What up, see-kay?

What up, see-kay?

Going to New York on my honeymoon this month. What places are worth checking out?

HARD MODE: No chains.

Momofuku milk bar birthday cake truffles are great!
St. Anselm get the tea brined chicken
cafe mogador
Restaurant Nippon get the Beef Negimayak
Xi'an Famous Foods
Bon Chon Chicken
2nd ave deli

Definitely check out La Morada in Mott Haven

>honeymoon in NYC

why?

Because they want to visit the greatest city in the world.

also where are you from?

as much as I love NYC, it seems like an odd place to honeymoon

We're both theater geeks from the midwest, and one thing we have in common is that we've both been to NYC before, but didn't see a show on Broadway the first time we were there. This is our plan to right that wrong.

And, of course, New York has some of the best eats in the country. Thing are going well for us financially at the moment, so why not treat ourselves?

No that's cool, NYC is great to visit but I thought honeymoons were traditionally in low key kind of places.

Be sure to check out the nightlife too, the bars close at 4AM which is pretty cool.

What kind of foods would you like to try?

I'm not so much a stickler on certain types of food. I just care that, whatever the category, it should be done well. The people making it should actually give a shit. We're not looking for anything super-fancy. It just has to be well made by people who care. And we're open to all foods, regardless of nationality.

understandable

I think you should check out a Oaxacan restaurant called "La Morada", it's highly regarded and relatively inexpensive

Any non-food activities you're interested in, aside from the Broadway show?

>St. Anselm get the tea brined chicken

If you're waiting for St. Anselm, get the blade for two

Fiancee mentioned something about a tour of Yankees Stadium. Neither of us are Yankees fans, so it seemed odd to me, but whatevs. I like baseball, I like history, so let's do it.

We're also into art museums. I'm sure there's a few we need to check out while we're in town.

I had fried chicken from a place called Root and Bone and it was marinated in sweet tea I think, that was the best damn fried chicken I've ever had

Go to the The Metropolitan Museum of Art

>We're also into art museums. I'm sure there's a few we need to check out while we're in town.

You can spend days at the Met.

MOMA and Guggenheim are also must sees.

If you want to combine food and art, I recommend Cafe Sabarsky. It's in an Austrian art museum, and is pretty much a Vienesse cafe.

>why not treat ourselves?
Get a reservation at Mission Chinese. Go bar hopping in the EV, and eat at Downtown Bakery (Mexican). Au Za'atar and Babu Ji in the EV are good, too. Then there's Russ and Daughters' Cafe and Katz's, which are touristy old school Jewish NYC icons on the LES, but they're good nonetheless. Lombardi's is the pizza version of the same idea.

If you have to eat in midtown the Korean joints on 32nd St can be fun.

And get a burger at Joe Jr.

Beyond that you might want ramen (plenty of good choices) and to spend some time wandering around Chinatown.

yeah there are a lot of museum's and they're generally inexpensive. I've been to few that were cool but I can't remember the names off the top of my head.

Edit: the poster above me mentioned one of them, The Metropolitan Museum of Art

You're better off actually seeing a Yankee game in my opinion, perhaps they'll be versing your home team during your visit.

You should also try out some guilty pleasures stuff, a bacon egg and cheese sandwich is a New York classic

Yes I second Barhopping in the East Village, as well as the Lower East Side

Where will you guys be staying?

Z NYC in Long Island City, Queens.

oh cool, Queens has a lot of cool food stuff easily accessible from Long Island City

Thanks everyone! You've proven that Veeky Forums actually has some decent people about.

No chains is EZ tier. Hardmode would be chains only.

Inexpensive:
Xi'an Famous
Soup dumplings from Shanghai Cafe/The Bao/Joe's Shanghai
Chicken over rice from a halal cart (I personally think the Halal Guys on 53rd are meme tier but they're the most famous)
Pizza (Prince St. Pizza/Joe's/John's of Bleecker/literally so many choices here)
Mamoun's Falafel
Bacon Egg and Cheese on a roll (from a bodega)
Corner Bistro/Burger Joint/I'd say Umami burger is better than both but you said no chains
Katz's is a must
Bagel from Russ & Daughters/Bagel Bob's/Black Seed/Ess-A-Bagel/Murray's Bagels
I think Ippudo has better ramen than Momofuku, but Momofuku has better pork buns
Los Tacos No. 1 in Chelsea Market
Earl's Beer and Cheese if you find yourself on the UES
Veselka
Pommes Frites

Splurge:
Hill Country Barbecue
Gotham Bar and Grill
Perla
Minetta Tavern's Black Label Burger
Gabriel Kreuther
Wasn't super impressed by the food at Mission Chinese but the drinks are amazing
Chef's Club
Kang Ho Dong Baekjong
Keen's Steakhouse
Peter Luger's
Nougatine at Jean Georges

Gonna stop there for now. It would really help if you could be more specific about what you're looking for because there are literally thousands of options. Pizza, bagels, and chicken over rice are better here than pretty much anywhere else in the country/world so I'd make sure to hit those (plus they're cheap).

How is Los Tacos? I've been meaning to go there?

Also, have you tried Udon West? I think it's pretty good.

>Keen's Steakhouse
>Peter Luger's

Honestly, St. Anslem's blows both out of the water. It's a pain because they don't take reservations, but if you're willing to chill next door for a while it's probably the best steak in the US right now.

oops, 2nd question mark was unintended

If you want a REAL good NY slice you HAVE to go to sbarro's my friend,you won't regret it.

Kek

Hotel Tortuga
MUD trucks
Wafels and Dinges
Mamouns
Saigon Shack
Five Napkin Burger
Mumbles
99 miles

Shake Shack (the one in Madison Sq Park is the first)

you said no chains but I couldn't resist.

is hotel tortuga authentic or is it gringo-mex?

Queens is also worth a bit of exploring. Definitely grab some Greek food while there, and there's good Mid East food there too.

and South American, Chinese, Indian, and Mexican

Yeah I was only there a few days and didn't get to try enough places to eat 2bh. Easily most diverse place I've ever seen.

hell yeah, parts of Queens, really most of Queens,are super diverse

it's funny that there are retards on Veeky Forums who think diversity/multiculturalism are destined to fail, then you spend time in Queens and see that's not true

macdonals

Bonchon is a chain
Xian is a chain
Momofuku is (a) arguably a chain and (b) mediocre as fuck

The rest I either don't care about, don't disagree with, or have not been to
Because not everyone is a shut-in sperg who gets triggered by proximity to strangers, loud noises, the sight of a brown person, or food that costs more than "free because my mommy slips it under the door between temper tantrums"

definitely check out the whitney, the balconies connecting the upper floors are great during the summer and you get a gorgeous view of chelsea and the hudson

I was just in NYC and went to Totto Ramen in Hells' Kitchen. It was super good and had a cool ramen house vibe.

>"free because my mommy slips it under the door between temper tantrums"

kek

Beats the ones I've had in LA and Mexico, honestly. Would not hesitate to call it the best taco in NYC. Haven't been to Udon West.

Haven't been there yet, but it's been on my list. Hope you're right about this place because ever since I learned how to make a good steak at home restaurant steaks haven't been all that impressive.

These are pretty NYC area specific chains though

The new Whitney is beautiful. The Guggenheim, MoMa, and the Met are all world class too.

Depends what you want to get. My friend has brought me to this little place in china town called Shanghai cafe.
Get some soup dumplings and jelly fish salad. It's really good and cheap. If I remember right the menu is only in Chinese tho

It's not Chinese only
Also congrats on being the first non-NYer in the history of this board to actually mention a Chinese restaurant in Chinatown by name, it's always "muh hole in the wall" because being a racist tard is moar authentic

St. Anslem is indeed amazing. Their hanger steak is delicious and the price is great for what you get. Fette Sau across the street has amazing BBQ as well. Shame that area is full of huge pussy hipsters though.

Well the hipsters have been priced out of Williamsburg for a while now, but they still hang out there

Huh?

Williamsburg isn't really the hipster capital anymore, it is now Bushwick

If you aren't lmaopoorfaggots you should splurge on a dinner at Del Posto. It's the fanciest place I've ever been to, and I will always use it as a benchmark for 'niceness' until I am fortunate enough to experience something nicer.

Do you live around there, user? I live in Harlem and I don't get around to the east side as often as I should.

I went to this small place in the EV that made awesome Cacio e Pepe in the pecorino wheel and everything, but they only took AmEx and cash for what its worth.

OP, if you ever find yourself in East Harlem, please make sure you go to Patsy's on 1st and 117th. Get a slice or two at the side door and eat on someone's stoop, or go in and get a cheese pie for like 10 bucks. True old school pizza from the 30's back from when East Harlem was Italian.

If OP isn't too scared to leave white Manhattan, lol

>white Manhattan
He lives in Harlem, no leaving needed

I thought you were talking to OP, who is from the Midwest

That was a joke but in all seriousness OP, don't be afraid to go to places that are majority minority

I live north of 125th, man. Not many whiteys like myself here.

Anywhere west of Broadway above 170th or so is white folks majority

Ergo, you live below 170 or east of Broadway

Do you feel like anti-gentrification groups and their propoganda lead to black people in your neighborhood resenting you?

>tfw no thicc booty Dominican gf from Waahington Heights

momofuku sux fgt

>washingtong height
Ftfy

Well yeah, I said I lived In Harlem, not Inwood or Washington Heights. I live close to Harlem Hospital, so it's pretty much right in the middle.

You know, I'm an Urban Planner, so I've studied a lot about this subject and it was a worry of mine when I first moved here, but the people where I live are some of the nicest and friendliest people I've ever known here.
2 weeks after I moved, people in my building and at my local stores and restaurants recognized me and some even knew my name. There are the occasional guys with megaphones doing the whole Nation of Islam Malcom X shit that have yelled at me, but they are pretty much restricted to 125th street and the Malcom X mosque on 116th.

Momofuku

Kek

Yeah as long as you don't snitch on people for being loud or smoking weed, I don't think people really have a problem

Harlem has white folk for years now anyway, and rent is even going up in NYC neighorhoods with no white people.

I wish I could love in the South Bronx and suck Puerto Rican and Dominican girls' asses

Momofuku is a meme, wouldn't advise.

Everything else seems good. Looked up St. Anselm, looks amazing.

If you have the money, Wolfgangs steakhouse. Get a reservation now. If not Peter Lugers

go to a ghetto ass bodega and order a fat sandwich

hey guys I'm going to NYC next week for vacation and I got an airBNB off University Ave and W174th st, is this a safe area?

West Bronx is OK. Kind of out of the way and not that convenient for subway access. Really cheapin' out, eh? Hotels in NYC are the cheapest they've been in a while, you can get a hotel in Chelsea for ~120.

Well I'm really just gonna sleep there so it's not a huge deal

I'm not cheap but I'd rather spend the money on other stuff

We might be coming home late at night though, will it be safe to walk home from the nearest subway station? I think it's relatively close to the 4 train.

Is it loud? My wife's son has trouble sleeping with loud noises.

Are you actually with a kid, or are you being an ebin memer? That part of the city is really quiet at night, but I think it definitely depends if you are ground floor or have a window facing the street, it should be safe before midnight, although I would minimize looking like a tourist, don't carry a camera.

Yes, my wife has a 6 year old son. I'm not quite sure where the apartment is situated, as long as it's not super loud (people blasting music at 3AM) he should be fine.

We won't really stand out aside from being white maybe.

I wonder if there are any neat food places near my airbnb though, it's hard to tell from google maps alone.

Yeah - old Williamsburg hipster here, now a yuppie in Bed-Stuy. Hipsters really stopped being a thing in 2008, at least in Williamsburg, because Manhattan decided they liked what hipsters did to neighborhoods and bought it all up.

Fette Sau is the same group as St Anslem, as is Speutenduvel, which if you're a beer nerd is incredible.

Fette Sau is not as good as it was 6 years ago though - it's like these guys can do ONE restaurant really well at a time. But still worth a visit.

This has already been dealt with. St Anslem, but you will have to wait. Having been to every famous steakhouse in NYC except Delmonico's, Anslem is the clear leader.

>Well I'm really just gonna sleep there so it's not a huge deal

Meh, you'll spend an hour or more each way on the subway. It's why people I know move to the Bronx, then immediately move back to the tri-boroughs.

If you're visiting, btw, do NOT carry a paper subway map. While NYC is safer than almost any place in the US, it still marks you as a tourist immediately. And the out of the way parts are very block by block - one block is fine, the next is not.

Use Google Maps, or download City Mapper instead. It'll do step by step anyways, and you won't get lost.

the subway stations all have maps from what I hear. I researched it anyway though, and it seems pretty easy.

I don't think where I'm staying is too terribly far from Midtown Manhattan, the 4 runs express once it gets to Manhattan.

>NYC is safer than almost any place in the US
HAHAHAHAHAHA
FULL fucking damage control

The South Bronx is no further from Manhattan than Western Brooklyn/Western Queens

Mott Haven is probably going to be gentrified in about 10 years or so

It's one of the safest big cities in the country, behind only San Diego.

Your only knowledge of NYC must be from Taxi Driver, or you're a sheltered white kid on Long Island whose parents tell you NYC is bad.

Every block is different about annoying neighbors, so keep that in mind and consider earplugs as an emergency option. Can't stop the noise of sirens, and you're somewhat close to I-95, one of the busiest interstates in the US.

Also, be careful about relying totally on the 4 train, as every weekend its been fucked up. Always know how to hail a cab, or at least have Uber on your phone.

>FULL fucking damage control
full ignorance

I might just take uber here and there, I don't think it will be too expensive.

So to my understanding, the demographics of this neighborhood is predominately Dominican, are you familiar with that cuisine at all?

>The South Bronx is no further from Manhattan than Western Brooklyn/Western Queens

Depends what you mean by Manhattan, I guess. If you're going to midtown, sure. If you're doing the EV/LES, or even Williamsburg/Rest of Lland, it gets pretty far.

Yeah I have family in Kensington Brooklyn, it's a very safe neighborhood but there are sirens at night all the time. It doesn't really bother me, but someone only used to the suburbs might be annoyed by it.

So is it you flyovers are fully aware you could never afford to live here, and are protecting your egos by pretending it's dangerous?

Or are you just a huge bunch of pussies that think seeing a non-white is being assaulted?

Either way, you're not good at stats it seems.

Yeah I mean Midtown and the UES

It's probably not even that bad of a trip to Union Square/EV

Shit, I went from Kensington to Mott Haven once and I didn't think it was THAT bad

>Your only knowledge of NYC must be from Taxi Driver

>implying one day a real rain won't come and wash away all the filth. And pile it up on Staten Island.

Probably both. Their perception of NYC is stuck in 1985, plus they might be racist and butthurt about the presence of minorities.

The Bronx is underrated as fuck, buying property in the parts closer to Manhattan would be very smart.

When I moved to Harlem, my grandparents were worried about me, because the last time they went to NYC was in fucking 1970 in a station wagon.

Meh, I'm waiting to buy myself, but I think everywhere in the 5 boroughs is overpriced right now.

The average rent is way above the average salary, to a psychotic degree. You also are beginning to see the luxury market top out of demand, as more buildings are coming online.

To me that means you'll have the political will to upzone massively, along with a big chunk of supply coming online. Which means prices fall, and lots of speculators panic sell. And that's when I want to buy.

haha I'm sure they were petrified

The funny thing is that those people who white flighted themselves out of NYC are now mostly stuck in boring suburbs, while the neighborhoods they moved out of are now up and coming, and have higher property values than most of the suburbs.

I kinda think it's all overpriced too, however if you were to buy a place in say, Melrose it would probably be a good investment.

I don't think it's gonna get any cheaper overall, I just think the higher end might cool off a little.

Yeah, I get you. However, sticking it out in places like Harlem in the 70's and 80's was really really tough because of the riots and the unreal amount of crime.

Also, don't forget "Ladies and gentlemen, the Bronx is burning"

t. flyover whose streets are patrolled by APC

bump

Uber in the city is more expensive than anywhere else I've seen. Wouldn't rely on it unless you're Mister Moneybags.

The other day I took an uber from Kensington to Flatbush and it was less than 5 bucks

But I'm sure going from Manhattan to anywhere else will be expensive.

I recommend taking the subway whenever possible if you're not a pussy or in terrible shape.

What are some good spots for West Indian food?

Maybe Mount Vernon. Ozone Park. Just, the kinds of places that take forever to get to, that you kind of regret going to once you're there.

What about Flatbush? It's pretty easy to get to if you live in Brooklyn or Lower Manhattan

There's a place in Nolita called Prince St. Pizza. It sells pizza by the slice, you should stop in and get a slice. It's really good.