Vgg general

Where's my vegetarian / vegan bros at

They don't have the stamina to finish typing the url.

>vegan
>bro
That is statistically improbable as 78% of vegans are women. Really. Look it up.
59% of vegetarians are women.
Vegans are 3× more likely to be female than male. Also, while current research predicts that about 8% of the population is homosexual, a staggering 37% of vegan males are gay and 100% are faggots.

This thread has been brutal

>being vegetarian/vegan
>ever

hahahhahahahahahaha

I'm about 80% vegan.

I'm a Nutritarian.

Do I count?

>Where's my veg...

Stopped reading right there, please consider suicide

Definitely. If you eat anything less processed than spray can "cheese" and cocoa puffs soaked in artificially strawberry flavored UHT pasteurized skim milk, you're basically a PETA extremist around these parts

I get shouted off threads regularly for buying non-CAFO meat and local vegetables, the fatties around here just can't handle it

I am considered by others to be a vegan and I fully support veganism, and while I don't consider myself to be one technically, I might as well be

>I hate nutrients almost as much as I hate not being special

Vegans.

No you aren't.
No you don't.
No you aren't.

You are, however, a cunt. See to it that you stick to tumblr from now on.

I'm here every day, posting in most threads other than fast food, youtube celebrity spam, and alcoholism threads (although I post a fair amount in the alcohol threads)

I've probably taught you quite a bit about food, cooking, and the finer things in life

I'm sorry you're triggered by people who have higher standards on what they'll willingly eat, but that's your issue, not mine

I lurk Veeky Forums every day too user. Stay gold brotha

>it's this fag again

tofu tempeh seitan tvp

which is most cost effective for protein?

White, AP flour. So seitan, I guess.
10lbs of white flour costs $3 and provides 499g of protein.
3 blocks of firm tofu also cost $3 and provide only 27g of protein.

3lbs of beans also cost $3 and provide 294g of protein.

I don't know how much TVP costs as I've never bought it.

How expensive is going vegan, realistically, also if I would be looking to continue with Veeky Forums type gains and macro ratios?

>eating plants

NOW

YOU FUCKED UP

You'd have to radically overhaul your diet and be prepared to spend all your time cooking and sourcing ingredients

It's not impossible but it's a ridiculous amount of work

honeyville

17,106.94g protein in 44lbs = 89.56g protein per $1

the rest would just be to fill up calories so anything else. the protein i mix with frozen bananas and frozen strawberries with some splenda

soybean protein isolate

nah

This is your typically Veeky Forumser, you hardly see any vegans here. They have found other pastures.

Do you also masturbate in public?

All purpose flour is 166g of protein per dollar. (^:
And making it into seitan isn't difficult.

Cool thanks

its extra work whereas its very easy to add this protein powder to existing shakes and used as an easy additive

>muh meat
kys murderer

Hey!!

Didn't think I'd find a single person, was testing waters to see if there were vegetarians or vegans in the first place.

Surprises me with all the typical Veeky Forums banter that I'd find

Fair enough. Homemade seitan is still the cheapest vegan source of protein. It seems kind of a waste, though: you buy 10lbs/4,5kg of flour to result in only about 1,5lbs/670g of seitan.

what about just buying vital wheat gluten?

He's a troll who thinks he's better than everyone.

He seems alright, maybe you're in a different mindset towards his opinions / diet

Nice samefagging.

Why are you so out of control mad that someone is better than you? I'd think you'd have a great deal of experience with that feeling.

>You'd have to radically overhaul your diet and be prepared to spend all your time cooking and sourcing ingredients
lol
>How expensive is going vegan, realistically, also if I would be looking to continue with Veeky Forums type gains and macro ratios?
Depends on how you do it, and what you consider the best macro ratios for you.
>expensive
If you go to the grocery store and buy a bunch of pre-package organic non-gmo gluten-free gourmet nonsense designed to taste like some non-vegan meal, it's gonna get real expensive real fast.
If you buy whole, natural foods - in bulk when possible, non-exotic when possible - it's actually pretty cheap. My grocery bill went noticeably down when I figured out how to do veganism the smart way, and before going vegan I wasn't living large, just eating a lot of boxed meals and frozen pizzas, etc. My bills went from tolerably cheap to really cheap.
>macro ratios
Depends on what your ideal is. Right now I hover at around ~60% carbs, ~25% protein, ~15% fat. Those numbers can be pretty malleable, for the most part. It's an old meme that you can't get much protein on a vegan diet, but that's pretty easy to take care of since there are a ton of high-protein vegan foods that come cheap these days. If you're going to be eating whole foods, it can be a little bit harder to get your fats up above 20% cheaply, as you'd have to eat a lot of nuts and seeds. Carbs are obviously easy to get as high as you want.

Don't let Veeky Forums dissuade you from trying out a vegan diet, if that's an idea you'd like to experiment with. Really, this is a bad place to ask about it, since Veeky Forums knows dick about nutrition and vegan diets.

can't help you with Veeky Forums but being vegan shouldn't be expensive. a lot of vegetables, rice and beans are pretty cheap (especially buying in bulk). the misconception that being vegan is expensive comes from the fact that vegan specialty products (gourmet fake meats and cheeses) are expensive. but these are by no means necessary and your intake of them should be limited anyway. also people assume you have to eat ~organic~ which has little to do with being vegan

femininity helps you care for the weak, such as animals.

proud to be a sociopathic brute?

beans. dried, if you have

Why the fuck would it be expensive? Meat and dairy are expensive as shit. Rice and beans and frozen vegetables are cheap.

This meme needs to die.

There's always protein powder if you really need it.

Pey'j sure let himself go.

Meat and dairy are actually filling, is why they're at such a premium. To buy enough vegetables to actually fill you, you'd have to buy the amount you would buy on one filling steak. As for eating rice and beans, while filling, they're actually not as nutritionally balanced if you just had them as a side to a moderate portion of meat.

What does nutritionally balanced mean here?

Complexity of proteins, carbohydrates, and vitamins. Just eating a shitload of beans and rice to get full isn't healthy, it's actually taxing on your body.

>it's actually taxing on your body.

Says who?

if you have to take a vegan multi its not nutritionally complete bro

It's a single vitamin. You could just have a cup of fortified "milk" if you hate pills.

I don't see how this is taxing on your body.

>caring is feminine
Trump pls

>Meat and dairy are actually filling,
>is why they're at such a premium

If you can even find it regularly, VWG is more expensive.
Even if you buy the two in bulk, AP flour is still cheaper.

If you don't want to go with AP, though, because it's messier to make seitan from it rather than from VWG, Hodgson's Mill is a manufacturer of VWG that can occasionally be found for cheap but, again, only if buying in bulk. The cheapest I've found it would be just over 181g of protein per dollar, but you'd have to buy several pounds at a time.
By contrast, if buying in bulk, protein from AP flour can be had for way less, 277g for $1.

But then, since the vast majority of western vegans/vegetarians have no idea how to cook and are generally incredibly lazy, telling them to make their own seitan is like herding cats. And don't try to tell me you're not lazy. I've never known a group of people so dedicated to eating out at restaurants and buying ready meals and dinner kits more than vegetarian westerners and I've known, dated and lived with no small number of them.
They're disgustingly lazy and tend to have no kitchen skills at all.

>lol
>but it depends
No, you just don't understand the question

A person doing intensive weight training needs more protein than a sedentary person like you

For example if I get less than 80-100g per day my progress comes to a halt

If you're on a meat based diet you *will* need to radically overhaul your cooking and shopping in order to get enough protein on a vegan diet

Your only recourse now is to bleat about how that's too much protein

i don't eat 'meat'(unless you include fish), but see no reason to cut out eggs, milk, fish and go fully vegan

vegetarian here. just had some brc burritos from el polo loco. that shits the shit

>general

I have a stupid question.
What's it called when ur vegan but still eat fish? I mean no eggs, no dairy, no meat but fish.

a phony

pescategan? lol

Pescatarian. Even if this doesn't differentiate those who do and don't consume dairy, the term still applies. If it comes up you can just clarify further.

Ok. Was just checking in case there was already a word for it. Thx m8

Masculinity helps us maintain a society where you won't be dominated into submission by those who are temporarily weak, only because they lack numbers. Not all weakness is worth caring for.

Chicken, eggs and dairy are actually very cheap sources of protein.

The only sources which clearly beat them seem to be oats and split peas. Added benefit, they are not poison when not boiled (ie. much lower lectin amount than beans).

They're cheap because of subsidies and irresponsible practices that will fuck us over in the long run, such as nontherapeutic antibiotics abuse

If you buy reasonable meat and not horrible CAFO garbage it's more expensive than legumes and so on

I had a nice tofu scramble at a local diner, and I was surprised it was on the menu, since this is the kind of place that serves chicken and waffles. That and a bit of Cholula, side of potatoes, very filling. I think it was the first time I'd ever eaten asparagus for breakfast.

>meat, dairy and eggs are only beat out by oats and split peas in terms of price v protein content
lolno
See By contrast, the cheapest I can find chicken is 30¢/lb for frozen leg quarters sold in 10lb bags. The edible portion weight of leg quarters is just a little over 59.1%, so for every dollar you spend on the chicken, assuming there's no saline in it to bloat its salable weight, you're also throwing away a little over 40¢.
Anyway, that's 242g of protein per dollar, about equal to (though a little less than) bulk-bought AP flour. That's assuming, of course, that the chicken isn't pumped with any saline (impossible) and that you can also find chicken as cheaply as I can (unlikely).
Eggs, by contrast, are more expensive for protein: 72g per dollar.
And dairy is even costlier.

The fact is, as much as you may hate to admit it, vegan proteins are far cheaper than any other if the vegans themselves aren't lazy fucks about it, though they usually are.

>if the vegans themselves aren't lazy fucks about it, though they usually are.
Some people actually have jobs and aren't into spending 3/4 of their waking hours soaking and treating legumes so they can be edible, but I realize that most of us around here are NEETs so making things as inefficient as possible is a mark of pride

>b-but if you plan ahead and muh pressure cooker and muh slow cooker
Yeah and if you don't plan ahead then you have nothing to eat, oops! So much for being a vegan!

>throwing away a little over 40¢.

Only if you're a retard. Chicken legbones make fantastic stock, which you can then use to make soups and sauces.

>aren't into spending 3/4 of their waking hours soaking
You do realize you don't have to watch them soak, right? Soaking beans takes no time really, just planning. Dump the beans into a bowl of cold water in the evening. Takes 30 seconds tops. Then cook them the next day.

>>Yeah and if you don't plan ahead then you have nothing to eat
How is that different than any other sort of diet? Do you really just go eat out at restaurants because you didn't plan your meals? Sounds a) expensive and b) like a waste of time.

Says I. The only thing that bothers me about veganism is all the stories I've heard about vegetarians and vegans becoming extremely sick until they have eggs, or broth, or some other animal product. Personally I can't try the diet until I'm healthy... I've got rocky mountain spotted fever and it's not a good idea to take a risk like that. My dad almost died of the flu in a hospital until they said to him, "Have some chicken bouillon" and it saved him. So until someone figures out just what it is about animal products that are so good for us, I don't think going vegan is healthy.

>Yeah and if you don't plan ahead then you have nothing to eat, oops!

congrats

this is the dumbest post on Veeky Forums right now

>You do realize you don't have to watch them soak, right? Soaking beans takes no time really, just planning
See , your "point" has already been pre-empted

>How is that different than any other sort of diet
With meat and cheese, I can literally just reach into the fridge and have bountiful easy cooked food. There's more post-cleanup with cross contamination and all that, but I'm up and running within an hour of getting home from work, regardless of whether or not I autistically laid out the beans 48 hours prior and changed the water twice

>a waste of time
Yeah kind of like veganism. You think all those "lazy losers" who eat junk food do it because it's cool? No, they do it because in the real world, veganism is a lot more work than it sounds like, unless, of course, you are NEET

>With meat and cheese, I can literally just reach into the fridge and have bountiful easy cooked food

You're comparing a pre-prepared food vs. one made fresh. That's silly. A vegan could easily reach into the fridge and grab a fruit or veggie that can be eaten raw. Or they could grab leftovers.

>> who eat junk food do it because it's cool?
No, I think it's because:
1) they've never had good food, so junk food tastes good to them since they've never had a basis of comparison
2) they don't know how to cook, so they automatically assume it's some complex process that takes ages for even the simplest of tasks. That's silly.

We have more free time in this day and age than humans ever have before. the problem is that we tend to fill it up with stupid bullshit like posting on facebook, playing pokemon, twitter, etc, than focusing on what's more important. And that's true regardless of if we're talking a vegan diet or a "normal" one.

BTW, I'm not defending the idea of a vegan diet. But I think it's BS to claim that it's automatically complicated or impractically time consuming. Veganism has a lot of problems, but that's not one of them.

>You're comparing a pre-prepared food vs. one made fresh
I have no idea what you're trying to say here. Which one is "made fresh" and which is "pre-prepared"?

Also, nearly every "problem" with veganism is directly related to practical problems with ingredient sourcing and preparation

>Which one is "made fresh"
"laid out the beans 48 hours prior and changed the water twice"

>and which is "pre-prepared"?
"With meat and cheese, I can literally just reach into the fridge"
...I assumed you were grabbing pre-cooked meat out of the fridge, but if you're eating it raw more power to you.

Because it takes an hour to take pre-cooked meat out of a box? No wonder we're not connecting. I cook and you don't.

Not a bad idea, but the bones from 10lbs of chicken leg quarters will only yield about 2 quarts/litres of stock, adding 48g of protein total or 16g of protein per dollar or 258g of protein total per dollar assuming you can find chicken for 30¢/lb and assuming the chicken isn't pumped with saline, both of which are unlikely.

>if you don't plan ahead, you have nothing to eat!
This is why you keep canned beans. I'm not vegan myself (I'm the one who quoted the chicken prices at you), but most of the native cuisine I grew up with is vegetarian and the vast majority of it can be made vegan by the simple omission of cheese, so I know a thing or two about tasty vegan cookery.
If it's a day where I'm not having meat but don't have beans cooked-from-dry already in the fridge, I just pop downstairs to the basement and grab a tin of beans. I buy them in bulk by the case. The cheapest I've found was 29¢ per can, if buying in bulk, for "salad beans," which are just chickpeas, kidney beans and navy beans mixed together. If you can't find such a low price, you can generally find off-brand canned beans for about 59¢ or so. It's always a good idea to have a few around, even if you're not vegetarian or culturally adhere to a vegan/vegetarian diet much of the time.
And if you're out of beans and wheatmeat, fine, have some non-bean veg instead. I do often. Or order in or get takeaway.
All the same, don't pretend that planning meals for a vegetarian is any different than for us omnivores. It's just not.

The problem with flour is density, unless you put the work in to make your own Seitan.

Ah, OK, you're talking about getting meat out of the fridge and then cooking it.

How is that any less time consuming than taking a vegan ingredient out of the fridge and cooking it?

And as far as your beans example goes, you're exaggerating in the highest order. I often cook using dried beans. Works like this:
Night before: spend 30 seconds to dump the beans into a bowl of water.
Next day: dump beans into pressure cooker. Cook. Done in less than 30 minutes.

Again, I'm not defending Veganism. I think it's silly. But to claim that it somehow requires an impractical amount of work is just plain nuts. It's no faster or slower than cooking any other type of diet.

pesco-vegetarian, i consider it to be the humans natural diet

see Making raw seitan is only about 20 minutes of work. Preparing it for use thereafter is only another 20 minutes or so. There is, however, an overnight soak involved, but that's not active time.
You can make a 5lb sack of AP flour into roughly 11.5oz of seitan, which has the protein equivalence of roughly 2.8lbs of raw chicken breast.
Of course, will complain that this takes planning, but so does eating meat. You want meat and cheese to put into a sandwich, you have to plan to have meat and cheese to put into a sandwich. Refrigerators don't magically have meat and cheese in them at all times. If you don't make your own seitan, you can buy it already made, just as can do with ham and cheddar.
The difference is that making your own seitan is easier, less labour intensive and less time consuming than making your own ham and cheddar. And buying seitan is no more difficult than buying ham and cheddar.
There is literally no difference in preparation and shopping access for vegetarians and vegans.

And I'm speaking as an omnivore who's about to have some delicious bolognese for lunch. And not a vegetarian bolognese, either.

Omnivorous seitan advocate here.
I've never soaked beans in my life. Except chickpeas.
Why do you soak beans? I've never noticed much a difference in cook time between what I experience cooking unsoaked beans (40ish minutes) and what you guys say it takes you to cook your soaked beans (30ish minutes).

Also, do you cook large amounts of beans at once, plain, to use in multiple different meals during the week as I do or do you cook your beans all at once for use in one dish only?

>Why do you soak beans?
They cook faster, and it removes some of the chemicals which give you flatulence.

>>do you cook large amounts of beans at once, plain,

Never. Beans cooked "plain" don't taste very good. I always cook beans in stock, and with aromatic vegetables thrown in. There is also usually a smoked or cured pork product involved. For example: bacon, smoked hocks or neckbones, country ham, ham bone, etc.

I often do large batches and then eat portions of it throughout the week, reheated.

We've two different bean philosophies, then.
Say I cook a pot of four servings of kidney beans plain on Monday, yeah? Well, Tuesday, I might make a portion into a curry. Thursday, I might make a portion into a pair of veggie burgers. Saturday, I'll make a portion into rice and beans with kale. Come Monday again, I might eat the last portion as part of a salad or in a chili or something.

The beans themselves are plain, but the final dish they go into never is. You make a final dish from the get go and eat it throughout the week, which is cool.
>beans and meat
I seldom do that unless I'm cooking black-eyed peas. I like smoked turkey drums in it, but smoked pork knuckles are more flavourful. I like that the turkey drums are meatier, though.

Did you seriously just claim that preparing dry beans is analogous to putting pre sliced deli meat between two slices of bread? Kill yourself.

Did you seriously just showcase your 'tard tier reading comprehension skills? lrn2comprehend

I didn't mean to imply that I always ate the same dish every week, but rather that I always cook beans with a specific dish in mind.

To use your example, if I wanted to eat those same dishes during a week, I'd cook a fresh batch of beans for each one, because the seasonings are different for each of those dishes and beans taste better when they're cooked with the seasoning rather than having the seasoning added after they are already cooked.

Sometimes I cook a small batch for one meal. Other times I'll make a larger batch and eat over multiple meals. But I always cook the beans in the seasoning that matches the dish rather than making plain beans and then seasoning them after they've been prepared.

I get it.
My family (and most people, I think) do the same.

>all these carnists looking for street cred by mentioning they eat meat
No one asked

tins of beans and microwave brown rice- high protein high carb (the combo of legume and whole grain makes a complete protein). UK fag here and 1 tin of beans is 39p and one pack of microwaveable rice is 50p that equals one meal obviously add spinach or brocolli or whatver veg you want to it (and sauces)

Oats and fruits for breakfast

Hummus and vegan protein shake for evenings.

Fuck immitation meats/tofu/seitan etc legumes and whole grains are where its at for gains.

Exactly 88 comments as I first saw this thread.
Where are the Veganaryanmasterrace anons at?