Tell me Veeky Forums, why do gamer bars suck so bad?

Tell me Veeky Forums, why do gamer bars suck so bad?

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/07/nintendo-takes-on-real-world-again-will-open-kirby-restaurant-in-august/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

they're usually just really really shitty cakey bars filled with terrible chemically-treated products and preservatives under the guise of being energy filled.

Or they're pumped with fucking caffeine which is arguably worse.

what the fuck is a gamer bar

What the fuck is a gamer bar

Unless you mean like, bars, as in pubs or something, in which case, they're filled with really fruity assholes and terrible liquors with chemically-colored products shoved into them, all with terrible flavor under the guise of being high quality.

Or they're pumped up with foam and artsy fartsy shit (like that kirby pop up restaurant) which is arguably worse.

are you talking about bars with a gaming theme?

They're usually run by autists that inherited a ton of money and thought it would be wise to blow it all on a gaymer bar that has shit food and drinks.

The only successful ones have good food or drinks and they don't have a autistic atmosphere.

Yep.

What does gamer bar even mean?

I guess I have one near me. It's basically an arcade that serves alcohol and drunk bar food like pizza and tacos. It's nice because everything costs 25¢ and if you go on the right day you can get tokens for 10¢ for use layer in the week.

Well in that case I can tell you about my experience at the "AFK gamer lounge". It's basically just a pcbang and bar mixed together. Results were terrible as you might expect. I went a couple weeks ago. Not only was it totally empty (maybe 4 of the 120~ PCs were occupied), the bar was empty, which is the actual main "lounge" part, and it turns out unless you pay some retarded monthly membership charge, you can only play an hour at a time, which is extended for every purchase of liquor. So basically they directly encourage you to drink and play at the same time, which is not only hilarious, but terrible for the PCs, which was obvious by the caked on dirt and sludge on they keyboard, mouse, monitor, and case for the PC itself, I won't even talk about the food crumbs and stains left all over.

The food was basically bowling alley quality. The fries were okay though, but the chips sucked, they were just wise potato chips dumped in a little tray. They had a few novelty dishes named after video game characters (mostly league of legends characters), but they were all like fucking $40 or more, which I wasn't gonna spend.

Anyway, so all in all basically it's just a terrible bar, mixed with terrible PCs that are neglected (some of them had tons of fucking updates waiting to install, and hadn't patched popular MMOs like WoW and TESO for a few weeks, at least), and then on top of that it just seemed like they never cleaned. There was a perpetual aura of grease on everything, from the doors to the keyboards to the mouse I used, to the food to the bartop.

The alcohol was all super low quality supermarket tier shit. they literally had boxed wine as a wine option. I'm not even fucking kidding you.

>like that kirby pop up restaurant

Only Japan does Character cafe's correctly. arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/07/nintendo-takes-on-real-world-again-will-open-kirby-restaurant-in-august/

We had one in my town called 8-Bit Bar. I never went but I'm pretty sure they went out of business. There's another place called Arcade but that's actually got arcade machines in it and is not run by autists.

The only one I've been to was this place in Tulsa. It was cool

They had several dozen arcade machines

>Only Japan does Character cafe's correctly.
Of course.
:^)

Decent cocktails and a good beer selections

You can tell its a Gamer Bar by how awkwardly that guy is standing

It's a drinking establishment catering to gamers.

What pose should he strike to not stand awkwardly to you?

>dat wispy woods meal
fug. Why can't the states get something like this?

>hand halfway shoved into pocket lazily
>slouched legs and leg
>hovering his beer above the table for whatever reason
>completely alone in the bar
>hes the center of focus for some reason

Were these pictures off the Website? They seem very unprofessional. I dont wanna see this guy, I wanna see the shit behind him up close. If they wanted to a photo of people, it shouldve been 3 friends fake laughing or whatever. Not one dude just sperging out.

>legs and leg
I mean neck, oops. Tipsy.

also why does it look like somebody creeped around the corner and took this photo without him knowing?

Would it be at all possible to make a gamer bar not shitty? I like drinking and I like video games but drunk people, liquids and delicate electronics don't really mix

>anime pizzeria
lol

I don't think pc or consoles would survive all the abuse

Arcade machines hold up pretty well

I feel like if you made people rest their drinks at about thigh level and kept the machines clean it could work. Having a lot of cabinets is a HUGE investment though and the maintenance would be hell. I wonder if you could get away with making your own custom MAME cabinets.

Here's an example of a seemingly successful gaming bar in my city.

-curated but not overwhelming variety of craft beers. I think they also had a few wines but not much.
-comfy bar and couches if people would rather just drink.
-vintage arcade machines that rotate out every month or so (except for the classics). All the games except pinball are free.
-A TV that always has some quirky 70s/80s movies on.
-Featured artists' work on the walls every month that you can buy. the work is sometimes gaming/nerd culture related but not too tacky.
-the bartenders are really friendly and knowledgeable on beer and the games.
-the place is kept clean and all the games have ample cup holders on the sides of them, not near the game controls.

What city?

orlando

I went to Battle Brew in Atlanta, GA. I was so underwhelmed with their portions and everything food related. They advertised steamed buns, but I got some sort of taco looking product that had to be made by hipsters who don't know what they are actually doing. I am pissed I had to eat food from there.

Player 1?

We have Exp Bar where I live. Similar menu.

>No Company of Gyros Lamb Mine Gyro

was this a comic shop? Or Barcade?

Barcade a shit, but comic shop has narragansett on tap so I can get toasty while playing TMNT

>$7 for caesar salad
>$9 for tendies
>$6 for a small plate of deviled eggs
>$12 for a BLT

the problem is the food/drinks marketed to gamers, which means it doesn't really have to be that good, just gaming themed. so it's crappy food that you're paying more for because someone called tendies "dragon talons"

Oh, I thought it was some kind of granola bar for gamers, an energy bar of sorts.

where do I begin

the prices and names are just horrendous

kill me now

No, BART downtown. I haven't been to player 1 yet, it's kinda far from me.

it was a barcade

Anything with "gamer" in its tagline is automatically shit.

Gamer bar?