera (see, I can use slang too!) Lime juice is essential.

All cuisine is derivative. TexMex just happens to be awful. No reason to bother with it when BBQ exists.

Your opinion is invalid. Seek approval elsewhere.

You're a fucking idiot.

American with Mexican parents here, you're wrong

DO NOT listen to the shitskins.
See this? How the fuck the shitsking thinks youre going to get a hold on some stone?
Sounds about right.
mexishit confirmed, or worse, wetback trying to be all white and shit
Then this mexipiss comes around.
Stop pretending shitskin, whiteness comes from knowing the difference between lime and KEY LIME you mexishit
You are still a filthy beaner, so you are wrong too

Look at the snow nigger get upset. Top kek.

Try harder.

From
patijinich.com/recipe/chunky-guacamole/

2 ripe Mexican avocados halved, pitted and pulp cut into chunks or roughly mashed
3 tbsp white onion finely chopped
1 chile serrano or jalapeño or to taste, minced (seeding is optional)
2 tbsp cilantro leaves roughly chopped
3 tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
1 tsp salt more or less to taste

And, that's exactly how I make mine too!

>guac

It's delicious. Buy extra avocados, more than you think you need because some will be unusable.

Slice 'em open, squeeze out the goods, add some cumin, black pepper, salt, some diced tomato, some lemon or lime juice to prevent oxidation. Mash it all up w a fork. Do not blend guacamole. You're good to go.

Excellent with eggs btw

You see op, you have to stop asking these kind of questions, because the average mexishit is waaaaaaaaay more ignorant about their own culture than most outsiders.

Here, let me explain:
Do you know what mole is? It comes from the ancient aztec lenguage meaning, mixed, sauce, cooked/stew.
Thats why there are a wide range of moles like, poblano, rojo, verde, de cadera, negro and so on. The trick is lenguage, mole rojo actually means, red mix or red sauce or red stew.
Guacamole comes from aguacate and mole, wich means avocado mix or avocado sauce.
So all you need to make guacamole are fucking avocados and WHATEVER else you want to add.

GTFO and go build a wall or something, fuckface.

If I wanna put some guac on toast with some eggs for breakfast, what's the best way to make it>?

I do, that's just lazy

Good. Mao is equally lazy. If you don't have ripe Hass avocados you're not going to have guacamole. Plain and simple.

>Mao
meant to type mayo. (Been drinking).

Upvoted, good sir /:^)

Good tip about the sour cream/tomato balancing out an unripe avocado. I'll keep that in mind, but my avocados look fine

>Good tip about the sour cream/tomato balancing out an unripe avocado. I'll keep that in mind, but my avocados look fine
Dickering with a recipe is just for an emergency really. Avocados are so finicky in their ripening speed. Gotta realize there was once a time in history you also couldn't buy cilantro in every grocery in america. To be really traditional, which isn't necessary of course, but the kind of "limon" that mexico uses most is more like our key lime (which comes to our groceries, not from Florida but from Michoacan in MX). A few months past the drug gangs held up all the trucks leaving the region and restaurants across the country had a lime price crisis!

Tomatoes have the umami factor, that natural MSG kind of thing that could improve a dish, but I honestly think that the only reason tomatoes ever are in guac is because a big ol' batch of pico de gallo is fine to make ahead, marinate a while, and when someone at home or in a restaurant wants to make guac they are not going to peel an avocado too early, and to the avocado they simple spoon in a bit of the pico, which other than the tomato is exactly the other ingredients you want. It's ultimate lazymode, ya know?

Alton brown is the best, but most often i find his recipies more trouble than they're worth. My guac is cheap and fucking easy.
1 avocado
1 lemon or lime
bit of tomato
bit of onion
dats all i need for deliciousness. guac is stupid fucking easy to make. add the citrus asap to prevent browning.

>the drug gangs held up all the trucks leaving the region and restaurants across the country had a lime price crisis!
This seems to happen every year. C'mon Federales, get on the ball.
What do you have against spice, cilantro and salt?

Never have I said the restaraunt guac was better than homemade

Yeah needs cumin and cilantro at the very least

Cumin belongs in cooked salsa, not guacamole.

>Alton brown is the best
It's very likely the worst guacamole recipe I've ever seen, not to mention his liquefying the avocado first, but delicately folding in the other ingredients? Horrible.

Why people put dry chili powder, garlic, cumin omfg, lemon juice, vinegar is just due to the scarcity of early mexican ingredients, oh like 25 years ago, and never having a good version. As a Floridian with tons of avocados in everyone's yard, you had them often, the watery kind, the creamy kind, and you found ways to make it good. My own grandparents put in durkee's, a southern mayo-mustard sandwich sauce, and when my grandfather wasn't looking my grandmother would sneak in a tablespoon of ketchup. They used persian limes. I'm sure there was a dash of worchestershire. I know they preferred Saltines with it, not tortilla chips. The liked saltines with smoked fish dip, which they make from scratch from fish they caught in their bertram yacht These grandparents had great food all around the world, well-traveled pilots, tons of time in Mexico, but this is how they liked their Guacamole. I think people just like what they're used to having. All creamy Hass all the time made a big difference in needing a damn thing in it.

>Alton brown is the best
...in general. context is key nukka.
>What do you have against spice
cilantros always good i just don't think its terribly necessary. simplicity is beauty :)
I used to think so too.

It's pretty good in guacamole. Rounds out the taste of garlic. I'd rather have it in there than in my salsa but that's just me

I'd rather have the garlic and cumin in my cooked salsa, and leave the guacamole to the onions, lime juice and cilantro.

can we just put to rest the lime meme

>more money
>smaller
>sometimes hurt your hand(?????)
> lemon:lime::chicken:turkey
>one time I went to panama and the monkeys rubbed limes on themselves to protect from insects/skin parasites
>people literally say lets eat that gmo garbage

MAD WORLD

>As a Floridian with tons of avocados in everyone's yard

Sorry, but Florida doesn't know shit about guac. Haas Avocados aren't native there, and trying to use your subpar native ones is just wrong.

this
garlic guac is best guac onion a shit

wait I was shitposting and this actually triggered me

>tfw WHITEBOII is triggered

>ancient aztec lenguage

it's called náhuatl you pleb

>replying to all these comments
don't you have slaves to whup or something?

kek

Im sorry for not being an expert and not living in a mud hut and being brown to keepin'it real.

>You see op, you have to stop asking these kind of questions, because the average mexishit is waaaaaaaaay more ignorant about their own culture than most outsiders.
>OUTSIDERS
>OUT FUCKING SIDERS
>foreign
>no mexishit comprende?

oh, you're keeping it real
REAL STUPID

High energy