Coffee Tips & Tricks

Hey co/ck/, any experianced coffee makers here?

How do you make good coffee without a machine?

Should we boil it or keep it below boiling temperature? For how long?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=u03J6E3jSxU
amzn.com/B005INDLM8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

French Press
18g coffee grounds per 500ml water
Heat the water until the steam stings you.
This will be considerably less than boiling point.
Add water to grounds and swish it around to bring out the foam head.
Brew for 3 minutes.

I'm pretty sure coffee is never supposed to boil.

Also starbucks makes some really great instant coffee, if you don't have a machine and don't feel like cleaning a gross pot of coffee grounds early in the morning.

>instant
that's not coffee
they even cut it with freeze-dried molasses to make it taste more palatable

Get a wife, force her to make good coffee in the morning. Beating a piece of property is your right.

Stop lying, it's just ground beans.

if it was ground beans, it wouldn't be instant

instant is freeze-dried pre-brewed coffee cut with various preservatives and sweeteners to make it taste less shit

Cheapest would be turkish/greek coffee.

add camel milk

I don't know how it works, I'm just saying it's coffee. There's no filler.

Keep drinking your molasses user.

There's no molasses.

whatever you say user

Oh, sweetie. No.

Sure. Molasses is a delicious sweetener!
Try to appreciate it's flavor sometime.

I was on a health kick where i had at least two large cups of hot water and molasses everyday, p sure I had heavy metal poisoning by the end of the month

of course you can boil it you retard, why do you put water in a coffee maker?? what do you think that water is doing??

>no boil
check
>few mins
check
>foam
check

im using pic related

smelled good when i opened it

>1:28 coffee water ratio
lmao that will be just a brown water

I remember when nescafe started selling coffee in "sticks", good times

>Ctrl+F
>moka
>Phrase not found
Seriously?

Just use regular ground coffee and a manual drip filter holder thing. Then pour boiling water over it, it's not rocket science.

>Moka pot.
>Preheat the water in an electric kettle.
A moka pot will overheat the coffee anyway but at least it doesn't spend as much time overheated this way.
>Use the smallest setting on the stove top.
>Stop the heat after about 2/3 of the water came up and it starts bubbling a bit.
This way the watery stuff that comes up at the end won't thin out the coffee.

This seems like the best thing i can get without an espresso machine.

hey, relax guy

im new to cra/ck/

I just bought an aeropress. Any recommendations for brew times? I followed the instructions that came with it (30-60 seconds press) and it made a really smooth cup of coffee

I just use french press.
> 1 coffeespoon per regular mug
>water when bubbling is heard but kettle isn't finished
>wait 30 seconds, stir with spoon
>wait 4 minutes, push down gently and smoothly, not fast
>dont leave in press for too long
That's how I make my coffee and get best flavour/effort ratio

I have a hario hand grinder and aeropress. Currently I'm just doing as fine as possible, bring water to near boiling, pour, stir, and then a ~45 second press.

What's the simplest thing I can do to improve without significantly complicating my workflow?

>that's not coffee

instant drunk by literally every colombian every single day of the year. they know a thing or two about coffee. they prefer it to expensive goofy ass specialty coffees and coffee beverages

>poor people can't even afford the coffee that grows in their own country

lmao

the thing is they largely can afford it and choose not to spend money on it. coffeefags in colombia bitch about how nobody understands what "real coffee" is there too.

the similarity in annoying hipster coffeefags is amazing. their douchebaggery is global.

>nstant drunk by literally every colombian every single day of the year
Who told you that?

Are you columbian?
No you're not.

Stop repeating marketing copy.

euromonitor. starbucks, fedecafe also had similar findings. total sales by volume is something like 60/40 with smallest growth in fancy drinks and premium beans.exports are also way up and young people are buying lots of instant which includes pods and discs--not just loose freeze-dried

>a marketing study determined that poor people buy cheap drinks
W O W
O
W

>wasting coffee

i bet you don't even brew your grounds twice.

colombian with two Os. you think fedecafe is trying to savage its own business? a ton of the beans used in instants are from asia and africa. take your reddit hail corporate shit outta here

>How do you make good coffee without a machine?

By finding the right balance between the amount of grounds and the amount of water.

Too many grounds and not enough water will result in under-extraction: sour taste.

Too much water and not enough grounds will taste watery, almost tea-like.

For example, don't completely fill the funnel of a moka pot with grounds. (Like in the pic.) Fill it only half way and you will not get sour/under-extracted coffee.

>boil it or keep it below boiling temperature

Below.

>For how long.

For french press, I like to leave it for six minutes.

enjoy your gourmét instant beverage then. i won't envy you when i sip on my espresso.

I like the inverted method. flip it upside down while it brews for 45 to 60 seconds, then close it and flip it and then push

>grind (good) coffee beans fine
>put ~1tbsp in cezve
>put hot water from electric kettle (some start cold)
>high heat, until it foams, x3
>pour or wait for it to settle
>optionally add cardamom, other spices

not feeling going back to 90s russia

Heating it. The water itself might boil, but by the time it has passed through the coffee maker tubes, and dripped onto the coffee grounds, it's significantly below boiling temperature.

Step one is to buy fresh whole bean coffee.

However you're making it doing just this step will improve things more than anything else. It's the floor for getting into coffee. Buy fresh.

Street vendors bring it to boil way too fast.

>fresh whole bean coffee

this is a meme
grinding right before brewing is a fucking placebo

I'm sorry bruv, but if I'm talking to someone that's ostensibly into coffee and they mention buying ground coffee I'll just walk away from the conversation.
It's actually not scientifically debatable. Even whole bean is fucking done in two weeks, tops.

It's not, but why bother actually looking into the chemistry when you can say it's a meme instead?

Debating a grinder purchase. Primarily for espresso.

Looking at either a Mahlkonig Tanzania or a LWW EG-1. Similar burrset, but the EG is certainly way more espresso focused in terms of usability. Cost quite a good bit more though. Will be replacing a Bunnzilla which I'll either keep around for brew with the Tanzania or selling off and using the EG-1 for both (since the EG has repeatable enough settings and comes apart for cleaning in a second).

>Coffee Tips & Tricks

Simple, drink tea.

Instead of acting like an elitist shit, you could at least prove that there's a difference in taste between hipster roasted fresh ground and fucking supermarket folgers.

>hipster roasted fresh ground
>hipster
Was that prefix really necessary?

It's illustrative

It displays your disposition.

i have a minipimer and was wondering if one could make that thicc milk they do to make cappucinos, so i went to youtube and found this gem:

youtube.com/watch?v=u03J6E3jSxU

now, really, is there a way to use a blender or minipimer to thick up the milk in a non retarded way?

>he doesn't enjoy both tea and coffee
>instead, he prefers to post about how one is better than the other on a colorful gook image forum

I've actually never seen done like that. Does using paper filters for individual cups get expensive?

Any advantage of this: (Luminarc of Jug) amzn.com/B005INDLM8

Over a Chemex?

And if Chemex is better is there anything better than a Chemex (not including an espresso machine).

You could but the grounds in cheese cloth or a sock

Bring the water to a boil the remove from heat

Put in the cloth or sock allow to steep for bout 20-30 ish minutes or you can cold brew with cold water ,allow 48 hours

bump

take milk
take quart container or some shit
add milk to container
cap it
shake like a mad cunt
shake more
keep shaking
foamy yet?
shake more
add to coffee

>how can something with oil go rancid
>how could cutting something up and exposing more of it's surface area to oxygen accelerate staling
>please explain
>i no understando
Jesus.

>Roast fresh beans from my senpaitachi plantation in Ethiopia
>Put heaps of it into french press.
>coffee done, throw into blender bottle
>asd 1tbsp of coconut oil
>Shake shake shake and voila

I wish i was kidding

Don't forget that buying good beans is also important. There is a coffee shop in my city centre that sells beans from a company called something similar to 'gold box in the roast' I'd find it if I looked. They have only 3 stores, the atmosphere is utter crap inside with £4 flapjacks, generic atmospheric music... I would never sit inside there, it's like half way between ikea and costa coffee and right below a callcentre.

The company they buy from just do large batches to coffee shops and I only know this is their supplier because I bought it before they started self branding and was served it in one of the companies branded bags/stickers, I just checked their site and they say its specially selected and their own blend now etc... I doubt that as it has not changed. It is the best coffee I have had, its £6 for 250g and they don't discount 1kg. It's better than the local coffee roasters who have 20-30 varieties and they provide really good coffee. I am actively seeking better coffee because someday I'm not going to be able to get this anymore.

I've bought some of these so called gourmet coffee beans and they have been immature beans, burnt. and taste awful to the point where I would prefer to drink instant.

You can make bad/bitter brewed coffee bearable by adding a small amount of salt. I don't like coffee with sugar, so I'm sure that might be OK too.

>adding coconut oil to your coffee
shiggy diggy my man

bump

what is the company supplier user
sounds nice

Am I the only one who really enjoys buying coffee from a cafe, even if the coffee isn't all that good? Maybe it's the atmosphere.

Is this bait? Maximum rate is 1:10, use any less ground and you end up with flavorless coffee.

fuck off, shill

why is it do hard to get good coffee in melbourne? :^)

You must be doing something wrong.
My coffee is plenty flavorful.

what is this witchcraft?

turkish coffee

easy to do at home, but unfortunately probably not on neat sand

>there's no cardamom
You're a fag.

i didn't make that infographic user

personally i am nosugarmode and hot water first

Dennis?

Does it matter at all if i use a manual or an electric grinder?

only if you value your time
manuals are a 10-minute affair

does that taste nice? i can't imagine it tasting nice.

coarsen the grind a few clicks and press after 60-90 seconds

>sip on my espresso

you're drinking it wrong

i'm guessing you're new to coffee so

>buy a manual grinder (hario is a good brand)
>once you're more experienced, get a good electronic burr grinder
>don't ever use a blade grinder

My half and half went rancid again.
Fuck this refrigerator.

I don't see how this is related to the thread.

this is the coffee thread, yes?

1. Good beans. Try a local farmer's market. The coffee lady I buy from roasts her beans one pound at a time. Worth the money.

2. Good water. This should be obvious.

3. French Press. Buy a bigger one than you think you need.

4. Burr grinder. Coarsely grind 5 tablespoons of beans. I had the formula in grams for how big the French press is but I forgot it when I realized that 19 grams or whatever it was precisely matched 5 tablespoons. Use a gram scale to be certain.

5. A themometer. Buy an instant-read with a probe on a wire.

6. OK. So bring your water to 204F.

7. Add the water to your French press with the ground fresh coffee in it

8. Use a wooden spoon to stir it

9. Put on the lid. Set time for four minutes.

10. Slowly lower the press to separate the grounds.

11. Enjoy some coffee.

Bonus points for having preheated a coffee mug and for having preheated an insulated travel mug which you can store your leftover coffee in.

Moka pot is great if you're camping.

>Coarsely grind 5 tablespoons of beans. I had the formula in grams for how big the French press is but I forgot it when I realized that 19 grams or whatever it was precisely matched 5 tablespoons.

idiot

>idiot

Thank you for your constructive comment. Perhaps you'd like to die screaming now?

This guy knows what's up.

aye, lived off a coffeemaker and store-label grounds, thought i'd give cold brewing a try.

Thanks for the advice

Probably the atmosphere.