First ever bread attempt

First ever bread attempt.
What happened?
It also seemed really dense and super duper moist.

The side after cutting.

Did you forget the baking soda/powder? My gf did that once and had it come out similarly.

>It also seemed really dense and super duper moist.

You just made a Valleygirl.

The recipe didn't call for any
A who what now?

hahahaha FUCK
absolutely torched

You probably didn't let it rise long enough or your kitchen is too cold.

How long did you let the dough rise?

congrats you made bitter pound cake

That recipe would make an incredibly moist, dense loaf even if allowed to prove fully. Following that recipe in a bread machine would make a brick, which is presumably what you got

Alright, Here's what you do:
>Combine the flour with the salt(1 teaspoon)
>leave the sugar out.
>warm up a little milk (just WARM, like a little over room temp, otherwise you destroy the yeast) and resolve the yeast in it
>add yeastmilk, cheese, jalapenos and half the milk to the flour
>mix with your hands until you get a dough that's a little but not too sticky (it too sticky add flour, if to dry add milk)
>cover with a cloth and let rise for an hour at a warm place
>knead again, form loafs to your liking
>cover again, let rise for 20 min
>preheat oven to 170°C, bake for 30-35 min

I'm using a bread machine though. How does that change things?

what the fuck kind of bread has milk and sugar in it? are you sure you weren't trying to make a cake?

Supposedly instant yeast (the stuff which comes in small vacuum packs) doesn't need activation. So supposedly if you just mix it in with the rest of the dry ingredients before you add the liquid it won't suffer much from cold shock.

I've never worked with a bread machine... what does it do exactly?
The main points are
>Getting the dough consitency right
>getting the right ratio of yeast to dough
>letting it rise
>kneading it
>letting it rise again
>bake it

I don't have much experience with instant yeast, I always use fresh yeast, 20g on 750g flour/ ~300ml liquid

Bread machine does it all. You pour the ingredients in in an order, press the pre set for the type of bread (white 1 1/2lb for example) and you wait 3 hours.
It mixes and kneads and bakes.

is the concave side the top? if so, it seems like it rose too long and collapsed.

Well that's nice if you have a proven recipe and understand what, how long and at which temp the machine is doing...

Yea it was the top.
So how do I fix this? The machine does it auto so how do I fiddle with the ingredients to match what it's doing?
I wouldn't have bought one but at $2 for a bread machine I mean come on senpai.

Please bread friends

Instant yeast is sometimes sleepy or dead, best to add luke warm, slightly sugary water and only add it to the dough when stirring makes the yeast fizz like mad.

Where did you get a $2 bread machine? It doesn't look kneaded enough, looks like it flopped either because the dough was weak or it was left to rise for too long. When yeast fails there tend to be very small, consistently sized bubbles in the crumb.

too much milk probably

Doesn't that much milk usually warrant the use of corn starch?

Kek

Not that guy, but in most places you can get them for free or next to nothing on craigslist
People get them as gifts and never use them and want to get rid of them
I've got two: one that I got for $15 and one that I got as a gift, later
I gave away the $15 one and kept the gift so my mom wouldn't be upset
I use it about once a year when I don't feel like heating up my apartment with the whole fucking oven for 2 hours

Got it at an estate auction. White Westinghouse is the brand.
It also doesn't seem cooked enough to me. There's like no crust.
So cut down the milk a bit?

>dense and moist
Best kind of bread desu

>enriched breads

If you cut out the milk entirely and use water instead it'll probably taste better, less of that unusual clammy flavour and more like bread. Don't know why most machine recipes call for milk.

Maybe I'll give this a go next try.