Alright so I just came back from visiting a friend of mine who lives in Oaxaca...

Alright so I just came back from visiting a friend of mine who lives in Oaxaca, Mexico and granted while I was prepared for the food to be nothing like what I can get in Flyover, USA I was still pretty astonished at how foreign it was. They have like 10 different kinds of moles alone and the enchiladas looked nothing like what I've seen before.

So this got me thinking, where is Mexican American food actually from in Mexico? Like how most Italian-American food has its roots in southern Italy, is there a particular region in Mexico that influenced America disproportionately?

Other urls found in this thread:

grubstreet.com/2011/06/rick_bayless_loves_him_some_ti.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bro I'm really high and your post made me laugh so hard haha nice dude

The issue with recreating Mexican food accurately outside of Mexico is ingredient availability.

You have to go to an expensive hipster market to acquire stuff like fresh papalo or epazote, let alone the 50,000 kinds of dried chiles. Good luck getting huitlacoche that isn't in the form of revolting black slime from a can.

That's why we get hamburger meat simmered with "spice mix" and topped with Breakstone brand sour cream. Not because nobody wants to try. Because they can't.

glad I could help

Any city in the US with a decent sized Mexican population will many latino super markets sell all the stuff you listed and more at rock bottom prices.

They are usually in pretty rough neighborhoods

No they won't. I know this because I used to live in a Mexican neighborhood.

You can get conchas and stuff like that, anything you can replicate with "American" ingredients or non-perishables.

You are not getting fresh huitlacoche at the local Mexican grocery store in the US, I can tell you that. Dried epazote, no problem. Dried chiles, sure. But some things are just not happening.

California

Fresh huitlacoche is almost always available at Feria Latina on NW 23rd street in my city

The El Mariachi market closer to my house has it sometimes.

"mexican" food outside of mexico is generally texmex which is basically anglicisation of mexican food to refine it to fast food/common standards and expectations

It's a mix of border food what would be referred to Tex-Mex etc. It isn't exclusive to Texas, Arizona, New México and California have their own particular influences. The majority of immigrants used to come from Western México hence the typical food from there such as Enchiladas Mineras from Guanajuato that have been modified for Americans. Now that there are more people from Southern places like Oaxaca in New York for example you'll see the influence from there begin to show. Others like tacos de carne asada are universal throughout USA/México simply because the ingredients are easy to acquire . Somehow though they're still able to fuck them up in the USA by adding weird things like cheese or tomato to them.

This. You can get the generals and non-perishables. But you're not going to find fresh Hatch chiles in the east coast, for example.

>which is basically anglicisation of mexican food to refine it to fast food/common standards and expectations

Actually that's not at all fucking true, but keep talking.

Tex-Mex started as a combination of American ingredients and northern Mexican staples (fresh and dried beef, flour tortillas, etc). During the 19th century, so not exactly fast food.

Nor was "Mexican" food similar then. Mexico City's cuisine was pretty much directly derived from that of Paris - the fad of pre-colonization dishes came after the Revolution. The southern areas stayed closer to their Mayan roots, but given Mexico takes its name from the Aztecs, claiming banana leaf tamales are the only real "Mexican" food is silly.

This is pretty spot on.

OP, there's a pretty good book called Planet Taco that deals with the history of Mexican food.

Unlike Italian food, Mexican food wasn't formed elsewhere then brought here and adapted. Many of the northern styles (Sonoran, Tex-Mex, New Mexican) evolved together.

Meanwhile, many of the southern styles were influenced both by the French, and later waves of immigrants. Tacos al Pastor, for example, come from adaptation of a Turkish dish.

Oaxaca is pretty close to indigenous cuisine in many ways, which is why they're so heavy on the mole.

It's not 1992, the average Mexican neighborhood in the US isn't that

As a matter of fact, the Mexican neighborhoods where I live aren't rough at all

>tfw live on Long Island and there's almost no real Mexican food here, just shitty AmeriMex places

How similar are Mexico City and Puebla cuisine?

The Mexican people where I live tend to be from these places, so the Mexican food is reflective of that. But I'm not sure how much different a place run by someone from Mexico City will be versus a place run by someone from Puebla.

I go to a place owned by a guy from Mexico City, but the cooks are from Puebla. I'm guessing that's a common arrangement.

When I went to Mexico, I made a point to learn how they do carnitas. Miles above what we have in America, even in the south where Mexicans are abundant.

I guess they take the process more seriously down there

Beer, orange, and a lot of care for how the porks cooked. None of the "bland fried pulled pork" you get in the states commonly

I think of pork as being bland, it's probably just the way it's prepared when I have it

I wonder why Mexico is such a big pork country though, I think chicken is better

In flyover country it's always 25 years ago

Well El Paso and San Antonio are both flyover places with a lot of Mexicans, and they're pretty safe

>Chicken
>Better than pork

Just kys nigger.

If only black people like chicken, then why do white people wait in lines the length of a football field to get chick fil-A?

Are you a Puerto Rican or something? Cuchifrito ass nigga

.t juan

any state with more than 10 million people is not flyover

Nope, you must be an insecure Trump autist though

Texas outside the big cities is flyover as fuck

Every state is flyover outside of the big cities

Well parts of upstate New York have a non flyover charm, despite being rural

Non Flyover:

NYC
Philly
LA
San Francisco Bay Area
New Orleans
Atlanta

Flyover:
Chicago
Everywhere else

>have non flyover charm

Well yeah, the people don't come off as bland Middle Americans

A T L
T
L

your an idiot. all those ingredients are available here.

Huh?

San Antonio and El Paso are both pretty good sized cities.

yeah they're big size, but El Paso is kinda flyover still

Is there anything of interest there except for all the Northern Mexican food?

Beer?

I do mine Micholaden style - braised in lard, Mexican Coca Cola, and oranges.

You need to listen to
Texas is the epitome of flyover - in the middle of nothing, has a couple cool small cities, and people trying REALLY hard to convince themselves that they're in the big boy leagues. Give it up Houston, you're suburbs in a swamp.

LA is also an overcrowded suburb

LA makes up for it with culture and its unique industries, and has an actual downtown. Houston does not.

That's nice.

>I was still pretty astonished at how foreign it was
America, the post.

It would be foreign to a European also, I doubt they have a lot of real Mexican food there.

Might want to research Spanish history a little, user.

Spain probably has some Mexican immigrants, but there is probably little to no real Mexican food in any other European country

>Spain probably has some Mexican immigrants
Please be trolling.

People from Latin America make up like 3.5 percent of Spain's population

there's too much military in el paso it really fucks with the culture

What language do you think they speak in Mexico?

Spanish food is a lot different from Mexican food

>go to Spain
>order a "tortilla" at a restaurant
>get potato and onion omelette

A common language doesn't make the food similar even if Spain brought us rice and domesticated animals

agreed, I'm disappointed that he would try to make that comparison

is it a faux pas to order a taco with no cilantro?

No, it's just shit taste. Cilantro is excellent

I don't really mind it mixed with meat, but I have that "soap taste" thing going on so I don't like the way it tastes by itself

It tastes like soap to me too and I love it. Your mouth needs an upgrade

like I said, it doesn't really bother me, except for when I get a bite of just cilantro

Which moles are the best?

Mole Amarillo is pretty dope it's probably the spiciest and doesnt have any chocolate

>amarillo
>spiciest

kek

I love yellow, but the best would have to be one made with huitlacoche.

Isn't Oaxaqueno very spicy?

can be, depends who makes it obviously

border cities I imagine
Tijuana, Mexicali, etc...

Oaxaca is far from the border so thats probably why its so different

>border cities I imagine
grubstreet.com/2011/06/rick_bayless_loves_him_some_ti.html

>Rick Bayless Calls Tijuana ‘One of the Great Food Cities of North America’

there are many Mexican owned restaurants in Madrid and Barcelona

how the fuck are you gonna wrap those things up with all that filling?

it's meant to look pretty not be eaten

Lol, just keep telling yourself that.