Picky Eater Hate Thread

Picky eaters shouldn't be thought of as snobs, they should be thought of as children.

youtube.com/watch?v=UBFuNyJRcSU

>vegans

wow I always thought I was just a picky eater, but I'm ocd, hate it when different foods touch on my plate, and reject vegetables and seafood. do I actually have an eating disorder?

i know a friend that refuses to eat grilled onions because the texture is icky...don't really see him eat much vegetables except lettuce.

Capsicums are disgusting, even when chopped up into food I can still see and taste it. The smell knocks me sick.

Chilli peppers I'm alright with though strangely enough.

It's cultural. If you grew up in the midwest, for instance, there is strong social pressure to eat "normal food" which is generally starchy, bland, salty, and deep fried. In many places even so much as making your friend fries out of something "crazy" like yuca or sweet potato is instagram-worthy gastronomic bravery.

But there are lines which must never be crossed. For instance, suggesting that overconsumption of fast food hamburgers might not be so good for you is basically equivalent to advocating homosexuality, pedestrianism, and other subversive behaviors. It is, as they say, "vegan logic". And anyone who suggests that vegetables might be desirable as food, or that a person might choose to eat them because they LIKE eating them, is clearly trolling or insane.

I can eat (or not eat) whatever the fuck I want you stupid bitch

Are you retarded, or potentially surrounding yourself with retards?

t. Lifelong hoosier

I can't eat fruits. The cracky texture of apples when you bite them, fuck that shit. Even the smell throws me off.

Trying to conquer it, tho. Currently won the battle against tomatoes. Tuna + cheese + tomatoes is fucking great.

One of the most compelling reasons that I want to open my own restaurant is so that I can have a big brass engraved sign right next to the door that states;

"The menu is served exactly as stated, no substitutions, additions, or changes of any kind will be made. Any vegetarian or vegan dishes are purely incidental and no guarantee can be made on cross-contact with meat. If you have a serious allergy to something you can't see explicitly started in the name we recommend you eat elsewhere.

>won the battle against tomatoes

For some reason tomatoes were one of the last things i stopped being picky about

I still can't stand the innards of a tomato even as a cook. Its purely a texture thing because I love the tomato flavor.

As a kid I thought I hated tomatoes because anytime I had them there was a goopy mess of slimy innards spilling all over my food.

I would go there as often as I could just to support it, user. You're a good person.

> If you have a serious allergy to something you can't see explicitly started in the name

That doesn't really make sense even ignoring the spelling. Why not simply say, "if you have a serious food allergy we recommend you eat elsewhere"?

Lots of people have common allergies to things like shellfish and peanuts but these are usually usually explicitly in the title of a dish. I don't want to be a cunt to people with actual allergies but I don't ever want my staff to waste time running to the chef to waste his time about whether there is gluten in the apple crumble.

Yeah the way he wrote that kind of implies you're safe to eat as long as the food you're allergic to is in the name of the dish.

I really don't consider myself picky, but I'm not a fan of nuts or pecans in pie or ice cream. If I have a choice for an alternative I'd go for it, but I won't turn it down.

Bacon is not food

So are you really planning on listing every single ingredient in a dish? That sounds crazy impractical. Even a basic dish could have a very long list.

At this point, I can enjoy eating anything but peas. I don't really get the picky eater mindset, it's pretty much entirely psychological. Why give your brain that kind of tyranny over you?

I don't consider myself a picky eater, and I'm not OCD, but divided plates are THE. BEST!!

I was never actually picky growing up but I'd say the variety of foods I got were limited (small town SC, what ya gonna do)

When I got to college I basically ate nothing but burgers and pizza and doritos and tendies. With a shit ton of soda.

Now that I'm in my thirties I look forward to trying anything new, especially when it comes to international cuisine.

However there are a few things I just can't get into
Asparagus: can't stand it. tastes weird to me. though I'll try it again every year or two just to see if my tastes has changed.

Pineapple (i'm cool with it however when it's just an ingredient in a recipe)

Dried coconut flakes (like on the icings of cakes)

Red Beets: again, tastes weird. Kinda like them pickled. Golden beets are awesome though.

Had a roommate in college that was a super picky eater. She'd only eat meat, cheese, noodles and bread. No vegetables at all. Can't remember if she liked fruit. Only time I ever saw her eat vegetables was when she'd put an entire block of Velveta cheese on broccoli but only the tops, not the stems. She cut those off and threw them out.

One time I took her out to eat at a place in Chinatown that served pho. Figured she'd like it cause it was meat and noodles. Forgot the broth had green onions in it. She spent fifteen minutes picking out all the "green things" before she would eat it.

So...you hate children?

Disliking some foods doesn't make you a picky eater. There is nobody on earth who likes ALL possible foods. Just because I think its disgusting when my 5 year old eats a cold cuts and ketchup sandwich with a blueberry bagel for bread doesn't make me a picky eater.

Things that DO make you a picky earter:
1) Only eating a very small number of foods.
2) Refusing to try any unfamiliar foods.
3) Excluding entire food groups. You don't hate vegetables, you just haven't found the right way to prepare the ones you like.

>selective eating disorder
how does one treat this?

i don't like conflicting textures in food
like i hate bacon on anything unless the bacon is soft

Consult a psychologist/therapist

There are easier, less costly ways to be a dick or see allergic reactions happen.

As much as I hate fussy faggots, refusing to cater for people that will go into anaphylactic shock upon any kind of cross contamination is just you being an ass.

murder is the only way

A list of things my sister calls "gross":
all seafood
all fish (excluding fish sticks)
milk
yogurt
raw tomatoes
onions (except fried)
mushrooms
eggplant
pork
mayonnaise
mustard
whatever she decides to not eat that day

She is the queen of tendies and fries

seriously, your autism could be put to much better use. what did jake from iowa do to you?

How old is your sister?

Has she ever tried any tube steak?

Fucking this. The midwest has just about as much adventurous food for anyone who is willing to seek it, plus I was able to start eating adventurously after only eating mac n cheese and hot dog-type-shit for the first 8 years of my life.

I'm definitely not picky but there are definitely some things that I can only eat in small quantities because of the texture like bananas, yogurt and flan.

the only thing that I really just cannot eat in any shape or form is anko (red bean paste), which im lucky is very easy to avoid

She be succ on my tube steak all day long.

>kc bbq
>omaha steaks
>fresh water fish
i guess if you consider chicago midwest there's a huge regional cuisine there

I live in the midwest now and there's a large german influence plus basic american taste. Things like "spice" are unknown but "cold salad" style starters like potato salad, macaroni salad, and cottage cheese are common along with grilling brats, hamburgers, beef and pork ribs with sweet sauce, etc.

people just ignore it because they think it's "bland", i.e., american. If i went to a Chinese household and gave them brats with cole slaw and macaroni salad they would consider it very regional and exotic.