I am going to make salmon stew tonight. What goes well with salmon? I am thinking about using bell peppers and tomatoes

I am going to make salmon stew tonight. What goes well with salmon? I am thinking about using bell peppers and tomatoes.

Green Asparagus
Peas, Chickpeas
Lentils
Mushrooms

Garnish with trout caviar, fresh chopped dill, a scoup creme fraiche

Thanks. I'll try Dill, mushrooms and creme fraiche.

Going to buy groceries now.

Good luck, post pics!

Going with bell peppers and tomatoes is very similar to an Iberian fisherman's stew made with tuna (usually the tail). Here's how I'd do it:

Fry onion and bell pepper in olive oil. Add garlic and a small potato cut into cubes. Add salt, paprika, tomatoes and a little white wine (for tuna they use red, but for salmon I'd go with a dry Chardonnay). let simmer until potatoes are cooked. Add salmon at the end, and cook for just a couple minutes (so it doesn't fall to pieces). Serve garnished with a little chopped parsley and the rest of the wine. Bread and salad would go well with it.

Fuck, I have some wild caught salmon in my freezer. I may have to do this soon as well.

Not him, but sounds noice.

With tuna and red wine it's fucking delicious. Got the recipe from Luard's European Peasant Cookery book, which is a great read, even if you're only likely to try making a few of the recipes in there. I hadn't thought to adapt it for salmon until OP suggested something similar, but it ought to be great.

Maybe use dill instead of parsley...

Dill against stewed tomato and bell pepper? That's a lot of strong flavor going up against the salmon. Salmon and dill is fucking classic, but I'd hold back with so many other flavors (including paprika) going on.

If I were doing a simple white wine sauce I'd be all over the dill though.

OP here, this is what I am working with (and whine) Should I lose the paprika and/or tomato?

OP here. Also I am not a big fan of white whine, will I like it if it is the main part of my sauce? I may just make a spicy sauce. Thoughts?

The alcohol cooking off the wine will neutralize some of the acid from the tomatoes. Should be good, just remember the higher your wine/tomato ratio the thinner your stew will be. I'd go with some paprika to thicken and however much dried chili you want for spice. (I'd think th sweeter your bell pepper and onion the more spice you could get away with).

Good point. I also have a lemon to neutralize some of the spicyness if needed. I dont know how it will affect the taste of my stew. Also I added some small cubes of potato.

>>alcohol is a base

You failed chem class, didn't you?

With wine and tomatoes you probably won't need lemon, unless the salmon is super fatty farmed stuff. I'd put a wedge on the side of the plate when serving and judge then.

Cubes of potato are good. Make sure potato is done before adding the fish, because fish will go from cooked to falling apart all over the place in a matter of minutes. You don't want that.

Still standing by my recommendation of thickening it with a little paprika.

Godspeed.

Is it just me or do all of these suggested ingredients sound like a terrible combo with salmon, with the sole exception of dill?

Dude, just make a cream of salmon soup like any sensible human being.

Already sliced my paprika up

Oh, and potatoes. Those are all right.

OP here. Are these portions about right? I am quite an inexperienced cook (except for desserts).

You'd better get a separate cutting board for fish, my man.

In English "Paprika" refers only to the dry powdery spice. Pic related.

He means the american paprika, the bittersweet powder.

I meant the bell pepper. I am dutch and the dutch word for bell pepper is paprika

He doesn't work in a commercial kitchen and he uses plastic. I think he's gonna be alright.

Yeah. I should

Why? He's making a stew. All the ingredients go into the same cooking pot, therefore it's impossible to cross-contaminate.

As long as he washes the board before cutting up something that will be served raw it's not a problem.

Take a look at that cutting board. It's covered in rather deep-looking cuts. Those are prime real estate for all kinds of nasty shit.

I don't mean to derail the thread, here.

Alcohol does not neutralize acid. Alcohol cooking off does. That's why vodka sauce doesn't curdle when you add the cream.

I am asking a question about portions and people debate the cleanliness of my cutting board. Nice. Whatever I'll start cooking now.

All of which is totally irrelevant, assuming that OP properly washes his board. That's a plastic board. Assuming that OP washes it with bleach or throws it in the dishwasher it's no problem.

Besides which, why "separate for fish"? Any raw food can contaminate any other raw food. It's not as if vegetables are any less likely to harbor "nasty shit" than fish is.

You do that. Priorities, eh?

I'm gonna stop posting now.

Fish cut that small is gonna cook in under a minute. Looks good though. And by paprika I meant adding some of this
to thicken as well.

>Alcohol cooking off does.

That doesn't "neutralize" anything. It's just the alcohol leaving. It has nothing to do with acid.

Done. I hope it tastes well. It looks slightly different then what I thought it would like it.

Looks pretty good. How's it taste?

Thanks. It takes pretty good. Maybe it would be better if the sauce was thicker but it turned out quitte well. Thanks Coo/ck/s