Just harvested honey from my beehive. Do you guys like honey? Ask me anything

Just harvested honey from my beehive. Do you guys like honey? Ask me anything.

Other urls found in this thread:

boutique-abeille.fr/rustica-editions,us,4,LIVRUSTICA.cfm
nordicfoodlab.org/blog/2012/10/bee-larvae-granola
twitter.com/AnonBabble

aren't you afraid the bees will sting u?

Nah I wear protection and smoke calms them.

You can eat honeycombs as they are, right? Or decapped, at least.

If so, are they god tier?

You never go raw?

Often I do but not for harvesting.

Do you use the honey during these sexual encounters?

where do you get the weed?

Just for energy.

lmao

how do you stop the bees from flying away?

Basically they don't fly away because they like their home. Providing them with a safe, comfy home and everything they need (flowers, a cup filled with water etc) makes them unlikely to leave.

How do you know the bees aren't little robots spying on you?

Do you sell it? Do you make mead?

Not yet since it's my first harvest but I gave away quite a bit of it. Not a huge fan of booze so no.

Not OP but raw honeycomb is better than any store-bought candy I've ever had

Sure. What kind of bees do you breed? What flowers do they feed on?

Don't they have baby bees in them?? O.O

What's the first letter of your first and last name?

Nah brood wax frames are separate from honey.

Black honeybees, native from northern France. They feed on any local flowers really.

S K

Do you sell it or is it just hobby

Awesome op,

My grandfather was a beekeeper, he even wove the beehives himself.

My bother ans I made candles of the wax.

My grandfsther told me to never put your beehive where there is a road between the hive and the flowers because then all your bees will get killed.

Do you have any experience with diffrent tssting honey from diffrent flowers/trees?

Just for fun and delicious honey.

Sounds like he was a cool dude. Yeah, but not from my hive. I tend to prefer balanced honeys, not a huge fan of dark brown honeys from chestnut trees or pinetrees.

Do your bees have names? Is there a Henry in the hive?

Not that I know of.

smoke calms me to nigga 420blaze it

don't they get angry when you steal their honey?

That's some nice honey you got there. Shame if anything were to...happen...to it.

Not really. Basically I open the hive a few days before and put a contraption between the core of the hive (that I don't harvest) and the parts I harvest. Said contraption only lets bees one way (down towards the core) so the upper boxes are completely devoid of bees. I harvest them then place them back. Bees go back in and just see empty alveolas which they start filling. They don't even realise I've stolen the honey.

Is honey seasonal? Is it any different at different times of the year? Are your bees pollinating any crops nearby? Do you topless photos of your gf that you wanna share?

lol stupid bees.

>Is honey seasonal?
Not quite but it's always harvested at least in early summer to late autumn, since bees need to rely on their stockpiles for winter.
>Is it any different at different times of the year?
Yep, different flowers bloom in different seasons and change the taste of honey. Spring honey is typically milder.
>Are your bees pollinating any crops nearby?
No crops nearby, thank fuck because they grow a lot of rapeseed in the area and it makes low grade honey.
>Do you topless photos of your gf that you wanna share?
Nah, I'm single and I'd rather have a cute bf right now.

How does it feel to be a literal slavedriver. Do you have any compassion? You're no better than filthy sweatshop owners, exploiting those beneath you.

t. vegan pro

What's your setup like? Would you recommend recreational beekeeping in a small/medium sized garden? Also once the bees settle in, what keeps them from moving their hive away?

>Nah, I'm single and I'd rather have a cute bf right now.
what's your taste in BF?

>I'd rather have a cute bf right now.
Hi.

>I'd rather have a cute bf right now.
If I get singles then we have to date each other.

>What's your setup like?
Single box-style hive in a garden. For harvesting I just rented a centrifuge and a sift.
>Would you recommend recreational beekeeping in a small/medium sized garden?
Sure, if you know what you're doing. Bees fly up to 3 km to find flowers so the size of the garden isn't that important.
>Also once the bees settle in, what keeps them from moving their hive away?
Basically they only move if they find a better spot. Make the hive as good as possible for them (safety, access to water/flowers) and they won't leave. Technically nothing stops them from leaving.

Cute, somewhat effeminate. I swing both ways but I feel like I get along better with guys.
Hello.

Hey

Hey guys

Hey

Where does a bee put his stinger at night?

In his honey!!!

feels bad user
I could be your fucboi. where you at?

Pffthahaha. I'm not opposed to the idea anyway.

Northern France. You?

Aw.
Denmark.

DELETE. THIS. POST.

Tough shit, buddy

Ah well.

Do you ever get worried THE BEES will come in the night and take away your HONEY...??

You have no idea. My vegan room mate calls honey "bee vomit" and likens bee keeping to Nazi work camps.

You ever been attacked by the bees? I never got stung by a bee before does it hurt?

Start referring to his stomach as "the compost pile" to get back at him.

I'm afraid they might cause issues with the neighbor's pets. Assuming the bees aren't Africanized, from your experiences will the bees fuck with nearby dogs/cats as they're collecting pollen?

I'm not the guy you're replying to, but my uncle keeps bees on his property. He has several dogs and cats (as well as ducks and chickens). I've spent a lot of time over there and never seen the bees fuck with the animals.

Got attacked by one when catching a swarm in the nostril. Hurt like a bitch. Got stung in the thumb, was mildly painful.

No issues with my two cats to report.

put bee in his shoe

This might be an allergic reaction or just some weird ass mutant bee, but when I got stung by a bee it was BY FAR the worst pain I have ever felt, made me hyperventilate and faint. And I've been pushed onto a grill and had one third of my back severely burned.

What is your opinion on the 'Flow' Hive?

Are you the guy who keeps his beekeeping profession a secret from family and friends?

You must have very large nostrils

it's killer bee killed out there these days. nothing wrong with enslaving bees.

Probably allergic m8. I've been stung by bees and hornets before and it was unpleasant but nothing to the level of sever burns.

Bees are tiny. My nostrils are painfully average.
Nope, it's just a hobby.
Seems okay for someone who doesn't want to bother with an actual hive but I don't expect bees to appreciate their honey leaking.

Maybe. It was in malta on vacation, so I dunno if they have next-level bees or something

I know you're baiting but that can be said about the entire food industry. Do you grow your own vegetables, oats and legumes? Make your own pasta, grounding your on flour, No? Then you're not much better than the rest of us omnivores.

how many beehive do you have? Did you made them yourself? How do you acquire bees? Harvest time windows?

Who would have to keep his beekeeping profession a secret, unless all his family and friends are vegan or have an irrational hate of honey.

This thread is filled with the kind of obliviously stupid but charming posts that make me love Veeky Forums. Thanks for being so comfy, f a m

Are your bee bro from /wsg/?

fuck off cunt suck my dick

No
I bought my queen.
Harvest time window is basically from late spring to autumn.

When does the Honey taste the best? Does it taste ike the Honey from the store?

Guess it could work, food trucks are a new thing here and quite popular.

Honey doesn't spoil or degrade. I guess it's best directly when you eat the comb. Store bought honey is often laced with syrup but pure honey's taste just depends on the flowers used by the bees to make it.

Jesus I can't wait for us to invade France again

Is that all you need? One queen and a comfy hive?

Queens are sold with a handful of drones but yes, that's all you need. You need additional stuff like some device to create smoke and a beekeeper suit if you're worried about stings.

Nein

We can be friends if you want.

What's the matter? If you're the Danish dude, drop some contact info and we'll get in touch.

is it expensive? how much did it cost you to set up (queen, box, smoker)?

Not the danish dude, just sad that you're not bee bro

Yeah clearly expensive. For all expenditures I'm about 500 in. It's not worth it if you think about the price per kilogram of honey but it's a great hobby IMO.

im in the Netherlands and the beekeeping scene is apparently good here, at my local weekend farmer market there are at least 3 honey stands to choose from

ive been seeing dead bees on the ground nearly every day this summer :(

How did you get interested in beekeeping?

I've always been interested by social insects like ants, I have a big garden so I thought why not.

My wife's daughter really likes to eat honey, she eats it with almost anything every morning!

My wife has always loved bees, were both members of our local bee conservation society and she really wants to keep bees - but we have no idea how to start.
Could you give a quick rundown of the fundamentals?

>my wifes daughter

Get in touch with a beekeeper association or something. Basically you'll need to understand how to properly set up the hive (facing south, its opening towards where there are flowers, not crossing another beehive's entry axis, have a water source nearby), buy a swarm and put it gently in the hive, then you'll need to maintain it, inspect it one in a while (2 or 3 times a month) to check for anomalies and prevent it from creating a new swarm. Harvest is tricky but other beekepers are typically happy to help newcomers. So yeah, try to find someone who already knows his stuff or get a book. I use boutique-abeille.fr/rustica-editions,us,4,LIVRUSTICA.cfm solid resource but it's in French.

Have you watched "More than Honey"?
Pretty good documentary about bees.

danish here, desu not really looking for more friends, I'm pretty autistic, it'd not be a good experience for either of us.

Are you the guy who had his beehives destroyed by a rogue beetaker on/adv/?

They're fucking god tier dude.

Do you love your bees?
:3

Yes, they're my friends!

omg I love bees now

Ever harvest larvae to make hochinoko based recipes? nordicfoodlab.org/blog/2012/10/bee-larvae-granola

Revolting.

They taste really good. It's like milk, you can strain the large into a goo and make "eggs" very nutrient dense.

>killing my bee's babies
fuck no

Most bee keepers around here do so to reduce hive health issues anyways. might as well eat them.

I just kill the queen caps.

What like no condoms?

Oh. Well everyone has their own management styles. Honestly though the macros are spectacular and the taste ambrosial.