What's the last bread you made?

I just made this white wheat sourdough. Came out alright. Sliced half for freezing.

Watered the flour last night, added starter around noon, put it in the oven at night for an hour. Lots of steam and lowered heat after 20 minutes.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/TGZWXlwcKu4
youtube.com/watch?v=9NSm2FMxMCU
allrecipes.com/recipe/22451/amish-bread/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

And then I made dinner with it.

I last made bread like a year ago
It was a "pumpkin spice" bread
For a QT3.14 I had to hopes to nail.
It worked, eventually.
We need science to find out why "Pumpkin Spice" turns girls into sluts

Did she fart? I bet it smelt like pumkin bread. Silly cute girl farts :)

Girls don't fart homo

This one was nice.

Rye

Holy shit. I want to be able to make bread so bad. Not a big bread eater, but I have the urge for good tamales, pyrogies, bao, or other stuffed goodies.

If it's not a drop biscuit or skillet cornbread, I'm just a sticky mess. Got any beginner tips for someone who just makes grain paste? Holy shit it's everywhere, any type of four or recipe I do, flouring the surface (wood, plastic cutting board, counter), or anything like that, I lose almost 1/3 of the dough to sticking to other bullshit.

Still trying to make pumpernickel. Third attempt in three weeks.

Lookin' good!

It's a process. Hydration turns into oven spring, so sticky is good. Takes some patience though, I still get annoyed by it sometimes. The good thing about most doughs is that you can always start over, just scrape it off and make a pile.

Here's last week's #2 attempt. I tried to be "authentic" with this one and use nothing but 100% rye flour and baked it for 16 hours, but I learned the value of fermentation because it has very little flavor and unless I cut it with a sharp chef's knife it'll crumble and fall to pieces.

This week's #3 attempt is still too hot to cut, and needs to rest at least a day.

Either cream biscuits or a bannock, I can't remember which was more recent

Sorry for the rotated picture. I'm on an iPhone. I didn't take a picture of the outside of the bread but I was happy with this crumb.

I can see why. That's impressive.

Last time I did a brioche, but less sweet and added some fry onions and garlic

Really cool actually! It did had the best look but the taste was golden

Forgot pic

I don't have an oven, so mallard is difficult to achieve.

pls no bully

HOW?!

I mean it's a poor bun for exactly the reason you mentioned. But it has a decent crumb, and I wouldn't know how to get there without an oven. What's your hack?

Dough in bowl in pot of boiling water, don't touch the lid and pray to the pagan gods of yeast 'n crumb.

When I get brave enough I'll probably try it without the boiling water in a more sturdy pot,

that's pretty close to how they make bagels.

Maybe invest in a toaster-oven for a second bake if you've got the space and the cash.

Made some workhorse white bread that came out mutant shaped.

I had no idea that bagals were boiled it's good to know though. I was loosely following a south african steam bread recipe without the mielie-meal.

Strapped for cash and kitchen is tiny but hopefully moving out of this shithole soon.

Slice the mutants, no one will know the difference.
No really, looks good. Is that poppy?

Bagels are straight up boiled in honey water for 5 minutes. Then they are baked in a 600°C bread oven.

Your method is more of a steaming. 100°C is a bit cool for baking. You need steam, but below 200°C there's little chance of a crust. I preheat to 250°C and the crust only starts browning after half an hour.

A toaster or toaster grill could help.

It's poppy, papi. So of course I adulterate my loaf with minced wookie meat.

Boy I haven't made bread in years.

Would save me cash on buying bread but man I have no idea how to make any other bread than plain white flour one. I am also fucking lazy as shit.

That's the beauty of bread. Most of making it involves waiting for the gluten or yeast. Actual work involved in making bread: around 15 minutes including cleanup.

I put flour, salt, and water in a bowl, stir it, then wait a day.

Then I take starter or yeast and mix it in, wait another few hours.

Now comes the tricky part. You either have to knead the dough, or gingerly fold it into shape. This is a bit more mess because everything has to be covered in flour. Done in 5 minutes. Final rise: waiting some more.

Preheat oven, put dough in, put water in, close, wait. After 20 minutes I turn down the heat and then wait some more.

Now comes the most time intensive phase. I have to frequently enter the kitchen and look inside the oven to check the crust. Another 30-50 minutes usually does the trick.

Then I put the hot bread on a rack and let it cool, it's not done baking yet. Waiting some more solves that.

So making bread is mostly waiting, getting your fingers and counter top dirty once, and little 2-5 minute increments of work spread out over 2 days.

You don't actually save a lot of cash, bread is really cheap. You get better tasting bread that keeps longer and has only 4 ingredients. I guess you save compared to the pricing of fresh organic artisan bread.

For rye bread you need sourdough. There are commercial starters that just require a poolish which takes a day or two. Or you can grow your own culture, it's just stirring some flour into a jar every day.

Pizza™ Crust™!

It's the best bread!

I did this.
youtu.be/TGZWXlwcKu4

Was. Good.

*braaaaaaaaaaaaap*

It's been years, I want to get back into it but summertime and a small apartment mean I don't want to turn my oven on much.

oh man part 2
youtube.com/watch?v=9NSm2FMxMCU

I actually made bread for the first time the other day. It was just a basic white bread to get myself acquainted with the process. The stickiness of the dough started to piss me off and I had a hell of a time trying to shape it into anything that wasn't a deformed blob, but it turned out alright, if a little bit plain and pale looking. I'm sure it looks like shit to everyone who knows what they're doing, but I was happy with it for a first try. I'll be more adventurous next time.

For a first try that looks pretty excellent.

The crust could improve. Your crumb is great!

Mostly whole wheat with some pumpkin puree. Still waiting for it to cool off.

Also some oats?

standard 50/50 loaf my mum sometimes asks me to make, forgot to slash it

>mum
Good chap!

Just on the crust.

Thanks. I'm not exactly a good judge of quality yet, so I'm glad to hear that I'm on the right track.

Here's my newbie question for the more experienced bakers here. Is dough always so damn sticky? In everything I've ever seen, dough looks like a nice soft blob, not a goopy awful mess that wants to stick to me and everything in my kitchen. I think it was only agreeable for the first few moments of kneading, before it turned into a monster. I floured my hands, the counter, everything in an attempt to keep it in check, but it never relented. Have I been lied to all these years by beautiful photogenic dough, or was my dough just extra sticky for some reason?

It depends on how fluffy you want your crumb. To get that you need hydration. Wet dough is sticky.

The trick is to keep the outside covered in flour while the inside holds a lot of water.

Really fluffy breads can be like balloons.

Preheating for a hopefully fluffy ciabatta style no knead sourdough wheat.

5 hour rise with 3 foldings, final one just before the oven to get some shape. I'm about to turn down the heat soon.

Got a nice oven spring. There might be some flour inclusion from the late fold.

Smells good. The inclusion is definitely an issue. I'll see how bad it is when I slice it. But first it needs to cool.

Okay. Went alright. The corner is split, the rest of the slices are fine.

The crumb came out nice this time.

I just had the end with a bit of butter...

This one really came out good! It's fluffy with a crispy crust. The flavor is intense and very appetizing. They should all be like this.

When sometimes they instead end up like this.

Forgot to put butter in my dough. How badly did I fuck up Veeky Forums?

It really sucks when they don't rise properly.

Massively!
If you ever put butter in bread dough.

It's the porridge accident. The only reason that even made it to the oven was Sundays stores are closed.

Standard white loaf. Looking at some of the other ones in this thead I'm worried it's not going to be cooked all the way through. Currently resting.

Also god dammit why is this sideways. It's the right way up on both my phone and laptop.

Also I forgot to put any butter / oil in. What's this supposed to cause?

You can knock on the bottom when taking it out of the oven. The resonance tells you if it's done inside.

Bread is made from flour, salt, water, and leaven. No fats.

>no fats

unless you want to put fat in them

Hell, if you're in the US I guess you can add sugar and fat to anything without changing the name.

fuck off

Don't add too much salt though.

>why is this sideways
Your phone uses the orientation saved in the exif tag, which Veeky Forums strips to protect what little privacy you have left. It also contains GPS information.

Please don't be rude.

where do you live where stores are closed on sundays? i envision some kind of very quaint village.

Imagine hollowed out Christian dogma making voters think they can fix the world from the couch.

My first sourdough bread. I am a novice with bread, so i'd appreciate any input on it.

Well the crust is a little dark, maybe cut down the bake time a little. The crumb is excellent and impressive for a first sourdough. How is the flavor?

That's a pullman loaf, right? I've never used one before. Do they make the crumb dense?

Thanks. Flavor wasn't nearly sour enough. The culture was obviously strong enough for a good rise, but it didn't develop much funk.

I agree with the higher temperature. You turn it down after a bit, and you'll get the steam going hot.

Another thing that helps is retarding the rise by leaving them in the fridge overnight before cooking. It does wonders for the chew.

How old is your starter? Lactobacili take longer to thrive than yeasts and in the first few weeks they provide neither a lot of flavor, nor a lot of protection of the culture from infections. If your starter isn't that old, just give it a few weeks.

Is using a bread maker cheating? I have no room in my closet-sized apartment to bake for real, but god I love fresh bread

A bread maker takes up more space than it is useful. Basically it's a kneading machine, a task easily solved with a counter top and two hands. For baking they are perfectly useless, more drying the dough than baking it. The "bread" they produce has no crust, inferior crumb, and gets stale in 2 days.

You don't need room to bake. Just an oven.

I'll make ya'll a bannock tomorrow

Isn't that trail bread?

Do you use wheat?

Two parts oat flour, one part all purpose since that's all I've got otherwise. Then its salt and a bit of sugar, baking powder, and oil

Handy for outdoor cooking but you can make it on stovetop easy

You know what, I'll try all oat for this one, see if there's any deviation from usual

Let it sit in the fridge for a night.

I wrap in foil and let sit for a while

Why cold?

Just preservation. If there's leaven already in it slows it. That can be used as a technique. But this is just about letting it get nice and sticky to compensate for less gluten.

I'll be following you. Just got some oat flour and looking for things to make with it besides putting it in normal bread

>last bread you made
I got a pretty fat paycheck yesterday

Please enjoy your fresh saliva, Sir.

So, anyways, my wife bought a brand new breadmaker about a year and a half ago. I initially mocked her meanly due to the fact 1) she'll never use it, and 2) You can find mint breadmakers at the thrift store put there by all the other people who don't use them and eventually turf them.

So I was cleaning a few weeks ago and found this brand new breadmaker that was maybe used twice by her, and I was tempted to take it to the thrift store and see how long until she realizes (hint: never)

But then I realized the best revenge was to simply use it. So I started just making bread with it and rubbing it in her face that I was using it and enjoying fresh bread, which, to my surprise, was really good. I assumed that the breadmaker would cost more per loaf than store bread due to mass production, but I forgot flour, water, and oil are cheap and the biggest expense if yeast, which is still not all that much. I just toss them in, and 3 hours later, I have a loaf of bread. Pretty good deal since I have better things to do than knead dough.

The problem now is I need good recipes and don't want to experiment. I tried and egg bread loaf and it failed for reasons unknown, and I have been sticking with

allrecipes.com/recipe/22451/amish-bread/

tl;dr
Anybody good some good/diverse breadmaker recipes?

Here goes the doughs

3 cups oat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
Drizzle of vegetable oil

Dry ingredients mixed first then oil then about a cup of water

Mixed, was real sticky so coated and kneaded with more flour until it held itself together

Pan on stove, my dials are numbered so had it on a 4. Dough not sticky so no added greasing. Covered with cap of foil

Sry, all I make are no-kneads and sourdoughs. Those things are no good to me.

Have you ever tried making real bread?

Yeah, I tried making homemade baguette. It was a goddamn disaster since I have no idea how to use a clock effectively, among other reasons.

Of course the no-knead memester would be jacking off over his superiority over the bread machine

Not that guy but I've got a bread machine I use every now and then, it's perfectly fine. It's not the same as oven baked bread but as long as you're ok with the kind of recipe that works for a bread machine, they're pretty great

Let cook for a bit until somewhat browned and hard, then flipped

When other side was same, flipped again. Did so until each side was at the verge of burning

Tap the bread with spatula or fork, should have a crusted, hardish surface and sound hollow. Pierce with fork.

Didn't rise nearly as much as some other bannocks. Could have been too dry

Broke in half

Very dense

Very hot

Hey, baguette is tough.

Definitely hydration. More water is needed.

Flavor is pretty good, robust if I'm gonna try'n be sophisticated

Clean pan is important, as whatever remains when the dough goes in can adulterate the flavor. Once used pan that I'd cooked chicken in beforehand and didn't scrub off char well enough and bannock tasted only of burnt

Pretty small, but tasty. Would go good with a nice stew or maybe cheese. All I got is blackberry jam though

Overall I deem a success. Quick prep, not too long cooking time, and nice flavor. Could probably make several of these at a time and have a fair time's supply

why do you keep baking terrible looking bread and posting it here?

Last bread I made, promised ya'll I'd post pictures yesterday, because it tastes pretty good, and you could probably use the extra fiber to help get your head out yo ass

Don't get trolled.

Enjoy your bannock instead.

Is it possible to make a real loaf of bread with oat flour?

see
For an idea what kind of recipes those are (looong!)