Farming general?

I don't farm or have a food garden but i'd like to start one the next time I can, I was hoping to see if anyone else grew their own food and could help me out. Pic semi related

youll find results in >>/out/

i think they might even have this very general

I grew up on a large farm. I'll answer what questions I can (for a while, then it's time to go make dinner).

Yeah I wasn't sure where to put this

What kind of farm?

Depends where you live too. California is hard b/c drought and dry clay like soil where I live, also depends how much you want to spend. Use the Internet to find what you can grow where you live. I for example love the three sisters crops bc they compliment each other so well. Anyway you're soil is probably
-loose
-dry
-clay
-Sandy
-moist

Use those adjectives to find the right kind of crops to grow online.

We grew oats, wheat, alfalfa, sorghum, hay, corn, squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, melons, beans, pecans, peaches, grapes, pears, and raised cattle, sheep, and goats (and pigs for a while, but they're too much of a pain in the ass).

tell me everything you know about goats.

everything.

Where was this uh uhh, "farm", of yours

Goats are by far the easiest livestock to raise. They're nearly foolproof. That said, there are some things to be aware of.
>Even though they are wicked grazers, they need shelter to protect them at night and during inclement weather
>Again, even though they are wicked grazers, they still need feed, particularly in the winter
>As they will eat nearly anything, you want fences to keep them away from your yard and anything you don't want eaten. Also, be aware of what poisonous plants are around and get rid of them.
>They have to be dewormed - a goat with worms is easy to spot, they'll get a bloated stomach while still seeming to lose weight
>If you don't let them roam enough, they'll need to get their hooves trimmed. Free range is always best.
>Fence in areas where you have crops growing, they'll mow it all down. Even trees, I've had to pull goats down out of peach and pecan trees before. They'll eat the leaves off of any tree as far up as they can get.
>Billy goats are mean, stubborn, smelly, and a pain in the ass. If you want to breed your nannies, hire a stud to come and breed with them. You do not want to deal with a billy goat full time.
>When goats are getting ready to give birth, you need to pen them so the goat kids can be protected. Newborn goats are in a stupor-like state for the first couple days and are easy targets for predators. Even billy goats will stomp them.
>That said, there's nothing more amazing, wonderful, and heartwarming on earth than a baby goat. They are the softest, sweetest creatures imaginable.
>Goats are smart
>Goats will eat your clothes while you are wearing them
>Do not leave goat in an area that gets standing water when it rains, they get hoof rot
>The main design flaw with goats is that they are easily shocked and can die at the drop of a hat. Never "run" your goats. Do not chase them, walk them. When transferring them in a trailer from place to place, be gentle with them.

Texas

thanks user. goats sound excellent.

That may not help so much, considering I live in southeastern wisconsin

You're welcome. Goats are excellent. Besides cattle, they are my most favorite livestock.

Well, other than climate and soil conditions, the principles of farming are the same everywhere.

Oh ok

>oats, wheat, alfalfa, sorghum, hay, corn, squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, melons, beans, pecans, peaches, grapes, pears,
How many acres you cunt?
My family had prized cattle on 40 and across from us was a SMALL farmer with 2 quater sections of wheat and barley.

>general

Just over 2600 acres. That enough for you, faggot? You're small time.

Also, 40 acres for "prized" cattle? How many did you have? 12? It takes 3 acres per cow to raise anything remotely healthy.

200 head dairy farmer checking in

What do you do with the old cows...

This is an brilliant post. You magnificent bastard.

We had 14 acres as kids growing up in New Zealand, had 20+ cattle and a flock of 40+ sheep.
We constantly moved them around and fed them hay or silage in the winter. They were all happy and healthy.

Well i live on a farm and we have 200 cattle at a time on about 40 acres at a time, and i live in the country with the strictest
animal husbandry rules in the world. Do you know about farming at all?

I'm not the guy you're replying to, and I fully admit I know little about farming.

but that said, what does legal compliance have to do with what is actually best for the animals (or best for the finished beef). You might be 100% legally compliant but that doesn't meant the laws are actually correct. Laws often have little to do with actual reality.

Of course, thats correct. But i have never heard of a profiting farm that has grazing cows with 3 acres per cattle, it's absurd. it simply wouldnt work having any amount of animals on a 3 acres per animal rule and still have it be profitable.

>40+ girlfriends
FTFY

So, you live on a feed lot. Nice.

>New Zealand,
Cuck

Of course it is. My family has been farming and ranching that way for 5 generations. My father (who is the oldest now, and in charge of everything) makes extremely good profit, the family lives a very nice lifestyle. My grandfather (RIP) was a cattle baron (his main business was cattle dealing), and made himself very weathy, while free range ranching his own herds.
It's not cheap to do things right, but it's worth it, and the quality of the meat and the quality of life and the profit is worth it. I don't think you know as much as you claim to.

Also, the 3 acre rule is only for cattle. It's much smaller for goats or sheep. It's not a blanket rule.