Is there any fish more delicious than the mackerel? If it wasn't for the tedium of getting rid of all the little bones...

Is there any fish more delicious than the mackerel? If it wasn't for the tedium of getting rid of all the little bones, I'd buy them buy the dozen and eat them every day. What's your favorite way to eat mackerel?

I just deboned one, filled it's body with crushed garlic, ginger, and pickled chilies, then marinated it in fish sauce and fried it till the skin was crispy, then had that over rice. Delicious.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Spanish_mackerel
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's my favorite. I love the fishy, oily taste. Tastes so good with absolutely nothing on it.

Fried with fish sauce.

Shit, I would always use it for bait to catch bigger fish. Might give these a try.

Best when they don't overmarinade to disguise the flavor.

Mackerel is God tier. Salmon and Tuna for people who dont like fish.

I fucking love mackerel, and I see that some species are very low in mercury (North Atlantic), and some are extremely high (Spanish Atlantic, King).

Fuck bro's, I'm nervous about it being mislabeled if I start to buy it frequently.

>Is there any fish more delicious than the mackerel?

yes its called a bonito. far superior to macs.
I like macs as well but bonito is better.

Don't worry, you're already autistic.

I like canned mackerel. It's got a really meaty feel to it, unlike most canned fishes.

I tried it the other day but was disappointed because its flavor is so mild compared to fresh mackerel.

Barramundi

One of the few fishes that contain a pretty large amount of Vitamin D3, something people should eat more of.

Mackerel sashimi is based
Favourite is fresh fillets lightly grilled with thin slices beef tomato sprinkled with thyme, served on toast with tapenade
Devilled if not quite fresh

Or you know, you could just get out of your mom's basement and into the sun for 30'.

Ever tried it smoked?

Ever tried it tinned with tomato? The umami is incredible

salmon or sole, mackerel is solid normcore

You must keep in mind: salmon is on every restaurant menu everywhere. It's ordered by everyone from soccer moms to their edgelord sons. It's perhaps the second most normie fish of all time next to tuna.

That said, if you like it, eat it. I'll be over here, enjoying me some fattier fishes with a more fishy taste.

No. You must give it to me.

>getting salmon from olive garden
fair point though, sole is indisputably better than mackerel.

I catch it regularly while on the seaside. Just a rosemary sprig in the body, grill for 7-8 minutes over the wood and drizzle some olive oil on them. Fucking amazing.

back to r.eddit you go, faggot

it's my favorite sushi

>sole better than mackerel
Not sure I can agree with that. I like both in different ways.

Since you mentioned Olive Garden, and I don't mean to sound condescending, but are you sure you've had real sole? It's pretty uncommon to find it for sale in the US and when it is, it's a bit costlier than other fishes for some bizarre reason.
I live in the US. A local supermarket currently has real sole listed at $15/lb and American "west coast sole," which is still pretty fucking delicious, mind you, at $3/lb.

I like all three, west coast sole, real sole and mackerel for different reasons and am unable to choose a favourite between them.

>Spanish Atlantic.

I'd like you to explain where the fuck you think this place is.

>What's your favorite way to eat mackerel?

Only time I ate it was as sushi. Marinated with vinegar

Why?

>Is there any fish more delicious than the mackerel?

Yes, Sardines.

> If it wasn't for the tedium of getting rid of all the little bones

then fish aint for you, specially sardines

Sardines have a much milder flavor though, much less impact than mackerel.

whaaat? i guess thats a matter of how you cook them? and its all a matter of opinion, i prefer sardines/

also, consume your mackarel with a nice salad with oil and vinegar, add a cubed boiled tater in there. the whole meal will feel fresh.

My mom boils them with some herbs and its fucking delicious

Smaller sardines and anchovy are actually much easier to debone than mackeral. Take needle-nose pliers, grab the spine at the base of the tail and twist to separate, then stick your finger under the broken edge of the spine and move it toward the head. In general, the spine and all rib bones will come out in a single piece. Any pin bones in those fish are small enough to be edible.

What the heck? People don't eat the bones? That's nature's calcium!

Mackeral fillets either fried or grilled with salt and pepper with a wedge of good bread is one of the best food experiences I've had. The simplicity brings out all of the flavors.

The Gulf of Mexico lmao

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Spanish_mackerel

I like it raw or quickly grilled. Shame i dont have a flash freeze so i cant enjoy it more frequently

How easy would it be to set up an ethical fish farm for mackarel which doesnt compromise the flavour (as in proper ecosystwm with minimal maintainence)?

Oily fish are all pretty great.

Mackerel has an amazing variety of textures when it's fried just right - crispy skin, soft flesh, a bit more chew towards the belly, that fatty layer along the top.

>that fish in the background pacing back and forth nervously

Mackerel is at its most toothsome when smoked.

Lidl in the UK sell whole smoked mackerel, heads attached at very reasonable prices.

Sometimes I make a special visit to one of the German retailer's compact stores, just to enjoy a whole, toothsome smoked mackerel for my supper.

I love ti but the last that i bought had some anisakis in it and now i dont feel like eating it : /

Fucking amazing for sushi, as is all white fleshed fish. Lots of flavour and texture. Good taste my bro.

I hate regular sardines, but enjoy brisling sardines. Neither in any form comes close to kippers for me, though.

>mfw live in atlantic canada and can just go catch them off any dock whenever I want

Gross, wish you hadn't shared that. The less time I spend thinking about parasites the better.

The Gulf of Mexico is in the Caribbean Sea.

from the tin

I'm fond of swordfish and marlin myself.

We usually use mackerel as bait for other fish, like halibut. But sure, go on and worship a bait-level fish, whatever floats your boat.
Freshly salted rose fish is probably my favorite.

I fucking love mackerel. The problem is that it goes bad really fast so it's difficult to find good mackerel unless you're willing to pay out the ass for it, or if you happen to live close to where it is fished. Same problem with herring and sardines. They all go bad so damn quick.