How do i into tequila? I've started branching out into various kinds of whiskeys, beers, and wines...

How do i into tequila? I've started branching out into various kinds of whiskeys, beers, and wines, but i don't know where to start on tequila.

>Is it clear?
>Jello shots, mixed drinks

>Is it some color?
>Shots

>What's a top-notch, high quality tequila?
>laughingmexicansofferingyouabottletellingyoutodrinktheworm.exe

avoid "gold" tequilas or mixtos. stick with 100% blue agave and you'll start off good.

>stick with 100% blue agave and you'll start off good.
That.

Also, skip silver, stick with reposado and end with reposado. No need to pay for Patron, try hornitos or sauza for the price, but Cabo Wabo is in fact worth the money for incredible smoothness.

Sangrita chaser
In blender combine red chilies, onion, lime juice, tomatoes, and the pulpiest orange juice at the store. Chill.

Tequila sunrise is good, tequila based bloody maria, tequila plus Squirt soda (paloma takeoff). If you want to make a margarita, don't skip the orange liqueur and the fresh limes (or limeade concentrate). Use oranges, mangos, watermelon or whatever fresh fruit is in season. Also good with bit of jalapeno for aftertaste. Chill your tequila down if you wish to do frozen, the ice doesn't melt as fast. Do not for any reason buy any margarita mix, no matter who's prestigious name is on the bottle, it's still reconstituted sour mix crap.

get this

What your budget/bottle?

I'd be willing to spend $100 on a good bottle.

Try this one, corralejo is your kind of tequila lad.

Forgot pic, how silly.

Ok. For 100 dollars i would recommend to buy a ffull flight of tequilas so you can get a feel of what you prefer. Blanco- unaged reposado-aged 3-11.999 months and anejo-aged 1yr- 3 yrs. there is category called extra anejo that is aged 3+yrs but these are ultra expensive and cant think of one that is under 100$.

Some people itt want you to steer clear of blancos, but I would advise against this as there are extremely good sippers in this category.

General Tasting notes

Blanco: agave, vegetal green,mint, citrus, sometimes even flowers, pepper, more alcohol forward.

Reposado: a more muted agave, can subtle wood, less alcohol burn, can still taste vegetal but less so, various spices, sometimes sweet.

Anejo: Wood, very subtle agave, almost no alcohol burn, chocolate, tofee, caramel, some can be very sweet, very smooth, some can be whisky like (sometimes they age them in old whisky barrels).

Ill check my bar to see what would make good intro to tequila for an affordable price.

99.9% of all mexican alcohol is absolute trash. Best to avoid it altogether

>Girl friend is mesican
>Her Dad is always drinking this with a squirt. A lazy mexican's version of a Paloma.
>Everytime I visit he offers me me
>White gringo accepts
>he offers me a second
>white gringo accepts
>he offers me third.
>White gringo has job in the morning and declines
>he seems disapoint

It really is good tequilla. I recommend it.They apparently bottle it both in mexico and murica. He was very proud that he had the meixcan version.

You're an idiot.

OP, a decent starter is Herradura.

Patron is SHIT, it's the Grey Goose of tequila. It's preferred by people who don't actually like tequila, and as a status symbol. Don Julio, at the same price point, is far better.

The bests of course won't be those mass produced ones, but that should get you started. Go to a tequila bar and do flights like another poster said to really into.

>Wanting to drink tequila when whiskey exists
>alcohol cuck

tequila is all shit tier drank by high school students because they think it makes them cool

bourbon or bust

found stupid mexican with no taste

This

Ok so I did some research.

You can buy the full flight of Herradura which will give you a decent idea of what all three major sub groups of tequila should taste like. However, i would spend a little more and buy the full flight of Tapatio Tequila. They make exquisite tequila for a very fair price. It is more difficult to find but some online vendors do carry it. While most tequila bottles come in 750ml the Tapatio bottles are 1L which means you get 250ml more per bottle of really good stuff.

American version is distilled to 40%ABV while the mexican one is distilled to 38%ABV

There can only be one..

Sip it from a shot glass

>sipping tequila

Quiet, moron. Used to run a tequila bar.

Like I said, these are the most available tequilas, one will find other smaller ones on their own.

>drinking corn slosh and thinking your above kids drinking mexican fairy fruit juice
Only good whiskey is Irish or Scottish single malt.

Blanco for mixing. All you are going to taste is the sugar from the mixer anyways.
Reposado for shots. Make sure it says not Jose, if you see camel coloring on the bottle toss it.
Anejo for drinking. Mostly for showing off. Think like a nice aged Scotch.

Always 100% Blue Agave. If it has a worm, skip it.

>If it has a worm, skip it.

If it has a worm, it's mezcal, and something else entirely.

I think he's saying Tequila is better than Mezcal.

kek scotch is for fedora fags

My dad actually invented tequila and he says it's just trash, who's the moron now?

There's nothing to like, really.

You get clear for mixing, but that's like saying you like rum when you only drink white rum.

The cheap shit is pretty damn raw, and doesn't mix with things well unless there's a lot of lime.

And by the time you get to the good shit, it's like all other fine liquor, in the sense that it's more refined and smooth, where you can use light complimentary ingredients. But you're enjoying good liquor with their subtle nuances, not the type of liquor itself.

Side note, cheap margaritas cause the absolute worst hangovers.

A good blanco can be good for sipping. Especially of you like vegetal, peppery, agave tasting notes. Alcohol burn will always be present just dont be a pussy and it will be ok.

>go to bar
>order tequila
>drink tequila
Literally it.

It isnt though. Pay $7 for a shot of cheap tequila. You dont know how long the bottle has been open. And you cant enjoy the nuance in a shot glass (you need a riedel glass). Good tequila is sipped.

SO I will repeat some of what other have said.

First rule of tequila is always 100% Agave
Second is Blanco no age, Reposada around 6 months, Anejo around a year and Extra Anejo 2-6 years.

For good bottles to start.
Blanco: Lunazul as the value bottle and Milagro as the higher end. Blanco are for making cocktails and will have the most agave flavor.

Reposada: Milagro, El Tesoro, Espolon
A good reposada can be sipped a bad one will be worthless, as its too expensive to make cocktails with but to shitty to sip.

Anejo: Herradura El Tesoro, cheap choice Honritos black barrel. (just like scotch tequila is age in a lot of ex bourbon barrels so the hornitos black barrel is just a new marketing campaign for their Anejo tequila.

Extra Anejo: Cazadores amazing for the price. Herradura Seleccion Suprema, maybe the best tequila avaiable to mass market. El tesoro Paradiso the other contender for best tequila.
They are the oldest and smoothest tequila.

This is pretty much the only hard liquor I get nowadays. This lad gets it.

>memories of my dad beating our family with this bottle in his hand coming back

Actually did some tequila tours in Mexico since I'm a sommelier and everybody takes sips.

why is this so hard to find in NA?

>Shit tier palate and PROUD!
Gas yourself burger.

>*sip*
>That's pretty neat
>*sip* *sip*
>BORED NOW
>*moves on to the next one*
Why?

For blanco and mixable reposado, I go with Olmeca Altos. I always try out a new aƱejo every time I run out.

Ignore them - flyovers gonna flyover. They know Cuervo and the Cheescake Factory, and that's about it.