Things you should have in your kitchen

I'm starting.

Alcohol.

To get shit faced on while you cook.

So it makes it not suck.

a dishwasher amiright? fuck dishes

These are super useful

i guess cloves are okay, but that's not the first spice i'd buy.

not gonna lie I almost want to buy this thing

I have that same mortar and pestle! That things great, use it for everything

Blenders, rice cookers and microwaves are essential appliances

A nice potato brush. Pic is not related

still dont have one
just use a rolling pin and a large tough coffee cup

Food, or a woman.

I hear they make food for you.

You're half a century late m8's.

If you want the most disgusting and unhealthy posible food, probably half of it frozen precooked shit not even done well due to a failed attempt of creativity, sure, go ahead.

At least I would have someone to eat with.

a decent knife
dutch oven
food

Looks like a lice comb

Salt
Fish sauce
Onion
Water
Carrot

They're supposed to suck your cock while you eat

These are a fucking bitch to clean. I prefer to use a slotted spoon

I have one but use it as an ashtray

That's the face of a man who takes his beans seriously. He probably grew up in the Depression and beans were his staple dinner. I bet getting ham in them was a Sunday treat. I'm picturing him crumbling cornbread and buttermilk into his navy beans & ham with a cup of strong black coffee before working in the mines all day.

Or he's just a weird old fuck. Stop fetishizing the past

Fuck that, I'll fetishize anything I goddamn well please. If I wanna get freaky over an old man eating beans, then hell or high water I'm gettin' freaky over it. It's not half as bad as you fucks with your Natural Harvest bullshit. That ol' man is gonna bury a pick in your skull, mark my words.

Fucking Salt and Pepper.

he's happy about his beans. some people are bitter they can't be happy.

A good vinegar. You can make a shitton of simple, delicious sauce recipes requiring only common ingredients and a good vinegar.

Also, a high-powered blender. They always seem more expensive than they are worth at first, since they can be 10x the price of a normal Target-tier blender, and they do the same thing - blend, right?
Nope. A professional level blender can make all the things a regular blender makes, but much better, plus make soups, make smooth sauces a regular blender can't handle, turn dried stuff into powder or granules, work like a food processor, do all kinds of shit. Use mine almost every day.

everyone keeps shilling the vitamix and I kinda really want one, but it costs more than all of my kitchen equipment put together

Yeah, I thought about it for a long while and after I bought it, I was sure I'd have buyer's remorse.
I really do use it almost every day, and I don't regret a dollar of it.

I've heard that Blendtecs are basically as good, and cheaper as well (though still more expensive than a basic blender).

Or you could just wash your hands like a human being

how am I supposed to clean this?

I end up not wanting to fry stuff more often because cleaning is such a hassle.

Reminder:

change towels on a daily basis otherwise you're getting tons of bacteria on your hands when you dry them.

double the uses of a tool, literally absolutely basic kitchenutensil, more important than a knife

I keep a toothbrush next to my sink for that kind of thing

This, make sure they're sturdy as fuck because you end up using a strainer for so much

I even keep several mesh sizes so I can sieve out things to my liking

>want to buy super fine tamis like we use at work for smoothing purees etc
>they're fucking crazy expensive
I never realized. Those things are like two or three hundred bucks.

How loud is the VItamix? I have a $20 blender/food processor and I honestly don't use it as often as I should simply because I can't stand how fucking loud it is.

It's pretty loud, tbqh. It's got a serious motor on it for a blender, and you can tell.

Pretty loud. Any blender that is of decent power will be loud. It's physics.

If the noise bothers you that much then the best advice I have is to get one of the models made for use in drink shops or bars. They have a cover which goes over the blender jar and makes them much quieter.

Pic related is an example. Both Blendtec and Vitamix make these.

What do you typically use it for? My mother in law bought me a Vitamix and I almost never use it. I don't often cook anything that requires blending. My wife occasionally does smoothies in it.

I'm pretty sure everyone here already uses this.

I'm not the guy you're replying to, but I consider a commercial blender to be indispensible. Here are some things I use mine (blendtec) for:
-making ground meat (faster & less cleanup than the meat grinder)
-pureeing soups and sauces for a smooth texture (far better than you can get from a hand blender)
-making salsa, pesto, dressings, marinades, etc.
-smoothies, milkshakes, etc.
-grinding whole spices into powder
-making my own peanut and almond butters

Interesting. I'm still pretty amateur, so almost all of those things you listed are things that I just buy already ground/blended.

Oh, a bunch of stuff.
I make green smoothies pretty regularly, and a normal blender leaves the greens chunky.
I also make almost all the sauces I cook with, and this thing is killer for making smooth sauces.
I make a variety of "creams" from nuts/seeds like soaked cashews/sunflower seeds.
I make my own nut butters in it. I could never go back to store-bought peanut butter after this thing.
I make soups in it from whole vegetable ingredients, can be very tasty.
I make flours in it from grains and beans.
I grind dried herbs / veggies into powder seasonings in it.
It came with a cookbook that had even more ideas, but if you don't have it, I think the Vitamix website lists a bunch of ideas.

I really do use it almost every day.

I'm the Vitamix dude, but I hear Blendtec is just as good and cheaper, so that might be a better option.

Also, I was pretty amateur at this stuff when I got mine a couple years ago, but it's worth the practice. It's often way cheaper to do these things on your own, rather than getting the pre-ground/blended stuff, and it's often way better tasting. Spices especially, you really have to buy the extremely high-quality expensive stuff in the store to get near the quality of grinding your own. Plus I can make sauces to my exact specifications, so they come out better tasting to me and I can use healthier recipes than most of the store-bought stuff.

Question how you made powdered sugar with it, and if so is it as fine as the 10X stuff from the store?

Also same question about smooth peanut butter.

>I consider a commercial blender to be indispensible. Here are some things I use mine (blendtec) for:
>-making ground meat (faster & less cleanup than the meat grinder)

That's not ground meat. That's puréed meat.

I mean c'mon, it even says it on the can, it's great on everything!

Are you guys white or from a western country?

>powdered sugar
1 tablespoon corn start for every 1 cup of regular sugar.
You have to blend it on a really high setting to get a fine powdered sugar, but it is possible with a high powered blender, yeah.

>smooth peanut butter
As long as your peanuts aren't too old and dry, you can just throw peanuts into the blender and slowly up the speed of the blend. You will get peanut butter just as creamy as the store bought stuff.
If it they are dry (or if you just want it a little more oily), you can add just a tiny bit of oil. Most of the store bought stuff uses canola oil or something along those lines, but feel free to experiment. I generally don't use oil in mine.
What I will add is seasoning. A dash of salt and a sprinkle of cinnamon is great. Sometimes I'll throw a few dates in there instead. Or pumpkin spice (I use this wherever I get the chance).

Ask for a mixy at your local Indian storestore. They are cheaper and a lot more durable, have one which is almost a decade old

*corn starch, not "corn start" lol

Ahhh thanks man. That thing is pricey as hell, but I think I'll start setting some money aside for it.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try to crank up the Vitamix a bit more.

I make soup in it. my favorite is oven roasted tomato. just roast the vegetables and solid ingredients, add broth and blend!! it's a blessing

Thanks for the reply. I always worried about investing in one for those with the idea nagging me that you'd need a concher/melanger like pic related that's used to turn cacao beans into chocolate to get commercial level results that even a Vitamix couldn't achieve.

It's now on my Christmas list (unless some refurb stock comes up for sale on Black Friday).