Coffee thread

coffee thread

no coffee audiophile shit like $1000 grinders and $2000 espresso machines

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tTRKFkE32XE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I use coffee as a drug not a food.

Just buy caffeine pills then. It's cheaper.

>eating coffee
Nigga, coffee is not a food.

>tfw making single cups of coffee using a tea steeper

i feel like it's wrong in every way but it really doesn't make that bad a cup of coffee

i guess it basically is a very ghetto percolator in the end

I don't really like coffee

>you're

Not really all that different from how Vietnam makes their coffee.

But it can be used as both.

What about a $3,000 grinder?

I'm looking at this one versus a $1,700 Mahlkonig Tanzania.

More like a ghetto french press that's probably better than an actual French press. At least at filtering out the fines.

How about those vending machine iced coffee? Whenever I'm super thirsty and see pic related at the station I pick one up. Tastes pretty ok but I always feel like I just chugged a lot of sugar afterwards. It's owned by Coca-Cola so it wouldn't be too surprising if it was.

cowfee

>2016
>Not sexually identifying yourself as a beverage

Get with the times grandpa

Office has pic related and a deal with our manager to expense the beans.

TFW Everyone in the office is a self proclaimed barista/addict

Doesn't it get busy around the machine? How many people use that on a daily basis?

I'd get much too lazy to grind and brew a shot every time. I drink too much coffee at work for that to be efficient, so luckily we just use nespresso capsules which are quite alright

I do have a pretty ok setup at home though, for afternoons and especially weekends when I don't mind taking the time to make myself a proper coffee

I disagree

Right after lunch, 6 of us guys will stand around for maybe 10-15 minutes, shooting the shit and making espresso. Most of them will split a double so it goes fairly fast. I think i've gotten it down to 2 minutes, just stretch a bit while it's brewing.

People will come from different floors to use it at random times

> and then not refill the water.

I use a moka pot and a 20$ hand grinder.

Man I haven't had those in forever. I hated them when I was a kid because I didn't like the taste of coffee then, I wonder if I would like them now.

>get sick of regular coffee so decide to try a nespresso
>after a few months it tastes kinda shitty so decide to try the mokka pot
>get sick of all the fucking coffee grounds in my coffee so try a french press
>get sick of getting coffee grounds in my coffee, finally go back to a regular coffee maker again with filter

I expected so much but mokka and french press are bs, regular coffee is so much better.

French press and moka pot are both regular coffee, though?
I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

Couldn't you just use have your coffee more coarsely ground? Or am I an idiot?

Pretty sure he means coffee made in a common coffee maker with the filters and all that v.s. coffee made in a french press or whatever.

Plunger makers and moka pots are common as dirt.

god damn it you know he means a fucking drip coffeemaker you fucking mongoloid faggot fuck

>I expected so much but mokka and french press are bs, regular coffee is so much better.

Do you guys use a espresso machine? What brand? Are you guys happy with it? using pic related but I prefer normal coffee

I don't like 'em, too sweet, too much milk.

What's the best way to make iced coffee at home?
Leave a french press with cold water in the fridge overnight?

Nespresso makes some damn fine coffee, but the wastefulness of the pods is matched only by Keurig.

> also general Nestle corporate hate that's not worth going in to on Veeky Forums

This is top tier bait

reminds me of my first year or so of being into coffee. enjoy this time.

There is literally nothing wrong with owning a $2000 espresso machine

Pretty cool manager (assuming he isn't buying crap beans).

Strietman CT1. Grinding with Bunnzilla. Really got my routine mastered and every shot the past two weeks has been a god shot. Freezing the beans has been a great step for shot to shot consistency without wasting beans to dial in each day.

Looking to upgrade my grinder soon and finish my seutup (I'm )

>coffee audiophile

What the fuck? Why is no one commenting on this?

cold-bewers ww@

cold brewers ww@

I wouldn't think this would qualify as "coffee audiophile" but here it goes:
Is it bad that I measure out my beans by measuring spoon and not by weight?
I measure out two table spoons of beans for a cup of coffee.

I assume everyone (myself included) that has posted so far knew what OP was describing, that being people who get real snooty about coffee and top-notch coffee equipment.

I use coffee grounds in one of those reusable k-cup inserts for Keurig machines

there was a thread a week ago or so that compared espresso snobs to audiophile placebos like $10,000 headphones that aren't any better than 500 dollar ones

That's what I do. French presses are best for cold-brew

You're suggesting that "audiophile" is a byword for connoisseur, or enthusiast, or something, because audiophiles spend money on their hobby the same as other people with hobbies?

Ah-- thank you. I missed that thread. That lends context.

mason-jar cold brew master race, lightly crush up some blueberries and let them join the overnight party, brother.

It's a problem if you ever change coffees. Some can have more than a 50% weight difference for the same volume.

Audiophiles have a stereotype on Veeky Forums for being super snobs.
Go ask about it in a /g/ Headphone thread.

Cold brew is the only way to drink coffee in Arizona during the summer
Interesting....

coffee powered spaceship

Makes sense.
I'll keep it in mind and experiment with it if I ever happen to buy a new brand.

>not using $20,000 espresso machines

When will you Plebs learn?

ayy

Google disagrees

oy vey!

Fuck caffeine pills just use Adderall

i dont filter it through condensed milk though, or whatever weirdness it is they do with condensed milk

[spoiler]i sometimes mix the grounds with jam or chocolate powder to flavor the coffee though[/spoiler]

ironically and unironically, i really hate my french press for making weak coffee that the last cup of is always basically sand

for batches of coffee, i actually like taking a pot, putting coffee in my tea steeper's stainless steel thing, and just bringing the mess to a boil. kinda turkish-ish but not quite

imo
> resto percolator > resto espresso > my vietnamese-ish > my turkish-ish > home percolator > home espresso machine > instant coffee >>>> literal shit >>>>>>>>>>> literal water >>>>>>>>>>>>>> french press coffee

i only still use my french press because its fast and im lazy

>not having a water main hookup
literally why not, it seems used often enough to deserve one

A pourover cone goes a long way if you can be bothered to play around with the ratios, grind size and temperature. Quicker to make than a FP. More through extraction than a FP. Paper filter so there wont be any fines in the coffee. In the winters you can do a hot pourover. In the summer you can do a japanese ice pourover. Clean up = throwing away paper filter full of coffee

The biggest problem with it would be... Steeper learning curve. And the paper tends to absorb some of the oils from the coffee. But at the end of the day it all boils down to the kind of coffee you like drinking.

Too illegal.

I want a nonshit grinder. I have a job and money.

I should too, 3 dl (½ pint) between morning and lunch gets me all jittery and sweaty, gotta pee each other hour for the rest of the day. Nasty poison, aftertaste is shit too.

Fuck adderall I just use cocaine.

If it isn't hooked up to the water line with its own water softener, it isn't a real espresso machine.

Espresso without crema that will float an espresso spoon's worth of sugar forbat least several seconds is unfit for human consumption.

Hey mate, don't diss lever machines. That's the original espresso. The crema isn't as much as an e61, but the clarity is great and you can still get syrupy shots.

Not to mention that plenty of great SOEs don't make enough crema to float sugar.

>if there isn't enough burnt-tire tasting robusta in your espresso such that you have a dense layer of solidified off-red orange cum over the rest of the drink, you shouldn't drink it

What happened afterwards?
What's your story user?

>audiophile placebos like $10,000 headphones that aren't any better than 500 dollar ones
you know, that's actually objectively wrong.

I'd drink her coffee.

And by her coffee I mean her piss.

Nice try, but I will not post that image.

Neck yourself, weeb.

But user, negativity is what this board revolves around
Nespresso is indeed pretty good, but I would get too bored if I had nespresso both at work and at home. I like having a bit more control at home

I was somewhat surprised when I discovered this. Makes sense, in hindsight. Also, some beans are easier to grind (have a manual one), but luckily I don't need to adjust that

In general it's good to have a scale. I use 7-8g for single shot and 15g for double. It doesn't take long and then I don't waste any coffee.

Not that guy but with headphones, not including the source equipment, diminishing returns set in quickly past $300 or so. By the time you reach about $1500, anything more than that is just paying for bling. Those trophy cans like the Orpheus are expensive because they only made like 20 of them and everything is made of extinct dodo bird beaks and shit

With speakers it's a bit trickier to put numbers on these things because room response is such a large part of the equation, so do you count DSPs or active crossovers or bass traps, etc. You kind of have to consider the whole system, more so than with headphones where you can mix and match. But $10k isn't all that crazy of a number since you have to move so much more air.

With the horribly mastered garbage recordings people listen to, none of this matters anyway. There are probably no more than 500 commercial albums out there that are good enough to merit $1500 headphones or $10k speaker setups.

So what do you guys prefer, robusta or arabica? I don't frequent cawfee so I can't tell the difference but many say robusta has a more 'burnt' taste to it.

Good washed robusta should have little flavour but contribute to a more full bodied consistency in espresso. 5 or 10% are plenty, the rest should be Arabic beans chosen for their flavour characteristics.

youtube.com/watch?v=tTRKFkE32XE

What do i ask for when i order coffee. I have never ordered or had actual coffee in my life.

>order coffee
>I have never ordered or had actual coffee in my life.

Medium roasted pour over.

If they ask you what origin/country, just pick a Latin American country, like Brazilian. Anything except Colombian.

Has anyone else been finding they just can't stomach coffee the same anymore? I can barely finish one cup before I start to gag trying to drink it, even worse when I get this really delicious coffee from the cafe downstairs.

I still love coffee but I have to throw so much away because it makes me gag so much. This never used to happen.

You probably have gallstones.

Bought some high quality coffee from The Barn in Berlin and used my Chemex for the first time today. Don't think I can go back to my 80s filter machine.

What do you guys use for budget grinding? If I'm paying €20+/kg of coffee I want to have a decent grinder but I can't really afford to spend a lot. Currently using pic related (this is a newer model of what I use) which my grandma gave to me and it's hard to control how fine I want to grind.

>the barn
Good taste

I've got 2 different hario grinders, they are both basically shit

There's not a whole lot between the $30 mark and the $120 mark that is a real improvement though

With all the hipsters in berlin I'd think there'd be some kind of craigslist thing where you can pick up used grinders from some tatooed dirtbag for whom their $200 thing wasn't good enough

>budget grinding
>electric blade grinder

The best for budget grinding are manual burr grinders.

Unlike (roughly) four years ago when it was mostly the Hario Mini Mill, Hario Skerton, and Kyocera's grinder on the market, there's now a shit load of manual burr grinders in the ~$30 usd price range to choose from.

Thanks. I was aware that hand grinding has to be better, now looking into finding something for cheap.

> there's now a shit load of manual burr grinders in the ~$30 usd price range to choose from.
none of which are really any better than the three in question (protip: kyocera grinder = hario grinder, they are literally made in the same factory)

to get a grind from these things that isn't complete dogshit (and without ricing it out with a bunch of frankenstein mods) you just need to grind slowly on a stable surface

this is infuriating and only somewhat effective, the best alternative is just spend the money on a good grinder

Nah this has been going on or like a year and I don't have any pain.

It happens sometimes drinking tea too. I think I just overdid it with coffee for a while and acquired an aversion to it. Like some days when I just started getting in to coffee I would drink a couple of 9 cup cafetieres in one evening.

Light roast for entry level

bump for coffee

What's a good grinder to look into? Is a Baratza Encore good enough, as far as electric ones go? I've been thinking about getting one.

I bought a Skerton a while ago, as my first burr grinder. It's a pain in the ass to manually grind the amount of coffee I use in a day, and it's visibly inconsistent anyway, so it feels like a waste of time.

Basic with a generic stainless steel hand grinder and aeropress here.Don't think this one grinds as good as the last one before it broke though.

Probably going to buy a machine when this one breaks, tired of doing it by hand.

What's a decent grinderr? I was looking at a Rancilio Rocky. I want it to be flexible. But I was reading that there might be better grinders in that range.

I like the smell of coffee and the taste of coffee stout, but when I try to drink actual coffee it just tastes like dirty acidic water. what can I drink that has the same roasted nut flavor that's in coffee beer?

also the temperature that you get coffee at is way too hot to drink. are you supposed to let it cool down for a long time before you can actually drink it or is there some kind of trick to not burning your mouth?

I brew coffee well below boiling point, the steam from the kettle should be hot enough to sting but not boiling.
After brewing, you should be able to sip without burning your mouth.

I have a nespresso pixie machine. Its pretty good desu ive had it for at least a couple years. the nespresso proprietary pods are pretty wasteful like said and theyre kinda expensive. overall 7/10 would recommend

Yes, it's absolutely retarded. Might as well just be randomly dumping an amount in there, same result

Wilfa svart or Vario if you really want to shell out cash

More like the opposite. Dark roast is for dirty plebs who hate coffee. Light is for people who actually enjoy the flavour

>The crema isn't as much as an e61

I have nothing of value to add to this thread except to qualify this user's statement by showing (off) the ridiculous amount of crema that I get out of my E61.

>tfw you will never experience the manly man'ness of truly black coffee because all of this crema

Anyone here siphon? Is it worth the effort?

After a month if research I said fuck it and got a manual grinder, Lido 2 (I love it)

I wanted a gaggia MDF but couldn't find one in yurop. That would've been my choice for an electric one. All the others had all kinds of little faults from what i rear, but I didn't try any of them myself so can't say much about an electric grinder

How much coffee do you use up in a day? I usually only really do the whole thing in the weekend, and I grind about 30-45g in a day, 15g at a time.

Thoughts on instant coffee powder?