Why is food and cooking portrayed so pretentiously in media? Vid related...

Why is food and cooking portrayed so pretentiously in media? Vid related, the movie treats a grilled cheese like a fucking souffle.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yGL5GvL1tME
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

pick a forum, asshole. /tv/ or Veeky Forums, not both.

I've never seen that movie, but the last time it was posted here it was pretty clear that it was an important scene to the plot, which makes perfect sense.

I haven't seen cooking portrayed pretentiously any more than any other sort of portrayal. My guess is that you're trolling.

Cry harder, dumbass. This is a post about food on the food board.

The purpose of the scene is to establish character points and build the relationship between the father and son. Dad is just like any normal dad grilling a cheese for his kid except his career is food, so were he to give his kid a kraft single on wonderbread we would say "hey this guy gives no fucks about his son OR his profession." By showing the care and dedication he has for both his craft and his progeny we learn something about the character. Also if he were to make something elaborate we might think he was pretentions himself, since like most kids his son probably prefers a grilled cheese and his father is fulfilling the request

This nigger gets it

Thank you.

didn't read a word of this

then you are in the wrong thread, perhaps the wrong board

Only in America, because to place cooking into the luxury column encourages people to think eating fast food is normal.

I dunno, people are weird about grilled cheese
youtube.com/watch?v=yGL5GvL1tME

OP here, I just want to murder the dad and rape the son

Huh?

pedophile murderers out REEEE

this
Food and cooking is not portrayed pretentiously by the media. I think you're confusing an appreciation for good things and taking the craft involved in preparing them seriously. In a world where you can get a pizza for $5, a burger for $1.50 or just say fuck it and eat another fucking turkey sandwich the only people who are going to give a shit are pros, the wealthy and those serious about food as a hobby.These are the people who talk about what this chef is doing at their new place, the nuances of making your own kimchi and winemaking styles. If you think you're a big boy because you just graduated from BBQ sauce to honey mustard for dipping your tendies these people may seem pretentious. And some of them are, of course,because anything that inspires connoisseurship is going to attract pretentious people. But respect for food and cooking is not pretentious. It just seems jarringly out of place in a world where most people eat fast food on a regular basis or just heat up prepared meals in the microwave.

Then why is the father feeding his son poison, is he ignorant or uncaring? Why not prepare him a proper meal? He could have made him some eggs, oatmeal, fruit, fish, vegetable, various nuts, ...

Try harder

>maining Veeky Forums

>throw oil, butter, white bread, and bargain cheese into a melting mess
>WA LA
I want to get off the United States' Wild Ride.

>hey guys I can't just ignore shitposts because I need to make it ABSOLUTELY CLEAR that I haven't been rused haha I sure showed everyone else how clever I am lol

>eggs: cholesterol and fat kill
>oatmeal: is this gluten free? Also, I can't handle fiber and people always add sugar to it in some form
>fruit/vegetables: what wax or pesticide or weird shit was involved in this?
>fish: Daddy how much mercury did it say I was allowed to have? Why are there worms in it?
>nuts: I thought Veeky Forums said fat is bad even if it has protein daddy

people should be informed that their posts are unwelcome and transparent at the same time

Ah, a true cross-board patrician. Veeky Forums and /tv/ need more anons like you.

ck would be just fine without tv posters

Nice analysis

>fat
>cholesterol
>bad

I'm copying what Veeky Forums posts so you're not hurting me by saying that in response. Reply to all of them.

it's called soufflé

maybe because the film is fucking called CHEF

Thanks. It's a matter of standards. If your baseline is one thing and others have a different standard (particularly one you may associate with a different social class) you may see them as pretentious. Because if you were to suddenly adopt those standards it would be pretentious. But that doesn't mean aspiring to better is inherently pretentious - that's pretty much what the movie Ratatouille was about. You can honestly aspire to higher standards, even if your peers don't get it and still not be pretentious.

>pretentious
Nah, he's just making a sandwich and you're being autistic about it.

Remember, in the US if you do anything with care and attention to detail it's pretentious. Slopping things together because 'ain't nobody got time fo' dat' is the nigg- er, American way.

Everyone brings up this scene but its a shitty grilled cheese, it has some bargain pre sliced cheese on wonderbread, just because he cooks it on a plancha doesnt make it artisan or show off proper technique.

Anyone worth their mustard knows that the best grilled cheeses have the cheese itself form a crust on the outside from leaking out of the pan, which is achieved by using grated cheese and curd, pre sliced cheese is garbage tier.

I could make a better grilled cheese in a 1 dollar teflon pan.

>>/reddit/

>in the US if you do anything with care and attention to detail it's pretentious
Completely untrue. It's just that depending on your social class in the US the standards of your peers might be very poor, because culturally we do place a higher value on cheap and plentiful than refinement.

But there's no way a significant number of the world's best restaurants would manage to stay in business here if there weren't a class of people who actually give a shit. They're just a minority.

wtf i hate jon favreau now

Because fat American jew.

>cheese itself form a crust on the outside from leaking out of the pan,

1) Pig disgusting.

2) Easily achieved by using sliced cheese. I've had it happen by accident on numerous occasions.

I do agree that pre-sliced cheese is shit tier though.

Watching someone do something well is a pleasure, and everyone likes watching food be cooked. It's a natural intersection of the two.

I haven't seen whatever movie this is from, but I'd imagine the fact that it's just a sandwich for his son is a "play on method" and sets a tone for the character and the movie.

Pretension is what you make it, and even under ideal circumstances it's a pretty meaningless word. As a viewer you have two choices - one, you can create an arbitrary expectation and blow a gasket every time something plays against it. Or two, you can take things as they are within the given context, and accept whatever enjoyment there is to be had.

Protip; you probably don't have anything interesting or meaningful to say, and you clearly understand very little of what goes around you. Choose wisely.

Part of the point is the absurdity of watching a trained chef at home preparing a grilled cheese for his child, who barely notices his father's efforts. It's like watching a professional musician sing Happy Birthday at their kid's party, or watching a famous artist fingerpainting with their five year old. Or a fimlmaker directing his kid's school play.

I think it triggers people's autism because they don't get the humor of watching a trained pro go about the most pedestrian task at home as if he were at work. It's funny.

>>>/other/

Even if the movie wasn't about a chef who cares too much about cooking, cooking is portrayed in a fashionable manner because it's the fucking job of the filmmakers to make the events unfolding look interesting. There's nothing inherently fascinating about spreading butter on bread so they have to take advantage of film as a visual medium