Al/ck/oholics thread

How are you guys holding up? Anything you need to get off your chest?

I've finally cut drinking when i wake up and go to work, successfully just drink at night and get wasted on days off. I always feel tired as shit plus sous chef quit so i have to do 2x the amount of work i used to, going on two weeks no days off

by drinking im talking 6-12 beers wasted at like a full bottle of Evan

Hey, it's a start. I found that when I went from just getting wasted every night to drinking during the day is when my life really went to shit

So my entire family has a history of alcohol and drug abuse. How do i not become a degenerate drunk like most of my kin?

Alcoholism is in my family as well, and it sucks to say it, but really the only way is to just be completely sober, never start. I have some family who saw what alcohol did to my family and they've always refused to even have a beer and they're fine. Others are raging alcoholics

I'm 1 month sober. I know that's not very long, but it's the longest I've been sober in probably 5 years at least. After the first week it gets easier, but damn do I still wanna just go get wasted. It's hard to keep having to remind myself why it's better not to

stay strong buttface

im pushing 10 months sober. i told myself id quit for a year and then try to be responsible with it. i doubt thats gonna happen though, i think i might just have to be done for good.

I'm not exactly an alchoholic but I have a binge drinking problem. Two weeks ago I completely flew off the handle and was drunk for 3 days straight, had a 2 day hangover where I did nothing but lay in bed. Could barely even keep water down. I did that two weekends in a row so I think I need to take a break, been two weeks now and I'll probably do two more. Will my tolerance ever come back? I've quit for like 3 months before but was still able to drink as much as I did before that 3 months when I started again

Did you try fucking off?

nice, keep it up. I want to get back to the point where I'm ok drinking socially, just having a few beers with friends and calling it a night, but I know deep down I'll probably never be able to do that. It sucks I live in Wisconsin though, where pretty much every single social event is based around drinking. I get looked at like some freak if I say "nah I'm not drinking"

>tfw in an abusive relationship
>tfw can't decide if better off having drunken freedom with controlling bf or living with family but have to hide drinking for obvious reasons.

>I want to fucking kill l myself all the time

It sounds like you give both parties their way. I wonder if that includes staying alive. You shouldn't end your life.

Every time you feel like a drink remember how good it feels waking up in the morning without feeling like someone has put a tomahawk through the side of your face

>I want to get back to the point where I'm ok drinking socially, just having a few beers with friends and calling it a night, but I know deep down I'll probably never be able to do that
yep, me too. i know if i buy a 6 pack and open one then im gonna drink the whole thing and then go get more. but maybe things can be different.

How long have you been in the relationship?
How abusive is it?
What's wrong with living with family?

Hey guys.. I have a problem with binge drinking. I can go about a week sober. Then I'll be drunk on vodka for 2-5 months straight. Then I'll want to quit, and go through withdrawals. The problem is.. this is a cycle for me, and the withdrawals get worse every time. The first time it was just rapid heartbeat, panic attacks, and bad dreams... with my most recent episode of withdrawal it has escalated to visual and auditory hallucinations, extreme paranoia, extrememe depression, extreme anxiety, insomnia (sleeping for 3 minutes at a time) , profuse sweating, jumping at the slightest sound, intense full body shakes, blah blah blah. It goes on and on. What is this? The "kindling effect?" Anyways.. I've stopped again because I know it will only get worse and worse. I really don't want to get DTs, although im sure I'm nowhere near that level

Many times, but it's not a permanent solution.

Exactly, I've started working out at 6am before I go to work now too, so getting drunk the night before would ruin my workout which helps me not drink

Blacked out again. Woke up on the couch with the heater blaring. I made burritos last night but can't remember what time. I think Frasier was on tv so probably about 1:30 am.

I'm no doctor but I noticed the same thing after drinking a long time, I got to the point where even one night of moderate drinking would bring about big withdrawals. I'd feel like my nervous system was totally shot. Your withdrawals are boardering on DT's though man, if you do that again seriously detox in a hospital. When hallucinations start that's when you know shit is getting bad

>Start feeling a lot of anxiety.
>Drink at bars because I can't stand being alone and want to be around people.
>Get sad at bar thinking about things that have gone wrong and people I miss.
>Go home and drink by myself.
>Fall asleep.
Repeat.

I need a meaningful relationship to snap me out of this.

you need to straighten your shit up, user. people will never make you happy it up to you to take that step to be the person people want to be around. i've notice people that befriend those in a weak state are rarely trustworthy.

>I need a meaningful relationship to snap me out of this.
That's a shit attitude. Your improvement must be internal or nothing will change.

Agreed. I always told myself I'd quit drinking so much if I found a girl or made some better friends. Took me a while to realize that I wasn't deserving of either of those unless I got my shit together

If you desire a relationship, then it's on you to make yourself a suitable partner.

On the other hand, you could go 100% solo and cut off all family and friends, and work paycheck to paycheck for fast internet and sweet 4k media.

There's pros and cons to both positions

binge drinking is insanely dangerous. a lot more people die from it than you probably know.

5 years ago I probably had a dozen drinks a month. Starting about a year ago, my consumption has just skyrocketed for some reason. My alcohol tolerance seems to be pretty insane, I drink about 10oz (.3l) of 80 proof rum per night, get decently buzzed and wake up feeling fine for work the next day. I have to drink like half a handle (30 oz, .9l) to feel really messed up, which I virtually never do. My problems with this is that I'm buying about 4 handles a month so it's a little pricy, but worse is I've gained like 15 pounds (6' 200lbs now) the past year and it's exclusively because of this. I need to figure out a way to cut back and lower my tolerance again. I'm good about not getting plastered when I start to feel it so if I could feel it sooner I'd drink less. Something I've recently started trying was to always have a tall glass of water along with the mixed drink, and only get refills when both are empty. It helps but I drink close to 3-4 gallons of fluids a day so it doesn't work super well.

So about this time a year ago I was in my third month of complete sobriety. By fall I was ready to commit to school in a meaningful way for the first time since high school.

I decided to get on a CS/EE track and refused to take remedial math classes that I probably needed.

Anyways, sixth months sober TO THE DAY, I decided that my life was absolute shit, I was lonely and although sobriety had brought my life a type of stability, I felt completely isolated socially, and totally frustrated academically.
That day after I bombed another math quiz, I went to the store, bought a pack of smokes, bought a fifth of vodka and two large gatorades and ended my sobriety in a vacant parking lot at a park nearby my (read: my parent's) house.

So, fast forward almost a year, I'm in a high level calculus class, my gpa for the last 3 quarters has become acceptable, and up until about a month ago my drinking was more or less under control.
It has now gotten to the point where I am drunk almost constantly on my days off, which makes my hangovers bleed into the work week, which in turn is fucking up my grades(at least in math) to the point where I may have to actually retake this class.
All in all, I'm considering rehab during the break but idk if it's for me, and frankly I'd rather just do it myself.
Oh well.

I've given up drinking. It's been fucking hard to do but I feel so much better already.
First day in and I'd kill for a beer.

>Wake up
>"Today's the day I'm gonna stop drinking!"
>Go to work
>Pick up a tall beer and a bottle of wine on the way home.
Existence is suffering.

>Wake up at 1pm
>"I'm never drinking again"
>9 pm
>"I hope this fifth will last me two days" (it won't)

Are you me? Or one of my co-workers?

I'm just another dude who is fucking up, man.

fuck this is too real......

I want to try rum

What's some rum that I will find at my local supermarket for less than a million shekels?

How terrible is Captian Morgan?
There's a pirate on the bottle

>be on the line
>bourbon and ciggs all day when I get home

fuck. fuck everything.

>There's a pirate on the bottle
The instant sign of quality.

Try some LSD. It could help.

I like sailor jerry's.

I make a fucking premium drink with it too.

>2 or 3 shots of high proof rum
>Dole pineapple juice
>Lime Perrier

fucking try it and tell me its not the best.
I like SJ because it has a nice vanilla taste in it that I don't find in other rums.

I find that if you just become a pirate, every alcohol can be quality.

I agree

It's why I only buy the tequila that has a sombrero as the bottle cap on the rare occasions that I buy tequila

w2c LSD? Do I ask the weedman?

You can ask but it might be bullshit. If you live in a major metro and go to college or know people who do then it shouldn't be too hard.

There's always the dark web..

But yeah, I had a revelatory time on LSD, I fucked it up taking shrooms shortly after but if I had stayed away from the peer pressure, I probably could've been put on a really productive, semi-long term timeline.

>Implying there's anything wrong with my life besides my loneliness.
I'm in fine shape, have hobbies, make good money, and work a good job.

At some point you need intimacy to complete you. Otherwise you're just bitter.

I've worked 10 days in a row these past 2 weeks and gotten drunk every night to cope with boredom
question is what is a good tasty beer to get drunk off while on my days off
pic related

Actually I'm polytox but I quitted everything but weed and alcohol a year ago, with some relapses,
Now I build up a shitty routine of drinking a beer after work everyday and like 8-10 from thursdays to saturdays.
It's better than my routine some years ago, but what fucks me up is that I get more miserable. I'm in a relationship and get more and more easily jealous for shit that's only in my mind.
Also I can't stand my drinking buddys anymore, who were my anchor through really bad times.
I get more and more antisocial and I'm afraid I'll fuck up everything positive I have left in my life.

finish work, go drinking, 4 beers in decide to buy speed. Snort speed, stay up all night listening to techno, finish 2 grams. Go to work at 10 am still awake and wired as shit. Finish rest of speed, start coming down around the dinner rush, buy more speed, finish shift, go drinking, rinse and repeat. Do fri/sat/sun all 14 hour shifts without any sleep. Somehow I manage to hide all this from my girlfriend.
2 weeks sober now, 22 years old and ruined alcohol and drugs for myself forever.

Hi al/ck/oholics
I thought that this would be good place to ask about good beer.
My only experience with beer was drinking horrible store brand beer and now i want to give beer another chance.
I like generally bitter drinks so what kind of beer would be good to try?
Please don't recommend small specific brands because i live in Finland and availability here is horrendous.

Sounds like you would enjoy a more hoppy beer. Pale ales generally fit the bill; some better brewers also include the IBU (international bitterness units I think) value on the label - the higher the better.
Generally, just try offerings from smaller breweries, if you have any local ones do tours since there will usually be tasting opportunities.

Thank you, I hope my local shop has at least some pale ales, its sad that local drink culture is abysmal and state has monopoly on alcohol.

I forgot to add, I'm a train driver.

>14 hour days as a train driver.
In the US we're only allowed to work 12 hour days by law.

I don't think I'm a full on alcoholic, but I'm fairly sure I've got some kind of drinking problem.

I've never had any kind of withdrawal symptoms, but I have a near constant compulsion to be at a bar.

I hate my life and everything about myself, but when I go to the bar and get trashed, I can surround myself with normies and pretend everything is ok.

My entire life is learning and drunkenly telling shitty jokes in an effort to make these people that I don't care about think I'm funny.

I'm very hungover at work right now and feel terribly guilty for spending so much money last night.

>I'm a train driver.
Well it's not like you're going to drunkenly swerve into a group of pedestrians

>bf
Assuming you have a penis the inner /pol/ack in me would say "take responsibility faggot" but if your partner is being controlling to the point where he isn't okay with you simply hanging out with friends, especially if its guy friends because it means he's a weak and insecure fuck (which would apply to vice versa with controlling gf), then break it off immediately.
And when its over you can bake yourself some brownies and return to /comfy/ mode because relationships and dating in 2016 is the most garbage thing in existance.

Try El Dorado 5 year old.

Been off the bottle for 2 weeks now (after drinking a bottle of vodka a day for months, and bottles of wine before that started). Doing great, actually, my mind is working faster and better, and I'm exercising every day, but I'm having anxiety about keeping off the bottle later this month. My SO is going on a 4 day business trip across the country, and I don't do well alone. If I had friends to hang out with and keep me busy, it might be different, but 4 days alone.....this isn't going to be pretty, and I'm really worried about it.

im in loooooovve with a stripper

I've got a minor aclcohol problem. I just think any problems I have are entirely intentional. Gone a full year before without touching it (after some of my worst alcoholic years) because I had goals I was striving towards and a positive social network. If you are not trying to accomplish something may as well just drink and be degenerate though.

Boss man called at 6 this morning, said no work today. Been drinking ever since.

Why are these threads always a bunch people bragging about how they are sober? You sad sacks should fuck off to your own thread and let the rest of us talk about how much of drunks we are. If you're sober all these threads are going to do is make you think about drinking.

Last night after i worked all day, rode my spin bike for 45 minutes, then mowed my grass in the sweltering heat i put a six pack in the freezer until it was forming ice crystals, then i pounded that sweet nectar down. So satisfying. There's nothing better than ice cold beer after long hot day.

I just had pancreatitis almost a month ago. Doctors said I could never drink again. I'm 24. I really miss it. Its hard to be around friends that do drink and you don't. But I'm starting to get used to it.

I've been drinking once to twice a week for about 5 years.
I stopped drinking for about two months, but now I am back at it. I drink more frequently, but in smaller doses. Sometimes I'll just have two shots a day.

Alcohol has lost all it appeal. It's gross. It never makes me feel good. It's just a stupid habit I come back to out of boredom. It never seems to interfere with my life though.

Get a new game or something, or since you are on here how about trying out some new cooking related stuff? That should keep you busy for a while.

Not an alchie, but this didn't deserve it's own thread

I've got a bottle of limoncello, the cream kind. Is that supposed to be a full drink, or is it meant to be consumed as a shot?

>work out in the evening instead of the morning lately
>can't drink before working out
>am now drinking probably 50% less than i used to
>sucks to cook dinner without a beer to sip on though

1-2 times a week is moderate and completely normal. I think at least. Unless you get super wasted and embarrass yourself and your friends twice every week.

As a shot, just out of freezer.

For me it's the opposite. I can find something semi productive to do like exercise, cooking, mowing the lawn, cleaning my guns, or whatever. But when I'm with my brother or friends, I always have a beer in my hands.

I don't really know how to break the habit without going full antisocial.

I almost lost my job so had to cut back.

Only doing light evening drinking with raging Fridays and Saturdays.

Sunday I just have to bite the bullet, been skipping some weeknights to make it easier too.

some medication for you folks to google

my doctor put me on a beta-blocker called Metoprolol

reduces anxiety, reduces desire to consume alcohol. i dont know how it does it, but it does. also lowers blood pressure. also cheap.

its like being a different person when i take it. when i stop, i really get the cravings again.

Six months is awesome user. You've proven you can do it, so make that decision whether you want to do it again, every time you're tempted. But I know how hard it is, and I'm in no position to judge.

My record for sobriety is six weeks. Haven't had a cigarette since early March though, so I can comfortably say I've quit smoking now. Don't even want one that bad, even when I think about it. I miss cigars though.

The booze is harder to kick permanently. Every night is long and restless, and a constant struggle to resist getting a drink. Tonight included. Haven't drank since Sunday. I don't drink every day, but when I do it usually spirals out of control and I'll drink constantly until I pass out (sometimes takes days), and feel so sick afterward that it takes days to recover. Money, health, self-esteem, and the state of my flat all take a big hit during those benders. Lately I've been able to restrict it to a few beers before bed, but it's a dangerous game.

The way I get through it is two-fold: First, I redefine myself as a non-drinker. Do I want to get drunk? Nope, non-drinkers don't want drunkenness, they want the grown-up benefits that come with sobriety. I keep telling myself that every time the craving forces a tough decision.

Second, I practice Neuro-linguistic Programming. Mental exercises that reduce unwanted feelings like cravings, phobias and so on. Self-hypnosis works as well, though it takes longer to get into. The NLP stuff is pretty instant though. Give it a go:

simonarich.com/nlp-techniques

I have a great NLP technique that's not on that site if you (or anyone) wants it.

>its like being a different person when i take it.
I don't like the idea of that. I do like the idea of something to reduce my anxiety that isn't alcohol, though.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of anxiety did you have that your doctor prescribed it for you?

general feeling of unease. always on edge

Shouldn't you loser babies be posting this garbage and fishing for sympathy in /r9k/ or some other pussy channel?

and btw doc prescribed it for high blood pressure due to alcohol, as well as its effect on reducing cravings. not for anxiety.

>If you're sober all these threads are going to do is make you think about drinking

Actually, reading about how alcohol has ruined everyones lives in these threads helps me stay sober

+1 upvoted and gilded

Ha. My doc tried putting me on Metoprolol, and I had a horrible allergic reaction to it. Never again. I take clonazapam to cope with not drinking, but sometimes it's not enough, since it's a low dose (1 mg), so I supplement with Benedryl and chamomile tea.

>Anything you need to get off your chest?

>feel like im losing my mind lately, slowly encroaching "trapped behind my eyes" feeling making everything almost panic worthy, this has never happened before but now it doesnt leave
>extreme ocd that i cant control, made worst by the severe lack of sleep ive been getting because of work.
>friends think im bullshitting when i try to ask for help
>their idea of an intervention is reminding me of every flaw thats driven me to drink: i need assurance that everything ISNT shit, not that it is
>losing ability to trust gf about intimacy after a stupid long stretch of "we'll have sex soon i promise" with it never happening
>work is mundane and i feel incredibly misplaced
>the only thing that fixes any of this is getting so hammered i cant move

That 2.0 is delicious. I generally like hefeweizens. Franzikaner is good. But usually I go to the local brewery and fill up a growler.

where do you work...i could probably be a shefffff

>I have a great NLP technique that's not on that site if you (or anyone) wants it.
Well?

I can confirm everything that user said is true. My doc did the same gave me metoprolol and it literally helps all symptoms it seems. It even stops my shaking hands.

Recently have inflammation in the ankles and wrists. Looks like high levels of Uric Acid, symptoms of onset gout. Shit sucks.

Couldn't walk too good the other day.

6 days sober. Girl friend of 2 years just left me because of my drunken ways.

Not looking like she's coming back. But still talks to me so maybe there's hope.

I have a decent job and friends but things seem bleak right now.

box wine

i will kill him when i find him

Sorry for the wait, I didn't post it because I didn't know if anyone was interested, then I went out for a bit. Here, I'll greentext it:

>get comfy and close your eyes
>think of the time when you were most affected by the craving/phobia/anger/whatever
>visualise being in an empty cinema, front row, centre
>on the screen and coming out of the speakers is that scene you thought of, being affected by the problem emotion
>make the image slowly shrink and distort and make the colours fade
>make the sound fade and distort
>make the whole scene disappear until it's just a white dot on the screen and some faint hissing
>dot disappears and you're left in dark silence
>the lights come up in the cinema and you get up and walk out

As the scene is diminishing, so should the problematic feeling diminish. As this is happening, you can anchor the effect of this exercise by making a simple hand gesture like the "ok" sign (pic related). After repeating the exercise a number of times, performing that gesture as you feel the effect, the effect should become anchored to that gesture in such a way that you can actually trigger the effect without closing your eyes. Just perform the gesture and you will feel that effect automatically.

Hope this helps you guys as much as it's helped me.

>not an alchie

Then fuck off retard

amen to jealousy and anti-social

I really hate anxiety the most

BTFO BY A REAL TRAINSMALE

I enjoy drinking beers and certain alcoholic drinks.

My first taste of wine however was emptying an enitre bottle of red wine (I'm a small guy) and had the worst hangover of my life. Any of you guys have tips on entry-level red wine bottles to pick up?

I don't think I'm a true al/ck/, but I do love to drink.
The start of the last year welcomed me with a huge panic attack. I had to quit on the very last semester of school and had to take another year. It has gotten bad enough that I had to quit the part time job since tutoring isn't good for anxiety, I rarely go out at all, even for groceries. Even talking to my closest two friends gives me crippling anxiety. Alcohol really helps me in this regard, and I know it isn't what I should be doing, but fuck taking pills. Good news is that I graduated this year with honors, didn't go to the graduation, and decided to have one bottle of wine to not waste myself entirely when I want to drink. Baby steps.

>wine
>awful hangover
That's typical

I forgot to mention that has since then made me loathe the taste of red wine. I would however like to begin drinking it again, mostly a glass or two accompanied by food.

What's your price range? You probably have to spend at lease $10 to get a decent bottle of wine.

I probably would have been better off starting the one medication I'm on now 3 years ago instead of becoming an alcoholic. But back then, there was no way I could have known, it was probably going to end up the same eventually.

I've never had a serious drinking problem, so whatdoIknow etc., but it seems pretty logical not to want to get trashed because a relatively short period of "warmth" and euphoria aren't worth hangovers, broken property, binge eating and calories from alcohol, embarrassment, etc. etc.

That is, that's why I don't get trashed. Pretty simple decision. If the positive effects were much greater, or at least offset the negatives much more, then it'd be a different call.

But hating or disliking "regular life" probably has more to do with it. If you aren't going to be enjoying yourself even if you are sober, I can see why you'd want to have substance-induced happiness or numbness at the expense of hangovers/other bad effects, since you wouldn't feel great even absent the hangover.

I do the exact same thing. It's like I don't even try to resist.